Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HBO [US] Boardwalk Empire **Spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Sucks about Jimmy... had a feeling that would happen though. To be honest I don't even like Nucky, would be far happier to have seen him get killed off and Jimmy become main character! Just hope either Van Alden or Richard has a way larger role next series, otherwise I'm not seeing a lot of reasons to tune back in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I fast forward every scene that has Kelly McDonald in it and the show is so much better. Honestly one of the most unlikable characters in the history of television.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭squonk

That was a great finale! Poor Jimmy! I liked his character more than I realised and was sorry to see him go. It made sense though as it could be seen for the past while that he aspired to be in the premier league with Nucky/Capone etc. but when the opportunity came, he was found wanting. It was only a matter of time.

In the end, he did get Nucky off the hook and so it was sad to see how things went down after that. If what Nucky told Margaret was true, then then should have been grateful to Jimmy for making his problems go away. Of course, he mightn't have known exactly what happened but I'm sure he's smart enough to have figured it out. The way I saw it, seeing as Nucky survived the assassination attempt, what Jimmy did made up for it. I think that made his death at the hands of Nucky seem sadder.

I did think the hit was going to be on Manny so I don't understand the call where Nucky asked for opinions on the death of Manny?

Margaret needs to go! Full stop! I think she might too. I can't decide. Either Nucky is very coniving, based on what he told Margaret to give her a reason to marry him, or it was an insight into his character, followed by another insight into just how ruthless he can be regarding Jimmy, but based on that, it's hard to like him right now and I really think that if push comes to shove, he'd get rid of Margaret if needs be. She's in a world of **** now anyway after that stupid, stupid move at the end of the episode. What a dumb bitch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

just a point, anyone notice the dreadful ADR in some of the Margaret scenes? I'm thinking particularly of the scene where she tells nucky she'll marry him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I fast forward every scene that has Kelly McDonald in it and the show is so much better. Honestly one of the most unlikable characters in the history of television.
    she used up any likeability she had leftover from trainspotting long ago, she really is a horrible character.

i didn't think nucky was going to go through with it to start with, but when you look at how everything happened, Jimmy knew how it was going to go down before he even got the call from Nucky, right back as far as their day at the beach etc.

he had already given his dog tags to his son earlier in the day and didn't have his knife on him, despite never ever going anywhere without it (as we've seen several times in the show already) and told richard to stay home because this was something he had to do himself.

i'd imagine richard thought it was going to be jimmy killing manny, but jimmy obviously knew different, as if he thought he'd be killing manny there's no way he would have left his knife at home as he'd want to be going to town on him and making him suffer.

i'm surprised jimmy's mum didn't put up more of a fight though, given that she obviously knew what was going to happen to jimmy once she saw the dog tags and then said to her grandson that he would be a great man one day, just like his father.

overall, i thought it was a great ending to the season and leaves things wide open for season 3. :)

Roar wrote: »
    just a point, anyone notice the dreadful ADR in some of the Margaret scenes? I'm thinking particularly of the scene where she tells nucky she'll marry him

Yeah I def noticed that too. Actually thought it was a dream sequence at first because of the wierd dubbing. Her accent was probably more shít than usual and they had to take it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

BOOM! Headshot.

Well that sucked, but I must say I was literally sitting in the edge of the couch during the ‘showdown’ and regardless of the fact that the best character has been dispatched I cant remember being that glued to a show since The Sopranos (Tonys showdown with Chris to be specific).

As soon as Eli appeared out of the darkness I got that sinking feeling, I instantly began to try run a realistic scenario through my head that would see Jimmy survive the day. I was hoping that Richard had defied his order, followed Jimmy and had his rile aimed at Nuckys temple.

When the showdown began, I had a strong feeling that Jimmy was going to get it, earlier in the episode Margret asked Nucky ”What about Eli?” to which Nucky replied “Blood is thicker then water”. So if you take that as Nuckys mantra, when he says “I have a decision to make” after speaking to Eli I was pretty positive on which side his alliances would fall.

I’m pretty impressed that the season ended without having to resort to the ‘Blackout’ style cliff hanger and actually gave the audience alot more to think about in terms of where the show is going rather then having to tune in just to see how one scene pans out.

Great TV is alive and well (although rare)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Paleface

Loved the final episode. Tim Van Patten is a genius director. The montage of the wedding scene was fantastic as was the finale by the war memorial and then the flashback to Jimmy in the trenches.

However I can't understand people saying that Jimmy was their favourite character. Michael Pitt is a woeful actor and I'm glad he's out of the way so the likes of Al Capone and Lucky Luciano can have more screen time. Both actors have their parts nailed and I can see the whole heroin running operation with Rothstein get very nasty in Season 3.

Also there will probably be a new character introduced seeing as Jimmy, The Commodore and Angela are all gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Couldn't help but think of the last episode of Blackadder with the WW1 flashback

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

A fantastic piece of story-telling television, with a great cast and some terrific (i.e. not margaret) acting, 3rd in the ratings to some show about a crowd of slags who are famous for being daughters to a lawyer who was in the news 20 years, and a crowd of slags who are basically just a crowd of slags.

i weep for the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

The scene where esther is going thru her court delivery in her room and jimmy and richard take out the new treasurer was brilliantly done.
    Great episode and finish to the season.
    Like others disappointed jimmy is gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I was fully convinced right up until the last moment that Nucky would swing around and shoot Manny :eek:

Can't wait for next season, I reckon within 2 episodes everyone will be like Jimmy who!?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I can't believe it, probably one of the best characters on television gone. The only thing to look forward to next season is Richard getting his revenge, but they can hardly devote a whole season to that.

I genuinely think they made a mistake doing this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

**** me

I can't believe it, probably one of the best characters on television gone. The only thing to look forward to next season is Richard getting his revenge, but they can hardly devote a whole season to that.

Feel completely the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

That was a fantastic episode.....Tim Van Patton's direction is brilliant with any episodes he directs!!

I really hope there'll be a focus on Al Capone's rise to power next season!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Really? I didn't even think he was one of the best characters on this show...

He was growing on me throughout Season 2 in fairness but thought Michael Pitt was totally miscast in the role in the first place. Whenever he brutally murdered someone, I just couldn't believe pretty boy or his persona was capable. Sure, the WW1 experience obviously helped, but I never totally bought it...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

Richard seemed sort of resigned to the fact when Jimmy left him, I dunno if Revenge will be what he's after. Plus, I saw in an interview with the creator that next season might jump a year forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

i saw that too...theyre gonna go forward a year, supposedly nucky is gonna have his hands real dirty.
    van alden is going to be a big part of it too, seeing as he moved to cicero, illinois; which, if you know your al capone history......

And did he marry the babysitter? Or kidnap her? I missed something there

retalivity wrote: »
    i saw that too...theyre gonna go forward a year, supposedly nucky is gonna have his hands real dirty.
    van alden is going to be a big part of it too, seeing as he moved to cicero, illinois; which, if you know your al capone history......

And did he marry the babysitter? Or kidnap her? I missed something there

I didn't think it was either. I assumed she moved with him as he was her employer and, perhaps she wanted to. Mind you, I think it was heading toward them fiddling with each other's wobbly bits so who knows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

squonk wrote: »
    Mind you, I think it was heading toward them fiddling with each other's wobbly bits so who knows!
    you old romantic! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

What an ending!

I think the thing i like most about this ending is that they killed two characters in that one scene. Jimmy literally and Nucky in every other way. The entire series has seen him as an ambiguous character but shrewd above all else. Self serving of course but bloodthirsty never seemed to be part of his character. Killing Jimmy was unnecessary and tbh unforgivable from a viewer point of view. He'll always be ruthless now, the dynamic of the show will shift completely.

As others said the series would be very stretched if it were merely about Richard Harrow getting revenge but i cant wait to see what role hes going to play in the next series. I only hope he isnt going to be just phased out now that Jimmys entire side of the story is gone. Im also looking forward to Van Alden, i knew from the moment he ran that he was going to be a major player. Hes been steadily going more and more to the dark side, he has no choice but to go criminal now and he was always quite a unflinching character so it should be interesting seeing who he locks horns with.

Gah so many questions. My one disappointment is if Nucky could pull the trigger on Jimmy of all people why did he not just kill Manny while he was at it. Tie up loose ends and right a wrong while he was at it. His letting Manny just get back into the car only makes that whole scene even more of a betrayal (Does he need Manny for a reason ive missed?).

Anyways apologies for the stream of consciousness. Just finished watching the ep and had to talk about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

Imagine if Richard Harrow never resurfaced and this show went on to make several season and in the very last episode, he returns and kills Nucky. How much of a kick in the balls would that be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Does he need Manny for a reason ive issed?

Well Nucky can't personally control Philadelphia, since that's well outside his sphere of influence. Manny is a rival to Waxey Gordon in Philadelphia. Nucky was apparently thinking through different alternatives and decided for some reason it was in his interest to back Manny over Waxey to control Philadelphia. Maybe the tactic has something to do with Arnold Rothstein. Unless I've missed something, I don't think we're meant to understand exactly what is on his mind yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

brilliant ending to the best series on tv atm,god only knows what next season will bring but i see nucky losing his top over margaret signing over the deeds to the land and getting slater to bump her off.
    great show...love the fact that no character is safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

telekon wrote: »
    Really? I didn't even think he was one of the best characters on this show...

He was growing on me throughout Season 2 in fairness but thought Michael Pitt was totally miscast in the role in the first place. Whenever he brutally murdered someone, I just couldn't believe pretty boy or his persona was capable. Sure, the WW1 experience obviously helped, but I never totally bought it...:(

yeah but imagine if Keith Duffy managed to get the part though

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭gimme5minutes

Gah so many questions. My one disappointment is if Nucky could pull the trigger on Jimmy of all people why did he not just kill Manny while he was at it. Tie up loose ends and right a wrong while he was at it. His letting Manny just get back into the car only makes that whole scene even more of a betrayal (Does he need Manny for a reason ive missed?).

Anyways apologies for the stream of consciousness. Just finished watching the ep and had to talk about it.

Why would he pull the trigger on Manny, he has no beef with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Why would he pull the trigger on Manny, he has no beef with him.

No I suppose not but then again Nucky is the kind of character that doesnt like loose ends at the best of times let alone when hes actually been seen doing the shooting himself and the only people there were two guys he probably trusts at this stage and this outsider. So in answer to your question youre right, he has no beef with him but he probably doesnt give two ****s about him either so im surprised he didnt just wrap up the whole business there and then.

You are right though. He didnt shoot Manny because there was probably no reason to, I was merely still reeling from the finale and clutching at anything to show that Nucky wasnt completely stone cold. As i said in my previous post there is going to be a compete shift in dynamic in how Nucky is shown from now on I think, because theres really no coming back from what hes done this series.

If he decided to let Jimmy live he would have had to kill Manny. As it is, since he decided to kill Jimmy, by letting Manny enjoy the killing he has made an ally out of him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

No I suppose not but then again Nucky is the kind of character that doesnt like loose ends at the best of times let alone when hes actually been seen doing the shooting himself and the only people there were two guys he probably trusts at this stage and this outsider. So in answer to your question youre right, he has no beef with him but he probably doesnt give two ****s about him either so im surprised he didnt just wrap up the whole business there and then.

You are right though. He didnt shoot Manny because there was probably no reason to, I was merely still reeling from the finale and clutching at anything to show that Nucky wasnt completely stone cold. As i said in my previous post there is going to be a compete shift in dynamic in how Nucky is shown from now on I think, because theres really no coming back from what hes done this series.

I thought it has always been clear that nucky was a stone cold bastard who just hides it well behind his charming exterior. Thats why I always love it when he shows his teeth like this week and last week when he warned margaret not to rat him out.
    But the fact that Eli was still alive shows that he does have values along the lines of " blood is thicker than water"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

nucky hasn't been that stone cold recently its was everyone else around him doing the killing, the ira guy, the sheriff, jimmy

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

Wow.. Didn't expect that ending. Once he left Richard at home, i knew he was done. Eli still being in it is a sickener for me. I personally loathe the man.
    Margaret is a gonner. She cannot last too long more after that stunt. She is a bit mad in the head anyway, she will be no loss.
    On the land deal, Nucky was celebrating with the other lads. Did they all have a stake in the land deal together, or did they all have their own patch and margaret gave away Nuckys patch only, or is the whole lot gone??
    Poor old Jimmy, he was trying to live up to a reputation that he was never able to fulfil. The mother had him believing it was all his, but he just wasn't able for it. And i feel sorry for his young lad, being brought up by that crazy b****.
    But other than that, a great ending and i can't wait to see where they go next from here.

Did they all have a stake in the land deal together, or did they all have their own patch and margaret gave away Nuckys patch only, or is the whole lot gone??

I think he said that what he was giving Margaret was Nucky's voting stock. So they must have invested in a large plot of land jointly as a company or a trust, with each owning shares in the investment.

Anachrony wrote: »
    I think he said that what he was giving Margaret was Nucky's voting stock. So they must have invested in a large plot of land jointly as a company or a trust, with each owning shares in the investment.

That makes it even worse! I had assumed that the land was a piece Nucky had bought and that the other guys had bough similar plots. Once the church has it, they're liable to do something else with it, or certainly maybe not facilitate gangsters. I don't see them playing ball in other words. This could cause things to get very hot for nucky and most likely the end for Margaret. Nucky mightn't even have a say in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

**** me what an ending.
    cant believe they killed jimmy, cant understand why, he was an unbelievable character.
    it'll take them another whole series just to build up another adequate nemesis for nucky.
    great ending, cant believe it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

horsemeat wrote: »
    **** me what an ending.
    cant believe they killed jimmy, cant understand why, he was an unbelievable character.
    it'll take them another whole series just to build up another adequate nemesis for nucky.
    great ending, cant believe it

I think Nucky will have enough problems with the rising power of Lucky / Meyer and Capone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

I think Nucky will have enough problems with the rising power of Lucky / Meyer and Capone.

Ya but none of these have the history jimmy and nuck had also jimmy seemed to have a Conscience which made him more entertaining unlike those goons.

That makes it even worse! I had assumed that the land was a piece Nucky had bought and that the other guys had bough similar plots. Once the church has it, they're liable to do something else with it, or certainly maybe not facilitate gangsters. I don't see them playing ball in other words. This could cause things to get very hot for nucky and most likely the end for Margaret. Nucky mightn't even have a say in it.

She just donated the deeds to nuckys share of the land. the road deal will still go through only nuckys share will now go to the church.

Margaret has still a long way to go in the show and is an unbelievably good character. she may have screwed nucky but where would he be with out her.

best season finale ive seen in a long time.

I have two questions tho..

Am I right in thinking Jimmy knew Nucky was gonna cross him and just went there to die?

And are we now looking forward to Nuckys demise, I know i was pretty pleased when mags signed over the land to the church even tho I really dont like that priest character.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Am I right in thinking Jimmy knew Nucky was gonna cross him and just went there to die?

Pretty much
    He went unarmed and it seemed clear he knew it was the end for him
    And are we now looking forward to Nuckys demise, I know i was pretty pleased when mags signed over the land to the church even tho I really dont like that priest character.

Margaret is a main character but if she was anything else she'd be shot for that stunt.

Nucky will bounce back, he's not one to lay down and just take it

Once the church has it, they're liable to do something else with it, or certainly maybe not facilitate gangsters. I don't see them playing ball in other words.

They're probably minority shareholders though, which means they can't obstruct the rest of them as long as the rest of them all vote differently. Most likely they'll just collect on dividends that should have gone to Nucky, but Nucky's partners may not be thrilled to have them involved anyway.

Margaret is a main character but if she was anything else she'd be shot for that stunt.

Nucky will bounce back, he's not one to lay down and just take it

Nucky is a callous motherxxer but i doubt he would ever stoop so low as to kill his wife.

No doubt Nucky will bounce back but do you think we will be rooting for him like in the first two seasons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The priest was very open to taking big donations from Margaret

Ok there is nothing wrong with this.

But if there's money to made I'm guessing the priest can be just as greedy as the other partners in the roads plan
    I think the priest will get a good amount of screen-time next season,

Anachrony wrote: »
    They're probably minority shareholders though, which means they can't obstruct the rest of them as long as the rest of them all vote differently. Most likely they'll just collect on dividends that should have gone to Nucky, but Nucky's partners may not be thrilled to have them involved anyway.

I dont think the churchs involvement will inconvenience any of the partners, if anything they will find nuckys predicament hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

feel sorry for jimmy's son as if i remember correctly jimmy's fathers will left all his money to the black maid that tried to kill him. i say jimmy's ma and half a face Richard will end up raising the kid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

They threw that will in the fire, nothing came of that, Jimmy got everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Thargor wrote: »
    They threw that will in the fire, nothing came of that, Jimmy got everything.

cheers i didnt know that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I'd be pretty sure the Nucky will get Margaret's singing of the deeds over to her church overturned in court.

With a sick child, it would be fairly easily for her husband to prove in court that she wasn't of sound mind.

Back then an individual could be committed to an insane asylum on their spouses say-so.

Advertisement