Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you watch in standard or High Def?

• 23-01-2010 12:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering how many of you are HD equiped, be it LCD or HD service providers such as Sky etc?

Would you favour a HD broadcas over SD?
    Do you prefer watching a standard 350MB tv show, compared to a 1.1-1.2GB 720p HD show?

Just getting sense who has access to what and what prefrence people have.....me?

I tend to vary, say Dollhouse or Heroes i'll go for the 720p but something like Gossip Girl i'll just do the lower res. Sadly i don't have Sky HD but my tv is ready for it! :)

It does seem more and more shows/channels are doing HD, which is good. Hopefully soon SD broadcasts will be done away with.

Do you watch standard or High Def ? 124 votes

Standard
    0% 0 votes
    High Def
    36% 45 votes
    Both
    32% 40 votes
    Don't have access
    31% 39 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I downloaded the top gear artic trip and watched it through my laptop on the TV,Was brilliant!So clear..Can't justify getting the HD sky though..Will wait for a low price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

i always go for hd 720p!!!

Every show i get has to be that, although the 350mb ones are fine i just think if the episode of whatever im getting is good, i want the quality to be good!!!

i have like 3 Tb of space so i have to fill it somehow!!!

Edit, Would never go for sky hd though!!! its not worth the money!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Well i find some of the lower res. tv shows to look ok on the tv, from a distance. But you can *definately* see a big difference in the 720p....the colors and clarity of the image i much better + it's AC3 surround 5.1 :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

I always go for 720p versions of everything these days, "standard" avi files look way too blocky on a 40" HDTV... the only exception I make is with DVD rips of older box sets, which I might watch on the go, etc... The only problem is bandwidth, those 1.2GB files really start adding up :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Always HD with DD5.1 if available. I'll usually wait now for the HD version, even if there is an SD version already available.

Used to get 1080p, but since getting a netbook which can only handle 720p I've now dropped down to only getting that, in the offchance that I will want to watch it on the netbook on the go.

Personally, I notice the difference between SD and HD 720p, But I really can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p when I'm sitting 6ft away on the couch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Put simply..

I go HD for shows that "deserve" it - Lost, 24, Battlestar Galactica (when I did watch it), Supernatural, Chuck etc.

But for comedies like Modern Family and 30 Rock, a 175MB SD rip is sufficient.

PS - Wouldn't waste my money on Sky HD.. far too expensive, limited and I don't watch enough on it to warrant it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Films I'd go for HD but tv shows it's not worth my bandwidth. I've been over the limit for a while now and fear the day I'll be clamped again.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Films I'd go for HD but tv shows it's not worth my bandwidth. I've been over the limit for a while now and fear the day I'll be clamped again.
    TV shows are not worth the bandwidth... yet you'd download 5GB for a 90min - 120min film? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

sometimes i download the 720p version for good shows like Supernatural , Stargate Universe and the rest i just download the sd version

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I go for standard. Feck that I couldnt be bothered waiting longer to get an episode than I need to. Once I can make out whats on the screen Im not bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I too go for the standard version for the same reasons (mainly impatience).

I've watched Lost S4 and S5 on Blu-ray now and while I would acknowledge the picture is richer than on the SD version I watched originally, it made no difference to my enjoyment of the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I have recently cancelled my Sky HD service as I feel it is not worth the extra €15 a month especially as I don't watch sport and rarely watch the movies. So for the extra few channels it really is not worth the money. Also with Discovery and Nat Geo shows are often only on the SD version at first, a HD version may follow a few weeks/months later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I watch anything I can on BBC HD as Im using a Sky HD as a FTA receiver. But that's it. Ive yet to purchase a BR Player, IMO the Blu Ray DVDs are just to expensive when compared to the equivilent DVD. Ive a few HDDVDs but they were going cheap.

After watching a few shows on BBC HD Im in no hurry to drive into the HD world just yet. SD content does me fine and I couldnt justify the high price of HD content.

I also have a Netbook so I wouldnt even consider downloading HD shows either.

I've got an MSI U130 Netbook....it can play 720p OK, to a point.....if there is fast moving parts frame rates drop, stupid Atom. Moreso stupid Intel embedded graphics, pity ION based Netbooks are soo expensive.

What do you use to play HD content? The VLC Player?

Its not so much that my Netbook wont play HD content, is more to do with that SD content looks fine on a Netbook and are small in size.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_lite_codec_pack.htm

K-Lite codec pack, pretty much every codec supported....it's software based decoding though, Intel's embedded 3150 GPU is just too weak or simply dosen't support hardware decoding. Some Netbooks have third party hardware decoders on the PCB such as Broadcom, nVidia ION is best....Nettops have ION. Higher end Netbooks as well.

basquille wrote: »
    TV shows are not worth the bandwidth... yet you'd download 5GB for a 90min - 120min film? :eek:
    Everythings in divx so the HD stuff is coming in at 2gig. I'm not saying every film I download is in HD but I'd only consider going for the HD option when it came to films, SD is more than enough for TV shows IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Combined Community Codec Pack is the best to download in my experience.

Anyway, standard def all the way, since I watch on the XBox on a 4:3 TV, no point watching on a poor quality laptop screen. Also IMO Sky HD is a waste of money unless you love sport, and I love sport but haven't got a decent telly.

Everythings in divx so the HD stuff is coming in at 2gig. I'm not saying every film I download is in HD but I'd only consider going for the HD option when it came to films, SD is more than enough for TV shows IMO.

Blu-Ray rip = 8GB :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Sky HD. When you have watched sport, new series and movies in HD it's very hard to go back to SD.

• Advertisement

2 GB's is a BD simply encoded to a DivX at higher res and bitrate - slighty better than a 1.3 GB rip, but far from a BDRip. The encode process takes away from the HD quality also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

rednik wrote: »
    Sky HD. When you have watched sport, new series and movies in HD it's very hard to go back to SD.
    Not at all. I notice hardly any difference with Sky Movies. The quality has gone downhill lately. Not worth the €15 HD tax.

What do you guys for playback?....WD Live TV?, i personally use an LG BD-370. Blu-Ray drive wth USB port, it supports divx/avi and importantly .mkv HD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

What do you guys for playback?....WD Live TV?, i personally use an LG BD-370. Blu-Ray drive wth USB port, it supports divx/avi and importantly .mkv HD.

Xbox mostly. Lack of MKV support is somewhat annoying (especially for an animé head) but probably next year I'll put together a "HTPC", basically just a HD capable graphics card, loads of storage and bluetooth support. Add whatever codecs I want etc.

basquille wrote: »
    2 GB's is a BD simply encoded to a DivX at higher res and bitrate - slighty better than a 1.3 GB rip, but far from a BDRip. The encode process takes away from the HD quality also.
    Probably but you'd have to know the difference, which I don't. All I know is HD divx looks spectacular when compared to any other compressed format and doesn't require terabytes of space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Not at all. I notice hardly any difference with Sky Movies. The quality has gone downhill lately. Not worth the €15 HD tax.

Well all I have to do is watch a movie on 301 and look at SD then switch back to 313 and the difference for me is obvious in HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Mac Mini with Plex (http://www.plexapp.com/) - it's overkill really, but plays everything flawlessly, looks gorgeous and is awesome at pulling media info for all the shows/movies, etc from sources like IMDB or TheTVDB...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

720p all the way. I got a WDTV Live recently and its great being able to watch hi-def content. Before that I was using XBMC which was limited to SD. I could never go back.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

A dell studio hybrid. One of my better investments. I tend to always go with HD rips although I got a standard def episode today and it only took 2 minutes. Gotta love that upc. :)

• Advertisement

What MB broadband are you on?

Advertisement