Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which exchange am I on

• 23-01-2010 12:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am trying to find out which exchange I am on.

I have tried smart telecoms line checker:
    http://www.smarttelecom.ie/line_checker.aspx

but I get this error message at the top of the page:
    Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection. Parameter name: index

I am in the ClareHall shopping centre.

Regards,
    Noel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Clarehall isn't enabled by Smart so you won't get an answer from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

The Smart checker used tell what exchange Your on, not just the Smart unlooped ones, but its not working for me either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Clarehall isn't enabled by Smart so you won't get an answer from them.
    Thanks. Any idea what exhange I would be on? Or how I would find out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I will have a guess and say it's the Belcamp exchange but Clarehall might have their own small exchange. I'd be suprised if smart aren't in Belcamp.

I don't think there's an easy way to find out what exchange you are on anymore. If you already have a line, calling eircom with your number may work, even if you're with another company. Point is, I think none of the online checkers tell you anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭the_law

Find the nearest Eircom box and read the code on it.

Pole boxes (about 5"x10", and located on telephone poles or fronts of terraced buildings) will have a 3 or 4 letter code, then six digits. Occasionally it's the letter code then '1'.

Cabinets will have similar codes without the last three digits.

For example in Aungier street you might get a box on the front of a building saying SHP008nnn.

SHP = Ship Street exchange
    008 = This box connected to cabinet 008 (corner Lower Mercer St and York Street)
    nnn = Box identification number

Look up this document for a key to exchange codes.

Edit: Belcamp is here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

^^The above is reliable in that if the label says so, it's usually true. But Dublin has a habit of having unusual exchange boundaries and people may live on a street connected to a further exchange than people on the next street up, where there is a cabinet for another exchange. Also, sometimes they're labeled wrong full stop. One cabinet on the South Circular Road was labeled for an exchange over 6 miles away, I can't remember which exchange code was on it though.

A much bigger issue is that the DPs as eircom refer to them, are more often than not unlabelled in my experience. My estimates would be 60/40 or possibly twice as many have no label as have one.

For my home, not a single junction box is labelled for 2 miles on my road that one exchange covers before it goes underground. One had permanent marker labelling the DP number and cab number before it faded away in months.

Advertisement