Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off site Data Backup

• 23-01-2010 12:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭

I'm afraid I'm not a techie, but I am the most tech savvy employee in our small business, so it falls to me to look after our IT issues.
    We run a server (Linux based) which backs up overnight to tape.

Recent events (a blown electricity transformer in our business park) have me thinking of the security of our data, and I'm wondering if the tape system is enough - our business has grown in the time since it was installed.

I'm thinking of looking at an online backup service, but I know the concerns that will be brought up by the powers that be -

How safe is it to entrust our data to a 3rd party?
    (The hacking event right here would concern me that it might not be that safe?)

How expensive is it?

Can anyone recommend a service that they've used?

Apologies if I haven't used the correct terminology, but I'd appreciate any advice...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Moved to C & T at the OP's request.

-Funk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

(posting to subscribe)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭walter sobchak

(Hope it's not verboten to bump in this forum)

Still looking for advice if anyone can help.

I've seen a couple of old threads on here, but have found very little up to date and unbiased opinion on the subject, particularly as regards security of data held by a 3rd party.

Oh and another thing I didn't include in my post, but was mentioned to me...

Apparently a lot of the time involved in getting back up and running would be taken up by re-setting up our domain, users and passwords and access rights etc.
    I believe it's possible to mirror the hard drive on the server to include the operating system (linux) and all the user info etc.
    Can this be done using an online service, or should I run it say weekly on an external hard drive? (Clonezilla was the software mentioned)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭roberthurley14

if you have a small business you could look at GoogleApps which does a free Cloud solution for 50 users i think google.com/a

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭walter sobchak

if you have a small business you could look at GoogleApps which does a free Cloud solution for 50 users i think google.com/a

Thanks Robert - I had been considering using Google Mail for our domain name email, as we have had a couple of issues with our website host, who also host our email on their servers.
    Not sure if the powers that be would entrust all our data to them, with the recent hacking and all.
    I'd probably rather an Irish based company I reckon.

Has anyone any expreience with
    http://www.irishdatabackup.com/
    http://www.cinfinity.ie/about-us/why-cinfinity/

or any other Irish companies?

• Advertisement
Advertisement