Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A in Business

Options
  • 23-01-2010 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hey, I got a D2 in business last year and now I'm back doing the leaving. I know business can be a good subject to get an A or B in but it just doesn't seem to be working for me, could anyone who's doing well this year or did well last year give me some advice on how to get up to a B standard or higher?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 siobhanher

For short questions, focus on definitions, ratios, memos and organisational structures.

For ABQ, make sure for every point you make directly quote from the story, then give your theory and then bring the story into the theory. The ABQ is worth the most marks, if you perfect that (which won't be hard since it's units 2,3,4) you're more likely to get a higher grade.

For long questions I answer question 1 on part 1 on People in Business, and then 3 questions from part 2, usually questions 4,5,6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭AxlRose1992

Yeah, the short questions are all definitions, memos and little pieces that come up over the course.

The ABQ uses State, Explain, Example. For every question, State what it's asking (for example, if it askes "What characteristics of an entrepreneur does the guy show", state the definition for a characteristic of an entrepreneur).

Then Explain it. So if he shows signs of being creative, explain what being creative means.

Finally, use an Example from the text. In other words, quote from text to support you reason for stating that he's creative.

Then the long questions just require knowledge from the rest of the course. Ireland and E.U. always come up, Marketing comes up a lot and my teacher reckons Change will come up this year. Just study your book.

BTW, the ABQ this year is on units 2,3 and 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭dodgystuff

If a question asks you to "Evaluate..." you have to say something like "this is valuable because.." somewhere in your answer.

If a question asks you "Illustrate..." you have to give an example. For example, "Illustrate your understanding of the term entrepreneur", give the definition and then say e.g. Richard Branson etc.

Short questions. Tend to be the usual kinda things, just look through previous years in papers and answer them best you can without looking at the book, then go and learn off the ones you dont know, highlight them, and come back to them every few weeks/month. Try and know as many defintions, roughly enough in your own words would even do. Also things like drawing Maslow's hierarchy of needs, spans of control, ratios.

If you haven't already got the book "coming to terms with business" I suggest you get your hands on it. It gives a definition of hundreds of terms in alphabetical order which is handy.

For the long questions, question 1 is always going to be about a law. So if you know things like contract law, sale of goods.., industrial relations, unfair dismissals and all them you should be fine with this.

Question 2's are always things like economic variables and Public/Private Limited companies and all that chapter.

Bullet point your answers.

That's all I can think of for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

This is actually pretty helpful [=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 knwaca

Just keep writing, whatever (relevant) stuff comes into your head get it down. Know how to write a report, our teacher says thats likely to come up in the ABQ this year..other than that to get an A/B knowing the whole course is necessary because the short Q's come from everywhere in the course, luckly its not that hard to learn! best of luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement