Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to identify what type of HDD this is.

Options
  • 23-01-2010 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

I have to get a replacement Hard drive for my aunts computer,
    The last time I opened a computer was about 4 years ago and the connections on that hard drive were different to the ones in the photo below.
    Would anyone know what type of hard drive this is?

The machine was bought in tesco a year or so ago for general use and the HDD is failing!

Thank you!
    harddrive.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I have to get a replacement Hard drive for my aunts computer,
    The last time I opened a computer was about 4 years ago and the connections on that hard drive were different to the ones in the photo below.
    Would anyone know what type of hard drive this is?

The machine was bought in tesco a year or so ago for general use and the HDD is failing!

Thank you!

It's a 3 1/2 inch SATA drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭spidermonkey

Spear wrote: »
    It's a 3 1/2 inch SATA drive.

thanks !

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

WTF?! Is that some kind of high-speed (e.g. Raptor) or enterprise drive? :confused:

I've never seen a consumer-grade SATA drive with an added Molex power connector...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Solitaire wrote: »
    WTF?! Is that some kind of high-speed (e.g. Raptor) or enterprise drive? :confused:

I've never seen a consumer-grade SATA drive with an added Molex power connector...

That's fairly common for the age of it. I have a normal consumer grade Maxtor 200gig that's the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I have. I think I have one is some PC somewhere, it's odd these days but at the turn of IDE to SATA any half decent hard drive should have both, it's actually a good feature to have.

• Advertisement

Hi guys, so as it turns out the hard drive is perfect and after running all kinds of checks on it it seems as though there was no problem.
    That is until this morning when I turned it on to give it another look over before I gave it back to may aunt. It persistently hung at the bios screen half way through the word "memory testing" could it be dodgy ram causing the issue?

Below is a photo of the 'hanging' screen
    http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/4541/biose.jpg

Any help to try and solve this in the next few hours would be brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Could be dodgy ram,try each stick on its on in all the sockets.

I've done that, each 1gb stick in each slot by itself, and powered up and shut down without any issues, tried both stick together and the same no issues, but then out of no where it will hang again. Could it be a motherboard issue?

Im lost to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

I've seen one's with molex conectors as well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Im lost to be honest

Not a nice problem to have :(

Could be anything, Is it possible that it only hangs after you've had it on for a bit b4 restarting?
    It could be a heat issue, if it's just pure random then...

Well...
    It's gonna be tough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I've done that, each 1gb stick in each slot by itself, and powered up and shut down without any issues, tried both stick together and the same no issues, but then out of no where it will hang again. Could it be a motherboard issue?

Im lost to be honest

When you tried them on their own, did you swap them around too?

Like say you have two slots and we'll label you ram A&B there is 6 different configs (although you should look up your motherboards manual to see which slot is the one used for single pieces of ram)

Slot1 -- Slot 2
    A
    B
    A
    B
    B
    A
    A
    B

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Run memtest, it will tell you with a very high level of certainty if there is any problems with your ram.

Advertisement