Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HBO [US] Boardwalk Empire **Spoilers**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

At the same time though the fates of some of these characters is approached as a foregone conclusion. What actually happens isn't really that important, but how it happens. In any case the more engaging characters in Boardwalk are the fictional ones like Van Alden. At least that's what I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Somebody is in for a very unpleasant surprise with that "safety" razor. I think... or am I barking up the wrong tree ?
    As for the reality of the characters, Rothstein, Capone, Lucky Luciano and when he inevitably reappears Meyer Lansky are very real and any fictional demise for them is out of the question. A quick google will tell you who lives and dies and when and how.
    As an above poster said though, the interesting characters are mainly lower rung / fictional and can die at any moment.
    Still, moving along nicely.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Episodes without Richard Harrow also make me struggle to hold my interest - hopefully he will return to the fore next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

I thought episdoe 2 was pretty boring, hopefully we get to see more action in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Quote of the week because it's what I'm sure many are wondering:
    Eli to Mickey "How the f*ck are you still alive?"

And the probie who got the money from him looked like he belongs in a Bugsy Malone remake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ya that was a funny cuz its true line! Hope harrow goes after everyone, would make an interesting side story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

Thargor wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Remus

Remus is an interesting character but wiki doesnt mention him referring to himself in the third person all the time, its seriously annoying.

Here is a link to a newspaper from 1927 that says he frequently referred to himself in the third person. The writers have done more historical research on their subjects than you can get from Wikipedia.
    He frequently speaks in the third person, as:
    "When George Remus sold liquor he sold good liquor... George Remus always kept his word."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I enjoyed it. Mickey Doyle's laugh is just brilliant. I'd watch a whole episode of him just laughing at different things.

Great to see Chalky back, and on top form as well. His line at the end, "am I interesting now?", was pretty shocking and as truthful a line as I've heard uttered on the show in a long time. It's good to see him not trying to build up the gangster lifestyle to be one of glamour and no consequences.

It also helps that it's Michael K Williams playing the role. He plays it to perfection.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Richard. What will Nucky do once he finds out? And you just know he will.

I think it's brilliant really that they were able to leave out 3/4 of the main characters (Richard, Lucky, Al and Van Alden) and that they had another 5/6 characters to form the episode around. It helps to ensure that each episode stays fresh and you have to really be on your toes to remember who is who and what their connection to Nucky is.

Of course it means that we see less of Richard, Al and Van Alden but as long as they steal their scenes when they do appear then I don't think I can be too picky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I enjoyed it. Mickey Doyle's laugh is just brilliant. I'd watch a whole episode of him just laughing at different things.

Great to see Chalky back, and on top form as well. His line at the end, "am I interesting now?", was pretty shocking and as truthful a line as I've heard uttered on the show in a long time. It's good to see him not trying to build up the gangster lifestyle to be one of glamour and no consequences.

It also helps that it's Michael K Williams playing the role. He plays it to perfection.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Richard. What will Nucky do once he finds out? And you just know he will.

I think it's brilliant really that they were able to leave out 3/4 of the main characters (Richard, Lucky, Al and Van Alden) and that they had another 5/6 characters to form the episode around. It helps to ensure that each episode stays fresh and you have to really be on your toes to remember who is who and what their connection to Nucky is.

Of course it means that we see less of Richard, Al and Van Alden but as long as they steal their scenes when they do appear then I don't think I can be too picky.
    Pretty much agree with all the above. Chalky's return was excellent, great scenes with the daughter and the son-in-law. Micky and Eli's dialogue was good too. I've really enjoyed the first two episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

Anyone know when this is back on sky atlantic?

this saturday thank f*ck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,616 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Season 3 starts Saturday 29th of September at 9pm on Sky Atlantic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thought it was an alright episode, did Nuckie sabotage that razor so it will cut the next person that uses it or was he just seeing if it had been used recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Pretty much agree with all the above. Chalky's return was excellent, great scenes with the daughter and the son-in-law. Micky and Eli's dialogue was good too. I've really enjoyed the first two episodes.

Anyone think Chalky could have set the knife scene up?To make sure the daughter forgets about any notions she had about gangsters and settle down with the doctor.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I got the impression that Nucky was looking at the razor cause he knew someone else had used it and it was getting jealous about the showgirl having other "gentlemen callers".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Pretty solid episode all round.

The scene were Val Alden walks into the flower shop right before
    Al was about to clip what his name
    was the highlight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Clareman wrote: »
    I got the impression that Nucky was looking at the razor cause he knew someone else had used it and it was getting jealous about the showgirl having other "gentlemen callers".

Probably the theory that makes most sense.

At one stage I honestly thought he was gonna stab her in the neck with it :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Did anyone else think it felt odd that there was literally zero backlash of any kind with regard to Jimmy?

On the one hand I suppose it sends a very clear message about how cut-throat that world is, and that your allies will quickly fall in line with whoever is in charge. But, at the same time, I was a bit irritated by the lack of any mention or scene that dealt with it.

EDIT: Wow! My Bad. That was fcuking awesome! That'll teach me for writing a post before the episode is finished!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

I feel sorry for the man with the war-wound to his face. He has lost his best friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭MeIsGod

I feel sorry for the man with the war-wound to his face. He has lost his best friend.
    +1 some people have no luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Advertisement

I was fully sure mickey was gonna get it, brilliant scenes with him and harrow.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Mr E wrote: »
    Buona fortuna for the show and its fans! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

what was the significance of van aldens scene in the speak easy ? was it a turning point in his life ? perhaps he finally realized how corrupt the bureau was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I was fully sure mickey was gonna get it, brilliant scenes with him and harrow.

Fantastic scene, one of my favourites of the entire series.

I can see Richard eventually crossing over to Nucky's side, no way will he fight Gillian and the Sicilian's war.

Fantastic scene, one of my favourites of the entire series.

I can see Richard eventually crossing over to Nucky's side, no way will he fight Gillian and the Sicilian's war.

Yeah, the whole "Jimmy was a soldier, he fought, he lost" Excellent line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

bone for tuna Haha. that Sicilian gonna get got! great actor than man. really makes you hate him.

Booby Cannavale who plays Gyp has Nurse Jackie duties - so he possibly won't be around for much longer. He appears to be a fictional character so the hilariously murderous git can leave at any time. Hopefully not soon though.

Booby Cannavale who plays Gyp has Nurse Jackie duties - so he possibly won't be around for much longer.QUOTE]

Aaaaaahhh well that definitely is not Bone For Tuna

The Al Capone "how to handle bullies" lesson was quite a scene. Nice of him to cough up for the funeral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

Capone is a great character being played by a fantastic actor.
    Very good episode this week. The scenes between Nucky and Owen were very interesting I thought but I somehow don't think that will be the end of his ambitions.

• Advertisement

Yeah, brilliant characters played by brilliant actors. The scene between Luciano and Joe could have been straight out of a film. Agreed with above, Al teaching the bully a lesson was a great scene as well. No sign of Van Aldan, Chalky or Harrow. The show has too many good characters!

Are these boards a bit quiet? I remember last season this had a lot more active discussion?

This thread itself has definitely gotten quieter. I hope it's just because people are waiting the extra week or so to watch at UK pace and not because people are tuning out.

This thread itself has definitely gotten quieter. I hope it's just because people are waiting the extra week or so to watch at UK pace and not because people are tuning out.

Probably the UK pace thing but then again most of my friends have the attention span of a flea so Boardwalk isn't for them. eejits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Really good episode. You don't mess with Nucky anymore do ye!? Killing that kid to show his authority and epsecially show that to Owen, really good.

The whole stuff with Al and his son,and then the bully was great. Things are really about to heat up now between Nucky and Gyp,and in turn then with New York. Then you have the Chicago mob wars about to begin.

I only watched BWE after the 1st season finished because people were telling me it's a bit slow moving, that completely put me off. Then I gave it a go and absolutely disagree that it's slow! There is a ton going on and a lot of thought going into the story. Can't believe I nearly didn't give this a chance because of what other people were saying.

For me personally, the season is just a little off so far. As usual, Harrow and Capone have been the highlights. Rosetti seems like a worthy foe. But as I said, there's something off. Jimmy Darmody for me personally was the cornerstone of this show, it just seems a little strange without him. Don't get me wrong it's technically good, but there's something lacking. I'm sure it'll pick up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭michaelduignan

Best episode of the series so far I thought. Some fantastic scenes throughout the episode the one in Italian was standout for me. Very good when the heavy guy turned to talk to al Capone but he was already gone!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I'd say myself it's just folks posting on the new shows....so i wouldn't read too much into lack of postings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

I'd say myself it's just folks posting on the new shows....so i wouldn't read too much into lack of postings :)

In my case, I still like the show but I agree with de Sousa - the absence of Jimmy Darmody has made it lacking in something for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

was I the only one that really disliked Jimmy? I was hoping he would die and thought it was a great move when they killed him off. Nearly every other character is so much more interesting and personally I think they are all better actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Yeah, I really didn't like Jimmy either. He just seemed like a moody teeanger that wanted everything and appreciated nothing. Was delighted to see Nucky put a bullet in him. Richard is a far more interesting post-war character.

Liking this series a lot, although I have to get a friend to stop texting me the instant he watches it. Every Monday evening I get a text saying "New Boardwalk is genius! Possibly the best episode of the season yet," so I end up watching it with unrealistic expectations of something shocking happening rather than just carefully plotted, excellently acted thriller/drama.

Really enjoyed getting a good dose of Al in this episode. He's one of the more likeable characters at the moment but I expect that'll change eventually. I've also developed a bit of a soft spot for Eli. I'm sure if I was Nucky and had been betrayed by my brother I'd be every bit as pissed off with him but I find him to be very sympathetic and really hope he works his way back into Nucky's good graces. He's certainly more valuable than Mickey Doyle anyway (who's great character but a complete tit).

They've so many great characters now it's hard to give them all time. I needed a bigger fix of Gyp Rosetti!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

I think it's better than it ever has been. I was underwhelmed by the first season. It just felt like a big expensive show with nothing interesting to say other than namedropping famous criminals. It's come a long way since then.

+1 on the Good Riddance to Jimmy theme. He was a bore lost in a sea of colourful characters. Apart from Nucky, the whole thing is really an ensemble piece. Bit like Desperate Housewives with good actors, a plot and guns (we got guns).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

+1 on the Good Riddance to Jimmy theme. He was a bore lost in a sea of colourful characters. Apart from Nucky, the whole thing is really an ensemble piece. Bit like Desperate Housewives with good actors, a plot and guns (we got guns).

What’s that? A gun? I got a gun. I got a gun. He got a gun. He got a gun. Everybody got guns.

Yeah +1 from me on the dislike for Jimmy. Always found him boring and was happy he was used to show you don't mess with Nucky Thompson.
    That just reminds me too, did they explain why Margaret isn't dead for her signing over of the land?
    Also, I think this season is shaping up to be the best so far. I'm loving the addition of Rosetti.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭K3lso

Are you all mad?!

Jimmy was brilliant! (Margaret is boring...she can't capture what she was in season 1...a thorn in Nuckys side) I turned against Jimmy when he turned his back on Nucky in the second season but then we got a small glimpse of what he was (a great character in the first season) when he made it up with Nucky and burst into the hospital with Harrow (sp?) at the end of the second season....it was like "hell yeah, old Jimmy is back"...limping down the corridor. Sad to see him go, they could have done a lot more with his character.

I hope they don't introduce new "bad guys" every season. Remember Ralph in the Sopranos? I thought he was a great character...somebody you could really love to hate. He really got under Tonys nose...but they got rid of him far too quickly..

When a great character comes along, they shouldn't kill them off so soon...this new guy hasn't connected with me yet, but I hope they build him up over the weeks. I would like Jimmys mother (can't remember her name) tell the new guy Gip? That there is a rumour Nucky killed her son...should create a dramatic atmosphere between the two..

I like what they're doing with Eli...hated him in season 2. Starting to warm to him again after the latest episode...I think he's trying to renew himself and it's nice to see.

Some of the characters are inevitable (I'm thinking Lucky, Lansky, and Capone). You can't tell the tale of gangland USA c. 1920s without them. But I take your point, it is getting a little crowded at the moment. Gyp is a great addition though. My all-time favourite psychopath.

And I have to disagree, Jimmy seemed to be in a coma most of the time he was onscreen. Nucky just used the ultimate remote control to zap him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

For me personally, the season is just a little off so far. As usual, Harrow and Capone have been the highlights. Rosetti seems like a worthy foe. But as I said, there's something off. Jimmy Darmody for me personally was the cornerstone of this show, it just seems a little strange without him. Don't get me wrong it's technically good, but there's something lacking. I'm sure it'll pick up though.
    Kilkenny14 wrote: »
    In my case, I still like the show but I agree with de Sousa - the absence of Jimmy Darmody has made it lacking in something for me.

Couldn't disagree more. This season is my favourite so far and it's still in it's infancy. Lots of great stories going on and everything is building nicely.
    Although enjoyable enough I wasn't in a hurry to watch this season as there were a lot of boring/filler episodes in previous seasons but this season has been excellent.

Now if only someone could kill off Margaret, her stupid Irish accent and her boring as hell storylines....

tvnutz wrote: »
    was I the only one that really disliked Jimmy? I was hoping he would die and thought it was a great move when they killed him off. Nearly every other character is so much more interesting and personally I think they are all better actors.

I listened to Terence Winter's reasoning for killing off Jimmy and he made a fair point, it wouldn't have made sense for Jimmy to go back to working for Nucky after everything that happened. Jimmy sealed his own fate after the botched hit on Nucky.

Anyway, what I meant was that Jimmy's story was a major part of this show for two seasons so it's taking a little bit of time to get used to the show without him. I personally was fascinated by the character and his relationship with his mother, Nucky and Richard. Just because a character isn't as colourful as others does not mean they aren't intriguing.

Last night's episode was good, Rosetti is getting more psychotic as the weeks go by but I feel they more or less told us in this episode how things are going to go down for him. Daugherty seemingly needs a sacrificial lamb, but one that doesn't know enough to bring Daugherty down with him. I think Nucky will end up feeding Rosetti to Daugherty as after the failed hit on Rosetti, they won't get another chance to do it without Masseria bringing a ****storm down upon both Rothstein and Nucky.

Agreed, Gyp was always going to be a short term addition to the show. He's insane, mid level and won't endanger the big picture if he were to get sacrificed.
    Though if Rothstein knew what we know, he'd have hired a woman with a belt to do the deed on the flake.

• Advertisement
Advertisement