Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re: marketbill.com and Downloadcave.com (Conned)

Options
  • 23-01-2010 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi,
    A bit of background. I signed up for file download site (downloadcave.com) and gave over my credit card details, they took €3.90 from my CC for a 7 day preview. I had suspicions they were dodgy, so i checked up after i agreed -very silly, i know.
    Turns out yes, they are dodgy. I have rang my credit card company and told them to cancel my card, they will then reissue my card. But I am afraid i will be debited a further 50 euro for a years membership of this site after my triall period is up.
    Is there anything I can do to stop this. I have emailed the site and said I wish to cancel my subscription, The payment site is marketbill.com. I have a contact number for them, should I ring them when they open on monday and ask to cancel. There number is a premium rate international number.

I heard I need to close my CC account completely to stop any further debits.
    Anyone have experience of these sites?

Any advice thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Hi OP,
    Your heading says Download.com (conned) but your post says downloadcave.com.
    Which one is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I've modified the title, as Download.com is quite reputable.

It looks like you bought membership to a site that sells copyright content illegally. I don't know what sort of recourse you may have with them, as it's obviously not a legitimate business. Reversing the payment is probably the only way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 johnlo

Wierd, I bought a membership from downloadcave and I didn't get charged more than the $5. It's been 2 weeks since I purchased.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So you subscribed to a site that allows you to illegally download movies, errr ok
    You've both done some illegal then

You've subscribed to a illegal service even if they did allow you to download stuff,
    They've taken your money.

Try a chargback I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Is this a thing like rapidshare?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hogzy wrote: »
    Is this a thing like rapidshare?

No and its dodgy as they come, you'd be extremely foolish to give them any of your payment details

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Just wondering why you have to close your cc compleately?
    Did your bank tell you this? When you request a new card it comes
    with a compleate set of numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Lenny wrote: »
    Just wondering why you have to close your cc compleately?
    Did your bank tell you this? When you request a new card it comes
    with a compleate set of numbers

Depending on the company they can still get a payment even if you cancel the card and get a new one reissued, as it's the same account you're using. Not too sure if an out of country site can do this but some Irish companies can. Only way they can't do it is if you close your account and move CC companies.

Advertisement