Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Change the name of this forum to the Football forum

• 23-01-2010 3:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

The name isn't currently taken on boards by GAA or American Football so why not?

Lets return to the proper name of the sport before people actually start believing that proper football is played with your hands.

Should this be the Football Forum instead of Soccer Forum? 6 votes

yes
    0%
    no
    100%
    The VoltJohnerCHDEire-DearggetcoverGlico Man 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

If it aint broke and all.............

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

no
    IBTL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Jesus H Christ - who cares?

no
    noodler wrote: »
    Jesus H Christ - who cares?
    eh, Voltwad obv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I ****ing hate it being called soccer and it annoys me that I occassionally have to use the word to distinguish it between that game where they pick the ball up! :mad:

• Advertisement

Have you no bigger problems in your life?

I envy you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

no
    "Football, soccer, whatever you want to call it"

It's called football. The word 'soccer' just.. ugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I envy you.

I was taking the piss but you carry on mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

no

I envy you.
    chill-pill.jpg

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    I was taking the piss but you carry on mate

Look at the times of our respective posts.

Also, look who you got a thanks from! Your sarcasm leaves alot to be desired obviously!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Origin of the Word Soccer

Same as the origins of soccer as a game, the origin of the word soccer can be attributed to different countries. As you probably know already, the game itself wasn't invented by the English, but it was them who popularized it and organized it under a strict set of rules.

Nowadays, the word soccer is usually attributed to Americans, but just like the above example, it was not the Americans who first used or invented the word, they were simply the ones that used it to full effect.

So where did the word soccer come from? I'll try to solve this mystery in the article ahead. You probably know of the slight dispute revolving around the word "soccer". The English will never agree to use the term "soccer" around what they call "football" for centuries.

Paradoxally, the origin of the word soccer comes from…you guessed, England. But in order to fully understand what I'm talking about, keep reading ahead as I'll share some of the beautiful history of soccer.

The date of October 26th 1863 is to soccer what March 4th 1787 is to the United States. It's the day that several soccer clubs all around England gathered up in London and formed The Football Association, the first soccer organization up to that date.

The reason I compared this date to the day the United States Constitution was adopted because the Football Association organized the game into a sportive "constitution" called the Laws of Football. The term "soccer" appeared shortly after, being an abbreviation from "Football Association" (from assoc.) and although not as heavily used as soccer, it was a short, light form to describe the phenomenon.

Reportedly, the man who stands at the origin of the word soccer is Charles Wreford Brown, an Oxford student who always preferred shortened versions of words, such as brekkers for breakfast, or rugger for rugby.

Soccer gained popularity in the United States later than in the rest of Europe and since the Americans already had a use for the world "football" in understanding the sport of American Football, a middle option was tried on in between 1945 and 1975, when the organization that controlled soccer in the USA was called the "United States Soccer Football Association".

Besides being long, the name was still confusing so after 1974 it simply adopted the name of "United States Soccer Federation" and the word "soccer" would define the sport in the US area ever since.

It's often mistakenly thought that the United States are the only country that uses the term soccer for what is traditionally known as football in Europe, Asia and other parts of the World. However, the new name was adopted by other countries, specifically those that associated football to a different sport prior to soccer being popular. Such countries include Australia, Canada, New Zealand and some parts of Ireland.

So it really makes no difference. Why hate a word?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

noodler take a break, have a Kit Kat

no
    Look at the times of our respective posts.

Also, look who you got a thanks from! Your sarcasm leaves alot to be desired obviously!
    Yeah he meant me obv since its kinda like Im stalking him this morning.

Headshot wrote: »
    noodler take a break, have a Kit Kat

I reported that post of a lazy attempt at humour. Just wait until I am mod, you'll only be allowed in the UTD thread!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement