Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Format HDD for xbox?

Options
  • 23-01-2010 1:46pm

I need to get a hard drive formatted for use in an old Xbox. It's a fairly simple procedure but I need a desktop computer and only have a laptop. Micro Ireland in Thomas St did it for me before but I handed another one in on the 14th and they still haven't got it done. I'm getting the impression they don't want to do it. I think it only takes a few hours.

So my question is would there be anywhere like Micro Ireland that would do it for me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

I need to get a hard drive formatted for use in an old Xbox. It's a fairly simple procedure but I need a desktop computer and only have a laptop. Micro Ireland in Thomas St did it for me before but I handed another one in on the 14th and they still haven't got it done. I'm getting the impression they don't want to do it. I think it only takes a few hours.

So my question is would there be anywhere like Micro Ireland that would do it for me?

If you do this every so often invest in either a USB hard drive enclosure, or a USB docking station (maplin have both). The first is usually relatively cheap - then you can plug into the laptops USB and do the job yourself.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Is it an ide hard drive? If it is, you can get a usb ide adapter in maplins and do it yourself. I have one in a drawer in work that I used to try to recover some date before. You can borrow it if you like.

MarkR wrote: »
    Is it an ide hard drive? If it is, you can get a usb ide adapter in maplins and do it yourself. I have one in a drawer in work that I used to try to recover some date before. You can borrow it if you like.

It is an ide but will that work? I have to boot off a linux bootable dvd and then use it to format the hard drive. Will it detect the hard drive through usb when the laptop is working off a linux bootable dvd i.e not in Windows? Are you familiar with upgrading the old xbox hard drive and know that the adapter will work? I don't think so I'm afraid....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 51,251 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Try one of the console forums, you might get a solution there from someone savy with this kind of stuff before spending money.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=527

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

What do you need OP?A pc you can swap around the hard drives just to format it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Moving to Console Modding forum. Those guys know their stuff, and should be able to help.

Mr E wrote: »
    Moving to Console Modding forum. Those guys know their stuff, and should be able to help.
    I actually remembered the services offered section of the Console Modding forum about an hour ago! :o Stupid me! I've contacted one of the guys offering xbox services. Sorry again! Please don't ban me as I posted this in the Limerick City section first.

What do you need OP?A pc you can swap around the hard drives just to format it?
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Yes.

I could sort ya out probably with a loaner

I could sort ya out probably with a loaner
    You mean loaning me a desktop? Wow that's very kind of you but I've actually contacted one of the guys doing this very procedure in the console modding forum so I think it'd be best to go with him. Thank you again for the offer. I think/hope I'm sorted :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement