Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what the... ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

No idea what that was about as I never frequent AH but a quick glance through the guys/gals previous posts would perhaps indicate that there was a certain amount of trolling in AH prior to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Jazzy wrote: »
    is this the standard of moderating on these forums? is this how de-humanised it currently is?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055807400

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64131646&postcount=1

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64131778&postcount=8

seems like throwing authority around just for the sake of it, not unlike current events regarding decision making here. is there no such thing as leigh-way(sp?) anymore? no understanding? no micromanagement? just a case of 'i can so i will'. seeing this kind of laziness and lack of social ability on the site is extremely frustrating. you feel squeezed and paranoid which just builds up frustration, which takes away from the fun and social aspect of the site
    jazzy you really are mr angry. Channel that anger into something more positive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Did you PM Zohan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

is this the standard of moderating on these forums? is this how de-humanised it currently is?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055807400

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64131646&postcount=1

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64131778&postcount=8

seems like throwing authority around just for the sake of it, not unlike current events regarding decision making here. is there no such thing as leigh-way(sp?) anymore? no understanding? no micromanagement? just a case of 'i can so i will'. seeing this kind of laziness and lack of social ability on the site is extremely frustrating. you feel squeezed and paranoid which just builds up frustration, which takes away from the fun and social aspect of the site

The way I looked at the thread is if everybody goes around caling everyone else "arse bandits" someone will get offended, as is what happened in this case- the post was reported.

So posters get offended at being called "arse bandits" and they reply with a more derogatory term, what happens then? The majority of posters are pissed off calling each other names and the discussion forum goes out the window.

If posters want to vent or call each other "arse bandits" they can do so in the Thunderdome and there are zero consequences..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

TheZohan wrote: »
    The way I looked at the thread is if everybody goes around caling everyone else "arse bandits" someone will get offended, as is what happened in this case- the post was reported.

So posters get offended at being called "arse bandits" and they reply with a more derogatory term, what happens then? The majority of posters are pissed off calling each other names and the discussion forum goes out the window.

If posters want to vent or call each other "arse bandits" they can do so in the Thunderdome and there are zero consequences..

do you not think maybe that the person reporting the post was perhaps wrong and should have been told to chill? the op wasnt calling the entire forum arse bandits, he was just giving a slightly humorous greeting which ppl shouldnt think too much about. i think you just wanted to ban him

• Advertisement

do you not think maybe that the person reporting the post was perhaps wrong and should have been told to chill? the op wasnt calling the entire forum arse bandits, he was just giving a slightly humorous greeting which ppl shouldnt think too much about. i think you just wanted to ban him
    looking at the term here jazzy. Its derogatory. dont think there was much mod could have done there but ban poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

looking at the term here jazzy. Its derogatory. dont think there was much mod could have done there but ban poster.
    There were lots of options. Banning just being one of the more severe.

Its not as if he proclaimed poster_x to be a fat druggie bitch.

Remember that reactions should meet the action. Going for a full banning felt severe when an infraction or warning may have been more appropriate in this case.

they could have edited the post to take away the arse bandits thing. they could have sent a pm to say "edit your post". they could have done both and gone "i edited your post so it doesnt say arse bandits".

nope. he banned him straight off because he wanted to. and this is what im talking about - over bearing and unnecessary. it causes paranoia which causes frustration... or else it causes ar$e licking as ppl will always want to get on the good sides of the mods so that when they start a post saying "alright arse bandits" the mod will magically understand it and lol along :)

they could have edited the post to take away the arse bandits thing. they could have sent a pm to say "edit your post". they could have done both and gone "i edited your post so it doesnt say arse bandits".

nope. he banned him straight off because he wanted to. and this is what im talking about - over bearing and unnecessary. it causes paranoia which causes frustration... or else it causes ar$e licking as ppl will always want to get on the good sides of the mods so that when they start a post saying "alright arse bandits" the mod will magically understand it and lol along :)
    again its about the term. If you let it go once you are saying term is acceptable. Even in Urban dictionary it s described as derogatory.

again its about the term. If you let it go once you are saying term is acceptable. Even in Urban dictionary it s described as derogatory.

well then, if the urban dictionary said so......

no. i dont buy that. thats far too robot like. if you are to take the literal meaning of every term thats posted here everyone would be banned. this is what i meant about lee-way, understanding and humanisation

• Advertisement

I see your point and to be perfectly honest if the poster didn't have 5 infractions and 8 forum bans(that I can see) for mostly trolling I probably wouldn't have banned him.

no. i dont buy that. thats far too robot like. if you are to take the literal meaning of every term thats posted here everyone would be banned. this is what i meant about lee-way, understanding and humanisation

Again that is a very good point that you've made and I will bear that in mind in future, I appreciate the feedback.

Again that is a very good point that you've made and I will bear that in mind in future, I appreciate the feedback.

carrots and sticks isnt it :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

If I walked into a shop and said "hey ass bandit give me a pack of b&h" and was told to leave the shop immediately and not to come back, I'd kinda say fair enough.

Why should it be different on the internet?

Even though no specific offence was meant by it (I'm sure) it's a stupid way to start a thread and shows nothing other than a cocky disregard for the forum by the poster.

Also, a ban from AH is not nearly as serious as a ban from other fora. It's almost a badge of honour for some people.

I see your point and to be perfectly honest if the poster didn't have 5 infractions and 8 forum bans(that I can see) for mostly trolling I probably wouldn't have banned him.
    thats a lot of bans really. think poster would have learned his lesson by now.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The full count is actually 9 infractions and 7 warnings in addition to the forum bans, so this guy is hovering on the edge of a siteban imo.

That aside, Jazzy, if you have an issue with any aspect regarding the moderation of the site please PM the mod in question first. Should you remain unsatisfied by their response you should PM one of the CMods. If you're still unhappy after that you can start a thread in Help Desk. Full details can be found in the Dispute Resolution Procedure.

thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement