Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fostering a greyhound

Options
  • 23-01-2010 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

My family is considering fostering a retired racing greyhound. We have a large fenced in backyard (with an accessible screened-in porch), live a 10 minute walk from a vet who specializes in greyhound care, and two members of the household are home for most of the day (one is retired and the other works very part time, about 5 hours a week).

We're considering the fostering route first as opposed to adoption because even though we've had dogs in the past, we've not had greyhounds (bassets, cocker spaniels and dachsunds, mainly). However, racing is big in my area and there's a big need for both foster and adoption homes.

We have two main concerns. We don't currently own a dog, but do have 3 cats, 2 of which are indoor, a 3rd which adopted us, so to speak and comes and goes as she pleases. Our other concern is falling in love, of course.

Does anyone have any experience with fostering retired racing greyhounds that they could share? Anything you feel might be pertinent for us to know before making the decision? Any advice is appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Paddysnapper

If you have cats, my advise would be don't even think about it, if they are going to be accessible to the dog...A greyhounds nature and cats do not mix!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Well done on considering fostering a greyhound. You won't regret it! I have sent you a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I have to agree with Paddysnapper, think carefully about fostering an ex-racing greyhound if you have cats. Unfortunately they're trained to chase a running animal that small and it could end in disaster. If the cat runs and the greyhound takes off after it there's very little way of stopping it.

If you didn't have cats I'd say go for it, greyhounds are some of the most mis-understood dogs in my opinion. They're the ultimate couch potatoes, they have a great sense of humour, they don't need miles and miles of walking every day, and are among the gentlest dogs going. They make fantastic pets and ex-racing greys learn very quickly about life in a house!

If you have cats, my advise would be don't even think about it, if they are going to be accessible to the dog...A greyhounds nature and cats do not mix!:eek:

Completely and utterly false statement. I know of many,many greyhoudns living with cats, including ex-coursers. Please don't give advice on something you obviously know nothing about.

I have to agree with Paddysnapper, think carefully about fostering an ex-racing greyhound if you have cats. Unfortunately they're trained to chase a running animal that small and it could end in disaster. If the cat runs and the greyhound takes off after it there's very little way of stopping it.

Again, this kind of mis-information is very disappointing. There are many greyhounds living happily with cats. The reason so many don't make the grade and need new homes is because they have a very low chase instinct. Obviously, its a case of matching the right dog to the right circumstances and not all greyhounds are going to be suitable to live with cats but many are. I know of a couple of ex-coursers living with cats

Its is this kind of ill-informed opinion which gives people the wrong impression about greyhounds. Any breed of dog has the ability to chase a cat. Our old labrador hated them and sadly killed one. Some dogs are interested in cats and some aren't. The very same applies to greyhounds, although given their history care does have to be taken to ensure the right dog is matched to a house with cats. Suitable introductions need to be taken when any breed of dog and cat are introduced for the first time

• Advertisement

Here's a few links regarding this issue and there are many more rescources on-line. It really does annoy me when people who obviously have no experience with greyhounds and cats come on to a thread like this to give uninformed advice! Too Many Dogs, you have said yourself that they are the most mis-understood dogs yet you haven't exactly done them a great service by stating that they can't live with cats. Boo!

http://www.greyhounds4u.co.uk/cats_and_dogs.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeeQtuSrjuI

http://www.helpothers.org/story.php?sid=12568

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=Greyhounds%20and%20cats&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Vel wrote: »
    Again, this kind of mis-information is very disappointing. There are many greyhounds living happily with cats.

I'm talking from a point of view with alot of experience with rescue dogs, including greyhounds and ex racing greyhounds. The OP was asking for some advice because they've never had any experience with greyhounds, and the simple facts are that trained racing greyhounds have a higher prey instinct if small animals run, the OP sounds like they may not have the right experience yet to judge whether each individual greyhound is likely to be a threat to her cats, it is something they need to be very aware of.

No one is suggesting other breeds don't chase cats but other breeds don't have the same chance of catching them as greys do. Dogs breeds have certain traits bred into them and there is no getting away from the fact - spaniels are more likely to enjoy water, terriers are more likely to dig holes to catch vermin, and the fact remains greyhounds are more likely to chase a small running animal.

The rescue I volunteer for has one volunteer who particularily loves sighthounds and she will often cat-test the dogs for the rescue, but the majority do show very strong chase instincts, of course not all do but it's certainly not 50-50.

If the OP hasn't had any experience with ex racers, and there isn't much information about the dog they might be fostering, then they need to be cautious, it's as simple as that. I love greyhounds as a dog, and as a pet, but they do need careful assessment regarding living around small animals.

I'm talking from a point of view with alot of experience with rescue dogs, including greyhounds and ex racing greyhounds.
    I'm talking from the point of view of having lots of experience with rescue dogs and OWNING a retired racer and a lurcher. I also have numerous friends who have greyhounds and cats happily living together.

Your second post has clarified your opinion somewhat but if you read your first post you say you agree with Paddysnapper who says greyhounds and cats aren't compatible at all and then you go on to suggest that a greyhound would be a great foster if you didn't have cats. What you are saying now about the OP needing to be fully advised is fine but you didn't do that in your first post. Why did you make a complete blanket statement that they can't live with cats, when you are now admitting that this isn't the case

I was pointing out that that was/is a completely uninformed opinion and quite frankly the fact that you stated it with your declared experience of rescue dogs is a bit concerning. Who do you work with?

Of course introductions have to be undertaken with caution but thats not what you said at first, you said they can't live together and that is patently untrue.

I do worry when so called experienced rescue people are giving such bad advice and doing such a disservice to the image of greyhounds, as your first post did :rolleyes:

Its a pity you didn't take the time to answer the OP's query fully, instead of choosing to perpetuate the myth that al greyhounds are cat killers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I've only had one greyhound and he was an absolute dote, the kindest, gentlest dog ever. Great around children and other dogs and great in the house, his greatest pleasure in life was to get into an open field and just run!! Though I do have to say for all his positives he didn't like cats, but that's just one dog and one experience, like others have said any dog of any breed you take in should be assessed first, not just around cats but children, strangers, other dogs etc. Best of luck, they are just the best pets!

lrushe wrote: »
    I've only had one greyhound and he was an absolute dote, the kindest, gentlest dog ever. Great around children and other dogs and great in the house, his greatest pleasure in life was to get into an open field and just run!! Though I do have to say for all his positives he didn't like cats, but that's just one dog and one experience, like others have said any dog of any breed you take in should be assessed first, not just around cats but children, strangers, other dogs etc. Best of luck, they are just the best pets!

Good to hear you've been bitten by the greyhound bug too :D

Hopefully, the OP won't be put off by people making blanket statements that greyhounds can't live with cats, when it clearly isn't true. By going through the right rescue who assess their dogs properly and have knowledgable staff I am more than confident that the OP could find their perfect foster greyhound.

Or maybe, I should pop up the road to one of my friends and warn her that her cat, who likes to snuggle up to her greyhound every night and play in the garden with the dog, is in mortal danger....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Or maybe, I should pop up the road to one of my friends and warn her that her cat, who likes to snuggle up to her greyhound every night and play in the garden with the dog, is in mortal danger....

Ha ha, know what you mean, I get the strangest looks when people see my Rottweiler curled up with a cat and a Chihuahua :D

you go on to suggest that a greyhound would be a great foster if you didn't have cats.

you said they can't live together and that is patently untrue.

For a first time foster person I still maintain that bringing in a greyhound on top of 3 cats may not be a good plan unless the OP has sufficient experience, or is getting good information about the dog. The majority of dogs I've fostered, and most other fosterers I know,come with no information. No information combined with OP's lack of experience may not make for an easy time.

Never did I say that cats and greyhounds can't live together, nor did I say all greyhounds are cat killers, all I said was the OP should be cautious. You're making the blanket statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Thanks for all of the replies so far!

The adoption/fostering agencies I'm looking at do assess how each dog they take in reacts around children, cats, other dogs, etc. From what I've seen, it seems that about 60% of the dogs have tested positively with cats and 40% negatively. Obviously, if we do decide to foster, we'd want a dog that had had a positive reaction when it was exposed to a cat. And we'd take great care when introducing the dog to our kitties (part of the reason I'm glad two of us are home most of the day).

Also, thank you Vel for your very helpful pm. I'm trying to convince the others in the household to go visit one of the adoption sites today (I live in the States) so we can get more information.

It sounds like you're going to be in a great position to foster, very best of luck with your fostering, it really is a very rewarding experience. And good luck choosing a new family companion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I've rehomed quite a few ex-racer and ex-courser over the years and IMHO it is 50/50. Amazingly enough most ex-coursers live happily next to a cat. It also depends alot on the cat, if they are used to dogs etc. I always cat test before rehoming, inside and outside of the home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Completely and utterly false statement. I know of many,many greyhoudns living with cats, including ex-coursers. Please don't give advice on something you obviously know nothing about.

If you go on ANY of the Greyhound rescue websites, the majority of dogs requiring rehoming are listed as not being cat friendly.

And the reason why most of them need rehoming is because they are not fast enough- not for a lack of a chase instinct.

Never did I say that cats and greyhounds can't live together, nor did I say all greyhounds are cat killers, all I said was the OP should be cautious. You're making the blanket statements.

Seriously, re-read you first post.

You agreed with Paddysnapper who said this: If you have cats, my advise would be don't even think about it, if they are going to be accessible to the dog...A greyhounds nature and cats do not mix!eek.gif

And then you said: If you didn't have cats I'd say go for it

If thats not discouraging someone from fostering a greyhound, I don't know what is. You've since expanded your thoughts on the matter but its a pity your first response was pretty negative and very unhelpful to the greys.
    Anyway, I'm delighted we are now singing from the same hymn sheet and agree that greyhounds can live with cats. I'll tell my greyhound and cat owning friends they can breathe a sigh of relief :D

Also, thank you Vel for your very helpful pm. I'm trying to convince the others in the household to go visit one of the adoption sites today (I live in the States) so we can get more information.

Sorry Metaoblivia, I presumed your were in Ireland when I sent your pm.

A good website to check out is www.greytalk.com. Most of the members are based in the US and I'm sure you would get some advice and contacts on it.

Best of luck. You sound like you will make a great fosterer and are doing plenty of research.

I'll eat my hat if you don't find your cat friendly hound really easily!

Magenta wrote: »
    If you go on ANY of the Greyhound rescue websites, the majority of dogs requiring rehoming are listed as not being cat friendly.

And the reason why most of them need rehoming is because they are not fast enough- not for a lack of a chase instinct.

And your point?:rolleyes:

Of course not all of them are cat friendly. I was replying to a point made that greyhounds and cats aren't compatible at all, which is completely untrue as I know many living together.

Of course many are being rehomed because they are not fast enough but many do lack a chase instinct, how else do you explain them happily living with cats?

I've just done a quick search for greyhounds needing homes. I picked a random site:

www.kerrygreyhounds.co.uk : Maeve may be cat friendly. Kylie, Matthew, Mattie, Patch, Bess, Finley, Kyte, Vicki, Olly: ALL cat friendly. The rest of the dogs either can't live with cats or haven't been tested yet. Thats 8 dogs right there who could live with cats and I found them with the click of a button :P

If I was to go on other sites I'm sure I could find other cat friendly dogs just as easily. So, yes there are lots of sites where the dogs are marked as not cat friendly, but taking a couple of minutes I've found many who are, with one organisation alone.

Maybe you don't want to hear it but some greyhounds are cat friendly and there ain't no statisitics/opinions that you can quote to disprove that :D

Magenta wrote: »
    And to be honest, the only person here giving a bad impression of greyhounds is you. Your posts read as incredibly rude.

How can a perceived tone in someone's post give greyhounds a bad name? It might give a bad impression of me but the dogs? Anyway, I completely disagree with your interpretation that I am being rude. Passionate about the subject maybe, but you are misinterpreting me if you think I am rude. One has to remember when reading what people write that they might be picking the tone up wrong and in this case you are :)

• Advertisement

And your point?:rolleyes:

Of course not all of them are cat friendly. I was replying to a point made that greyhounds and cats aren't compatible at all, which is completely untrue as I know many living together.

Of course many are being rehomed because they are not fast enough but many do lack a chase instinct, how else do you explain them happily living with cats?

I've just done a quick search for greyhounds needing homes. I picked a random site:

www.kerrygreyhounds.co.uk : Maeve may be cat friendly. Kylie, Matthew, Mattie, Patch, Bess, Finley, Kyte, Vicki, Olly: ALL cat friendly. The rest of the dogs either can't live with cats or haven't been tested yet. Thats 8 dogs right there who could live with cats and I found them with the click of a button :P

If I was to go on other sites I'm sure I could find other cat friendly dogs just as easily. So, yes there are lots of sites where the dogs are marked as not cat friendly, but taking a couple of minutes I've found many who are, with one organisation alone.

Maybe you don't want to hear it but some greyhounds are cat friendly and there ain't no statisitics/opinions that you can quote to disprove that :D

If you work for a greyhound rescue and you speak to potential adopters the same way as you are speaking to people here, then I really feel sorry for all the greyhounds that rely on you to represent them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Maybe let's not get too heated please - and try and give the OP advice :)

As I have already posted from my experience with quite few GH's who came here once their coursing/racing career was over: it's evenly balanced at about 50/50. I currently have a ex-racer in rehoming and she is not good with cats, however, she is perfect with small dogs, livestock, horses etc.

I think it is wrong to brand a whole breed cat unfriendly when it clearly depends on the individual dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Moved to animal welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

EGAR wrote: »
    I think it is wrong to brand a whole breed cat unfriendly when it clearly depends on the individual dog.

I totally agree with this, it really does depend on the dog. I have two lurchers, one whom we believe was used for coursing, and they live in harmony with our cats. In fact, the cats are very much the dominant ones in this house!
    It really does depend on the individual dog and not the breed. We set off to the DSPCA intending to get a ''small dog'' but all of the dogs we met just went mad when we brought them over to the cat enclosure. We ended up with a lurcher, go figure.

The flip side of this is not to get complacent and assume the same will apply to all GH/lurchers, same as you would if you were bringing any other type of dog into your home. Initial ''cat testing'' is a good idea to gauge the dog's reaction and then very careful supervision & segregation when you are not around would be my suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Just had to say, apart from their potential 'clashing' with cats, they make absolutely fantastic pets!!! You'll definately get attached :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Just to give an update on the situation, we went ahead and visited one of the adoption centers in our area on Saturday. We got to spend time with some of the greyhounds and speak with the owners of the rescue about fostering. I explained the situation with the cats, and we were told that while having cats meant certain dogs were excluded from fostering with us, others had tested cat friendly and could be a good match.

We really loved interacting with the dogs. They were very sweet and gentle. We wanted to take them all home and seriously talked about outright adopting one. However, after some conversations, we decided to stick with fostering for now and filled out an application. They should be coming by for a home check hopefully some time this week.

I will keep you all updated!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

well done for making that great choice..Greyhounds are a lovely breed and get so much misunderstood press...best of luck with the home check...:)

They are definitely the most elegant breed, I love their long legs.
    They are also one of the oldest breeds (if not one of the oldest) but yet have very few health problems because they are bred to be fit, not for what they look like.

• Advertisement

Yes, that is very true, they are not plagued by genetic disorders like alot of other breeds and I love they way they prance like little arab horses. I had a HUGE ex courser in rescue a few years back and his movements were so equine (including rearing up like a horse) that my volunteers called him Black Beauty :D

Advertisement