Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Working Life: Coop In the Big Schmoke!

• 23-01-2010 4:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭

And so from the jaws of fUnemployment cson esquire snatched employment. After much to-ing, fro-ing and the horror prospect of a job in Cashel the coop office came through for me and got me an interview in a pretty damn good accountants in Dublin. Ended up getting the job. So kudos to all concerned considering the lack of jobs out there. I will say to all you prospective coop-ers; get your QCA up above 3.0 if you can at all for the year preceeding your coop (2nd year for me) because you'll struggle to get even interviews without a 2.1 :(

Work.... as great as it is to have it, fooking sucks. Big time. Having not reaally had to rise before 11am for the past 2 years or so, having the alarm blaring at 7am is pretty **** to say the least. I didn't think such an hour even existed. The commute is taking me an hour. I haven't been able to move into my house yet (which is even further than where I'm staying, but it is only €150/month) which isn't great either.

The Reservoir Dogs style suit and trenchcoat thing as your work uniform whilst I actually was looking forward to this bit, the novelty sort of wears off after 3 days. Suits are kinda uncomfortable. The work itself is basic stuff, everyoe elses donkey work which is to be expected; I'm not even near the ladder let alone the bottom rung of it!

Anyway, this thread is gonna be my diary/bitchplace/happyplace and so on for the next 7 months. :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Then you graduate, get a job, but decide to ditch it for a year in the SU working for the students and figure out after 6 months that you never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever everever ever ever ever EVER want to be an accountant.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

*gulp*

Co-Op in May, in Galway. I hope it's starts off better for me, the lazy bum that I am.
    How're you commuting? Driving or public transport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

cson wrote: »
    And so from the jaws of fUnemployment cson esquire snatched employment. After much to-ing, fro-ing and the horror prospect of a job in Cashel the coop office came through for me and got me an interview in a pretty damn good accountants in Dublin. Ended up getting the job. So kudos to all concerned considering the lack of jobs out there. I will say to all you prospective coop-ers; get your QCA up above 3.0 if you can at all for the year preceeding your coop (2nd year for me) because you'll struggle to get even interviews without a 2.1 :(

Work.... as great as it is to have it, fooking sucks. Big time. Having not reaally had to rise before 11am for the past 2 years or so, having the alarm blaring at 7am is pretty **** to say the least. I didn't think such an hour even existed. The commute is taking me an hour. I haven't been able to move into my house yet (which is even further than where I'm staying, but it is only €150/month) which isn't great either.

The Reservoir Dogs style suit and trenchcoat thing as your work uniform whilst I actually was looking forward to this bit, the novelty sort of wears off after 3 days. Suits are kinda uncomfortable. The work itself is basic stuff, everyoe elses donkey work which is to be expected; I'm not even near the ladder let alone the bottom rung of it!

Anyway, this thread is gonna be my diary/bitchplace/happyplace and so on for the next 7 months. :D

Fine work!

You working somewhere in the city centre? Pint at some stage, there are some wonderful drinking establishments in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

*gulp*

Co-Op in May, in Galway. I hope it's starts off better for me, the lazy bum that I am.
    How're you commuting? Driving or public transport?

Public transport. Which is the worst I've come across ever. Perhaps Chicago spoilt me but still for our capital city it's a bit embarrassing to be honest.
    rmacm wrote: »
    Fine work!

You working somewhere in the city centre? Pint at some stage, there are some wonderful drinking establishments in Dublin.

I'm in Ranelagh but yeah we'll head for a pint at some stage for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

Hmmm, a few weeks down and I'm pretty much settled now. Despite myself and the photocopier being on first name terms I am actually doing some pretty intensive stuff thanks to me being posted to the Consultancy Dept where we deal with liquidations. And as you can imagine, there's a lot of them flying around.

Living in Glasnevin at the moment solely for the cheap rent. Finally getting UPC broadband in on Saturday. On the internet now courtesy of o2's free trial, thanking you o2 :D

The commute is sorta killing me though; up at 7am to catch a 7.40am bus to avoid the rush hour traffic. It's still a 30min spin across town so depending on the bus punctuality I'm usually in 30-40mins early. Better than rushing though for my own personal preference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

rmacm wrote: »
    Fine work!

Thats about it ......... apart from the the big dildo!!! Which from wat I here..... ye wouldn't be interested in!!:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

DJCR wrote: »
    Thats about it ......... apart from the the big dildo!!! Which from wat I here..... ye wouldn't be interested in!!:D:D:D

I take it you're on about the stiletto in the ghetto?

There are several other fine establishments here in Dublin that don't involve alcohol. National Gallery, Natural History Museum there's plenty to do in Dublin. Now where did I leave my pint :P

Advertisement