Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HBO [US] Boardwalk Empire **Spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

squonk;
    I've been wondering about the lack of chemistry with herself and Nucky too. I know I struggle to see what both of them are getting out of the current arrangement. I know for Margaret, it's probably financial, although her actions seem to belie that and that she may take it more seriously than that.
    I think this season the coolness between them is deliberate, we've seen Margret thinking about getting out of the relationship and finding that she has no where to go. Her acting is spot on for the characters circumstances. What drew them together first is now dwindling as Nookie becomes preoccupied with surviving. No time for lurve this season. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Jimmy is just plain wooden.

Are you talking about the character or the actor?? The character being wooden hardly makes Michael Pitt a bad actor. What about Van Alden??

You could see Jimmy as wooden or cool I suppose... I choose the latter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Incredible episode, easily up there with The Wire and The Sopranos on a completely different level to the other garbage on tv now.

Anyone else expecting those 2 hobos to try and ass-rape Richard forcing him to kill them? I was sure that was what all those close-ups of his knife were for.

Just to clarify something, that gang of rich guys, Jimmy scalped one of them at the end, they're just normal millionaires right looking to get richer? Its not some Jewish/Freemason style thing is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I thought the 2 guys in the forest provided us with the best acting I've seen so far in the series.

It reminded me of Deadwood (the greatest tv show ever made).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

That Richard character just interests me. I honestly have no idea where he's going relative to the other plots in the series. I know any guess I make will likely be way out.
    Also enjoying anything with Chalky in it, and usually I get bored with stories about racism in the US, they often have a one dimensional quality to them that I can't pin down and I lose interest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Jaysus....after tonight we're half way through the season! (that went fast!).

Jaysus....after tonight we're half way through the season! (that went fast!).

See this is what happens when your cousins in America send you the ould tapes, better stickin with the Sky.;)

Actual this and some others need two threads one for us GMT viewers and one for the early birds. I don't mind spoilers but it's getting confusing what episode is being referenced.:confused:

^ thread title says US...ergo US pace, should seem obvious we'd discuss the American release within minutes of it being over, as advised in the Game Of Thrones thread....UK peeps should avoid reading the thread until it's over on Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

there's only one thread for this then i take it

• Advertisement

UK peeps
    Dev's turning in his grave:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Damn this show keeps getting better and better :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

in episode 6, remind me please, what was Van Alden going to confess to??

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

mystic86 wrote: »
    in episode 6, remind me please, what was Van Alden going to confess to??
    Getting Lucy Danziger pregnant - thought that one was obvious! His agent was expecting him to confess to being in cahoots with the illegal alcohol trade - a confession could've just been awkward for everyone.

ixoy wrote: »
    Getting Lucy Danziger pregnant - thought that one was obvious! His agent was expecting him to confess to being in cahoots with the illegal alcohol trade - a confession could've just been awkward for everyone.

well ya its obvious but cause it would have been a confession to work folks I thought maybe I missed something in relation to his colleague getting burned :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

well ya its obvious but cause it would have been a confession to work folks I thought maybe I missed something in relation to his colleague getting burned :)
    Well burn boy suspected him of working with the alcohol importers and when he said "I know what you did" we [the audience] assumed he was referring to the explosion and Alden's "part" in it. But Van Alden must've assumed that they (somehow) knew about his illegitimate child and was presumably ready to accept divine punishment.

It's the kind of classic comic mix-up we get in "Friends" or "How I Met Your Mother". Except Ross is a religious fanatic federal agent with a bastard child and Joey's suffering 1st degree burns from a bomb made by members of the Irish Republican forces :D

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »
    Well burn boy suspected him of working with the alcohol importers and when he said "I know what you did" we [the audience] assumed he was referring to the explosion and Alden's "part" in it. But Van Alden must've assumed that they (somehow) knew about his illegitimate child and was presumably ready to accept divine punishment.

It's the kind of classic comic mix-up we get in "Friends" or "How I Met Your Mother". Except Ross is a religious fanatic federal agent with a bastard child and Joey's suffering 1st degree burns from a bomb made by members of the Irish Republican forces :D

but what was alden's part in the explosion?

I brought lemons. lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I brought lemons. lol

This made me laugh.
    And his little spiel about 'Men of science even say that it is now in god's hands'

Van alden is great. Richard too. So many great characters....capone, rothstein, the jewish butcher who was in die hard with a vengeance, shooter mcgavin.....stellar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

God I love the fact shooter mcgavin is in the show. Damn you people go back to your shanties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

yeah i didn't catch what van alden did at the still before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i had assumed that van alden was going to confess his involvement with the bootleggers to his boss.

i figured he thought that the crispy nugget dude saying "i saw you, i know what you did" meant that as nugget boy was blown up at the shack where van alden had been meeting with the bootleggers, that he knew that van alden had been there making deals with them and if he recovered enough from the burns he'd spill the beans on everything he'd been doing, so added to how bad van aldren obviously felt about the guy getting blown up and knowing that he was only there because he'd followed him in the first place and that he'd wandered from his righteous path (most likely including knocking up yer wan too, although its not going to be of any real interest to his boss either way) van alden wanted to confess his sins, which was obviously the whole theme of the episode given all the other confession related plot points.

having said that though, how come the other one of the two at the shack when it exploded (the one who rescued the crispy bloke) didn't say anything about why they were there or van alden's involvement? surely he would have been there to see how the guy was doing and would have come face to face with van alden in the hospital?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

what deal did van alden make?

what deal did van alden make?
    agreeing not to bust the suppliers (that dude with the annoying laugh) who owned the shack that got blown up and taking back handers from them (to help pay for his knocked up girlfriend) in exchange for info on where they are sending the booze so he can make lots of busts and make it look like he's doing a good job cleaning up the place.

one of the guys that went there when it got blown up knew he'd gone there, but didn't know what he was up to, although they he said he could tell it was full of booze from the smell, hence the idea of them both going back to investigate at night to get a better look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I wish Van Alden would just put us all out of his misery and finish off his annoying girlfriend, a nice baptism would do the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

A good season so far.

William Forsythe (the Jewish butcher) was not in die hard with a vengeance.

He is the detective from Deuce Bigalo Male gigolo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Just finished episode 5.

Wow, you don't mess around with Jimmy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

The years haven't been kind to Uncle Junior.

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    The years haven't been kind to Uncle Junior.
    aside from the snazzy beardy thing i think he actually looks younger. i'm pretty sure he was made to look older and more frail in the soprano's anyway, so he's probably meeting in the middle somewhere at this stage. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Flashgordon197

Have only just watched end of season one. I thought it a good series over all but I think it could have been better if they dumped the wooden actor who plays Jimmy. I also think Nucky is more sinned against than sinning . His brother after getting back his badge (which was completely in Nucky's gift) turns on him despite his cock ups being the cause of his demotion. Jimmy turning has justification the brother no.

Episode #23: "Under God's Power She Flourishes": Nucky prepares Margaret for a worst-case scenario; Jimmy revisits his college days. (Written by Howard Korder; directed by Allen Coulter.) Playdates: December 4, 5, 6, 7 and 10

Episode #24: "To the Lost": In the season finale, Jimmy looks to make amends with Nucky, while Margaret weighs a life-changing decision. (Written by Terence Winter; directed by Tim Van Patten.) Playdates: December 11, 12, 13, 14 and 17

^ episode synopsis....spoilers!...fresh ep. tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Can someone tell me if/when they do reruns of S1??

Want to get into this, I see they show repeats often enough but I want to start from the beginnings.

DB10 wrote: »

Want to get into this, I see they show repeats often enough but I want to start from the beginnings.

Watch the TV guides it in the middle of season 2 on sky so repeats of season 1 are a bit off yet. Duno if any terrestrial channel has optioned this show but I wouldn't be surprised to see it turn up.
    Other option; get the box-set or DL'l it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I never understand the amount of people you get on this forum asking for repeats or when RTE will have it etc etc, you're on the internet, every tv show ever made is at your fingertips. I go on a lot of tv forums for Survivor and other shows I like and this is the only one where this goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Thargor wrote: »
    I never understand the amount of people you get on this forum asking for repeats or when RTE will have it etc etc, you're on the internet, every tv show ever made is at your fingertips. I go on a lot of tv forums for Survivor and other shows I like and this is the only one where this goes on.

maybe some people just aren't sure how downloading works or what way to go about it, have slow connection speeds or don't want to

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 189 ✭✭Bergkamp 10

Thargor wrote: »
    The hassle of downloading it is the problem for me. I prefer to watch on tv if I can at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I never knew what torrents were until last year.
    Or where to go to watch online

Like everything, it's easy when you know but we all had to learn sometime

you dont need to download episodes to watch them....theres lots of hq streams that download in the background and you can watch them as its happening.

involves a bit of technical knowhow, but its not rocket science.
    not sure on the boards policy on this, so will say no more, anyone need anymore help, just pm me

anyway, Margaret, you dirty wench
    and the whole 'we'll discuss this at home...................................................dear' was great.
    and the garotting in the jacks.

it really is the best show on tv at the mo

DB10 wrote: »

if you can't or don't want to download/stream episodes then *probably* the best resource for finding out what shows (and which episodes) are on when is Digiguide.

download and install it, set it up for the channels you have available to you and then search for shows you like.

you can also 'favourite' shows and it will alert you whenever its listings are updated to let you know when and on what channel they are on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Flashgordon197

Better to watch it on TV. I have downloaded but not figured a way to get downloads onto a disc. Watching it n computer screen not the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Better to watch it on TV. I have downloaded but not figured a way to get downloads onto a disc. Watching it n computer screen not the best.

Get a WD TV Live, you won't regret it and no messing around with discs.

If you must watch on discs then convertxtodvd is the best software for this sort of thing.

^ get a TV that has a USB port and supports .mkv and .avi....alot of Samsung or LG tvs support media playback, i personally use the AC Ryan PlayON HD:

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/catalog/ZKB_03ELEC/11_MEDIAPL/default.aspx

Better to watch it on TV. I have downloaded but not figured a way to get downloads onto a disc.
    You burn them as data files and playback on a dvd player that suports the format the file is in. Easier still if you have an xbox is put them on a flashdrive and playback through the xbox.
    Dl'ing is ok if you have a big data cap, not everyone dose. Streaming is no good at the speed I get from a stupid 3g dongle, bloody Eamon Ryan, grumble, grumble...

This show just keeps getting better... another great episode. Haven't been a big fan of Margaret, but thought she really came into her own this episode.
    Explained so much about her past and her independent nature. I wonder would Americans get a lot of the Irish references in the show though.. the Magdelene sisters, the black and tans...
    I also really thought Jimmy was going to give Nucky a heads up about the kill at the end too!

there are probably a dozen different ways you could watch a downloaded show on your TV, you just need to look into doing it.

there's a very good chance you can connect your laptop directly to your TV and watch it that way for nothing more than the price of a cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭squonk

Can the 'How do I download/watch TV shows' stuff be moved to a separate thread? It's kind of deraiing this now.

Great episode! Things are really heating up now.

I particularly loved
    that Nucky's attempt to get Van Alden on side ended up with Van Alden handing over his file to the prosecutor. Things are starting to look fairly sticky for Nucky now. I had a premonition early on that making the case federal might not be the solution it was cracked up to be.

Anyone know who the Charlie guy Jimmy's mom was shagging is? Even that was interesting
    It hints that there is something with herself and Jimmy that he remarked how she was so modest all of a sudden!

I wonder now what the future holds for Margaret?
    I bet at least her and her little sister will keep in touch somehow. It's quite a contrast when you see her two other sisters deferring to her brother at every possible opportunity. It's no surprise she was the outcast of the family really and she's a stronger character than he is.
    . It was good to see an Irish actor but it was clear he wasn't from Kerry. He sounded more Northern Irish I thought.
    As for her getting her rocks off with Eoin, I somehow don't think it'll be a once off thing! God it was more like Boardwalk Knocking Shop for that episode than anything :)

I too thought Jimmy was having a change of heart when he came up to Nookie at the end. Looks like the brown stuff is hitting the fan now. I can't wait to see what Nookie does for payback!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

squonk wrote: »
    Anyone know who the Charlie guy Jimmy's mom was shagging is?
    Charlie Luciano AKA 'Lucky' Luciano.

squonk wrote: »
    Anyone know who the Charlie guy Jimmy's mom was shagging is? Even that was interesting
    It hints that there is something with herself and Jimmy that he remarked how she was so modest all of a sudden!

That was
    Lucky Luciano right?

I thought the scenes with Margaret were great, but kind of hope they give her storyline a break now.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Rodgeb

Episode 7 was great! Things are really starting to kick off now.

It was good to get some info into Margaret's background. Shows just how unforgiving Catholic Ireland could be..... I got the feeling though that this could maybe be the start of an exit strategy for her??

Van Alden again was brilliant, just when you think you have him figured he goes and surprises you again

Rodgeb wrote: »
    Van Alden again was brilliant, just when you think you have him figured he goes and surprises you again

Arguably best character in the show!

Giruilla wrote: »
    Arguably best character in the show!

Dont make me have richard shoot you in the eye...

• Advertisement
Advertisement