Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HBO [US] Boardwalk Empire **Spoilers**

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Really enjoyed this episode. The overhead shot of Gyp stalking the halls, walking over the corpses was one of my favourites from the show. I've a feeling that he's not going to take this very well. How this will escalate though up the chain to an all out gang war will be interesting. I've no idea about the history of the characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

ixoy wrote: »
    Really enjoyed this episode. The overhead shot of Gyp stalking the halls, walking over the corpses was one of my favourites from the show. I've a feeling that he's not going to take this very well. How this will escalate though up the chain to an all out gang war will be interesting. I've no idea about the history of the characters.

It was a great scene. You can always depend on Tim Van Patten making a mark on the episodes he directs.

Also, Margaret is really annoying me more than usual. I think it's the accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

I despair when I see Margaret in the catch-up at the start because I know she will have a large enough part in the episode.
    Awful, awful actress and accent.
    The episode itself I thought was only ok by this season so far's standard.
    Would agree that the scene mentioned already with Gyp was amazing and also Van Alden's Dutch chick has got balls:eek:, I like her!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

There was no need to shot the kid at the end :(

Fantastic direction with that overhead shot of the corridor

Director & editor realy did a strong job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I dunno if Boardwalk will go up there with The Wire and Sopranos, but that scene with Rosetti that was mentioned is probably going to go down as iconic. The end shot was perfect too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

The whole aftermath scene with Rosetti looking through the hallway really reminded me of Taxi Driver, fantastic scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I despair when I see Margaret in the catch-up at the start because I know she will have a large enough part in the episode.
    Awful, awful actress and accent.

Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire.....they've all got one thing in common: boards.ie hates all of the female leads. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Was watching this with the missus and she fell asleep only to wake up during the Rosetti/aftermath scene and was just like WTF!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭michaelduignan

Stephen Graham (Al Capone) and the Jewish guy (dont know his name) were both on soccer am this morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Anyone else think nuckie is really dislikable in this series,I echo what others think of Margaret it's her accent I can't stand it.

• Advertisement

Stephen Graham (Al Capone) and the Jewish guy (dont know his name) were both on soccer am this morning!
    Lansky or Rothstein? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire.....they've all got one thing in common: boards.ie hates all of the female leads. :p

[OT]Arya Stark and Daenerys Targaryen in Game of Thrones aren't unpopular on boards and would consider them both leads.[/OT]

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭michaelduignan

Lansky or Rothstein? :pac:
    Lansky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

Sappa wrote: »
    Anyone else think nuckie is really dislikable in this series,I echo what others think of Margaret it's her accent I can't stand it.

This is IMO the biggest problem with this show.

I love Steve Buscemi as an supporting actor but as a lead, I dont think he is strong enough. I really cant seem to root for nucky.

The show keeps me watching as there is an array of very interesting secondary characters i.e. harrow, valalden, capone etc.

How creepy is Gillian?
    'Oh yeah baby, That really brought me back. I'm going to call you James'
    She bascically could of said whos your MOMMA!!!

Love the way Luciano says Whooo-ars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,924 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Love the way Luciano says Whooo-ars

THIS!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

shrewdness wrote: »
    The whole aftermath scene with Rosetti looking through the hallway really reminded me of Taxi Driver, fantastic scene.

exactly what I was thinking... great little homage to it.

This is IMO the biggest problem with this show.

I love Steve Buscemi as an supporting actor but as a lead, I dont think he is strong enough. I really cant seem to root for nucky.

I was rooting for Nucky all the way until this season, I mean who wouldn't in this situation:

But this season he is really starting to irritate me, between being whipped for Billy and his can't be half a gangster new persona, I just find him really dislikeable. But I don't think that's Buscemi's fault, and it is probably what is intended in making the viewer go off supporting Nucky.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

im still supporting nucky :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

576262_477137718983979_1632532077_n.jpg

one of my favorite quotes from the present season :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

How creepy is Gillian?

That actually creeped the hell out of me!!! Your man is the actual stamp off Jimmy too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Throw in Lori from Walking Dead.Annoying ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

How creepy is Gillian?
    That actually creeped the hell out of me!!! Your man is the actual stamp off Jimmy too

Yea bit creepy alright - still would though! :p

Too much Margaret this week for my liking, and I don't like Billie and her influence on Nucky in the last few episodes, but at least Nucky vs Shooter McGavin looks like it could be interesting.

I'm gonna go against the mainstream here and say that Richard Harrow is boring me - the character seems lost since Jimmy was killed.

Gotta love Micky Doyle though asking about Gyp and his collar :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭K3lso

Boardwalk Empire is becoming very slow moving for me. IMO, they haven't been able to capture the frenzy of the past. A bit off topic here, but I recently discovered Breaking Bad...enough said. Heisenberg moves so quickly, Gus Fring, Mike, Jesse...unbelievable story-telling....edge of your seat stuff and the soundtrack is exceptional.

Boardwalk Empire better get a move on...I'd like them to start paying more attention to Al Capone and Luciano more so than Nucky.

There is more than one way to skin a cat though. What works for one show may not work for another.
    I've only seen the first 5 eps of breaking bad so far but i cant really see why you compare it to Boardwalk Empire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭K3lso

There is more than one way to skin a cat though. What works for one show may not work for another.
    I've only seen the first 5 eps of breaking bad so far but i cant really see why you compare it to Boardwalk Empire.

I'm not directly comparing the two...I'm just saying that IMHO I haven't felt Boardwalk Empire has managed to create the atmosphere of the first season. The show moves very slowly I think. I mean where are we at the moment? Margaret and Slater at it again in the middle of season 3, something that was started at the beginning of season 2 and then it was dropped...it's just dragging out I think. There was a lot of filler episodes in season 2 and the last episode the number one bad guy didn't even show his face at all. In the last week, in what way has the story progressed? Not much.

But again off topic...if you're only at episode 5 of Breaking Bad, I envy you. I enjoyed every second of it. You've not even gotten into the juicy stuff. Season 2 is great and then Season 3 is unbelievable...Walter goes from Mother Teresa into Scarface...the transition is great story telling...enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

K3lso wrote: »
    I'm not directly comparing the two...I'm just saying that IMHO I haven't felt Boardwalk Empire has managed to create the atmosphere of the first season. The show moves very slowly I think. I mean where are we at the moment? Margaret and Slater at it again in the middle of season 3, something that was started at the beginning of season 2 and then it was dropped...it's just dragging out I think. There was a lot of filler episodes in season 2 and the last episode the number one bad guy didn't even show his face at all. In the last week, in what way has the story progressed? Not much.

But again off topic...if you're only at episode 5 of Breaking Bad, I envy you. I enjoyed every second of it. You've not even gotten into the juicy stuff. Season 2 is great and then Season 3 is unbelievable...Walter goes from Mother Teresa into Scarface...the transition is great story telling...enjoy it.
    Just the whole Nucky/Doherty story, you can tell Billie will be going soon with her Hollywood offer, the kid and his burning again, creepy Gillian story. It cant be all guns blazing in every episode, for me i think the series has been excellent so far, better than season 2. Comparing it to BB or anything else is pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

The future of Boardwalk Empire viz. Luciano, Capone and Lansky can be seen with a quick google of their names.
    Whether it veers off Nucky and follows them or not is anybodies guess - but if Nucky stays in the booze business they will have to figure largely as the 20s progress. I'm hoping to see old Joe Kennedy make an appearance soon.
    Like a previous poster intimated - we may be in a for a long haul, not a break-knuckle trip like Breaking Bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

Wow I thought Rosettis scene in the Church was pretty powerful. The frustrationand hurt in his voice was immense and I really thought that he was going to askthe priest for some guidance, NOPE!!

I think Gillian’s story is ridiculous; surely she cannot be the only personwho will identify 'Jimmys' body?

Really loved Harrows scenes, especially when he threatened to kill the Julia’sfather if he didn’t let Tommy go!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

I think Gillian’s story is ridiculous; surely she cannot be the only personwho will identify 'Jimmys' body?[/SIZE

with the contacts she has this will be easily covered up, fingerprinting was only in its infancy so you could pass off a similar looking guy as Jimmy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I would imagine "Jimmy"'s body will spend some time sleeping with the fishes before being accidentally discovered.
    Gyp's relationship with God brings a new meaning to nuts. This guy is a classic. Then robbing the church for a laugh - I think he may have had a Christian brothers education.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What's with the lack of Van Alden in the last 2 episodes? Bit weird considering how the last time we saw him he was killing a cop. Would like to see how that pans out with him being indebted to the flower guy. (too many characters to remember names)

I would imagine "Jimmy"'s body will spend some time sleeping with the fishes before being accidentally discovered.
    Gyp's relationship with God brings a new meaning to nuts. This guy is a classic. Then robbing the church for a laugh - I think he may have had a Christian brothers education.

That wasn't for a laugh, he kicked those coins up to Masseria. :pac::pac::pac:

These last 3 episodes have been very slow paced,losing interest now and fast forwarding bits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

It needs more Rosetti!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Just the whole Nucky/Doherty story, you can tell Billie will be going soon with her Hollywood offer, the kid and his burning again, creepy Gillian story. It cant be all guns blazing in every episode, for me i think the series has been excellent so far, better than season 2. Comparing it to BB or anything else is pointless.

Except it is all guns blazing every episode, far too much imo there's a unnecessary blood bath every episode that just seems to be added for the "shock" value & does nothing to move the plot forward.

The second last episode with Nucky, Doherty & the thieving kid locked in the cellar for most of the episode. What did that add to the story? They spend nearly the entire episode introducing the kid only to have him killed at the end. If your gonna kill him then kill him that's fine but why drag it out for so long? All it did was help underline the fact that Nucky is a unlikeable pr!ck with no redeeming features what so ever.

And some of the more delicate issue like incest, suicide, the stillborn death's etc... have been handled so badly & in bad taste imo.

It feels like an accumulation of all the things HBO dramas have taught us we SHOULD value in a TV show, rather than letting us discover something new and exciting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Don't think so. Sure you hear one of the girls scream as Harrow runs off to check what's going on at the very end of the episode.
    Sappa wrote: »
    These last 3 episodes have been very slow paced,losing interest now and fast forwarding bits
    Thought it was just me. I had to watch this week's twice as it just wasn't holding my attention first time through.. it's definitely lost something in the last few episodes after a promising start :(

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I would imagine "Jimmy"'s body will spend some time sleeping with the fishes before being accidentally discovered./QUOTE]
    Don't think so. Sure you hear one of the girls scream as Harrow runs off to check what's going on at the very end of the episode.

Thought it was just me. I had to watch this week's twice as it just wasn't holding my attention first time through.. it's definitely lost something in the last few episodes after a promising start :(
    Yepp I have given up on boardwalk empire,what promised so much has just fallen flat on it's arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

It's very disjointed. Too many stories, almost none of which seem to overlap.

I don't see this as a recent occurrence, as I said previously, there's just been something awfully lacking this season. I think the show is suffering from the sharp turn in the direction of the story. Rosetti, while great, is not keeping the show on a cohesive and purposeful path like Jimmy's arc did.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Great episode - I've got to say I would have shoved that
    iron in that guy's face too

Also, the end scene can join the long list of Saving Private Ryan homages!

• Advertisement

Fúcking great episode.

Van Alden's scene was amazing because they built that up since the start of the season and I was actually happy to see the iron stick to that guys face.
    I'm loving his wife too, she takes care of her man no matter what like a proper wife:D

The bomb scene at the end took me by real surprise as i had forgotten about Gillian telling Rosetti that Nucky would be at the restaurant.
    That should bring Nucky back to life because he wont be moping around after Billy anymore and he will have revenge on his mind.

I haven't looked forward to the next weeks episode like this in a while.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Great episode, really gets things going, all the story lines are moving on nicely.

Enjoyed it, particularly Van Alden going postal on his colleagues, those **** had it coming. :p

Wasn't a fan of Billy, but her death should definitely lead to this season finally getting some urgency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

"Where do you want to go? Anywhere but New Jersey or New York or Illinois now obviously" :D I'd be happy out if the show focused more on Harrow and Van Alden......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Corkfeen wrote: »
    "Where do you want to go? Anywhere but New Jersey or New York or Illinois now obviously" :D I'd be happy out if the show focused more on Harrow and Van Alden......

Harrow I get Van alden not so much I mean the actor is intense as hell but his storyline ever since he became an ex probie and went on the lam is so tangential to everything else he may as well be in a different show at times . Give me more harrow or Capone any day of the week.

I much prefer Van Alden over Harrow. I find Harrow slightly annoying tbh.

Was I picking it up wrong or did this episode seem like the start of Capone taking over from Jonny?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

Was I picking it up wrong or did this episode seem like the start of Capone taking over from Jonny?

No you're bang on and it's about time too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah he was giving him all sorts of "why the hell are you in charge" looks

i wonder is that what capone and the other guy ended up talking about once the camera cut away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I really hope Nucky finds out about Owen and Margaret and does away with them before the end of the season. There is only so much more I can take of Kelly McDonald (Scottish) trying to do an Irish accent. Its gotten so bad that even when she was in Pixar's Brave with a Scottish accent I couldn't stand her voice! At least the guy who plays Owen Slater (English) does a decent job of pulling off the Northern accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

The explosion was pretty cool in fairness. I was expecting another botched assassination attempt in Babette's (similar to Jimmy's on Nucky), so that was a nice surprise. Hopefully now the next four episodes will move forward with a sense of purpose, and not meander along slowly. Although given the nature of this show, I wouldn't be surprised if Gyp isn't seen in the next episode (not seeing him the episode after the "paperboy" tried to take him out was beyond frustrating - why have such an elaborate scene that seemingly sets in motion a major plot point, only for that character not to appear and advance that story next time?)

Looking forward to seeing how Nucky deals with the fallout - whether or not he pieces together it was Gyp who planted the bomb (I'd be shocked if he didn't), whether or not he realises Gillian was involved and kills her (which leaves Richard taking care of Tommy with his new beau), and what happens when he finds out about Margaret and Owen.

Also, even though the Van Halden scenes have bored me to tears this season (they just seem so disconnected to everything that's going on, they might as well be on a different show), his freakout at work was hilarious. And I love the fact his wife is more a gangster than he is!

Advertisement