Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sour/Off Milk

Options
  • 23-01-2010 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

Just a quick question.

Bought two litres of milk the other day and today I opened one and took a glug of it ( I know, I shouldn't drink from the carton :D ).

Needless to say reading the topic, I nearly got sick. This milk was disgusting.

I opened the second carton, and it too is "off", despite both of them not being up until the 27th. The smell from them is quite bad..

What do i do about this ? Will i contact the dairy to let them know that a bad batch of milk is in stores or should I just bring it back to the shop I bought it and look for two new litres ?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

bring them back to the shop and they will swop them for you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

You might be as well off checking that your fridge is working alright. I had a similar problem with milk in my Uni house and it was that the fridge was working fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

This happened to my dad, he rang up the dairy and let them know. They didn't seem very interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

phasers wrote: »
    This happened to my dad, he rang up the dairy and let them know. They didn't seem very interested.

Each batch would be tested before it leave the depo.

It's more likely that either the shops fridge wasn't holding temp or your fridge is on the blink.

Don't forget if you got your milk with the weekly shop and it was in the trolley and the car for more than 20mins this could spoil it too.

Once something chilled is out of the fridge for more than 20 mins. retailers waste it.

I hate milk and your experience has turned my stomach!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Don't forget if you got your milk with the weekly shop and it was in the trolley and the car for more than 20mins this could spoil it too.

Once something chilled is out of the fridge for more than 20 mins. retailers waste it.

This must mean everyone who has milk delivered by a milkman to the doorstep @5am, 3 times a week in my case, should bin the milk when they get up at 8am :confused:

possible it's bad yes, in the event of improper storage by the retailer but it would need to be sitting in the heat for a bit to turn by the time you get it home from the shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

This happened to me a few weeks ago, within 24 hours of buying it, but about a week before its sell-by date. Emailed the local SuperValu, and was told to come in for a swap or a refund.

I had bought the milk quite late in the day, and noticed that there was an awful lot of it in stock for that time of the evening. I assumed that it had been delivered late, or held up somewhere (probably outside when it was relatively mild).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Go back to the shop, the dairy won't really care

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

calex71 wrote: »
    This must mean everyone who has milk delivered by a milkman to the doorstep @5am, 3 times a week in my case, should bin the milk when they get up at 8am :confused:

possible it's bad yes, in the event of improper storage by the retailer but it would need to be sitting in the heat for a bit to turn by the time you get it home from the shop.

Good point... surely for 10 days of the year in Ireland, the temperature would be above 5 degrees for the 3 hours it's on the door step.

My neighbors get milk delivered too and never had probs, but only low fat which doesn't seem to go off as fast.

So the bottle should say, keep refrigerated most of the time....

Advertisement