Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HBO [US] Boardwalk Empire **Spoilers**

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

not sure nucky would want to go back to a court and bring more attention to himself.. locally/nationally or even legally

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

^ he'll give Maggie two bullets to the face!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Why is she a trainwreck? I loved her character and she was so sexy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Thargor wrote: »
    Why is she a trainwreck? I loved her character and she was so sexy.

I think the actress was a bit of a mess,in trouble a lot with the law etc.

Personally I found her very annoying,especially the way she talked.

• Advertisement

More cast added for season 3: http://www.digitalspy.ie/ustv/s156/boardwalk-empire/news/a370739/boardwalk-empire-casts-arron-shiver-meg-steedle-for-season-three.html

Boardwalk Empire
    Episode 3.03

A potentially recurring role is a priest called Father Schuck, who is a German American.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

"New year, new rules."

Trailer for Season 3.

We've moved onto 1923 now. Autumn can't come quick enough.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

You now have me wishing for the summer to end. Well, if you can call this a summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,616 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Source

Boardwalk Empire will kick off its third season on Sunday September 16th at 9pm on HBO.
    The new season will pick up 15 months after the murder of Jimmy Darmody on season two.
    Last month, creator Terence Winter reveal he wants Boardwalk Empire to run for six seasons but will "take it one season at a time".

Here's a first look at Gyp Rosetti, the new guy who's out to challenge Nucky. He's almost as well dressed as him. Looking forward to the start of the season.

555497_457315060966245_1037259031_n.jpg

EDIT: Didn't realise that they were also in the link just above. I'm gonna leave the post here in the hope that I get a few thanks.

a_560x0_FULL.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I don't know... I just don't know. While it could be absolutely brilliant, I feel they should have left it at 2 seasons. The stories were so brilliant and intricate, and most have seemingly come to a conclusion that satisfied everything. Boardwalk Empire was/is one of the greatest television programmes ever made; right up there with The Sopranos and The Wire.

But (and I sincerely hope I'm going to be proven wrong about this), I think that perhaps this could be too much of a good thing. I really hope they can maintain the high standard they set for the first 2 seasons, but I have a niggly, pessimistic feeling that the 3rd Season could be a bit disappointing. Don't ask me why! It's just a horrible hunch I have...:(

DazMarz wrote: »
    I don't know... I just don't know. While it could be absolutely brilliant, I feel they should have left it at 2 seasons. The stories were so brilliant and intricate, and most have seemingly come to a conclusion that satisfied everything. Boardwalk Empire was/is one of the greatest television programmes ever made; right up there with The Sopranos and The Wire.

But (and I sincerely hope I'm going to be proven wrong about this), I think that perhaps this could be too much of a good thing. I really hope they can maintain the high standard they set for the first 2 seasons, but I have a niggly, pessimistic feeling that the 3rd Season could be a bit disappointing. Don't ask me why! It's just a horrible hunch I have...:(

I think it'll be great.

As long as Agent Van Alden is a main part of it all then it'll be brilliant. In many ways he's nearly the best character in it for me. The straight-laced cop who has gone on the run from the law. Really hope he's in it a lot but this trailer is worrying me a little.

Stephen Graham better be in it a good bit as well. After Jimmy's death I hope Al gets a bump up and features more. Graham is such a great actor and his portrayal of Capone is so good that it'd be a real waste of his talents to have him in the background.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I can see van alden taking a back seat for this season but returning with a vengeance in later seasons.

I sure hope they have a plan for this show. I'm not asking for babylon 5 levels of preperation but a rough draft of where each character is going and how the story will work out. As great a show as it is I would much rather know it will end and that the end is already being thought about.

I can see van alden taking a back seat for this season but returning with a vengeance in later seasons.

I sure hope they have a plan for this show. I'm not asking for babylon 5 levels of preperation but a rough draft of where each character is going and how the story will work out. As great a show as it is I would much rather know it will end and that the end is already being thought about.

Babylon 5's ending was planned....... :eek:

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

Back TONIGHT in US! :D

Oh my God that looks amazing, so glad everyone is back for this series especially Richard, no Jimmy and the wife will be an improvement, hope we see more of the black guys running their businesses this season aswell.

3x01......out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

The Chicago mob wars that ultimately lead to the rise of Capone are beginning. And on a local note - agent Van Alden appears about to cross to the dark side in a paid capacity. My Breaking Bad withdrawal symptoms are easing already.
    Nucky's wife is still annoying me - seems to be annoying him too. If I wanted hospital consultants I'd have read the paper.

Oh, and that's it for me being a good samaritan to roadside breakdowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I loved that first episode. It really sets up the 3rd season, and with the Chicago mob wars, Richard going all crazy on Jimmy and Angie's killers, and the rivalry between Nucky, Rothstein, Luciano etc and the new guy Rosetti, the 3rd season could actually be better than the first two seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

It was a very good first ep. I am missing Jimmy tho he was a very good character with the exception of Richard and V|an Alden prob the most complex in the show. I not sure if Richard will go after Nucky, Jimmy was fair game put Jimmys wife crossed the line.
    Cant believe Nucky and Mags are just keepin up appearances after she crossed him, Eoin is definitely gonna get some more action from Mags if Nucky keeps stayin away.

Great to see my two favourite characters, Val Alden and Al, getting decent air time in that episode.

Al's storyline is setting up to be something pretty spectacular I think. Stephen Graham is such an amazing actor. I remember seeing him in Snatch a few years back ("I ****ing hate pikeys"). No way would you think that they were both the same actor. And then Graham himself has a proper Scouse accent so that makes it even more incredible. Whoever is giving him dialect lessons deserves an Emmy.

Michael Shannon steals every scene that he's in for me though. The one with him in the apartment talking to himself in the mirror was a strange one. He made me feel like I should be sorry for him and then I remembered that he got himself into this whole mess by killing his partner. Shannon played it to perfection.

I'm kinda hoping that he takes up O'Banion's offer and looks for a job. Whether that takes him into the crime world or if it's a legitimate job I don't know.

Then the two lads came together for what I think was the best scene in the episode, the one in the flower shop. As O'Banion said Van Alden has a brilliant poker face.

Line of the night goes to Nucky: "she should spread her legs and let her husband be the one to spread his wings".

Worst line of the night was O'Banion's attempt at saying 'sláinte'. Hope he doesn't try using too many more Irish phrases.

Such a sexist thing to say. He'd have his balls chopped off today, but I suppose it was a common thought back then.

Where was Chalky? Hope he doesn't stay out of the picture for too long. Not sure how much of a role he'll have though. There's already enough gangsters in the series to make two shows out of it.

Wonder also what the future holds for Richard? I thought the new girl that Gillian introduced had a bit of a look at him. Maybe I was just seeing things though. He clearly still has strong feelings for Jimmy's wife. That shooting at the end was beautiful.

Wish I had these episodes lined up. It'll be a long wait until next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Gyp, what a fu+king character!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Can't believe they killed off Manny :(

This new Gyp guy seems likely to be a barrel of laughs. Still off to a good start, looking forward to the rest of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I really enjoyed this episode - a catch up episode that still introduced new characters and moved everything along at a cracking pace.

I'm hoping that the first two seasons of "meh" (I really thought it was incredibly dull in parts) will result in a cracking third season. And now that it seems Nucky has a legitimate threat in Rosetti (he was brilliant in this episode) we might finally get some tension in the show, something it's lacked in the first two seasons IMO. It's good that he'll have a proper enemy to face off against.

Nucky's killing of the thief at the start was quite badass. Although not quite as badass as Richard shooting Manny's head off with a shotgun from 4 feet away - BOOM! My missus called it that he was going to die, and it was pretty obvious - the scene with him and his wife drinking champagne and then her giving him the hat, along with him fixing himself in the mirror, that was a real "goodbye" scene.

I'm more optimistic about season 3 after the opening episode I have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Gyp dishing out the insults at the party was priceless. He's a volatile son of a bitch.

tumblr_mahp94XZO51qgylido1_r1_500.gif
    tumblr_mahp94XZO51qgylido2_r1_500.gif
    tumblr_mahp94XZO51qgylido3_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Have to admit, he does look like a creepy dentist with ether! Best scene of the episode is him insulting the whole table, surprised he walked out of there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Loved the first season of Boardwalk Empire, but found the second one hard going at times. Too much talky exposition from characters I wasn't very engaged with.

