Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skoda Yeti nder scrapage deal.... Good deal?

• 23-01-2010 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Looking at getting a new car under the scrappage deal.
    The Skoda Yeti has turned my head:
    http://www.skoda.ie/irl/model/yeti/home/Pages/home.aspx

Can get Skoda Yeti 2.0 TDi with Active trim, metallic paint and delivery for 19500.
    Thats 4,000 off list price due to scrappage and dealer discount.

Is this a good deal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Which spec is the yeti, is it the "Active" or the "Ambition" version? If its an Ambition, then its a very good deal IMO, they're a very nice car inside and out IMO, and that engine is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 pattwoie

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Which spec is the yeti, is it the "Active" or the "Ambition" version? If its an Ambition, then its a very good deal IMO, they're a very nice car inside and out IMO, and that engine is excellent.

Its the "Active" trim. Its an extra 1100 for the improved "Ambition" trim.
    Active trim seems good enough to me. Not worth the difference.
    Think I can haggle a few hundred off him.
    Best price I think I can get 19200.

Agree that car looks good inside and out.
    Think its a great deal IMO.

Next decision is to choose the colour?
    "Brilliant Silver" I'd say

pattwoie wrote: »
    Its the "Active" trim. Its an extra 1100 for the improved "Ambition" trim.
    Active trim seems good enough to me. Not worth the difference.
    Think I can haggle a few hundred off him.
    Best price I think I can get 19200.

Agree that car looks good inside and out.
    Think its a great deal IMO.

Next decision is to choose the colour?
    "Brilliant Silver" I'd say

Have you sat inside an actual "Active" one though or only Ambition? Didnt think the initial Dealer examples wer Active spec, only Ambition.

The interior of the Ambition one i sat inside was very nice indeed but when i looked at the spec sheet, i realised that the active would be a bit different

http://www.skoda.ie/IRL/Documents/Yeti%20Docs/Yeti%20Pricelist.pdf

Note that the active doesnt have the door handles in chrome for example.

€19200 still seems like a pretty decent deal btw

Have you sat inside an actual "Active" one though or only Ambition? Didnt think the initial Dealer examples wer Active spec, only Ambition.

The interior of the Ambition one i sat inside was very nice indeed but when i looked at the spec sheet, i realised that the active would be a bit different

Note that the active doesnt have the door handles in chrome for example.

€19200 still seems like a pretty decent deal btw

Yeah, sat inside both an Active and Ambition. Didn't notice much of a difference between them. Nothing worth the price difference. Test drove the Active. Was impressed. Liked the high driving position. Big step up from my current 1998 Toyotal Corolla 1.3 Petrol :)

Think €19200 is best price I'll get. Started off at €19625 so already knocked off 400 quid. And its about 4 grand less than list price due to Scrappage.

Cheers for the advice. 90 % going to take it. Will be next week before I make a decision.

Oh thats OK then, as long as you've been in an Active and know exactly what you're getting.

The list should be be around 23500€ incl delivery and metallic so take 1500€ for the scrappage leaves your saving to be about 2800€ or about 12% which is a good deal really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Like them too and have seen them in the various colours. Of course, silver is a good colour to go for - the platin gray is actually nice too, and very nice in black. There are 2 dark blue colours which were good as well. Some of the colours were odd, there was a burgundy, which was ok but you would get sick of very qucik and a coffee brown one, which I did not like at all.

Looks like a good discount alright.
    Going to take the deal.

Need to decide on colour now.
    Black one in stock. Like the black colour but heard bloack is difficult to keep clean. Plus it shows up prominantly any scratches or dirt.

Would prefer the "Platin Grey" one but may have to wait upto 6 weeks for this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

110BHP only in the 2l common rail? Looks like a good candidate for an enormous remap :D :cool:

Ordered the Skoda Yeti 2.0 TDi Active trim model this morning.
    Ordered it in "Brilliant Silver" colour and should arrive in 3-4 weeks.
    Would've had to wait 6-8 weeks for "Platin Grey" colour, plus didn't like the look of the colour on a real car (saw it on a Superb in showroom).
    Silver looks nice in real ife and should hide dirt, scratches etc. well.

Thanks for all the advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

unkel wrote: »
    110BHP only in the 2l common rail? Looks like a good candidate for an enormous remap :D :cool:

+1 :P. ah petrolheads... you can see us from a mile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭air

Can anyone tell me if all the Irish Yeti's are 2wd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

most of them are 2WD. which kind of makes them even more pointless.

Thats what I was afraid of, I have checked out the brochures etc but can't see any mention of 4wd on the Irish literature. Pointless indeed.

4 wheel drive versions are indeed going to be offered in time afaik, but obviously, like 4wd qashqai's, the market form them would be absolutely tiny

Even more pointless??

So i guess the qashqai and 3008 are also pointless specimens?

Prices for alternative engines and transmissions will be added at a later date

I consider the increased ground clearance of all the above pointless without 4wd.

Fair enough but some people(Not me might i add) may enjoy the virtues of a car that they are not necessarily going to take off road, but like higher ground clearance. There are a lot of cars that are supposedly SUV's but are offered in 2wd, this has been the case for a long time.

In this case, it would make sense to offer 2 wheel drive versions to make them cheaper and lower emissions

Agreed, but they like the high ground clearance for the "view of the road" and other such reasons I've found. While everyone is free to choose, raising the vehicle is always going to disimprove cornering and emissions. I agree however that 2wd makes the most sense for the majority of such buyers. I just feel that these vehicles are not a very practical choice in 2wd format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Even more pointless??

So i guess the qashqai and 3008 are also pointless specimens?
    At least the Qashqai has some degree of style and presence, the Yeti looks like a Roomster with idiotic cladding a-la Rover Streetwise.

I really don't know why anyone would choose a Yeti over a normal hatchback.

air wrote: »
    Agreed, but they like the high ground clearance for the "view of the road" and other such reasons I've found. While everyone is free to choose, raising the vehicle is always going to disimprove cornering and emissions. I agree however that 2wd makes the most sense for the majority of such buyers. I just feel that these vehicles are not a very practical choice in 2wd format.

And i completely agree with you on these points, but i guess a company has to try and profit from where a market exists and clearly a market exists for these cars. the Yeti is a nice car however, even in 2wd format, handled well too i thought and pretty good value for money compared to the 2wd diesel qashqai.
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    At least the Qashqai has some degree of style and presence, the Yeti looks like a Roomster with idiotic cladding a-la Rover Streetwise.

I really don't know why anyone would choose a Yeti over a normal hatchback.

Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all, not going to say its a handsome car but i didnt mind it when i saw it for real and thought it looked a lot more butch than a qashqai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

i guess a company has to try and profit from where a market exists and clearly a market exists for these cars.

I think building silly cars like 2WD imitation jeeps could backfire on manufacturers. People don't buy these because they need them, they buy them because they are somehow fashionable.

Hopefully the Current Economic Climate will kill the fashion for school run Q7s, and the lesser Qashqai and Yeti buyers can go back to buying estates and mini MPVs, the cars they actually do need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 heavy

Looking at getting one of these too, first time buyer of new car so does anyone know what you would expext in terms of discount or good deal if you dont have scrappage or trade in ie straight cash deal?

Ring around, most dealers will give close to their best price over the phone for a cash deal in my experience as they don't have to have a look at a potential trade in to assess it's value.
    At a guess I'd say you should be able to get 1500 or so off, closer to 5k with scrappage though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

The missus is scrapping her car and first time getting a 'new' new car. Not used to the haggling process and so far only managed 3700 off list for 2.0 Skoda Yeti Experience spec. if poss could anyone who has done better pm me the dealers offering better. I am based in Dublin but happy to travel for a deal.

Also, have been quoted 350 for alarm by dealer. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks a mill!

Looking at getting a new car under the scrappage deal.
    The Skoda Yeti has turned my head:
    http://www.skoda.ie/irl/model/yeti/home/Pages/home.aspx

Can get Skoda Yeti 2.0 TDi with Active trim, metallic paint and delivery for 19500.
    Thats 4,000 off list price due to scrappage and dealer discount.

Is this a good deal?

Picked up the Skoda Yeti 2 weeks ago and am loving it.
    Nice slightly elevated driving position.
    Sturdy and sure-footed on the road.
    Lots of umph in the 2.0 TDi engine. A complete difference from my 1.4 L Petrol 1998 Corolla.
    Solid feel to the interior. Standard equipment on Active model is excellent:
    - Bluetooth
    - AC
    - Wheel mounted controls for radio and HUD
    - leather gearstick and handbrake
    - Electric wing windows
    - MP3 connectivity
    Huge boot and lots or room in back seat. I'm 6 ft and can sit in it comfortably, even behind the driver seat.
    Length and width of car is perfect (in fact is shorter than my 98 Corolla) and no problems in car parks, traffic, etc. Same as any family saloon or hatchback.

Would defintely recommend to anyone looking for an alternative to a Nissan Qashqai or similar crossover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Lots of umph in the 2.0 TDi engine. A complete difference from my 1.4 L Petrol 1998 Corolla.
    - Bluetooth
    - AC
    - Electric wing windows
    - MP3 connectivity
    Huge boot and lots or room in back seat. I'm 6 ft and can sit in it comfortably, even behind the driver seat.
    Length and width of car is perfect (in fact is shorter than my 98 Corolla) and no problems in car parks, traffic, etc. Same as any family saloon or hatchback.

Would defintely recommend to anyone looking for an alternative to a Nissan Qashqai or similar crossover

Good man. I was looking at the Experience model, some spec for €26k :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 marycurtis

- Bluetooth
    - AC
    - Electric wing windows
    - MP3 connectivity

Just wondering if you are still loving your Yetti? Thinking of getting one now! Are you put off by the 2wd verse 4wd comments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I think they're fairly compromised and a bit pointless without 4WD. For most people the appeal of these things lies in their perceived practicality and versatility - attributes that are compromised without four wheel drive. If you want a 2WD Skoda why not just buy an Octavia combi FFS! If I owned a 2WD Yeti I'd feel a fool, especially in the snow, to be stuck going nowhere like all the normal cars despite the looks of my vehicle suggesting otherwise.

Clearly most Qashqai owners dont feel the same :rolleyes::D

Clearly most Qashqai owners dont feel the same :rolleyes::D

Clearly not. I hate Qashqais. Ugly, pointless bastard things.

• Advertisement

clearly not an issue I have given enough thought to!
    I drive a 10 year old Honda HRV - I have had it since new and it still is fabulous car. unfortunately, as with all old cars the insurance, tax etc. is too high.
    I want a comfy car, cheap to run, fun to drive, that does not look like my granny should be driving it.

Any idea's?.......................

VW Polo-the new one is cool in the right spec and streets ahead of the overrated heaps of ****e that preceded it. Perhaps not big enough for you though.

Kia Soul-I think it's kinda cool. Good value and likely to be reliable with a big warranty. Get the diesel.

Citroen DS-again it's cool, different and will likely be very cheap to run. There are lots of custom options too to make it your own. This'd probably be my pick of the three.

I've said cool three times. Bugger, I'm getting old.

Thanks for the advice - you will now be known as Daddy Cool which is kind of cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭freighter

A mate has the tdi yeti. He got the top of the range one. He is very impressed with it. I like them actually you get a lot of bang for your buck

coolbeans wrote: »
    I think they're fairly compromised and a bit pointless without 4WD. For most people the appeal of these things lies in their perceived practicality and versatility - attributes that are compromised without four wheel drive. If you want a 2WD Skoda why not just buy an Octavia combi FFS! If I owned a 2WD Yeti I'd feel a fool, especially in the snow, to be stuck going nowhere like all the normal cars despite the looks of my vehicle suggesting otherwise.

My elderly parents love the ease of getting in and out of a higher vehicle and also the better views when going for a drive. (They have a Qashqai and love it) Also why do so many mums drive these type of vehicles?? Try lifting children in and out of these compared to a family saloon and you will soon see the reason why.

You have offered "your" opinion and "your" opinion only. Clearly there is a market for 2WD SUV's that does not involved off road driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    Clearly there is a market for 2WD SUV's that does not involved off road driving.

Clearly there is ...but what many buyers fail to see is that an AWD system with a Haldex coupling like the Yeti's also offers clear safety advantages ON the road and isn't just designed for farmers and forestry workers.

Especially in a country like Ireland, with bad roads that are frequently flooded / covered in slippery muck / not treated for frost, ice and snow, AWD is a great safety feature. It works without you having to do anything, most of the time it works without you even knowing about it and it keeps the vehicle surefooted in difficult conditions.

Why anyone would consciously downgrade a car that was designed with this feature in mind is beyond me.

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »
    Clearly there is ...but what many buyers fail to see is that an AWD system with a Haldex coupling like the Yeti's also offers clear safety advantages ON the road and isn't just designed for farmers and forestry workers.

Especially in a country like Ireland, with bad roads that are frequently flooded / covered in slippery muck / not treated for frost, ice and snow, AWD is a great safety feature. It works without you having to do anything, most of the time it works without you even knowing about it and it keeps the vehicle surefooted in difficult conditions.

Why anyone would consciously downgrade a car that was designed with this feature in mind is beyond me.

Cost is the answer. Compare a Qashqai 2WD with the 4WD version.

Cost is the answer. Compare a Qashqai 2WD with the 4WD version.

Makes 'em kinda pointless then doesn't it or at least less than as good as they could be hence "my" opinion. They're designed for four wheel drive and a bit silly without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

lmao 110bhp from a 2.0 common rail tdi:eek:

thats laughable. i mean BMW are now getting 188bhp from a 2.0 diesel nowadays.

how are they managing to get such low output? does it do 100mpg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

There's also a 140 but in a small car its enough for its intended market.

coolbeans wrote: »
    Makes 'em kinda pointless then doesn't it or at least less than as good as they could be hence "my" opinion. They're designed for four wheel drive and a bit silly without it.

I have already provided you with reasons why they are not pointless to certain groups.

• Advertisement

bmw535d wrote: »

The older VW TDi engines are stuck into Skoda's and Seat cars it seems.

:rolleyes:

I mean BMW nowadays are getting 113bhp from a 2.0 diesel in the 116d and 316d. Is it so laughable now tell me?

You can get a yeti with that 2.0 diesel in outputs of 110, 140 and 170bhp, obviously the output is lowered accordingly to market forces and to gain better economy, exactly the same thing is done at BMW

And btw, BMW nowadays are also getting 201bhp from a 2.0 diesel in the form of the 123d

The older VW TDi engines are stuck into Skoda's and Seat cars it seems.

Nothing "older" about it i'm afraid, the 2.0 CR TDi with 110 bhp and 140 bhp were launched just before the introduction of the Mk6 Golf, which used the 2.0 110bhp CR TDi as the base diesel engine for the Irish market until late 2009 when the 1.6TDi with 105bhp replaced it because of superior fuel economy, the 2.0 CR TDi with 140bhp is still available in this country. The 2.0 CR TDi with 110bhp is still available in the Golf Mk6, just not in this country

And dealing with that comment on a general scale, look through the current ranges and you will find very few examples of it. From a Skoda point of view, in their entire range there is only the base diesel Superb which uses a 105bhp 1.9 PD TDi that could be described as older

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

Everything that comes off your keypad is absolute drivel...

Advertisement