Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Mobile complaints procedure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭detective

Meteor took E250 from my bank account after I ceased our contract legitimately. They were absolutely awful to deal with.

I called Comreg and it was sorted in a week. I got my money back.

Comreg is the only way to go they were excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

cardol wrote: »
    @tallus How do you contact the regulator? I'd love to know.

Clicky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭cardol

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Comreg.ie is where you will find all you need about the regulator but before they will get involved you must first make a "Formal Complaint" to your operator by letter or email and ask for a reference number for the complaint. Then give them ten working days to fix the issues and if they don't you can then ask comreg to get involved.

Thanks foggy_lad:)

tallus wrote: »

Thank you tallus :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

I was with meteor from when I was about 14 years old right up to 20, when I changed from pre pay to bill pay. I had a data add on package which cost me an extra 10 euro per month.

However - meteor cancelled the data add on package and failed to inform me. Weeks later, I recieve a text message stating I had exceeded the data I was allowed and the costs had exceeded 250 euro. I called them up, furious, because there was no way I could have exceed my package, I had the phone for almost a year and never managed to exceed it.

I called customer care and spoke to an extremely rude arrogent man, who told me I clearly did exceed the package and there was no point in me pretending not to know how it happened, as I was the one using the phone. Frustrated, I demanded to speak with his supervisor, which he refused to allow -- instead told me if I wished to speak to someone else, I would have to call back.

I hung up and called back - speaking to a lady the 2nd time. She was very helpful and spoke to her supervisor for me. She came back on the phone and told me that there was no data package on my account - that it had been cancelled two weeks previously. She told me her supervisor would call me back. They never did.

I called the 3rd time to which I was told that it wasn't data that ran up the bill -- that it was international calls (which were barred on my phone)

I finally recieved a call from a guy named Pierre and he told me there was no package -- it had ben cancelled effective from the start of the billing period. He apologised for any confusion and told me he would adjust the bill and would clear the data charges. About a week later I was going on my j1 so I cancelled my plan and instead took the cheaper option (20 euro per month), and paid 100 euro before leaving Ireland - so as my account would not be in debt.

I came home in august and my phone would not work. I called meteor From the airport -- who told me to call back in an hour as their systems were down. 6 hours later - still down.

Call the next day - I'm informed my account is 1300 (give or take) in debt. WTF? Bear in mind - this is August.

Obviously this is outrageous and clearly incorrect. I await contact from meteor who told me a supervisor would contact me. I recieve bills each month whilst waiting -- adding on more money to the bill. Despite my best efforts to contact them -- it seemed like I was just wasting my time. I called them repeatedly, each time to be told someone would call me back. Told to pay the amount or there would continue to be more added onto it.

I emailled them, wrote to them, called them. No luck.

In march I recieved a letter from their solicitors, demanding payment. That was the final straw. I called them again, threathening to get my solicitors involved too. I recieved a call back, saying that they were awaiting adjustment on the bill. Recieved a final call back stating that it I just paid the contracted 20 euro per month (from august to march) so a total of 120 euro, they'd write off the rest. Livid that I had to pay for a contract I shouldn't have been in (should have expired in sept), I paid it anyway, over the phone and demanded a reciept from them as per my solicitors instructions.

Speaking with someone in credit control - I was told - in broken English - that meteor did not issue reciepts to payments recieved over the phone. I told him I was not paying unless I recieved a reciept of payment, and he eventually said they would have their solicitor write to me, again, stating the query had been dealt with.

The next time however that I heard from their solicitors was last october stating I had ten days to make payment or I'd be brought to court and be held liable for both sides costs, that I was still in debt.

My solicitor then wrote to meteor - and I recieved a call from their solicitors saying that meteor had contacted them the day after they sent the letter, to say that the account had been settled and that it was an honest error.

Almost two years on - I still haven't recieved my reciept!!
    I would never ever ever deal with meteor again.

• Advertisement

I was with meteor from when I was about 14 years old right up to 20, when I changed from pre pay to bill pay. I had a data add on package which cost me an extra 10 euro per month.

However - meteor cancelled the data add on package and failed to inform me. Weeks later, I recieve a text message stating I had exceeded the data I was allowed and the costs had exceeded 250 euro. I called them up, furious, because there was no way I could have exceed my package, I had the phone for almost a year and never managed to exceed it.

I called customer care and spoke to an extremely rude arrogent man, who told me I clearly did exceed the package and there was no point in me pretending not to know how it happened, as I was the one using the phone. Frustrated, I demanded to speak with his supervisor, which he refused to allow -- instead told me if I wished to speak to someone else, I would have to call back.

I hung up and called back - speaking to a lady the 2nd time. She was very helpful and spoke to her supervisor for me. She came back on the phone and told me that there was no data package on my account - that it had been cancelled two weeks previously. She told me her supervisor would call me back. They never did.

I called the 3rd time to which I was told that it wasn't data that ran up the bill -- that it was international calls (which were barred on my phone)

I finally recieved a call from a guy named Pierre and he told me there was no package -- it had ben cancelled effective from the start of the billing period. He apologised for any confusion and told me he would adjust the bill and would clear the data charges. About a week later I was going on my j1 so I cancelled my plan and instead took the cheaper option (20 euro per month), and paid 100 euro before leaving Ireland - so as my account would not be in debt.

I came home in august and my phone would not work. I called meteor From the airport -- who told me to call back in an hour as their systems were down. 6 hours later - still down.

Call the next day - I'm informed my account is 1300 (give or take) in debt. WTF? Bear in mind - this is August.

Obviously this is outrageous and clearly incorrect. I await contact from meteor who told me a supervisor would contact me. I recieve bills each month whilst waiting -- adding on more money to the bill. Despite my best efforts to contact them -- it seemed like I was just wasting my time. I called them repeatedly, each time to be told someone would call me back. Told to pay the amount or there would continue to be more added onto it.

I emailled them, wrote to them, called them. No luck.

In march I recieved a letter from their solicitors, demanding payment. That was the final straw. I called them again, threathening to get my solicitors involved too. I recieved a call back, saying that they were awaiting adjustment on the bill. Recieved a final call back stating that it I just paid the contracted 20 euro per month (from august to march) so a total of 120 euro, they'd write off the rest. Livid that I had to pay for a contract I shouldn't have been in (should have expired in sept), I paid it anyway, over the phone and demanded a reciept from them as per my solicitors instructions.

Speaking with someone in credit control - I was told - in broken English - that meteor did not issue reciepts to payments recieved over the phone. I told him I was not paying unless I recieved a reciept of payment, and he eventually said they would have their solicitor write to me, again, stating the query had been dealt with.

The next time however that I heard from their solicitors was last october stating I had ten days to make payment or I'd be brought to court and be held liable for both sides costs, that I was still in debt.

My solicitor then wrote to meteor - and I recieved a call from their solicitors saying that meteor had contacted them the day after they sent the letter, to say that the account had been settled and that it was an honest error.

Almost two years on - I still haven't recieved my reciept!!
    I would never ever ever deal with meteor again.

Whew! Thanks for that, I know now to keep a record of everything that's going on with my current situation with Meteor. I can't understand why they don't keep customers details on a database that they can all access. It seems everytime you to speak to someone in Customer Care, they haven't got a clue what their colleague beside them has done with you in a previous phonecall! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Absolutely. Ask for everyones name. Date, time and the name of each person you speak to as well as what they say should be kept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Absolutely. Ask for everyones name. Date, time and the name of each person you speak to as well as what they say should be kept.
    Better still never ring them! as they can ignore phone calls but can't ignore emails or letters!

And with emails or letters you have a record of the interaction which you don't have with phone calls!

Better still never ring them! as they can ignore phone calls but can't ignore emails or letters!

And with emails or letters you have a record of the interaction which you don't have with phone calls!

I think that they ignore emails and letters. And I'm seriously considering calling them from my landline, so I can record using my mobile....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dmaccc

Little Ted wrote: »
    I have an ongoing issue with meteor regarding a faulty phone. Like you I was getting no where with customer service. Instead I put my complaint in writing, and recorded posted it to the Head of Customer Care, Michael Byrne advising that I expect action within 14 days or I would be initiating a claim in small claims. That was a week ago, within 1 day of them receiving the letter I got a call (last Thursday) from a more senior person in customer care. As yet, the issue is still ongoing, but only because when they rang I was in work and couldn't discuss it. I have asked them to call me on Monday after 6pm. I am hopeful that I will get some resolution, and it is at least encouraging that they rang so quickly when previously I had been ignored.

so my advice is put your complaint in writing and forward to head of customer care, recorded post, advising that you are giving them 14 days from the date of the letter for a resolution or you will be going to small claims court.

was the address in park west as i have tried that address twice with letters. i was thinking of just dropping by their office in person with copy of letters previously sent and phone in box with all packing and paper work that came with it and leaving it with them as it is of no use to me im back using my old phone for the moment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dmaccc

you do have a record for calls as they tell you that all calls are recorded for training and quality purposes apparently . but it does'nt seem to be doing them much good as they are seriously lacking in both departments

I have sent off my letter via Registered Post and today I went to www.anpost.ie to track it. There's a signature on the Delivery Bill but I can't read it :D and there's no company signature. But the top of the Delivery Bill says my letter and 10 other items were delivered to Eircom. I've checked Eircom and their registered office is the same as Meteor's contact address.

I'm very confused... :confused:

I have now emailed An Post to ask how I can check my letter went to Meteor and am waiting a reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

I have sent off my letter via Registered Post and today I went to www.anpost.ie to track it. There's a signature on the Delivery Bill but I can't read it :D and there's no company signature. But the top of the Delivery Bill says my letter and 10 other items were delivered to Eircom. I've checked Eircom and their registered office is the same as Meteor's contact address.

I'm very confused... :confused:

I have now emailed An Post to ask how I can check my letter went to Meteor and am waiting a reply.
    Eircom own Meteor. Eircom, Meteor and E-Mobile all share the same registered offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

After my complaint they credited my account to the tune of 15 Euro.

Kensington wrote: »
    Eircom own Meteor. Eircom, Meteor and E-Mobile all share the same registered offices.

Thanks Kensington, I had no idea :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Thinking of sending a registered letter myself, upgraded to Bill Pay on 4 July (after business hours) and it took them 9 working days to get on to me for a €130 deposit (which I was particularly happy with, esp. waiting on hold to give them money), which came out of my account on working day 11 and I'm still waiting for a contract on working day 14. It's only supposed to take 2 days FFS.

Well, afaic, spending €5.25 on a registered letter was a complete waste of money. The letter appears to have been delivered to Eircom, the signature is unreadable, and I emailed An Post on 19 July and have heard nothing back from them. The phone number that they give you on the receipt (1850 57 58 59) brings up that tone that indicates the number doesn't exist! Their website gives the same number under Mail Enquiries, General Postal Complaints and Customer Services.:mad:

I'm certainly not going to send another registered letter to Meteor, emailing them is a waste of time, and calling into the store is pointless as the staff just tell you to contact Customer Services and the whole merry-go-round starts up all over again! So not sure what else I can do to resolve this with Meteor......:rolleyes:

Right now I'm just waiting for my next bill which is due to be sent to me in 3 days time. We'll wait and see...lol

Update: the phone number above works on my mobile, but not on my landline. Calling it gives an automated service which told me my item had "been delivered" and if I wanted a signature, to go to the website.

Well I'm going to send them some sort of letter anyways, the earliest I'll get the contract is on working day 15, that is beyond ridiculous for a service that's supposed to take 2 days. if I'm lucky they'll get it on working day 16 and my phone on working day 17. Unlikely though I'd think.

And that's after paying €169.99 on a credit card (cos for some reason you can pay €400 or €500 via Laser for a PAYG phone but have to use a CC for a BillPay phone) and despite the direct debit being set up on the account my Laser card uses. Oh and €130 of a deposit on the phone (only took 9 working days to get that far).

That is unbelivabley slow, makes you wonder if they want new business. It's not as if you'd now be recommending them to your friends, is it?

I'm not even sure why you would have to pay €130 deposit? Sorry if I've overlooked something you said, but were you a PAYG Meteor customer, upgraded your phone and then decided to become BillPay at the same time?

I was PAYG with Meteor for 2 years, upgraded my ancient Nokia for a HTC Wildfire at a cost of €45, and also switched to BillPay at Meteor's advice. I have an 18 month contract as a BillPay customer after which time I think I will revert back to PAYG as I rarely use my free minutes, texts or data download.

They said that you when applying you may be asked to pay a deposit on the phone which you'll receive back after 7 months. I'm not massively in need of said €130 at the moment so it's not really a problem but even still.

Yup, been a Meteor PAYG customer for the best part of 10 years, switched to them when they were a very small network (and offering the same price to call UK mobiles as Irish mobiles, ditto UK landlines and Irish landlines).

Main reason I'm switching to BillPay is the cost of the phone, I'd possibly be better off paying 30 yoyos a month on PAYG (69c x 30 = €20.70 for 1.5 gigs and all network texts VS. €30 for 1 gig, free Meteor calls and texts and 200 non-Meteor calls and texts).

• Advertisement

Yeah, BillPay is only good if you actually use all your quotas....:D

Still no sign today, contact them on Twitter AGAIN and they said they'd investigate but that was more than 3 hours ago now. Man I really better wait till tomorrow before I send them a letter, be ratty as hell otherwise.

No guarantees they will reply to your letter even if you use registered post. I'm still waiting.....*sigh* :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Lillydee

They usually reply to letters but just give their usual speel of bull**t that they are very sorry to hear of your issue and it will be resolved within a certain timeframe and if you wish to speak to them please don't hesitate to call. You'll be banging your head off a brick wall! I sent two letters, my head aches:P!

Lillydee wrote: »
    They usually reply to letters but just give their usual speel of bull**t that they are very sorry to hear of your issue and it will be resolved within a certain timeframe and if you wish to speak to them please don't hesitate to call. You'll be banging your head off a brick wall! I sent two letters, my head aches:P!

LOL!!! :D I wouldn't mind calling if I could (a) actually speak to someone and (b) speak to someone who will say, "oh yes, I can see all the details here". Instead, you get told your call is important (but not important enough for them to hire extra people to answer these important calls), the person you do eventually speak to says "can you just give me a quick rundown of your problem? I was off when you called before and the person you spoke to then is on another call/lunch/holiday/valium....whatever.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Well, afaic, spending €5.25 on a registered letter was a complete waste of money. The letter appears to have been delivered to Eircom, the signature is unreadable, and I emailed An Post on 19 July and have heard nothing back from them. The phone number that they give you on the receipt (1850 57 58 59) brings up that tone that indicates the number doesn't exist! Their website gives the same number under Mail Enquiries, General Postal Complaints and Customer Services.:mad:

I'm certainly not going to send another registered letter to Meteor, emailing them is a waste of time, and calling into the store is pointless as the staff just tell you to contact Customer Services and the whole merry-go-round starts up all over again! So not sure what else I can do to resolve this with Meteor......:rolleyes:

Right now I'm just waiting for my next bill which is due to be sent to me in 3 days time. We'll wait and see...lol

Writing to the Chief Executive of an organistaion is often a good way to shame them into action however Meteor do not appear to have a chief executive!

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/meteor-to-lose-ceo-post-in-shakeup-2090991.html

Write to Paul Donovan who is the chief executive of Eircom:

Paul Donovan
    1 Heuston South Quarter,
    St. John's Road,
    Dublin 8

Tell him you are writing in frustration at the appalling mess that Meteor is - reference this thread and ask him to get things sorted on your behalf seeing as nobody else is capable of doing it.

It never ceases to amaze me that Companies can spend so much money on marketing painting this wonderful super organisation and the reality is such an abject mess!!
    Update: the phone number above works on my mobile, but not on my landline. Calling it gives an automated service which told me my item had "been delivered" and if I wanted a signature, to go to the website.

You should be able to get the information here:

http://track.anpost.ie/track/trackone.html

dub45 wrote: »
    Writing to the Chief Executive of an organistaion is often a good way to shame them into action however Meteor do not appear to have a chief executive!

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/meteor-to-lose-ceo-post-in-shakeup-2090991.html

Write to Paul Donovan who is the chief executive of Eircom:

Paul Donovan
    1 Heuston South Quarter,
    St. John's Road,
    Dublin 8

Tell him you are writing in frustration at the appalling mess that Meteor is - reference this thread and ask him to get things sorted on your behalf seeing as nobody else is capable of doing it.

It never ceases to amaze me that Companies can spend so much money on marketing painting this wonderful super organisation and the reality is such an abject mess!!

You should be able to get the information here:

http://track.anpost.ie/track/trackone.html

Great stuff! Stephen Beynon, a former senior manager with Virgin Media could be useful too. I used to be with VM and they were great.

It's beyond belief that large companies like these can't even be bothered to reply to their customers. Surely that should be the first thing anyone dealing with the public is taught?

As for the track and trace on the website, I did that but the Delivery Bill was of no use to me..... :confused:

Letter sent to Stephen Beynon, including everything that was sent to Michael Byrne. Not sent via Registered Post, as no guarantee it will be delivered to the correct person/company. :rolleyes:

Sent off the contract last Tuesday, nothing yet. I ordered the phone on the 4th of July FFS!

On to Meteor again today, took my details and said they'd be back to me (that was around lunchtime) and nothing yet.

• Advertisement

Email I got today from Customer Care:

Thank you for your response.
    Further to your query, I can advise you that I have reviewed the details of your account and I can see that you were charged for any roaming charges on your July invoice.

Further to your query, I can advise that the internet charges that you incurred on your account are valid charges.

Please be advised that as you are using an android phone, your handset will periodically connect to the internet to locate updates for apps, games and other services that your handset may offer, unless you have disabled this function.

Also, I would like to make you aware that it is possible that you have signed up to an RSS Feed, which is a premium rate service, which can be signed up to by visiting certain websites. These RSS Feeds will send information to your handset periodically in relation to competitions and premium services and will charge you for each connection.

In order to prevent you from incurring further charges of this nature, I would recommend that you disable all RSS Feeds from your handset through the Internet Settings option, under the Settings menu.

I hope that this information is useful to you and if you have any further queries please call customer care or email info@meteor.ie and we will be delighted to assist you.

Regards,

Niamh
    Customer Care Administration Team

Goes to show they didn't listen to the two phonecalls I made to them while in England and read none of the emails I sent. I also sent them a detailed list of everything relating to my experience with the issue, my experience of their response and what I had done at my end. That appears to have been ignored too. :mad:

I can only hope my letter to Stephen Beynon will have some effect!

Advertisement