Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HBO [US] Boardwalk Empire **Spoilers**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Who did Owen Slater kill?

Called him traitorous but who was he?

It was mentioned being one of Deasy's men so I suppose Liam Deasy who was an IRA commandant
    Was he killed for what happened in Ireland or was it to do with Atlantic city and the booze trade?
    In January 1923, he was captured by Free State forces near Clonmel and sentenced to death. He then signed a document ordering the men under his command to surrender themselves and their arms to the government and for this he was spared execution. Republicans denounced him as a traitor and a coward for this action but Deasy argued in his book, "Brother against Brother", that he was opposed to continuing the civil war anyway and would have called on republicans to surrender whether or not he had been captured.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

I was confused about the whole Owen Slater killing as well. Didn't see it coming at all!
    I'm wondering where this storyline with Jimmy's creepy mother is going. You see him not kissing her back on the lips anymore and recoiling away a bit when she kisses him creepily on the cheek, he knows it's wrong.
    Just don't see where they are going to go with it.
    Anyone any thoughts?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Giruilla wrote: »
    This show just keeps getting better... another great episode. Haven't been a big fan of Margaret, but thought she really came into her own this episode.
    Explained so much about her past and her independent nature. I wonder would Americans get a lot of the Irish references in the show though.. the Magdelene sisters, the black and tans...
    I also really thought Jimmy was going to give Nucky a heads up about the kill at the end too!
    squonk wrote: »
    Can the 'How do I download/watch TV shows' stuff be moved to a separate thread? It's kind of deraiing this now.

Great episode! Things are really heating up now.

I particularly loved
    that Nucky's attempt to get Van Alden on side ended up with Van Alden handing over his file to the prosecutor. Things are starting to look fairly sticky for Nucky now. I had a premonition early on that making the case federal might not be the solution it was cracked up to be.

Anyone know who the Charlie guy Jimmy's mom was shagging is? Even that was interesting
    It hints that there is something with herself and Jimmy that he remarked how she was so modest all of a sudden!

I wonder now what the future holds for Margaret?
    I bet at least her and her little sister will keep in touch somehow. It's quite a contrast when you see her two other sisters deferring to her brother at every possible opportunity. It's no surprise she was the outcast of the family really and she's a stronger character than he is.
    . It was good to see an Irish actor but it was clear he wasn't from Kerry. He sounded more Northern Irish I thought.
    As for her getting her rocks off with Eoin, I somehow don't think it'll be a once off thing! God it was more like Boardwalk Knocking Shop for that episode than anything :)

I too thought Jimmy was having a change of heart when he came up to Nookie at the end. Looks like the brown stuff is hitting the fan now. I can't wait to see what Nookie does for payback!!!
    telekon wrote: »
    Charlie Luciano AKA 'Lucky' Luciano.
    That was
    Lucky Luciano right?

I thought the scenes with Margaret were great, but kind of hope they give her storyline a break now.

What's with the spoilers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

As regards Owen's killing, I had the impression his victim was a member of the IRA who defected and helped the black and tans

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

For those watching on Sky Atlantic, I thought? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

The thread title specifically states it's for the "HBO [US]" pace of the show, and that it contains "**Spoilers**".

I'd be of the opinion that once it airs on HBO, it's fair game here.

Thread title mentions that the thread is for people watching on the US schedule, is the 2nd season even on Atlantic yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Thread title mentions that the thread is for people watching on the US schedule, is the 2nd season even on Atlantic yet?

On on a Saturday night, we are at ep5 this Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

tommy2bad wrote: »
    On on a Saturday night, we are at ep5 this Saturday.

last saturday was ep5, it's 6 this week. So going by wikipedia this thread is only 2 weeks ahead it says ep7 orignal air date was November the sixth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭squonk

I was replying early yesterday morning so it was a courtesy to those on the board who mightn't have gotten to the episode yet. By now it's fair game :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Unlike the "Downton Abbey" thread where TV3 and ITV are / were a week behind - this thread is clearly full of spoilers (if you're not in the US / streaming/ downloading).
    I usually watch the show and then read the reviews - even if the show in question was first aired in 1901.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

jessie1 wrote: »
    I'm wondering where this storyline with Jimmy's creepy mother is going. You see him not kissing her back on the lips anymore and recoiling away a bit when she kisses him creepily on the cheek, he knows it's wrong.
    Just don't see where they are going to go with it.
    Anyone any thoughts?

He has possibly realised that incest is a bit creepy and nasty and that he has spent most of his life the victim of a paedophilic predator.Maybe.

He has possibly realised that incest is a bit creepy and nasty and that he has spent most of his life the victim of a paedophilic predator.Maybe.

Thats what makes this great TV, the development of the characters as the story progresses. It's not sudden revelations or plot driven changes. They have small aspects that are drawn out by events, they have regrets and doubts.
    Top quality writing.

If she was my mother I wouldn't say no.

If she was my mother I wouldn't say no.

If she was your mother nither would I;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Rovi wrote: »
    The thread title specifically states it's for the "HBO [US]" pace of the show, and that it contains "**Spoilers**".

I'd be of the opinion that once it airs on HBO, it's fair game here.

^ +1...enough with the damn spoilers! :mad:

tommy2bad wrote: »
    If she was your mother nither would I;)
    Touché :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Darmody is an amateur

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

mystic86 wrote: »
    Darmody is an amateur

...and soon to be gracing a meathook. The "pups" are already imploding.

• Advertisement

is jimmy based on a real person? I know a lot of them are but can't remember about him.

Only thing about knowing that is you know the won't be killed, like in ep.6 where jimmy & the butcher are hijacking the truck's of booze and luciano's there i knew he would get out of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Jimmyss not based on anyone as far as I know. I don't think the butcher is either.

An idea's what Nucky is planning with Ireland? Booze smuggling one way, guns from the armory smuggling the other way I'm guessing.

The shot of jimmy throwing mickey off the balcony was fantastic!

I reckon Nucky's gonna sell the guns from the armory to McGarrigle, and possibly bring some muscle over from Ireland to help deal with the "pups"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

jimmy needs to sort out his lady loving wife pronto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

its son of anarchy

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

its son of anarchy
    More likely to be done correctly - we'll probably see a Belfast more advanced than the tripe given in "Sons of Anarchy" despite the 90 years difference..

• Advertisement

ricero wrote: »
    jimmy needs to sort out his lady loving wife pronto

I'm really not getting the need for her character in the show...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I'm really not getting the need for her character in the show...

Yep. Same as last season, the story with her planning to leave for Paris with the photographers wife was a real waste of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Really enjoying this season but one of the things I don't like is there is so many real life characters in it. It makes it hard for them to spring any surprises knowing what happened to most of them in real life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I thought his wife was gonna start something with crazyface mcgee, behind jimmy's back....looks unlikely now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Yep. Same as last season, the story with her planning to leave for Paris with the photographers wife was a real waste of time.

true unless shes going to be involved within a major storyline with jimmy then she should just bugger off. i dont feel sorry for her as a character and i feel she brings little or nothing to the show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

true unless shes going to be involved within a major storyline with jimmy then she should just bugger off. i dont feel sorry for her as a character and i feel she brings little or nothing to the show

She's gorgeous though. Every show needs a looker

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It makes it hard for them to spring any surprises knowing what happened to most of them in real life.
    I don't know what happened to him nor do I want to know nor will I look it up.
    Can it be taken as a given that detailing what really happened to them is a major spoiler and shouldn't be allowed? They're obscure enough that most people won't know it as common knowledge except perhaps for Capone.

/Crosses fingers

lezzer tryst with her mother in law, lezzer tryst with her mother in law, lezzer tryst with her mother in law, lezzer tryst with her mother in law.....

She is their as an insight to Jimmy's character.
    I have to say of all the women on the show she's the one I'd do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

ixoy wrote: »
    I don't know what happened to him nor do I want to know nor will I look it up.
    Can it be taken as a given that detailing what really happened to them is a major spoiler and shouldn't be allowed? They're obscure enough that most people won't know it as common knowledge except perhaps for Capone.

Apart from Capone I don't know anything about any of the other real characters,so could be some surprises there.

tvnutz wrote: »
    Apart from Capone I don't know anything about any of the other real characters,so could be some surprises there.

since it on season 2 and this was in season 1 the stuff about Rothstein fixing the world series is true and I don't know how much they'll show about them but you should look Luciano & Meyer Lansky up, interesting people

This week's episode was a real high point for me. They did a great job of recreating Ireland. All the actors seemed very convincing. I really loved the shot of the two Black and Tans walking across the camera at the end before Nucky & Eoin take the boat back.

MacGarrigle being shot was done brilliantly. It looks like Jimmy might have his own assasination attempt to deal with before too long now. That butcher is one hard fecker!

I think overall it was a good setup episode for the next round of events. I was surprised though. I really thought Nucky was coming to Ireland to get some volunteers to work for him and build a sort of militia. I didn't think it was solely for whiskey.

It's funny, but when you see Nucky plonked in the middle of Ireland dealing with our own brand of chancers, he came across as being very sure, cagey and a very shrewd guy. I know that's obvious from the series as a whole but it seemed to emphasise it more I think. I love too that they're mirroring the Irish events as well, hence the mention of Dev going off to hold talks about a treaty.

Absolutely top notch. My favourite episode so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Goolay

Another fantastic episode.

Without a doubt my favourite show currently running.

squonk wrote: »
    They did a great job of recreating Ireland.

I disagree with this quite strongly. There was some terrible green screen work on show, it sticks out like a sore thumb. It looks like the actors were copied and pasted into the scene using MS paint! And the shot of the ships at the end of the episode was very poor.

The episode itself was fine, it was all about setting up future events than all out action. Which is fine, but almost every episode feels like that.

I did let out a "holy sh!t" with the meat cleaver moment though, that was fantastic. Was disappointed they didn't show the fight after it had featured quite a bit in previous episodes.

Getting the impression that Richard is getting fed up of Jimmy and that he may defect soon enough..

Roar wrote: »
    I disagree with this quite strongly. There was some terrible green screen work on show, it sticks out like a sore thumb. It looks like the actors were copied and pasted into the scene using MS paint! And the shot of the ships at the end of the episode was very poor.

Ah I'd allow them that. They're a network show, not a feature film and I think their budget goes mainly on the actors and writers so you can forgive them. Besides, it wasn't _that_ bad. Have you seen Ringer at all? There's CGI in the pilot for that that would make you cringe! All in all I think the CGI was acceptable and the huge vista at the end was nice anyway. I actually thought for a second that the ship was the Olympic, the Titanic's sister ship but it wasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭duiggers

Roar wrote: »
    Getting the impression that Richard is getting fed up of Jimmy and that he may defect soon enough..

Ya, think this could happen, as Richards thoughts and motives in this past few episodes suggest a breakdown in their relationship. I think Richard is getting very frustrated with how Jimmy seems to be taking his family and lifestyle for granted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

^ i've four eps. to catch up on!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭UCD2010

The show just gets better and better every week IMO. I can't believe there's only 3 episodes left... I'm going to get serious withdrawal symptoms until next SEPTEMBER! :(

I can't wait to the s**t that goes down between Horowitz and Jimmy.. Manny is one serious bad ass!

In an interview recently Jack Huston (who plays Richard) said his arc is pretty much over this season.. He only purpose now seems to be Jimmy's silent conscience in the background. I can see him abandoning Jimmy soon. Although he is a murderer, Richard still has some morals!

Not my favourite episode... mostly because of no Van Alden... but Jimmy is cool as f*ck. I wish there were more scenes with capone/lucky.

I don't get at all what you mean by Richard defecting.. who would he possibly defect to? Jimmy is definitely taking a turn to the dark side, and I think they need to keep Richard there to show he has a good heart underneath.

Best line of series so far: 'maybe... but it's not mine. '

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

UCD2010 wrote: »
    Did ye see the promo for next weeks episode?
    It looks like Manny is strangling Doyle (poor guy can't catch a break :L) and Eli is in jail!

No I didn't. You see, I personally make a point of not watching it as I don't want to know what happens next week...but thanks for sharing anyway.

^ yup, spoilers ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I can see Richard having a bit of a melt down if he finds out Jimmy's wife is having an affair. He has this picture of the Darmodys as a perfect family, Jimmy's behaviour is making him doubt this image and I think if he finds out about Angela he could completely break down.

It will be interesting to see Manny's reaction to the attempted assassination. Should certainly pose a problem to Jimmy in these next few episodes.

I think the show is doing a very good job with highlighting a lot of the different political, economic, and social issues of the time without weakening the overall story.

Didn't Angela move to San Fran with her lady friend, or am I imagining that?

one gripe i had with the episode was
    the twisting of irish history to suit the story line.
    mcgarrigle was obviously high up in the ira/irish indpendence movement in the war of independence, and was also obviously based on dev. So, while the war nears its end, and there are talks going on with the british, they diecide to kill him as he stood in their way of getting guns in & to make a bit of money on the side? I know the show so far has been good at tying in irish historical events with the timeline it has been set in, but that was being very economical so as to fit with the story.

I know dev was anti-treaty in reality as well, and i know the civil war was yet to come were they were all shooting each other....but to do so in the show before anything had been agreed, kinda blew the whole 'for the love of the country' schtick they had going for them, owen included.

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote: »
    one gripe i had with the episode was the twisting of irish history to suit the story line.
    mcgarrigle was obviously high up in the ira/irish indpendence movement in the war of independence, and was also obviously based on dev. So, while the war nears its end, and there are talks going on with the british, they diecide to kill him as he stood in their way of getting guns in & to make a bit of money on the side? I know the show so far has been good at tying in irish historical events with the timeline it has been set in, but that was being very economical so as to fit with the story.

I know dev was anti-treaty in reality as well, and i know the civil war was yet to come were they were all shooting each other....but to do so in the show before anything had been agreed, kinda blew the whole 'for the love of the country' schtick they had going for them, owen included.

He's not actually Dev though and to emphasise that fact they did mention that DeValera was heading off to England for talks. I thought previously he was more in keeping with John McGarrity who was high up in the setup in the States and accompanied Dev on his fundraising tour in the US. I think it might actually be a composite character based on both men.

Ammunition wasn't all that plentiful around the time and I'm sure the lads were interested in getting their hands on a steady supply if it was available and it was something Nucky offered. I think the shooting was necessary to progress the story and it was backed up by the fact that he was a bit of a puritanical guy and it wasn't the first time he'd rubbed up the lads the wrong way.

Advertisement