For me, it was a cracking start to season three. Plenty of plot movement and ketchup, although I agree with Antar that it was a shame they topped Manny, who was one of my favourite characters. It really set up the rest of the season and I'm liking the livelier pace and the introduction of Bobby Canavale as Gyp Rosetti. Looking forward to the rest of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Loving it more every episode. The show made such an accomplished start that it almost felt like a second or third season show to begin with. Now it's got this far the decision to cap the Jimmy arc looks like a brilliant move, it's at the centre of all most all the directions the plot is going in now and it's changed so many of the characters in direct and in-direct ways.

Great twist to have Richard delivering some measure of revenge for Jimmy's death, his character now has a chance to really flourish.

Syferus wrote: »
    Great twist to have Richard delivering some measure of revenge for Jimmy's death, his character now has a chance to really flourish.

I thought that was more about avenging Angela's death than Jimmy's. Manny killed Angela, not Jimmy.

His show down with Nucky might be some time away yet.

Also, I'm not sure if his loyalty for Jimmy was as strong as his feelings were for Angela. We saw him trying to explain to the kid that Gillian wasn't actually his mother. It must really hurt him that the kid may grow up and never know his real mother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

I thought that was more about avenging Angela's death than Jimmy's. Manny killed Angela, not Jimmy.

His show down with Nucky might be some time away yet.

Also, I'm not sure if his loyalty for Jimmy was as strong as his feelings were for Angela. We saw him trying to explain to the kid that Gillian wasn't actually his mother. It must really hurt him that the kid may grow up and never know his real mother.

Well yes, that'd be the main reason but her death essentially killed Jimmy too. I think Jimmy was a geuniely close friend of Richard's as well and he's clearly followed through on Jimmy's plea not to give up, at least not yet. He cared for both of them in different ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Maybe the hyperbole will wear off with time, but I thought Nucky's first scene (with the thief) was one of the best acted scenes I've seen on TV. Buscemi just owned the screen. Impossible to watch that scene and not think, "Man, Boardwalk Empire is BACK!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

leggo wrote: »
    Maybe the hyperbole will wear off with time, but I thought Nucky's first scene (with the thief) was one of the best acted scenes I've seen on TV. Buscemi just owned the screen. Impossible to watch that seen and not think, "Man, Boardwalk Empire is BACK!"

Agreed, I actually remembered to make sure and have a warm breakfast this morning.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Really enjoyed the first episode to Series 3.Some brilliant moments.The scene with Gyp losing the rag with everyone else is excellent.Hopefully the series continues to entertain as i found parts of series 2 to be too slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Worst line of the night was O'Banion's attempt at saying 'sláinte'. Hope he doesn't try using too many more Irish phrases.

I dunno, it makes sense given how far removed he'd be from his Irish heritage. He's no more Irish than Capone is Italian. Thought it was a great scene actually, "Salut" (sp?) and "slainte" perfectly articulating the tension between them before they've even start talking with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭michaelduignan

Thought it was an excellent episode. It absolutely flew! Did Richard kill that guy in the car outside Manny's house too? I couldn't really see or not if there was blood trickling down his cheek.

Anyone else spot the guy from Die Hard with a Vengeance playing the doctor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

im happy that Manny was killed i despised the character

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Remus

Remus is an interesting character but wiki doesnt mention him referring to himself in the third person all the time, its seriously annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭irishcsifan

Anyone know when this is back on sky atlantic?

Anyone know when this is back on sky atlantic?

jaysus...shouldn't you be more gagging more for csi season 13..... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Thargor wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Remus

Remus is an interesting character but wiki doesnt mention him referring to himself in the third person all the time, its seriously annoying.

Red Dave thinks tv would be very boring if it was all based on wiki information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I just don't read up on any of the characters since I'm not familiar with many of the people so reading anything would be the same as reading spoilers.
    Like was reading a review where they mentioned that one of the guys historically doesn't die until 2 years later. In a show like this, that just removes any suspense when that person is onscreen.

The same with other shows based on historical figures, such as Spartacus. All I know about that history is the ending of the movie.

• Advertisement
Advertisement