Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HBO [US] Boardwalk Empire **Spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,559 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

oo-er...should have spoilered that.
    amended

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

Also it's not a documentary, it's a historical drama. They've played around with the timeline of events in Atlantic City as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

It's based on a single chapter in a book, I wouldn't hold out for a history lesson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

That ending :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Have to admit I did not see that coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

she's not exactly a huge loss to the show

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Reckon Jimmy's going to be just a little pissed off now with Manny... I couldn't care less that she's dead (a dull character) but it will really add potential now for some great action between Philly and Atlantic City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

Fúcking effective little twist at the end there, knew she'd die, but didn't think Jimmy would have already left. Also liked the fact he was going back to Princeton.

Seemed pretty stupid sending Doyle back to Manny at all to do a deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

americans will they ever learn and lock their bleeding doors :pac:

• Advertisement

Giruilla wrote: »
    Seemed pretty stupid sending Doyle back to Manny at all to do a deal.

Id guess that they wanted rid of him, and assumed manny would kill him (which is not beyond the realms of possiblity, once he got jimmys location out of him).

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

I thought the ending saved that episode, I found it a little dull up to that point and then :eek:.
    Finally this is the catalyst for Jimmy to show his minerals as the new boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

It was a fairly weak episode until the ending. I figured Angela's girlfriend would die but was shocked by Manny killing Angela as well, thought he would spare her. Should definitely be some good reactions to this.

Only two episodes left, seems like they will have a lot to fill in for those episodes.

Yeah the episode wasn't great but the ending definitely surprised me (regardless of her character becoming insignificant). There's certainly enough story-line's going on.

I hope they conclude most of them for the season finale - the deputy will need to be taken out & Jimmy go on the warpath.

I'd say there's still some surprise to pop up with Nelson's testimony against Nucky. There wasn't any more attention paid since Nucky asked Nelson for info and finding out about the baby. Maybe Nelson retracts statements or something...or maybe not.

red dave wrote: »
    I'd say there's still some surprise to pop up with Nelson's testimony against Nucky. There wasn't any more attention paid since Nucky asked Nelson for info and finding out about the baby. Maybe Nelson retracts statements or something...or maybe not.

I thought Nelson made it clear he wasn't going to be blackmailed by Nucky by owning up to Esther about the baby straight away?

Finding all of Kelly Macdonald's scenes kind of excrutiating now.. every time I'm just wishing for her scenes to be over!

I thought Nelson made it clear he wasn't going to be blackmailed by Nucky by owning up to Esther about the baby straight away?

That's what I thought at the time also but seen as Nucky can't afford to pay bribes to judges I then thought Nelson is the only route out. It's Nelsons evidence that is key to Nucky going down. But yeah just thinking now also with the divorce request there isn't really any leverage that Nucky has on Nelson.

Finding all of Kelly Macdonald's scenes kind of excrutiating now.. every time I'm just wishing for her scenes to be over!

Yeah I'm unfortunately feeling the same :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Poor enough episode until the end. It was just dull and preachy (the margaret plot was just so so boring).

The ending sets everything up quite nicely though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,869 ✭✭✭squonk

Poor Angela. I know she didn't do much but she was an eye into some other aspects of life in Atalantic City. I really didn't expect her to be shot but there ya go!

I don't think Jimmy is coping all that well with being the head honcho now. It doesn't look like he's got the stones for it, or isn't quite ruthless or clever enough. I always reckoned his mother was the brains of the outfit and I think that's starting to show. I don't think you'd ever see Nucky or the Commodore in a position where their wives/girlfriends were taken out in a hit like Angela was.

Margaret's storyline is plodding along. It's OK. I did get a laugh out of Teddy though saying he couldn't move his legs for the craic! What a little bollox! It's why I like BE though because it's just not all about the liquour running really. You get stories like Angela's and Margaret's that are quieter and show you that there wasn't some sort of golden age going on at the time and that you're probably better off today all things considered.

I'm looking forward to next week though! Things definitely have to step up now.

Incidently, what's significant about Jimmy going back to Princeton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

squonk wrote: »

Incidently, what's significant about Jimmy going back to Princeton?

He used to go to college there before he enlisted. Probably gives him a chance to think on what might have been had he not joined up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

why was jimmy so reluctant to deal with the butcher, was it because after the he made him kill someone he didn't want to be seen doing business with him, cos it might lead to mafia charges?

• Advertisement

why was jimmy so reluctant to deal with the butcher, was it because after the he made him kill someone he didn't want to be seen doing business with him, cos it might lead to mafia charges?

Think it was because even though he'd just become boss of the city, the butcher was pestering him for a few thousand and Doyle was saying he should be afraid of him. Gotta let people where they stand!

Think it was because even though he'd just become boss of the city, the butcher was pestering him for a few thousand and Doyle was saying he should be afraid of him. Gotta let people where they stand!

hmm but he knew he was a pyscho not to be messed with, thats how he was introduced to us, a peer with his own mafia

jimmy has f'd it all up, obviously doesn't have the right kind of smarts for this unlike nucky

hmm but he knew he was a pyscho not to be messed with, thats how he was introduced to us

jimmy has f'd it all up, obviously doesn't have the right kind of smarts for this unlike nucky

Guess Jimmy just wanted to hold face and didn't like being threatened by the butcher in the first place.

It's all Owen Slaters fault really..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Guess Jimmy just wanted to hold face and didn't like being threatened by the butcher in the first place.

It's all Owen Slaters fault really..

He should have asked Richard Harrow, he gets to hold face every day, well at least half of it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

dooferoaks wrote: »
    He should have asked Richard Harrow, he gets to hold face every day, well at least half of it.

tumbleweed.gif

incest is best :pac:

also best episode yet amazing stuff.

**** just got real

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

ricero wrote: »
    incest is best :pac:

also best episode yet amazing stuff.

**** just got real

It was a great episode alright. We got to see Angela happy for once which was cool :D

I had to laugh at Doyle with his make shify office and mug of whiskey, a poor mans Nucky if ever there was one. He's a great character.

I love Van Aldens mad dash to get out of the station, can't wait to see where his character will go now. He'll definitely get into business with Doyle and try to get his money and run. Can't see it working out for him somehow :D

Richard is gonna go on a killing spree in the next episode I think, especially now that Jimmy is injured badly. Also I expected Jimmy's mom to end up with Angela, not Jimmy :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

OK, man humping his ma in Boardwalk Empire, a Prime Minister humping a pig in Black Mirror....this is a long way from Bosco.

Seriously do not want this season to end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

Stabbed the Commodore right in the heart too. They revealed so many long running things, the army, the heroin, Agent Sebso and on top of it all, incest, but in reverse sort of.
    Cannot wait for the finale. I'm guessing Manny will be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Jimmy sure does love his Mam :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Best episode of this show so far. So much happened. Really good. Margaret is wreckin my head though. Would love for Nucky just to do what he with her husband. Jimmy is one motherf*cker isn't he! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

I'm not sure if there is a different, specific Boardwalk empire thread. Anyway, sorry if there is. I just watched the latest episode of the second season (episode 11). This is a fantastic show and I'm really surprised at some of the comments about it being boring etc.

What a messed up family the Jimmy Dormandy character has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

Now that was a motherf***ing episode!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I'm not sure if there is a different, specific Boardwalk empire thread. Anyway, sorry if there is. I just watched the latest episode of the second season (episode 11). This is a fantastic show and I'm really surprised at some of the comments about it being boring etc.

What a messed up family the Jimmy Dormandy character has.

^ seriously?....there is a BIG BE thread right above this one....mods, thread cull!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

That is one ****ed up family! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

^ seriously?....there is a BIG BE thread right above this one....mods, thread cull!

Dont know how I missed that, thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Dont know how I missed that, thanks.

Since you made a nice reply, i'll apologise for being a bit douchey in my reply :)

HOOOOOOO
    LEEEEEEEEEE
    SHEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTT!!!

fantastic stuff. Jimmy's ma is a psycho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭c28omzk7ihsxv0

The episode was boring for the first half then it picked up. I didn't expect the commodores death and frankly I'm not surprised over the whole incest situation...anyone remember the showgirl scene where we were introduced to Jimmy's ma?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,869 ✭✭✭squonk

The episode was boring for the first half then it picked up. I didn't expect the commodores death and frankly I'm not surprised over the whole incest situation...anyone remember the showgirl scene where we were introduced to Jimmy's ma?

That was my take also. We knew Jimmy and his ma were a bit 'closer' than you'd expect. I actually loved the way it was handled up til now where it was implied and we all knew what was happening. Laying it all out wasn't that necessary. I thought the whole episode was largely a waste.

We knew Angela was a nice, caring lady and always was very protective of Richard. We knew Richard had a bit of a thing for Angela. We knew too that Angela hooked up with Jimmy because she was pregnant and that she was making do with the situation as it wasn't really her ideal one. Really, Angela's is a tragic tale and I certainly got that from last week's ep. The impression I got was that the writers were more or less hammering home too things... 'You do know Anglea is a tragic character, right?' and 'You do know Jimmy & his Ma are a bit more than mother and son eh?'.

I suppose the heroin was something new and explains Jimmy ignoring the efforts to distribute cocaine. Maybe it's setting him up to become a user/distributor?

Killing the commodore, I didn't see coming and that was interesting. Also, Nucky's current predicament is interesting and how he's trying to get out of it. Also, Van Alden was great. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens there.

Someone please bump off Margaret. She's gone insane and her persecution complex isn't that interesting at all. I have to say, Nucky's no saint but he's level headed and certainly deserves better right now than the crap he's getting from her. If I was him I'd let her go. If he hands money over to her she'll donate it all to the church and he'll have nothing anyway. She's a dope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

That was sexy

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Which was the first time they saw each other after sexing right? He joined the army right afterwards and came back from the war and she was all over him. Has she no shame?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Richard's gonna go bat**** crazy next episode! Well, hopefully anyway. Gillian's comment to him was very hurtful.

This was the best episode of the season by a mile, the only one that had me gripped from nearly start to finish (Margaret scenes aside).

Looking forward to seeing how it all wraps up next week.

its finally revealed that jimmy's mother basically ruined his life. it was her fault his marriage was a failure, he got kicked out of university, joined the army and turned to a life of crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

ricero wrote: »
    its finally revealed that jimmy's mother basically ruined his life. it was her fault his marriage was a failure, he got kicked out of university, joined the army and turned to a life of crime.

Well he could have not joined the army or not punched his teacher in the face. Actually scratch all that, he could have just not boned his mother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

His mother is (easily) the hottest woman in the entire show.

Lucky him :P

was that the first time? im not sure it was, or had just _slept_ together previously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

It was interesting that up until now, Jimmy wasn't a particularly likeable character for a number of reasons but this episode provides some insight to why he is the way he his and thus we can sympathise with him.

I kinda get the feeling that by now portraying him as a sympathetic character, that he's in for a big fall. I have a strong feeling that he won't survive the season to be honest.

It was interesting that up until now, Jimmy wasn't a particularly likeable character for a number of reasons but this episode provides some insight to why he is the way he his and thus we can sympathise with him.

I kinda get the feeling that by now portraying him as a sympathetic character, that he's in for a big fall. I have a strong feeling that he won't survive the season to be honest.

Richards gonna take him out, then him & van alden are going to combine and form the crazyface mcgee/soldiers of god crime syndicate which will rule atlantic city with an iron fist, but spreading the good word of jesus.

• Advertisement
Advertisement