Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HBO [US] Boardwalk Empire **Spoilers**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭K3lso

leggo wrote: »
    I think anyone, except for Nucky and Capone, is on the chopping block. And, even with them, how many times did Jack Bauer 'die' in 24? So don't put it past the writers to have one of them shot and to leave it on a 'To Be Continued...' vibe. All of Harrow, Chalkey and Van Halden are ripe for a heroes death, to both redeem them of past wrongdoings and bring a tear to the viewers' eyes.

And Rosetti isn't necessarily a goner either. I mean, if I was a betting man, I'd be more inclined to put money on him dying than surviving. But still, with these scenarios, I try to think 'What makes it more interesting for the future?' (unless it's the last episode of a show altogether, in which case ask, 'What scenario ties up all loose ends and leaves people talking?') And Rosetti surviving, even defeated and disgraced, is much more interesting and unpredictable than him getting his comeuppance. So it's not beyond the realms of possibility at all.

If I was to make an actual prediction, I could see him
    narrowly avoiding the wrath of Nucky and Capone's gang, being well and truly beaten, before going back to find refuge in the whorehouse, only to walk into Harrow on a rampage.

Charles Luciano and his mate Meyer Lansky are not for the chopping block either. Luciano went on to create the Mafia in the form we know of today. Neither of them met a bad end, some would say unfortunately...(they were two bastards in real life). Torrio is also not for the chopping block and neither is Masseria (well, not this season or next anyway unless there's a massive time jump).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Dave! wrote: »
    Eliot Ness must be due to show up, right?

No idae of the dates at play here but surely not until Capone is well established no? Maybe they'll jump a couple of years next season and he'll be around then? That'll actually be a great addition to the story

K3lso wrote: »
    Charles Luciano and his mate Meyer Lansky
    are not for the chopping block either. Luciano went on to create the Mafia in the form we know of today. Neither of them met a bad end,
    some would say unfortunately...(they were two bastards in real life).
    Torrio is also not for the chopping block and neither is Masseria
    (
    well, not this season or next anyway unless there's a massive time jump
    ).

Jesus would people stop posting this stuff.

For crying out loud I don't know who most of these people are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Corkfeen wrote: »
    In regards to Torrio, a couple of episodes back he started to give Capone more responsibilities and i'm inclined to believe that he's authorised Capone to make the decisions. It is amazing how the overall episode quality rises when Margaret is absent. :pac:

I'm thankful she is in it becair she makes the other characters more effective and likable by comparison. I'm glad Slater is dead and I'm assuming she will die too....or they'll have half an episode devoted to her potato eating family in New York.

Jesus would people stop posting this stuff.

For crying out loud I don't know who most of these people are.

Yeh, have to agree. Is there any way we could just have a blanket ban on historical information about the show on here? It does nothing to enhance the enjoyment of the show, but certainly does a lot to inhibit it for those that dont know about the characters in real life.

...maybe others might disagree though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Yeh, have to agree. Is there any way we could just have a blanket ban on historical information about the show on here? It does nothing to enhance the enjoyment of the show, but certainly does a lot to inhibit it for those that dont know about the characters in real life.

Agree 100%.

I don't understand why some posters feel the need to tell us the fate of all the characters based on real life people, at least put it in spoiler tags if you want to show off your knowledge of Prohibition-era America. I'd also prefer no historical information at all though, it is a TV show after all.

Al Capone aside, I know very little of the other major players of this time, and I'd like to keep it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

dr gonzo wrote: »

100% disagree, its like trying to not spoil the end of the titanic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Except everyone knows what happens at the end of Titanic, not everyone knows the specific details of the US prohibition era beyond a handful of names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I honestly didn't know Nucky Thompson was based on a real person till I read this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭ironingbored

shrewdness wrote: »
    Al Capone aside, I know very little of the other major players of this time, and I'd like to keep it that way.

If you want some reading after the show is over, the life of Charles "Lucky" Luciano is fascinating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Everybody knows about Al Capone.
    Lucky Luciano is a far more entertaining tale when you read the wikipedia entry. Feel free to do so if you want to.
    However, the historical spoilers are becoming a bloody nuisance even if I'm one of the guilty parties..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Dermighty wrote: »
    I'm thankful she is in it becair she makes the other characters more effective and likable by comparison. I'm glad Slater is dead and I'm assuming she will die too....or they'll have half an episode devoted to her potato eating family in New York.

Are you for fookin real?? :rolleyes:

Fecking loved this episode,Am delighted with Eli's re-emergance as Nucky's no.2...Can't wait for Van Halen to be cracking skulls for Nucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Prop Joe wrote: »

Fecking loved this episode,Am delighted with Eli's re-emergance as Nucky's no.2...Can't wait for Van Halen to be cracking skulls for Nucky.

:eek::eek::eek:

And we thought Gyp looked a bit outlandish in his general's hat!:
    230779.jpg

He is Running With the Devil now, and theres gonna be an Eruption of violence... something something, Panama

tbh I think we can all agree that Margaret should Jump off a cliff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Eli is a snake it was his idea to have Nucky his brother taken out in the last series he should have got the bullet instead of Jimmy.

I cant see Van Alden being involved in the gun play, I know his morals have progressively been shot to **** over the last too series but behind it all he is a coward and i wouldnt be surprised if he spent the episode hiding in a closet or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Dave! wrote: »
    tbh I think we can all agree that Margaret should Jump off a cliff!

She may be annoying but I dont think the show would be as good without her.

She may be annoying but I dont think the show would be as good without her.

I sort of get where youre coming from... sort of

I might slightly agree that she helps to balance the show by being one of the few storylines not directly related to the bootlegging aspect, i.e. she grounds the show a bit, gives it another side.

All of which would be absolutely fine if she wasnt so utterly dreadful. Her accent is atrocious and her acting isnt much better. Plus, seriously, they got a Scottish actress anyway, why not the extra couple of miles and get an actress who actually has an Irish accent! Do not get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Yeah, I don't think it'd be all rosey for Van Alden if he's there with Capone.

Nucky: He was with the FBI!

Capone: WTF SHOOT HIM NOW!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

do you lads watch the preview for the finale its gonna be sweeeeeeet! richard tooled up to bits... i think nucky is gonna end up working for capone ...thats the price he has to pay for capones army

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Eli is a snake it was his idea to have Nucky his brother taken out in the last series he should have got the bullet instead of Jimmy.

What you say is definitely true about Eli, he really wasn't too likeable, a prick for selling out his brother and Nucky's disdain for him early in the season was entirely understandable...
    But I can't help but be totally caught up in his return to the top of the ladder and redemption of sorts, and usually I'm stubborn enough to resist those "redemption" storylines.
    Ever since he got out of prison he took his punishment and accepted that he had to go back to the bottom even below Mickey Doyle.
    I'm fascinated by his family life too. How awkward he was with his eldest son but it never went the way of the clichéd "You went away, this is my house now, waaaah" stuff, and how his wife is still sticking with him... I found it all quite touching (yeesh, never thought I'd say that, I'm an awful sap).

All that and he still has a nose for the crime world, he sensed the danger with Gyp but was ignored and proved right, and since then he's slowly becoming one of Nucky's go to guys.

They'll probably kill him now just to sicken me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Yeah, I don't think it'd be all rosey for Van Alden if he's there with Capone.

Nucky: He was with the FBI!

Capone: WTF SHOOT HIM NOW!!!!

I dunno. Of course, that's the risk and no doubt they'll play on that. But Nucky needs all the friends he can get right now. And he knows Van Alden would be on the run. So I think he'll settle for a knowing look and the satisfaction of knowing one of the agents formerly chasing him is now forced to fight on his behalf.

Capone was a psychopath but a very clever one. He'd keep Van Alden close and learn what he knew (then he might kill him). Van Alden as far as I know is fictional. However, bent feds on the take were pretty commonplace at the time.

Capone was a psychopath but a very clever one. He'd keep Van Alden close and learn what he knew (then he might kill him). Van Alden as far as I know is fictional. However, bent feds on the take were pretty commonplace at the time.

Eli Thompson for one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

finale tonight! does anyone know if it will be up on streaming sites tonight, given the time difference, or if i would be better off waiting for tomorrow? do ye think it will be an hour long as usual? seems like they will need to fit a lot in i would love if it was a bit longer..

finale tonight! does anyone know if it will be up on streaming sites tonight, given the time difference, or if i would be better off waiting for tomorrow? do ye think it will be an hour long as usual? seems like they will need to fit a lot in i would love if it was a bit longer..

60 mins according to IMDB ....http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2261328/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭ironingbored

9.00pm EST so that's 2am here. Doubt streams will be available immediately.

Yeah I guess not, tomorrow will have to do :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Skinhead Kane

I don't want to mention which site on here (PM me) but I've been getting HD downloads of BE for something like 300-400MB for free. Perfect quality, way better than streaming sites.

I'm dead excited for the season finale tonight, waking up at 6AM before school to watch it haha! How sad!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

if it's 3-400mb it's not hd...

You can usually find someone streaming it live on justin.tv if you're so inclined

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

big fracking finale tonight....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Skinhead Kane

if it's 3-400mb it's not hd...

On my iPad it is pure HDTV x264, I'm not sure about the computer though as I watch it on my iPad.
    There's also a 720p but that's 800-900MB which doesn't make a difference on the iPad in my opinion anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Can't believe some of you stay up to stream it. I download it as soon as I get home from work, but I have tomorrow off. :D

So, wake up, eat brekky and download the shít out of Boardwalk Empire, Dexter, Homeland & The Walking Dead. It's going to be a good day. :cool:

Jammy pig!

• Advertisement

Can't believe some of you stay up to stream it. I download it as soon as I get home from work, but I have tomorrow off. :D

So, wake up, eat brekky and download the shít out of Boardwalk Empire, Dexter, Homeland & The Walking Dead. It's going to be a good day. :cool:

I actually look forward to Mondays for the very same reason

Not for much longer :( Boardwalk, Homeland and Treme ending. Have to wait then for Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad and Mad Men to start back :(

I've never stayed up! Tonight would have been the exception though, after that trailer. But feck it, download the shít out of it while i'm in college, something to look forward to. Last time I watched it on the bus in the morning :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Good finale I thought, but not as good as last week. Was pretty much impossible to live up to anyway.

That Harrow scene was outstanding.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Good finale I thought, but not as good as last week. Was pretty much impossible to live up to anyway.

That Harrow scene was outstanding.

:D

It sure was - pure terminator, particularly his last kill!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

I would describe it as satisfying. Not as good as last week but it was never going to be.

We got to see the Harrow scene we were all hoping for. All the action parts were very good but what I really liked was after all the double crossing and scheming done to Nucky he came back and showed you just can't outsnake the king of all snakes.

The scene where Nucky met Gillian in the hallway gave me chills as even though she is an absolute cúnt Nucky made her like that. That scene just kind of hammered that home for me.

I reckon Luciano will feature a lot more next season which is a good thing as I've always liked him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

what I don't get is what's in it for the .. senator.. government fella

he wanted nucky to run the brewery so that he'd get some of the money from it.. why would he agree to sell it out to the feds just to settle one of nuckys scores, i don't see how nucky had anything to offer him that would make it a good choice for him.
    --edit

also I hope to christ this does mean the last of margaret. they could have fran drescher in the next season and she'd be less annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

so is that the last of Gillian ? i hope so for the kids sake although i kind of feel sorry for her, she was ****ed up in the head because of the abuse she had to go through when younger.

Great scene so it was with Harrow in the brothel amazingly filmed i thought.

Nice finale . Capone and Chalky bonding over a mutual love of mass murder, Luciano learning what real organised crime looks like - thats a lesson AR may regret teaching, and Terminator Harrow in the wind and possibly looking for a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just finished watching it there now too..

Good finalé but as already said, it wasn't as powerful as last week's - Harrow going all Terminator though was excellent. He's a damn good shot for a guy with half his face missing. Not surprised at how that ended - as someone said previously, he's too tragic a character to live happily ever after.

I really hope Margaret is now gone for good. As usual her scenes just served to distract from the main story and added nothing. Surprised Nucky tried to get her back though.

As above, I'm not sure why the Secretary would agree to sell out AR though, unless he just doesn't like him or they crossed paths before?

Poor Gyp.. not unexpected, but I would've thought Nucky would have handled it himself.. Unless, unlike Jimmy, he just didn't figure Gyp was worth getting his hands dirty.

Gillian got what she deserved though.. Can't see her returning next season.

Looks like we're going to see a harder, all business Nucky from here on out too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I thought that was fantastic. The Harrow scene, Nucky getting Rothstein and Masseria, Capone and Chalkey coming together to take out all Masseria's men.

My take on the Secretary selling out Rothstein was that the other guy was threatening him. Didn't really see any other reason why he would do it

Also, looks like Margaret could be gone for good, which would be brilliant. My only problem, and with other storylines not really wrapped it isn't going to happen ( and I think a season 4 was already confirmed), but the final scene with Nucky on the boardwalk felt like a final scene, and not just an ending of a season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

I thought it was a very good episode, I liked the way they closed out a lot of the story lines they had going well except for Van Alden, bit disappointed we didn't get to see him.

Have to say I think Stephen Graham is a great actor, I hope we get to see a lot more of him next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Just seen this on the interntet a Q&A with Terence Winter.
    In the following Q&A, Boardwalk Empire boss Terence Winter answers all your finale burning questions, including doozies like, Is Gillian dead? Was that Margaret’s final episode? Is there a future for Richard and Julia? And is Nucky 100 percent gangster now?

TVLINE | Gyp and Gillian’s big S&M seduction scene – what was that day on the set like?
    [Laughs] Very tense. Completely professional. Both of them were at the top of their games. But it was very tense, very cat-and-mousy, very sexy. And it was also fun, too. Even [with] the most tense, dramatic scenes there’s a lot of laughter. We really have a great time doing the show.

TVLINE | Did Gretchen Mol and Bobby Cannavale improv any of that?
    No. There’s almost no improvisation on this show.

TVLINE | Are you sad to see that dynamic end so soon after it began?
    Absolutely. The temptation is to want to keep things alive, keep taking the same ride over and over again. For us as storytellers, the challenge is to do something different. People couldn’t imagine how we could continue the show without Jimmy Darmody. And that’s our challenge as storytellers. In a way you almost [have to] reboot the series and figure it out. And that’s what we’ll do now that we don’t have Gyp.

TVLINE | For the record, Gillian did not die from that injection, correct?
    That’s correct. She’s not dead.

TVLINE | The Richard and Julia romance ended on an unsettlingly ambiguous note. Do you have big plans for them heading into Season 4?
    I can’t really say. Certainly, both of them will still be on the show. Where that storyline goes you’ll have to tune in next September.

TVLINE | Her father really came around. What did seeing Richard standing there all bloodied trigger in him?
    That took him back to his own days as a soldier. The one level on which these guys can see eye-to-eye and relate to each other is as soldiers. It awakened in him a newfound respect in Richard. Obviously, [he realized that Richard] has been through some horrific situation involving little [Tommy] and he respected that.

TVLINE | Will Season 4 usher in a new Big Bad to replace Gyp?
    All I’ll say is there will be new challenges and new conflicts for Nucky. You don’t want to repeat yourself. It’s not just going to be the “Villain Of the Year.” That said, certainly, the essence of drama is conflict and it’s not going to be easy being Nucky Thompson.

TVLINE | Margaret has always been a guarded character. Will the one-two-three punch of Owen’s murder, her abortion and subsequent break-up with Nucky harden her further?
    Again, hard to say. I don’t want to give anything away.

TVLINE | Can you confirm that Kelly Macdonald is still a part of the show?
    Absolutely.

TVLINE | The tagline going into this season was “You Can’t Be Half a Gangster.” At the end of the finale, where does Nucky fall on the gangster spectrum?
    He’s completely crossed the line. He’s full gangster. One of the last things he says to Eli is, “I don’t want anyone coming near us that we don’t already know.” Even the guy on the boardwalk at the end says, “Hey, you’re Nucky Thompson,” and Nucky just sort of stares him down. He gets it. He can’t be the glad-handing public figure anymore. He’s got to go underground. He’s got to keep his distance. I think Nucky has learned that lesson.

TVLINE | Nucky and Eli appear to be a pretty solid team heading into Season 4.
    That relationship has been rehabilitated — to the extent it could be rehabilitated, given the fact that Eli tried to have him killed — although Nucky doesn’t really know that Eli was exactly the guy who [did] that. But they are as close as can be given their past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

TVLINE | Can you confirm that Kelly Macdonald is still a part of the show?
    Absolutely.

Ah damnit! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

I'm more disappointed by the fact that Gillian isn't dead. Least favourite character on the show. I can tolerate Margaret to an extent.

It had its ups and downs, but I think that season 3 was the strongest yet. Better than 2 and a hell of a lot better than 1. Gyp couldn't have had a more fitting end.

So what's on next week? I have a Boardwalk shaped hole in my life to fill. Not Treme, please.

• Advertisement
Advertisement