Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MBNA Credit Card

Options
  • 23-01-2010 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

i cancelled my mbna credit card in december, there was a zero balance on it on and then i put the 30e cancellation fee on the card in order to cancel it. i transferred the 30e on to the card before i called them to cancel it, as i knew i had to pay it.

i received a letter from them on the 18th december confirming my account was closed. i cut up my card and shredded all the old statements.

yesterday (22nd January) i received a letter from them saying i owed them 1.27e and they had applied a late fee charge of 15.00e on to my account.

I never received a statement from them stating i owed them any money.

do i have to pay this amount or can i tell them to feck off ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

my wife had some issue similar with them and sadly it took her ages to get it sorted via letter and phone calls etc

She was told by them that basically once you have the letter stating the account closed anything after that date is irrevelant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Trampas

What is the €30 cancellation fee?

Is that the government tax?

Looking to cancel my mbna card and has €0 balance.

Will they send you a letter confirming you have paid the tax so I can use on my new credit card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

Trampas wrote: »
    What is the €30 cancellation fee?

Is that the government tax?

Looking to cancel my mbna card and has €0 balance.

Will they send you a letter confirming you have paid the tax so I can use on my new credit card?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Same thing happened to me. Rang them, first the guy offered to refund half the late fee. I didn't agree and he then removed it all. Then got statements looking for the interest on the late fee. Took another call to sort that out. Very bad form. I reckon they know well that this happens but keep it going as a lot of people just pay it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

I doubt they do. If you pay your bill on time, you don't get charged late fees.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

CSC wrote: »
    i had an old bank account and the bank added charges even though i had free banking, so in the next months statement there was three different charges one for unauthorised overdraft one for the interest and another i cant remember. the bank of course investigated and refunded the charges but left the interest plus it took so long to deal with it they had let more interest and charges acrue on the account! it seemed like quite a good money making scam at the time.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i phoned them up and wouldn't let the guy talk, told him i owed them no money. i had a letter from them, dated 6 weeks previous stating that my account was closed and if they contacted me again that i would be contacting my solicitor due to their harassment and hung up.

got a bill last week with the balance adjusted down to zero:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

CSC wrote: »

The account was closed. They then added on the €30 tax. It was not paid immediately. They then charged late fees and interest. I did not get any credit from them. They are collecting a tax on behalf of the government. They should not put late fees and interest on this tax.

Advertisement