Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying Camera body in New York City?

• 23-01-2010 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi

I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on this. I am heading to new york on a holiday shortly and was wondering if i buy a Nikon Body can customs charge you for vat when coming back into ireland or America for that matter? or any other hidden charges on that matter?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭jtang

bring a camera bag or buy one when you are there, just get rid of the packaging and they wont notice or check?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

ciaranmc wrote: »
    Hi

I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on this. I am heading to new york on a holiday shortly and was wondering if i buy a Nikon Body can customs charge you for vat when coming back into ireland or America for that matter? or any other hidden charges on that matter?

Cheers

they should charge you vat and duty

if you try and avoid paying it, you are breaking the law

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭milos

Dont worry ciaran. Even if customs charge you vat and any other tax you will still come home with a cheaper camera.

Bought a Nikon d60 in NY for $400 last year.
    Upgraded to a Nikon D90 for €780 this year from net.

D90 can be bought for €1100 in most dublin camera shops.

Enjoy New York

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭ciaranmc

cheers thanks i never said i was trying to avoid it was just wondering what it was because on the customs website it has a digital camera down at 0% so just wanted to see if anyone had first hand experience with this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

ciaranmc wrote: »
    cheers thanks i never said i was trying to avoid it was just wondering what it was because on the customs website it has a digital camera down at 0% so just wanted to see if anyone had first hand experience with this

No import duty on anything used to render a digital image (doesn't include lenses) but expect to pay VAT at 21% plus NYC sales tax (not featured in list price)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I think it's 0% duty, but the VAT is still due.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭ciaranmc

Prenderb wrote: »
    I think it's 0% duty, but the VAT is still due.

is the vat @21% on the us price or the euro price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I'd have thought it's the price you paid, i.e. in US dollars (though converted to Euros so that you can pay them!) Might be worth keeping the receipt just in case.

I stand to be corrected on the above...

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Jacob81

you probably realise this but BH Photo is the place to go in NY bhphotovideo.com I always get people to pick me up something from there when they visit NY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭Fireman

The NY state tax is 10% approx, but if you order by phone and get B&H to send it to someone outside NY there will be no tax.and you could pick it up there. (If you have someone outside NY).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Jacob81

Haha I never knew that bit fireman.. Ive actually been considering buying a canon 50MM 1.4 and having it delivered to indianapolis and sent tp me by my aunt there as a gift.. will this avoid customs in irelad do you think?

Advertisement