Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HBO [US] Boardwalk Empire **Spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Top episode, could see Eoins death coming a mile away tho and was glad to see the back of him to be honest as a right hand man hes not a patch on Jimmy, also that weird suit jacket with the big button on the front in case he encounters a strong breeze was unforgivable.

Rossetti has already become boring, totally predictable with the acts of extreme violence granted its entertaining but is that all he offers. Hope he is killed off sooner than later. The King Joe scenes tho few have been some of my favorites this series he seems to have a real presence especially compared to nucky who seems to be going through the motions, would love too see more of him and hope they keep him for another series.

I can see Margret hitting the road anyways there doesn't seem to be anything left for her now. I can also see Richard leaving with his new woman and Jimmys kid, I hope he sticks around tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭K3lso

Once Luciano gave his info to Masseria and I saw the size of the crate, I put 2 and 2 together.

I had a feeling he was going to die, but not until the finale, and at the hands of Nucky once he got wind of Margaret's plans. Interesting choice anyway to do it off screen, I guess that was done so the audience couldn't anticipate Margaret's reaction. Bit of a waste to be honest as I find it hard to feel sorry for her.

Yeah, Gyp will be gone by the end of this season. I don't like the guy which says the actor must be doing something right. :P One of the best villains I've seen in a while....someone you just love to hate.
    Joe Masseria will be sticking around unfortunately....I hate the character with zero redeeming features. If the show takes place in 1923, historically Masseria wasn't killed by Luciano until 1931 so he's going to be the bad guy next season.

Here's a promo of next week....it's really heating up...looks great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Spoiler tags added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Ugh feel like such a blouse.

I've got the misses watching Boardwalk empire now. So Monday evenings are The Walking Dead followed by this. I was giving her dogs abuse over the last few weeks over her little cries and distress at stuff happening in The Walking Dead.

So as we have been going along the last three weeks, I've been giving quick little updates on characters and **** that has happened, she wont get around to watching S1 and 2 for a while, but shes loving the show after three episodes. I'll spoiler tag the conversation
    Me: So thats Eoin, he was with the IRA and Nucky picked him up as part of a kinda foreign arrangement to do some personal security, few hits, but he is pretty integrated now, and he is the main consultant and right hand of Nucky.

Scene about organising the hit in the baths

Misses : So hes being sent to do a hit? ****, thats gonna botch, he's definitely dead. No way they'd have that scene with them running away, he is so dead.

Me : The ****, your crazy, guy is a boss. No way.

Scene with Charlie ratting him out

Misses : He is ****ed
    Me: NO HE IS NOT, even if it is a trap, hes a boss, he will get out of it.

Episode continues

Crate arrives
    Reveal of Eoin

Me : NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    WHAT THE ****
    WHY, WHYYYYYYYY

Misses : Whose the little whingy bitch now?

Anyone who has being seeing my posts around here for the last few years, or recently in Walking Dead thread, I've mentioned numerous times the way the misses just calls **** spot on, and now in a show she hasn't even been following.
    I'm expecting Harris to take a more prominant role now, maybe Nucky enlisting his niché services for the incoming war. And if they kill off Harris, I'm ****ing out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Do you and your missus really talk to each other like that? :o

Mr E wrote: »
    Do you and your missus really talk to each other like that? :o

Absolutely

Considering our main thing is watching American TV series, is it any suprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Never really saw Owen as an expert in his field. He was tough and loyal (well besides for riding his bosses' wife), but he didn't really seem to have much brains. Remember when he went in all guns blazing to beat up Jimmy's men? It was rash and not thought out, and he would have been dead had Richard decided to pull the trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭michaelduignan

TheDoc wrote: »
    Ugh feel like such a blouse.

I've got the misses watching Boardwalk empire now. So Monday evenings are The Walking Dead followed by this. I was giving her dogs abuse over the last few weeks over her little cries and distress at stuff happening in The Walking Dead.

So as we have been going along the last three weeks, I've been giving quick little updates on characters and **** that has happened, she wont get around to watching S1 and 2 for a while, but shes loving the show after three episodes. I'll spoiler tag the conversation
    Me: So thats Eoin, he was with the IRA and Nucky picked him up as part of a kinda foreign arrangement to do some personal security, few hits, but he is pretty integrated now, and he is the main consultant and right hand of Nucky.

Scene about organising the hit in the baths

Misses : So hes being sent to do a hit? ****, thats gonna botch, he's definitely dead. No way they'd have that scene with them running away, he is so dead.

Me : The ****, your crazy, guy is a boss. No way.

Scene with Charlie ratting him out

Misses : He is ****ed
    Me: NO HE IS NOT, even if it is a trap, hes a boss, he will get out of it.

Episode continues

Crate arrives
    Reveal of Eoin

Me : NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    WHAT THE ****
    WHY, WHYYYYYYYY

Misses : Whose the little whingy bitch now?

Anyone who has being seeing my posts around here for the last few years, or recently in Walking Dead thread, I've mentioned numerous times the way the misses just calls **** spot on, and now in a show she hasn't even been following.
    I'm expecting Harris to take a more prominant role now, maybe Nucky enlisting his niché services for the incoming war. And if they kill off Harris, I'm ****ing out

Very funny post! i was totally taken back by the opening of the crate!! Obvious now looking back!

Never really saw Owen as an expert in his field. He was tough and loyal (well besides for riding his bosses' wife), but he didn't really seem to have much brains. Remember when he went in all guns blazing to beat up Jimmy's men? It was rash and not thought out, and he would have been dead had Richard decided to pull the trigger.

I thought targeted assassinations was one of his strengths?

I remember numerous references to him discussing things like having to "hide out" after making a hit and other references to killing.

While he might have been a bit lost in an open fight, I got the impression he knew his way around a single, targeted hit.

• Advertisement

Very funny post! i was totally taken back by the opening of the crate!! Obvious now looking back!

There was something about his face, and the way he was packed in it, that freaked me out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

TheDoc wrote: »
    I thought targeted assassinations was one of his strengths?

I remember numerous references to him discussing things like having to "hide out" after making a hit and other references to killing.

While he might have been a bit lost in an open fight, I got the impression he knew his way around a single, targeted hit.

I hope they give us a flashback showing how it went down but knowing the way Boardwalk Empire is there probably won't even be a mention of it in the next episode except for a grieving Margaret.

I hope they give us a flashback showing how it went down but knowing the way Boardwalk Empire is there probably won't even be a mention of it in the next episode except for a grieving Margaret.

Can only assume that the target was preparded, led them in and organised something.

What I guess it s nitpick, is that Charlie wasn't present during the organisation of the plan, so how he knew specifics I've no idea. He maybe passed on some info like " This is who Thompson will use to do it", gave a description, and they clocked him in the city or something, no idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

A show like this doesn't need to show it. They had the Gyp killing on the beach this episode, which was violent enough let's face it.

And the point of Eoin's death, plot-wise, is to show that Luciano informed Masseria that it was happening in advance, and for Nucky to realise that there was something going on between Margaret and Eoin.

I loved the way they held back the later part of the 'I'm pregnant' scene until after you saw Eoin was dead, gave it a good bit of extra emotional impact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Margaret's poker face isn't the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

How did luciano know the hit was happening at that specific place and that specific time though? Did I miss something?

• Advertisement

If I had to guess I'd say Mickey (he was in the room when Nucky was telling Owen what to do and Luciano does have links to Mickey), or maybe even the FBI guy did a double cross. After all, there's no confirmation that the latter was also murdered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

When someone says something that isn't to Gyp's liking, I find myself feeling nervous awaiting his reaction as if i was the person who said it.
    That's probably the biggest compliment I could pay the actor who plays him.

The Richard love story is grating on me if I'm honest. I just cant seem to care where it is going.

I liked Owen before the whole running away with Margaret storyline as I thought he had ideas of moving up the ranks fairly quickly and that could have been interesting.
    But in the end any bad thing that happens to Margaret is a good thing in my book. :p

Also, it was good to see that it looks like Chalky will be featuring more often as he has been criminally under used of late imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

With Owen/Eoin/Eoghan having such difficulty killing the guy last season in the bathroom with the garrote it's strange that he'd go after the boss of a family like that. Richard's romance I think is great, he clearly looks at the lad as his son, he'll have to get granny out of the way and she's not exactly flavour of the month with New Yorkers either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

The Richard love story is grating on me if I'm honest. I just cant seem to care where it is going.

Tbh, and this is pure speculation (but I'll spoiler it just to be on the safe side):
    I have a feeling this is just a building process with that particular storyline. We've seen how Richard has lost everything he once held dear in life with Jimmy and his wife being murdered. Now we see him happy and are meant to be relieved for him to just enjoy some peace in this world.

Yeah...that girl doesn't stand a chance. I'm guessing they encounter Gyp somehow down the line and make Richard the bad ass we saw at the start of the series, permanently.

Having Richard on his team will also give Nucky some likeability back, which he needs big-time if this show is going to go on for another few series. We can see the writers heading in that direction by having him appear much more vulnerable over the past few episodes (concussed, alone, clueless about his wife's affair until the big reveal).

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭royster999

Also, it was good to see that it looks like Chalky will be featuring more often as he has been criminally under used of late imo.

Quote of the episode:

Chalky: Tuxedos and chandalabras
    Nucky: Chandeliers
    Chalky: I aint got to spell 'em, just pay for em'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Was thinking the same Leggo, the fact that the relationship is moving so fast and that we can see Richard unpacking guns in the promo (?) then I really think something is going to happen to her, or worse still, the kid. The thing I love about Richard and Van Alden is that they are both likable, capable, and above all brutally unflinching when put on the spot. I dont think it needs to be said that in the past they have shown themselves to be complete badasses, and the fact that they are just hanging in the wind at the moment tells me that sh1t is about to go down. What has me most excited is that with Van Alden informing on O'Banion means hes done with them, and Capone probably wont want him (although that is a possibility) so he might actually wind up in Atlantic City again. Could you imagine Harrow, Van Alden and Chalkey in a fight together? Words couldnt describe the epicness.

Incidentally I knew when I was watching it that Chalkey showing up at the 11th hour and being denied a request was going to backfire on Nucky. Ultimately though Chalkey is the only ally Nucky has left so it'll be an interesting episode next!

Actually cant wait to see what happens to Gyp too. If he continues into next season I will be pissed. I think everyone is pretty much in agreement that Harrow is going to be the one to do it. Its going to tv at its finest.

EDIT: Jaysus I need to breath after watching BE episodes. I come on here and go full stream-of-consiousness on everyone. Apologies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,383 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think Nucky will take care of Maragaret. Unfortunately I mean that in the way we don't want him to "take care" of her. The look on his face said he realised what was going on, but he understood and accepted it.

I liked Owen, unless he was with Margaret. Don't know where the story's going with Van Alden. Completely differsnt person from when we first met him. And I like Richard being happy but at the same time if it means he gets into a more active role, I want him to lose that happiness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

Brilliant episode. Gyp Rosetti has to go, end of story.

So any suggestions where the next season is going?!

Historical
    I'm not sure if it's still 1923. I know at the start it was 1923 but was there an episode showing a new year? O'Bannion was killed in 1924 so that is going down at the start of next season. After that, I think we'll see the introduction of Bugs Moran and the war between Capone and the Irish gangs. I think they're going to pay attention to O'Bannion ripping off Torrio in a deal, then see Torrio stepping down. Capone will rise and perhaps we'll see the conflict between a new character, Elliot Ness and The Untouchables.

I think the big villan next season is going to be Masseria. With Gyp out of the way, Nucky will have to turn his attention to Masseria. Arnold Rothstein will be killed off next season too I'd imagine. If I remember, he was shot in 1928. They're probably going to have to make some timeline jumps next season or else completely fictionalise a series worth of material but I do enjoy the historical significance and very little happened between these events.

Not sure what they're going to do with van Alden and Harrow but Nucky will re-marry. So where does Margaret go? I think the end of next season will conclude with the St. Valentines Day Massacre. So it seems we're in for an exciting 4th season too. :) They're not going to skip over these events and jump straight into the Castellammarese War so as far as I can see, Masseria will be sticking around for a few seasons to come. We'll just have to wait a few years for Owen to be avenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Gyp is boring me....Loved the last episode,The scene with Owen in the box was magic.........Altho....Why would Nucky get up at 4am to open the package & Why after the bomb going off would he open a large package like that in the hotel?:o

I'll have more of "George Muller" please...Get him and Al together and back Nucky...Al might want to recruit Richard aswell...Which might lead to Richard replacing Owen

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Gyp is boring me....Loved the last episode,The scene with Owen in the box was magic.........Altho....Why would Nucky get up at 4am to open the package & Why after the bomb going off would he open a large package like that in the hotel?:o

I'll have more of "George Muller" please...Get him and Al together and back Nucky...Al might want to recruit Richard aswell...Which might lead to Richard replacing Owen

Capone backing Nucky would be great actually. Hadnt considered that.

To answer your question, I would have thought it was because he was waiting on news all day, so getting a package at that time of the morning warranted investigation. Although your right about the bomb aspect, thats a good point...

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Miprocin

Capone backing Nucky would be great actually. Hadnt considered that.
    Seems like it could be likely. With Remus gone, Capone needs a supplier...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Miprocin wrote: »
    Seems like it could be likely. With Remus gone, Capone needs a supplier...

True, and given VA's obsession with nailing Nucky previously he would seem the obvious choice....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Brilliant episode, not 100% sure it'll be Richard that kills Gyp.

I do predict a scene where Nucky is meeting with Capone and he sees Agent Harrow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Another great episode, especially with the meeting with Capone and Nucky. “You and me sit down and we talk about who dies.”

Also, it will be very interesting to see what Harrow does next week, preferably starting with making Gillian pay for that blind comment.

• Advertisement

What a tour de force of an episode from the very beginning! Easily the best episode of the season so far, which was helped by no Margaret (and I assume no Margaret next week either).

For a moment I thought Chalky and Purnsley had given up Nucky when they stopped the truck. I'm glad Chalky stayed loyal, but you couldn't have blamed him had he not. I think Chalky saw the same thing that Rothstein did earlier in the season i.e. Rosetti is way too much of a nut job to do business with. Hence Chalky's too old to make new friends remark.

The episode really had me on the edge until the very end, my heart even sank when Eli said "no...with him" when Nucky asked had he made a deal with Torrio....was expecting Gyp to walk out of the crowd rather than Capone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

CAPONE

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

WOW, just WOW, that was almost perfect TV, suspense, emotion, wonder, can't wait for next week now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

great episode. i can see Richard bringing a reign of terror to that brothel next week to rescue Tommy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

That was one of the best episodes of tv that i've seen in a while. It's rather impressive when you're not sure if the lead might get killed off. I never really doubted Chalky as he always tended to be one of the more loyal characters. Nucky has a ton of bodies associated with him now. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Great episode, loved Capone at the end, lets have a chat about who is goin to get killed :D

Lads if they keep churning out episodes like that, this show could be up there with The Sopranos and The Wire. Absolutely loved this season and that episode was television perfection. I didn't think they'd move things along that fast with Rosetti, didn't see Capone coming at all, and actually cheered out loud when he did (my housemates are judging me right now as I write this).

Even just spending an hour watching Steve Buscemi and Michael K Williams doing their thing with a great script was an absolute pleasure. Add to that one of the best villains on TV and the big reveal with Al ****ing Capone at the end and...wow, is the only word. Cannot WAIT for next week!

I love this thread. The sheer enthusiasm at the moment is class.

Corkfeen wrote: »
    That was one of the best episodes of tv that i've seen in a while. It's rather impressive when you're not sure if the lead might get killed off. I never really doubted Chalky as he always tended to be one of the more loyal characters. Nucky has a ton of bodies associated with him now. :pac:

Nucky won't get killed off. He's based on Nucky Johnson. He wasn't killed in real life.
    leggo wrote: »
    Absolutely loved this season and that episode was television perfection.

The last couple of episodes were great but I I thought the start of the season was extremely slow moving...for a while, I was going to give up on it tbh.

Here's the finale preview...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

As above, excellent episode and it's nice to see the build-up from throughout the season starting to pay off. It's going to be one hell of a finale next week. The fear and tension was very well played throughout.

One thing that paradoxically bothered me this week was Margaret's absence. I couldn't help but think about where she was and if her and the kids had been captured by Gyp's men. I know it was mentioned early on that they had been put on a carriage but it was never made clear where to. Ordinarily I can't wait for her to leave the screen.

Didn't the producers intentionally mis-name the main character to show that while it's based on some kind of historic event it's not a documentary and anyone can die at any stage, a bit like Spartacus :p

Can't wait to see next week's finale but I really don't want to watch the pre-view, I find that they usually show way too much details and give something away, please don't spoil it for me.

K3lso wrote: »
    The last couple of episodes were great but I I thought the start of the season was extremely slow moving...for a while, I was going to give up on it tbh.

That slow build and watching all of the chess pieces move into place is what sets HBO dramas apart from the rest for me. Used to love it with The Wire, how you'd go from being clueless as to what the opening title sequence meant to knowing bit-by-bit as the season unraveled. Plus the build up of Gyp and Van Alden's trials and tribulations kept the early season exciting, imo, while Nucky et al set up for what we're seeing now.

Oh man that episode was f*cking awesome!!! :D

Watching Richard laying out the guns, I won't lie I got a slight erection! :D

And Capone showing up at the end - class!

God I can't wait for next week now! :D

Dave! wrote: »
    Oh man that episode was f*cking awesome!!! :D

Watching Richard laying out the guns, I won't lie I got a slight erection! :D

And Capone showing up at the end - class!

God I can't wait for next week now! :D

Agreed on all points! It looks like all my favourite characters are going to war together and its going to be epic!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG.

That was fúcking EPIC!!!! I was cheering and clapping when Capone showed up haha. I don't see how they're gonna top that episode tbh.

• Advertisement

Ahh heyor, seeing Richard give it all of this will top it! :eek:

0.jpg

Especially if he shoots Jimmy's ma, the absolute c*nt!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

That was awesome, one of the best episodes of the series so far. I was always wondering what that stupid plot with Chalky and the medical student had to do with the season earlier on, and finally deliverance on it.

Loved the Capone reveal, although considering it's Capone, I can't see it going smoothly, although I do expect Harrow to add a lot more to the amount of people he's killed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

Well, that was an amazing hour of tv. Absolutely spine tingling last few minutes.

I did feel a bit weird that I jumped up, clapped my hands and rubbed them together when I saw Capone but i feel better after reading this thread.:pac:

This is why you shouldn't complain about the slow pace earlier on because it's all building up to this and my god have they set it up perfectly.

I am absolutely f*cking stoked for the finale. BRING IT ON:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,924 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

What an ending!! Sickened luciano got pinched, can't see him getting out of that one. I wonder if it was a coincidence that this episode was so good and there happened to be no sign or maaaaaargaretttt!

So gyp is using the brothel as his HQ. Nucky, eli, chalky and capone storm the brothel just as richard turns up to take out gillian. Could be possibly be the best tv episode of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I don't know - I don't think Richard will start a gunfight where the kid is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement