Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tarmac depth for driveway

• 23-01-2010 1:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭

HI All,

I am getting my driveway done soon and have gotten a few quotes. One quote is for 2 inch SMA and I was wondering if this is deep enough? The contractor came recommended by some friends of mine and they do a good job.

My main concern is that I have a wood pellet boiler so will have a lorry delivering pellets about twice a year and the driveway is quite steep.

Cheers,
    Lastbuilders

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dunlopwellies

I think you should get priced for concrete also. It’s a far superior finish in many respects. Will last forever provided it’s placed correctly. You can have it coloured and also textured to look like paving brick etc. It may be a little more expensive initially but will defiantly pay off in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

2 inches is plenty because they will lay a layer of 804 underneath and roll it well.
    its the base underneath thats more important than the top layer.
    no matter how well the job is done i wouldnt bring a very heavy lorry on it because it could get ripped with the wheels locking around corners.

mossfort wrote: »
    2 inches is plenty because they will lay a layer of 804 underneath and roll it well.
    its the base underneath thats more important than the top layer.

and even better if you've had a couple of years traffic on the temporary driveway, I haven't got around to surfacing my driveway yet.

I have found that during the build, I frequently had to level the 804 into the ruts (I have approx 10" of 3" down as a base) for the first couple of years but now only had to level once in the past year. I now have issues with "potholes" rather than sinkage.

Advertisement