Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COMP10020 group project.

Options
  • 23-01-2010 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

I'm a first year arts student doing computer science but the module has so many people in it and I haven't made any friends in this module. There's a group project and I know no one to be in a group with. Anyone in the same situation? Want to start a group?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

meathawk wrote: »
    I'm a first year arts student doing computer science but the module has so many people in it and I haven't made any friends in this module. There's a group project and I know no one to be in a group with. Anyone in the same situation? Want to start a group?

Good to see their giving you guys a project. Best thing to do is to talk to people in labs, I bet you'll find a group that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭meathawk

Due to budget cuts they have ceased practicals I think, well that's what our semester 1 lecturer said. I miss Gianluca Pollastri. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

wow, thats really bad. There is already a complete lack of community in Computer Science getting rid of the small group stuff other than this project will just make things worse. I recommend talking to people in lectures otherwise you'll find yourself forced in with a group of people who probably don't even show up to classes. Best of luck tho.

Yeah it is rather bad, it also suddenly got a lot harder. I was kind of lost last semester towards the end, practicals really would've helped. Anyways if anyone wants a partner for the project!?!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Yeah it is rather bad, it also suddenly got a lot harder. I was kind of lost last semester towards the end, practicals really would've helped. Anyways if anyone wants a partner for the project!?!!?

No, there are practicals this semester - check your weekly timetable (they start this Monday).

Hope the group thing goes okay - seeing that so many marks are predicated on teamwork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I miss Gianluca Pollastri. :(

*Does not share the sentiment*

Why do we have to continue with processing?..... >_< WHY?

I really liked him, I personally thought he was great. Hmmm, what to do what to do. I was thinking about doing the project solo if that would be possible....

Oh we do have practicals, I could've sworn the new lecturer said something about no practicals in the first lecture.

I really liked him, I personally thought he was great. Hmmm, what to do what to do. I was thinking about doing the project solo if that would be possible....

Oh we do have practicals, I could've sworn the new lecturer said something about no practicals in the first lecture.

He was nice, but I prefer the new guy tbh.

We dont have practicals, the radiography students have practicals, the rest of us dont.

It's weird that it's scheduled in there. UCD's a mess, maybe it's time to hand in the aul' student card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Talk to the lecturer and ask them if they know of anyone currently without a group

I'm sure they could announce in class for people to stay behind if they need a group, and there ya go, you have your group

• Advertisement

Fad wrote: »
    He was nice, but I prefer the new guy tbh.

We dont have practicals, the radiography students have practicals, the rest of us dont.

Oh sweet jesus!

Will they get rid of lectures as well when they bring back fees? Just learn from home and get charged E6000 a year?

If this course gets any worse I might just drop out. :mad:

If they are still using processing in one of those two modules... :mad::mad::mad:

And for this IT job: what languages do you know? Python? Java... maybe C++?
    Err... Processing

I will give the course the benefit of the doubt... for the moment :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

I'm in this module too.Has he decided on how the groups are being decided? he was a bit in-between last time he mentioned it.

It's really messed up,the sisweb says I'm registered for a different module[tmetabled as this one] and blackboard leads to the other course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I have practicals listed in my timetable, now I'm confused.

Sure it's not tutorials that radiography only have or are they considered the same thing in this course?

The whole thing is really annoying, anyone have practicals listen from 2-4pm tomorrow? Should I go?
    How do we access course notes and stuff, I didn't write it down for some reason, it's not on the CSI MOODLE. Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

there is a link on the blackboard course document folder,but the header in the page is a different module code. I'd go with the lecturer rather than the timetable,but I'm not a huge fan of lectures anyway.

Sure I'll turn up to the practical that is mentioned on my timetable - and if it doesn't exist I will just be unhappy.

He said in the lecture that only radiography students have practicals.

I think he said he's going to use moodle, but it has to be set up (Same with Comp Architecture).

The processing thing is annoying me though, I have to learn Java for Software Engineering (We are NOT using Alice, before anyone tries to say that!) anyway, so in my other programming module I'm stuck learning this arbitrary and useless language that's just making me lazy (it does so much for you!) and apathetic.

So, were the praticals on today then?

Dear students,

As was the case in Semester 1 with COMP10010, COMP10020 Introduction to Programming II in semester 2 will have no practicals. We have now updated the UCD system to reflect this and this should be reflected to you later today or early tomorrow. Feel free to review your module selections, previous restrictions due to old COMP10020 times may no longer apply. If you experience any difficulties please contact me.

Our sincere apologies for any incontinence caused.

On behalf of Guillem Lefait (TA COMP10020 Introduction to Programming II)

---
    I almost think that the 'incontinence' bit is a deliberate dig (but... probably... just a typo).

Does anybody know if we have to work in groups?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I wanted to reply that if they were really sorry they'd clean up the big pile of piss drenched crap on my floor.

But then that sounds fairly disgusting so it does.

• Advertisement
Advertisement