Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access DB

Options
  • 23-01-2010 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

Hi, prob not the right place for this question so feel free to move it along.
    I have developed a massive relational db in MS access, originally it was intended for singular use but a few people have seen it and want to have a copy.
    I want to secure it so that none of the fields and backend workings are apparent, does anyone know how I can distribute this db in such a way.

I also am thinking of moving it to a web based server, and will need to change to SQL or MySQL, I am afraid of loosing most of the form views as there are a few hundred and to have to do it all again would be annoying.

I would appreciate any help or idea's you may have, Firstly I think the main thing is to secure the single distribution so that I can provide users the db functions but not show them how it is all achieved.

Thanks

Mike...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

Hi Mike,

Distributing MS Access applications to hide the backend, and to share the database can be done through an MDE file.
    If you are using Access 2007, you can get a run-time version of access so machines without Access can also have the application installed.

By the sounds of things, I would recommend upgrading to SQL Server (or MySQL), and having a web based application.

The database upgrade is fairly straight forward, but you'll have to do some work on the forms.
    My recommendation (as you're using MS Access), would be to download SQL Express and Visual Web Developer Express.

Hope that's a guide for you anyway.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Dr.Silly wrote: »
    Hi Mike,

Distributing MS Access applications to hide the backend, and to share the database can be done through an MDE file.
    If you are using Access 2007, you can get a run-time version of access so machines without Access can also have the application installed.

By the sounds of things, I would recommend upgrading to SQL Server (or MySQL), and having a web based application.

The database upgrade is fairly straight forward, but you'll have to do some work on the forms.
    My recommendation (as you're using MS Access), would be to download SQL Express and Visual Web Developer Express.

Hope that's a guide for you anyway.

Cheers

"some" work is something of an understatement. he will have to redo them all from scratch if he moves to a different enviroment.

what the OP could do to keep his access forms but use a different db backend is :

1. recreate all of his tables in another db (mysql or whatever)
    2. replace all the tables in his access db with links to the tables in the other db.

this will give the benefit of a better backend db but without having to redo a lot of work

Beano wrote: »
    "some" work is something of an understatement. he will have to redo them all from scratch if he moves to a different enviroment.

what the OP could do to keep his access forms but use a different db backend is :

1. recreate all of his tables in another db (mysql or whatever)
    2. replace all the tables in his access db with links to the tables in the other db.

this will give the benefit of a better backend db but without having to redo a lot of work

True, but this won't help in getting the web based part up and running which I think is what OP wants

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

thanks lads,

bit of a stupid question but how do I do about setting up the MDE file.
    Prob best to keep it in access until I get a few requests to change it over.

Mike... wrote: »
    thanks lads,

bit of a stupid question but how do I do about setting up the MDE file.
    Prob best to keep it in access until I get a few requests to change it over.

Hi Mike,

If you're using Access 2007, under database tools, on the far right, there is an option to make an "ACCDE" file.

What you will have to do is store your access database on a share where all the users can access it.
    Then, you'll have to create another Access Database, import all your forms, reports, queries etc, but you'll have to link the tables to the main database which you have in the shared location. This means then that all the data is stored centrally, and your clients are retrieving the data from the shared location.

If you don't do this then all the clients will have different datasets and trying to merge everything would just be a nightmare.

Cheers

• Advertisement

Hi Mike,

Here's a link which I'd recommend for reading.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access/HA102188641033.aspx

Cheers

Advertisement