Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton V Birmingham City -3PM Setanta Ireland

• 23-01-2010 1:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

200px-Everton_FC_Crest-colour.svg.pngV 100px-Birmingham_City_FC_logo.png

TEAM NEWS

Everton

The Toffees are without Aiyegbeni Yakubu and Joseph Yobo, both away at the African Cup of Nations. Dan Gosling and Jack Rodwell could both return from hamstring injuries. Although Birmingham are on top form I feel we'll have too much for them today.

Last Line-Up (v Man City): Howard, Baines, Heitinga, Distin, Neville, Bilyaletdinov, Donovan, Cahill, Pienaar, Fellaini, Saha

Birmingham City

New signing Michel could make his debut for the Blues at Goodison. McLeish has no new injury worries.

Last Line-Up (v Notts Forest); Hart, Carr, Ridgewell, Johnson, Dann, Bowyer, Larsson, Ferguson, Jerome, Benitez, McFadden.

I can see us dominating like we did in the league fixture but they're so solid at the back and they'll always have a chance. I think we'll go through, winning by just the 1 or 2-0 scoreline.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

3-1 to Everton methinks. They should have too much for the Brummie blues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Rumour flying about that Mikel Arteta will be on the Everton bench.

I would cut off my left testicle for this to be true. And I'd cut off my right one to have him come on for 20 minutes.

I would like to see;

Howard

Coleman ---- Heitinga --- Distin ---- Baines

Fellaini

Pienaar
    Neville
    Donovan

Cahill

Saha

However, I rather suspect Moyes will play Neville at left-back, leaving us with someone like Osman in the middle.

2-0 to Everton, I hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Columbia wrote: »
    Rumour flying about that Mikel Arteta will be on the Everton bench.

I would cut off my left testicle for this to be true. And I'd cut off my right one to have him come on for 20 minutes.

I would like to see;

Howard

Coleman ---- Heitinga --- Distin ---- Baines

Fellaini

Pienaar
    Neville
    Donovan

Cahill

Saha

However, I rather suspect Moyes will play Neville at left-back, leaving us with someone like Osman in the middle.

2-0 to Everton, I hope.
    Neville at LB? I think you mean RB mate. Neville is our best right back, he has been immense the last two games there. If we are winning with half an hour to go then sure, give Coleman a run out but the back four against City was fantastic and should be kept the same IMO.

Voltwad wrote: »
    Neville at LB? I think you mean RB mate. Neville is our best right back, he has been immense the last two games there. If we are winning with half an hour to go then sure, give Coleman a run out but the back four against City was fantastic and should be kept the same IMO.

Sorry yes, naturally I meant right back instead of Seamie!

If it aint broke don't fix it, I suppose. But with players coming back from injury I think there are guys out there, especially Bily, who do need a rest.

Sorry yes, naturally I meant right back instead of Seamie!

If it aint broke don't fix it, I suppose. But with players coming back from injury I think there are guys out there, especially Bily, who do need a rest.
    Bily does look tired I'll agree. If Osman is fit then he should and probably will leave Bily on the bench, given we're playing Sunderland on Wednesday

• Advertisement

Arteta confirmed on the bench!

http://evertonfc.com/news/archive/arteta-makes-bench.html

Everton starting 11: Howard, Heitinga, Bilyaletdinov, Saha, Donovan, Distin, Cahill, Neville, Pienaar, Baines, Fellaini.

Subs: Nash, Arteta, Vaughan, Osman, Coleman, Duffy, Baxter.

Unchanged starting 11 it is.

Arteta confirmed on the bench!

http://evertonfc.com/news/archive/arteta-makes-bench.html

Everton starting 11: Howard, Heitinga, Bilyaletdinov, Saha, Donovan, Distin, Cahill, Neville, Pienaar, Baines, Fellaini.

Subs: Nash, Arteta, Vaughan, Osman, Coleman, Duffy, Baxter.

Unchanged starting 11 it is.
    Would be very surprised to see Moyes risk him against a dogged City side.

Just happy to see him there and involved mate, for him personally and for the club as a whole. It's been a very, very long time :)

Just happy to see him there and involved mate, for him personally and for the club as a whole. It's been a very, very long time :)
    If he does come on, there'll be some noise made by the Goodison crowd.

"He's the best little spaniard we know!!!"

If we're 4-0 down with 5 minutes to go, I'll still be watching just in case he comes on!

Even if it's with 30 seconds of injury time left, he needs to hear what his return means to Goodison. I'm sure he knows anyway, but he needs to hear it!

• Advertisement

All down to Baines wasting that free kick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Very good goal. Commentator mentioned that carr was having an unusual injury free season so don't be surprised if he gets injured today and is gone for the rest of the season

2-0 Birmingham a really really good goal

This is ****e from us, utter ****e

Disappointing from Everton, but I always had a sense we would not hit the same standards against Birmingham as against the class of Arsenal and the money of City.

Birmingham ruthlessly efficient though, Everton have been hitting long balls in at every opportunity, Birmingham have cut them out, chosen their battles, and it's going to be very difficult to score two against them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Another Benitez winning comfortably at Goodison.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    No need for a cocky kopite, who knocked you out again?

Anyway we've spent the entire half around their box and done sweet FA with it, they break twice and score twice. Moyesy's got his work cut out, these guys don't concede many.

Voltwad wrote: »
    No need for a cocky kopite, who knocked you out again?

Anyway we've spent the entire half around their box and done sweet FA with it, they break twice and score twice. Moyesy's got his work cut out, these guys don't concede many.

Credit where credit is due tho two very well worked goals and Birmingham are a good team in great form

Why aren't you watching your own team?

Oh yeah, because you couldn't beat relegation fodder from the Championship over two legs.

Howard Webb doesn't seem to be having a great game he's giving a lot of small frees but won't make any big ones

• Advertisement

OSMAN you beaut. Great goal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

wow, that first half was the worst even ....

non event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

another successful season for a cocky red...

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

anyone see senderos' girlfriend....not too bad!

All of a sudden Birmingham are first to all the second balls, they're looking good for the win

Game over.

Fair play to Birmingham, they took their chances and we didn't.

Thought we were going to get it back in the end, but they are too tight defensively, I hope and expect they'll go far in this competition.

Great to see Arteta back, he got a brilliant reception.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

all everton fans here?

how did fahey get on for the brum? i saw the assist for the first one but did he have much influence on the game?

it seems to be former pat's manager day on setanta so i thought i'd show some interest in a former player. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Everton should have won that will all the chances they had in the second half...

Saha coming off looked strange. Didn't looked injured to me and he was threatening to score just around the time of his substitution...

Think Saha's change might have been precautionary, he was getting ice put on his hamstring immediately after he came off apparently. Hopefully he'll be okay again for midweek, but you do always worry when it's Saha.

Otherwise I think we would have left him on and played 2 strikers rather than sticking with 4-5-1, especially when the 1 isn't great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement