Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HBO [US] Boardwalk Empire **Spoilers**

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It doesn't make any sense that Gillian didn't die, I mean surely she was going for the whole death by overdose thing. So how did she not die!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Al Capone with a **** eating grin, a cigar in his mouth and a machine gun. Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Felt slightly let down, though that is probably down to having to follow arguably the best episode of the entire series.

The fact that there were no major casualties was quite surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

It doesn't make any sense that Gillian didn't die, I mean surely she was going for the whole death by overdose thing. So how did she not die!?!

Perhaps she was supposed to be trying the same as last time and she was going to kill him by hand after subduing him with the injection. Makes no sense though, why would she measure out a non-lethal dose? Why not just bomb it in?

The only thing I can think of is that she would try to play it off as accidental choking. I'd say everyone knew he had a penchant for the choke and tug after the last time.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Very good finale.

Was I alone in chanting "Shoot! Shoot! Shoot!" when Nucky stood in the hallway facing Margaret?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,383 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Disappointed we didn;t get to see Van Alden but great episode. Especially Harrow.
    You think the guy hiding in the cupboard when Eli and Nucky were there provided info on where Gyp was?

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Rega

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Disappointed we didn;t get to see Van Alden but great episode. Especially Harrow.
    You think the guy hiding in the cupboard when Eli and Nucky were there provided info on where Gyp was?

That's the guy that killed Gyp. Reading between the lines, Nucky and Eli found him and made a deal. His life for Gyp's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Gyps guys wouldn't,t have needed much persuading to retire him anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭K3lso

Rega wrote: »
    That's the guy that killed Gyp. Reading between the lines, Nucky and Eli found him and made a deal. His life for Gyp's.

Don't forget that that was the same guy who's cousin was killed by Gyp earlier in the season...remember they buried him with only his head above the sand on the beach? Fitting end to Gyp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Richard's shooting spree alone made it worthwhile. Second time in as many weeks I've shouted "YESSS!!!" at the telly.

I thought I'd nailed what I said last week when Rosetti got away to the beach, but his downfall was spectacularly OTT (thus, fitting) and really had to be on the cards to bring Nucky back to full strength.

Loved the opening sequence. Also loved how Nucky moved the chess pieces around. Showing Rothstein acting smug with Luciano was a perfect way to set up the twist, too. Without giving away historical spoilers for future episodes, did that all actually happen or what percentage is them using their artistic licence?

I'm actually glad Margaret will be kept on. While I never particularly look forward to her scenes, I think her role offers us a good insight into day-to-day life at the time, which makes it a more fully rounded show.

My only small complaint is that I could've done with a bit more Capone after how they finished last week's episode. Maybe that's how it all actually played out, but then don't build it up as if he's a bigger game-changer than he actually turned out to be.

Still reeling tbh. I'm not sure if it's actually possible to top last week's episode...but I'm happy enough right now with how they ended it. Loved that entire series, mainly because of Rosetti, and can't wait for next year now. They've done an amazing job at steering this back from being just another HBO-standard series to being a GREAT HBO show. Another couple of series like that and it'll be up there with the best for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Haha I enjoyed it obviously not as good as last week. I did laugh at Gyp at the end with his Googles talk and a fitting way for him to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

So whats the deal with Mickey. Was he instructed by Nucky to ring Rothstein or did he do it of his own accord and then Nucky took advantage of that? If its the latter then he probably want be around much longer. Really hope he stays on, great character for a bit of comic relief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Harrow going all Terminator was a blast and had me cheering at the tv, was terrified he'd get killed or would accidentally kill Tommy though.

The final episode was mostly all satisfying, I felt a little cheated that we didn't get a Nucky/Gyp showdown though, I felt the entire series was building up to that event which never happened.

Just a question on something that I didn't really understand first time out, why did Chalky and Capone massacre Massaria's men when they were withdrawing? Was that on Nucky's orders?

Show needs more Capone as well tbh, I'd happily watch a spinoff with him as the central character, Stephen Graham is brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Roar wrote: »
    why did Chalky and Capone massacre Massaria's men when they were withdrawing? Was that on Nucky's orders?
    Yeah, Nucky knew rothstein has done a deal with Massaria as rothstein had demanded 99% of the distillery. Nucky was getting back at Rothstein/Massaria by attacking those men as they left. Then at the end of the episode he sent Gyp's body with a truce offer to Massaria.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Roar wrote: »
    The final episode was mostly all satisfying, I felt a little cheated that we didn't get a Nucky/Gyp showdown though, I felt the entire series was building up to that event which never happened.

I thought that was funny given how this war started (Gyp, suffering from a clear inferiority complex, feeling slighted by Nucky). Nucky, unlike with Jimmy, didn't even have enough respect or care for the guy to deal with him personally. Instead, he just relegated the task to Gyp's own goon. I wonder how Gyp felt about that in his final moments as that really was the ultimate slight handed down by Nucky. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

So whats the deal with Mickey. Was he instructed by Nucky to ring Rothstein or did he do it of his own accord and then Nucky took advantage of that? If its the latter then he probably want be around much longer. Really hope he stays on, great character for a bit of comic relief.

I quite liked that bit, good way for getting revenge against those who wouldn't support him.

Well, I suppose we can guess that Mickey was told to contact Rothstein, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy to take initiative. Initially I thought he was going to turn on Nucky and offer to join Rothstein's crew, the brewery being his buy in.

Either way I hope he won't be around much longer, his laugh and mannerisms are so bloody annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

I quite liked that bit, good way for getting revenge against those who wouldn't support him.

Well, I suppose we can guess that Mickey was told to contact Rothstein, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy to take initiative. Initially I thought he was going to turn on Nucky and offer to join Rothstein's crew, the brewery being his buy in.

Either way I hope he won't be around much longer, his laugh and mannerisms are so bloody annoying.

Yep I reckon Mickey was in on it, after his chat with Eli while fixing the car he realized what he had that others wanted the distillary, and the way he let Eli listen in on the phone call seemed to suggest they were expecting the propitiation also Nucky agreed to it very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Never thought I would be critical of BE for moving too quickly but that ep crammed an awful lot in to an hour,will prob have to watch it again to appreciate it fully. Is was great to see Nucky orchestrate his way back from the brink and take down AR at the same time. And Richards spree in the brothel was brilliant.

Watching Richards last scene at the house it felt as tho hes not gonna be coming back, Did anyone else think this?

Gyps death was amazing I think he knew his friend was gonna kill him tho.

Annoyed about 2 things no Van Alden and Gillian lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

great finale to a quality season imho. Just wondering what happened to Nelson Van Alden as the last I remember was he got a fork in the cheek from Al Capone?

• Advertisement

I did laugh when Rothstein was on the phone to Doyle. Rothstein is normally so calm and composed but it was clear that having to talk to Doyle for even a minute was beginning to piss him off :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

what happened to Nelson Van Alden

His story in this series was awful. The most pointless character in a series ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

His story in this series was awful. The most pointless character in a series ever.
    How was it awful? We saw him go on the run and saw his relationship with his nutter wife grow and become very funny. He is also turning into a mini bootlegger and now getting involved with one mob or another. The scene where he flipped at work was also superb. You clearly havent seen much television if hes the most pointless character ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

pretty much as has been said a great series with the last two episodes being very good (Blown away by episode 11 ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

That was a fantastic season finale, absolutely fantastic.

Had a freakout with Harrow, that was beyond awesome. The episode in general was a fetish of tommy guns and old school gangster action. Simply incredible.

Here is hoping for a next season

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Skinhead Kane

Wake me up when September starts

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Al Capone is on 8 out of 10 cats now on Channel 4

Edit: DO NOT WATCH if you haven't seen the second last episode of the last series, major spoliers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

First time posting in this thread this year as we were watching on Sky Atlantic and didn’t want any spoiler alerts. Episode 11 was so amazing; we just couldn’t wait until Saturday night so we downloaded the final episode and watched it last night. Overall, I thought it was a fantastic season finale, didn’t have the shock factor of last years, but wrapped everything up none the less. Richard going postal in the brothel was fantastic; he really is a superb actor. I’m glad that Julia is back in it next year, I am still holding out for a happy ending for Richard, but as previously said; I think he is too tragic a character to have a happy ending.

I was slightly disappointed with Gyp’s ending, he is such an incredible character and Bobby Cannavale is such a great actor, I just felt his death should have been more spectacular. I thought his scene with Gillian was excellent; it was just one of those scenes that at the end you realised you were holding your breath the whole time. I can see the point about him not being relevant enough to warrant Nucky pulling the trigger, but maybe Chalky or Al could have been the one to take him down. Gillian wouldn’t be my favourite character, but I’m quite glad she’s still alive. I thought her scene with Nucky was moving, yes she’s a total nutter, but Nucky had a big part in making her that way. Will be interesting to see where her character goes, she has been left with nothing now so I could see her going really crazy.

The ending with Nucky tearing the flower out of his lapel was intriguing; I think we are going to see a much tougher, less garrulous Nucky in the next season. It’s amazing how far his character has come since the early episodes where he was a loveable rogue and crooked Politian. His metamorphosis into full blown, stone cold gangster has been subtle and cleverly done, it shows Steve Buscemi’s skill as an actor also.

As for this series as a whole, it was excellent, but not perfect by any means. For me, the first few episodes dragged a bit and Margaret was given far too much screen time. I can see that her character was a foil for the constant gangster action, but the whole story about her at the hospital was pointless and boring, I found myself fast forwarding through those scenes as time went on. If they had just had her story line of her getting closer to Eoin, then her character wouldn’t have been as dull and it would have freed up screen time for some of the more interesting characters.

Which brings me to my second issue with this series; I found there were just too many characters for a twelve episode series. Some really interesting characters (like Luciano and Al) got little or no screen time and other less interesting characters like Margaret and Gillian, got too much. While Van Alden was my favourite character from last year, his story really went nowhere. Michael Shannon is an amazing actor and when you were watching him, you felt like you were watching a pressure cooker that could go off at any moment, but at the end of the series you were left with a whimpering mess. It was a bit anti climactic but hopefully he will feature more in season 4.

Overall though, it was a fantastic season and episode 11 in particular was some of the best television I have ever seen. It really sets things up nicely for an amazing series 4….. is it September yet????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Have to say I smirk whenever he arrives on screen. Annoying but funny. Which character said to him during Season 3, "how the f**k are you still alive?" or something like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

He's probably my favorite character, I start grinning whenever he's in a scene, Rothstein might have him killed for the thing with the distillery though.

• Advertisement

Anyone seen "Seven Psychopaths"? I found the opening scene very distracting!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

2 new roles are being cast for episode 4.01: Dickey Pastor, who is a 35-year-old talent promoter, and his wife Cora, who will possibly be recurring and may have nude scenes.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2013/01/boardwalk-empire-episode-401-2-roles.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I've only finished the series due to a mixture of college work and technical issues.

The penultimate episode is one of the greatest episodes of any show that I've seen. I'd put it up there with Pine Barrens and The Son from FNL. The only fault that I can find with it is that Van Alden didn't make an appearance.

On the issue of Van Alden, whoever said he's a pointless character hasn't a clue what they're on about. Michael Shannon is a sensational actor. He has portrayed Van Alden's descent into a world of crime absolutely perfectly. My only gripe is that he doesn't get enough screentime. I'd put that down to the fact that there are so many other things going on though.

I really Al takes centre stage in the next season. They have set him up nicely in my opinion. Again, Stephen Graham is an amazing actor. He deserves a larger role.

I don't think I hate Margaret as much as a lot of people on here, but I'm pretty bored of her. I hope her scenes are limited severely next season.

The chemistry between Nucky and Chalkie was superb. As it was between Al and Chalkie. The common-factor in all of that? Michael K. Williams. He's such a talent. Makes me really excited for the Ol' Dirty Bastard film that he's starring in.

I'm really looking forward to the next season. Even if it's ****e we'll always have Two Impostors to look back on in a few years. What an amazing episode.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Is Johnny Torrio still around or has he just completely given full control of his crew to Al?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,995 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Domenick Lombardozzi, Ron Livingston and Brian Geraghty have joined the cast for season 4

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Domenick Lombardozzi

Knew I recognised that name. Hate him after The Wire. Hope he gets killed by Richard in the first episode.
    Ron Livingston

On the other hand, I love Ron after his appearance in Band of Brothers. I hope he doesn't get shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

Knew I recognised that name. Hate him after The Wire. Hope he gets killed by Richard in the first episode......

Jaysus, that's a bit harsh. Do you hate him because of how Herc turned out? Or just dislike him as an actor.

Jaysus, that's a bit harsh. Do you hate him because of how Herc turned out? Or just dislike him as an actor.

Ha. I hate him because of how Herc turned out. He's a good actor. He worked well with Carver.

It seems that he's going to play Ralph Capone, the older brother of Al. His nickname was Bottles and was 'Public Enemy Number Three' at one stage. He shouldn't be a dull character anyway.

Ha. I hate him because of how Herc turned out. He's a good actor. He worked well with Carver.

It seems that he's going to play Ralph Capone, the older brother of Al. His nickname was Bottles and was 'Public Enemy Number Three' at one stage. He shouldn't be a dull character anyway.

I get you, Herc was a bit of snake. Sold out his friends for his own well being really.

Still, I like him as an actor too. He'll make a good angry, violent Italian-American gangster!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

wat
    herc was the only one who landed on his feet properly in the wire with the possible exception of freeman

he left the gang system, police v drugs v government and made a life for himself.
    at the end of the show he and freeman are the only people that aren't broken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

wat
    herc was the only one who landed on his feet properly in the wire with the possible exception of freeman

he left the gang system, police v drugs v government and made a life for himself.
    err, doesn't he end up working for Levy?

yeah. he's the only one that managed to pull himself out of the futile back and forth between the players in the drug war. everybody else is busy banging their heads against the wall either trying to make money/cases/power but herc is actually making a life for himself, he's free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

He was still good,
    the department fcuked him over after he lost that camera, he gave them Marlos new cell number that he stole from the lawayers office which was the key to the whole end of the series, Mcnulty seemed to end on a positive note aswell...

yeah but he was just doing a favour for a friend with marlos number. thought of another person who managed to get free too, poot. working in that shoe shop :)

really all mcnulty did at the end was try to undo his main unjustifiable ****up in the final season, bringing that guy back home. don't know that he has any peace of mind or is any less a ****up than he was during the show.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I love Herc in The Wire, really critical part to play after just really starting off as a head knocker. I also loved the part he played in Entourage as well, as the friend who just got out of the big house. I think that he also had a part in Oz.

I think he will be very well suited to BoardWalk and he even has a bit of a resemblence to Al Capone.

• Advertisement

wat

I don't think he did really. It looked like he
    turned himself around after getting kicked off the police. He even expressed regret in one episode for all the people he hurt when he was a cop. Giving Marlo's number to Carver was a another good step too. However in the last episode, he was the one who told Levy the police were using an illegal wiretap, when it was him who gave the number to them. This ensured Marlo got off going to prison while Herc became a trusted member of Levy's firm. So Herc didn't really change, he stayed looking out only for himself, in my opinion anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Lads enough of The Wire chat please. :o

Domenick Lombardozzi was great as Ray on Breakout Kings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Mr E wrote: »
    Lads enough of The Wire chat please. :o

Everything always comes back to the Wire Mr E :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement