Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HBO [US] Boardwalk Empire **Spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Sappa wrote: »
    Anyone else think nuckie is really dislikable in this series,I echo what others think of Margaret it's her accent I can't stand it.

I thought Nucky was supposed to be somewhat unlikable. I took a serious dislike to him at the end of season 1, and that has stuck since, this hasn't affected what I think of the show one bit, I still love it, and love to root against Nucky.

Also can't stand Margeret. Every scene she is in, is pure torture to watch. She gets way too much screen time. Just watched ep 6 (sky Atlantic pace), and she must have had 1/3 of the scenes, it was the worst episode of the show yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i like how slow the show is moving.. they seem to be setting up for the long game rather than a season by season show. van aldens stuff might not be very relevant this season but it's the next season when he's even deeper in the bootlegging game where he'll come back into it properly. taking the time to show it happening bit by bit is preferable to a sudden change in personality and circumstance for the sake of hving it happen this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,948 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Excellent episode this week and long overdue after the last few I have to say.

I really don't get the love for Harrow. What has he really done this season with the exception of blowing away yer man (can't think of his name) at the start? Yes he was good in season 2, but I think the writers are at a loose end with him this year.

Agree with the anti-Margaret sentiment. She adds nothing to the show, but ditto Billie - glad she's finally been written out too. Boardwalk seems to be very like the Shield in that most/all of the female characters (Margaret, Gillian, Billie) are completely unlikeable.

I presume it's already been renewed for season 4??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I don't mind the slow pacing at all as a lot of times the pay-offs are greatly rewarding. This episode was far more interesting than last weeks which was fairly dull and uninvolving.

But, eurgh, Margaret reeeeeeeaaaaally drags this show down. Her character just completely grinds the episode to an utter halt. I can bypass her odd accent but her character and her hospital crusade just feels utterly pointless to the overall show. Even Van Alden's story, as disconnected as it might seem, has at least some end-goal where you'll see him connected to one of the major characters down the line.

Oh look, she's talking to Owen...........I bet they'll shag or speak innuendos about shagging when................oh look, they're going to shag..............minutes after I thought they would...............could've skipped all that shìte talking about nothing.

I agree about Gyp suddenly vanishing after the attempted assassination on him was irritating. It feels like it never happened at all.

Also agree with the sentiments towards Harrow. He was up there as one of my favourite characters but this season he just floats about the place, it's as if the writers are unsure where to go with him. He needs to be involved with something because he's sliding into background character territory as he's adding nothing to this season so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I think Harrow will play his role in the Rosetti/Nucky war eventually. He'll see how much of a nutjob Rosetti is and how insane Gillian is and jump ship to Nucky. He'll probably take Tommy too and ask Julia to mind him while things are so unstable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just caught up on this.

Nice explosion at the end. When Nucky was watching BIllie, I was thinking she's going to die in front of him but couldn't figure out how unless a bullet meant for Nucky misses and hits her. Wonder if the life insurance policy woll implicate Nucky. Though I don't think the police there think like that.
    Though what effect will it have on the relationship with New York.

As for Margaret, I agree. I'm tempted to skip those scenes from now on. Oh cool, bootlegging, murder, conspiracy....diaphragms.

Van Halden's story interests me. Surprised at the meet he said there were irons in the case, though we have now seen what he can do with them. :) His breakdown at least made me think of him more as Zod now. (In case anyone doesn't know, he's playing Zod in the new Superman movie.)

In the previous episode, when the wee boy was playing with the toy soldiers, did the tune that played sound like Knight Rider? And yeah, I know it came before knight rider. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

So were bombs used widely by gangsters in the 1930s? Thats at least 2 so far isn't it? Just curious if it's realistic or for dramatic affect only.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Don't know what to make of that last episode, hard to see where they're going from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Clareman wrote: »
    Don't know what to make of that last episode, hard to see where they're going from here.

Isn't it obvious? They're going to war! :p

Would you like to know more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

mewso wrote: »
    So were bombs used widely by gangsters in the 1930s? Thats at least 2 so far isn't it? Just curious if it's realistic or for dramatic affect only.

It's still the 1920s, and yes, they were.

• Advertisement

Good episode tonight - loved Gyp's town meeting and his new hat :p

Not sure how this is going to play out for Nucky though now he's lost any support he had from the other bosses.

Hmmm, interesting episode. It looks like Nucky is backed into a corner. His only hope is that Rosetti moves on Rothstein first which will make him realise that Nucky's not the only target, which will in turn make the other bosses so uneasy about their own status that they'll agree to go to war against Masseria and Rosetti.

I'm almost sure now too that the Richard/Julia story will tie into the main storyline. After Tommy said he wanted to leave, I have a feeling that Richard will try and do a runner with him and Julia. Gillian will get wind of this and ask Rosetti to go after them, which will in turn mean a casualty (probably Julia). Thus, in Nucky's most dire hour of need (especially if Owen deserts him by running off with Margaret), an expert marksman will offer his services to him. ;)

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    loved Gyp's town meeting

Rosetti gets all the best lines - bible camp's cancelled! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭JessePinkman

Hmmm, interesting episode. It looks like Nucky is backed into a corner. His only hope is that Rosetti moves on Rothstein first which will make him realise that Nucky's not the only target, which will in turn make the other bosses so uneasy about their own status that they'll agree to go to war against Masseria and Rosetti.

I'm almost sure now too that the Richard/Julia story will tie into the main storyline. After Tommy said he wanted to leave, I have a feeling that Richard will try and do a runner with him and Julia. Gillian will get wind of this and ask Rosetti to go after them, which will in turn mean a casualty (probably Julia). Thus, in Nucky's most dire hour of need (especially if Owen deserts him by running off with Margaret), an expert marksman will offer his services to him. ;)

I'd like Harrow to get back involved,This love story bull is boring.......I want more Van Halden too!!

Wonder will nucky call on Al now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I reckon Rosetti will be killed off by the end of this season, but am I the only one who wants to keep him around?! :D

He is a fantastic presence on screen and the final moments of him walking on to the beach in his 'Generals' hat was probably the highlight of the episode - purely bonkers, but insanely brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I'm really hoping for someone, preferably Harrow, to kill Jimmy's mother before this season is out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Interesting to see how this swings. Nucky's proposal was taken seriously later on with the founding of the first commission to organise crime. It did take place in Atlantic City and Lucky, Lansky and Rothstein were key players. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_City_Conference

Lecture over ....General Gyp is priceless. I'd like to see him try and take on Capone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Gyp Rosetti must be the most entertaining character I've seen in any series for a long time. Just insane. Hope they don't kill him off, he's brilliant to watch

Falthyron wrote: »
    I reckon Rosetti will be killed off by the end of this season, but am I the only one who wants to keep him around?! :D

He is a fantastic presence on screen and the final moments of him walking on to the beach in his 'Generals' hat was probably the highlight of the episode - purely bonkers, but insanely brilliant!

One of the biggest WTF :confused: moments I've ever seen on TV I have to say. Hope he's wearing that when he gets whacked. :pac:

One of the biggest WTF :confused: moments I've ever seen on TV I have to say. Hope he's wearing that when he gets whacked. :pac:

Probably that, a dog collar and not much else :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Am I the only 1 that thinks Richard will be given the task to take him out?

Clareman wrote: »
    Am I the only 1 that thinks Richard will be given the task to take him out?

The obvious choice - he is a stone cold killer. Rosetti's dramatics wouldn't impress him in the least.

I think he might take the task on himself if given enough reason to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just watched. I'm hoping Owen leaves with Margaret, just so we get rid of her. :)

Think the funniest bit about Rosetti walking on the beach with the hat was that everyone looked, saw it was Rosetti, then went back to work as if they'd expect nothing else from him.

Rothstein mustn't have found out the bomb was meant for him as well.

And, could I please make a request, that if you post anything that historically happened but hasn't been portrayed in the show yet, could you post it in spoiler tags? Personally I'm not up on my prohibition history. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭royster999

Why did Nucky refuse to deal with Rosetti in the first place?
    Surely he would have known that Gyp was backed by Masseria.

the fewer people you deal with the fewer people can rat you out to the police, he was worried about being screwed by the Attorney generals office so was taking steps to protect himself long-term

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

By only selling to Rothstein and getting him to distribute to the rest. Surprised Rothstein isn't in the fight with Nucky to be honest or at least helping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

I think this season was about Nuky trying to keep clean, putting as much distance between himself and criminality as he could and how it unravels. Paralleling this, is how poor Van Alden gets dragged into crime.
    It's less about what happened and more about the forces that force the hand of the characters.
    Nice prefiguring of the Wall Street crash just before the bomb, having the annoying guy talk of radio shares.
    The show has a nice way of using the social pressures of the time to drive motovations rather than just bad guys fighting.

Guessing that Margaret will eventually end up with Nucky, she seems to be what he needs more than wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah I bet Rosetti will kill Owen at some point, or Owen will die saving Nucky.

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    And, could I please make a request, that if you post anything that historically happened but hasn't been portrayed in the show yet, could you post it in spoiler tags? Personally I'm not up on my prohibition history. :)
    +1 .. I've made a deliberate effort not to read up on it so as not to know who survives. Of course I know Capone but the rest are new to me :)

Point taken...no more history lectures. Mea culpa.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

A lot of people dont seem to like Harrow very much, I think he's one of the most compelling characters in the show, and one of the few I would be disgusted to lose. Although I'm also a fan of van Alden, Owen and Chalkey too (needs more of him). Its a shame they're setting Owen up to take Margaret out of the show. I'd prefer to see him take a stronger route then the savior of the family.

Van Alden is looking interesting as well, its gonna be interesting to see what happens when he ends up on the wrong side of a war with Capone.

Also, on a side note, does Mark Wahlberg executive produce everything HBO makes these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Gyp Rosetti is the worst boss I have seen in TV since Tony Soprano; his second in command face when his cousin opened his mouth said it all bout what would happen.

Also, I really hope Harrow remains happy to the end of the season, but I cannot see it happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭K3lso

Can't believe Eoin is dead....did anyone see it coming? Jesus Christ, what a swerve!

Why are they killing off all the main characters just when things are getting interesting? Most of the concrete personalities are dropping off....slippery slope to be on.

god damnit
    that was a powerful reveal and I'm sure it'd have had more of an impact on me if i wasn't so ****ing annoyed this means margaret isn't going anywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

I would of liked to see Eoin last longer bit disappointing the way they got rid of him, I was really starting to loose interest in the show then along cam Gyp Rosetti, one of the best charachters I've seen in a TV series in a long time.

The next couple of episodes should be very interesting, Chalkey, Al, & Van Alden look like they're all going to be more involved which can only be a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Holy donkey riding unicorns!!!

I think Nucky is thinking about using Torrio to sort out the Gyp affair - that probably means Capone vs. Gyp. Bye, Gyp, pleasure knowing you but I've seen Al's table manners.

K3lso wrote: »
    Can't believe Eoin is dead....did anyone see it coming? Jesus Christ, what a swerve!

Once Luciano gave his info to Masseria and I saw the size of the crate, I put 2 and 2 together.

I had a feeling he was going to die, but not until the finale, and at the hands of Nucky once he got wind of Margaret's plans. Interesting choice anyway to do it off screen, I guess that was done so the audience couldn't anticipate Margaret's reaction. Bit of a waste to be honest as I find it hard to feel sorry for her.
    that was a powerful reveal and I'm sure it'd have had more of an impact on me if i wasn't so ****ing annoyed this means margaret isn't going anywhere

Wouldn't be so sure that she's guaranteed to stick around as I'm pretty sure Nucky put 2 and 2 together once she had her little breakdown. But yeah, my gut tells me she'll be sticking around unfortunately. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

was it just Eoin in the crate or was the other guy that went with him also in it ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Just Eoin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Just Eoin.

interesting the other guy must of sold out Eoin

Well I didn't see THAT coming! :eek:

I did guess Margaret was pregnant during the scene with the doctor where she says something like "it's nothing I haven't been through before" when he comments about her being pale. Was obviously gonna be Eoin's.

Harrow still floating about in love but doing very little again this week

Poor Van Alden/"George" .. he's deep in it now.

Thought yer man with the southern drawl (can't remember his name) was gone too. Was he playing Nucky AND Shooter Doherty then?

It's taken 4/5 episodes but since last week it's finally starting to come good this season

I didn't see that coming either, great twist, really opens it up, I figured Nucky would find the diaphram and end up killing Margaret and Eoin, will Nucky be happy to pretend the child is his I wonder? Hard to see how Harrow will come to Nucky, the easy thing to do would be have him as the shooter for him. Van Alden just can't get a break, it'll be fun to see if he's around when yerman arrives to meet up in Chicago. Chalkey as well is going to have a bigger part to play as well, I don't think he likes being just seen as "uppidy".

Great show, really has a load of different story lines ongoing which makes it gripping, I reckon there's a lot more to the couple dozen bottles of whiskey falling over board. Also, I don't think the show is going to be anywhere historically accurate, that why it's Thomson not Johnson after all :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Tristram wrote: »
    Holy donkey riding unicorns!!!

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Wish they'd stuff Margaret in a fookin box and leave Eoin alone! :mad:

And the scene with Gyp killing yer man buried to his neck on the beach?? Leave it bleedin ouuu!! :eek: That was some gruesome sh*t. It's up there with the scene in Casino where they
    kill Nicky and his brother with the bats
    as one of the nastiest I've seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

After the previous episode where Margaret and Owen decided to run away together my theory was this is how it would pan out so it all seemed a bit obvious to me.

Still no idea where the Harrow storyline though, can't wait to find out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I wish they'd stop killing my favourite characters. It was obvious what was going to happen to Eoin once Masseria was tipped off.

Also, am I the only one who has no idea what's going on with the whole secretary general thing? I mean, I get that he's in bed with Nucky with the alcohol and all, but that guy who shot himself, no idea really who he is or why he's important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

That sounded a lot like The National playing during the end credits, they must be trying to make it habit as they played out an episode of Game Of Thrones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

Also, am I the only one who has no idea what's going on with the whole secretary general thing? I mean, I get that he's in bed with Nucky with the alcohol and all, but that guy who shot himself, no idea really who he is or why he's important.

That's all based on real life. Attorney General Harry Daugherty was corrupt as **** basically, as shown by his dealings with Nucky. He was part of a group of politicians known as the Ohio Gang, who served in President Harding's administration. They were well known for taking bribes and skimming money off federal budgets.

The man who killed himself, Jess Smith, was another real life character who was an associate of Daughertys. Daughtery appointed Smith to the Justice Department where his role was really to serve as a contact for all the various people who wanted to pay bribes. This developed into a big scandal at the time. Smith, who was about to be exposed,was unable to live with the guilt and shot himself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement