Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HBO [US] Boardwalk Empire **Spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Diddy Kong wrote: »
    Was good to see Nucky protecting himself with the girl, but still leaving himself open with Dicky's murder. Also seems to be setting up his nephew for a role down the line with his comment - "we are all counting on you".
    Echoes of the Godfather / the Kennedy's etc. there? Needs an accountant to clean the money and set himself up legitimately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Sleepy wrote: »
    Echoes of the Godfather / the Kennedy's etc. there? Needs an accountant to clean the money and set himself up legitimately?

Or a puppet in front to hide behind, he has form for pulling the strings behind the scenes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

snausages wrote: »
    Anyone think Harrow has kind of run his course? I like him a lot but I think the season 3 finale felt like a logical closure point for him. He avenged Jimmy's wife and rescued their son. I think because he's so popular the writers might be afraid to write him out. They shouldn't need to kill him on-screen or anything but if he sticks around too long I think it'd be to the character's deteriment.

I'm not sure how i would want Harrow to end....part of me hopes he finds a girl and has a child and lives the rest of his life happy, but would that be a BE ending?....or would he go out in a blaze of gun fire and take out 100 guys........

Dunno, i wish for the fairytale but i expect horror.....:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

I'm not sure how i would want Harrow to end....part of me hopes he finds a girl and has a child and lives the rest of his life happy, but would that be a BE ending?....or would he go out in a blaze of gun fire and take out 100 guys........

Dunno, i wish for the fairytale but i expect horror.....:(

I think that last scene with his sister would be a perfect ending for him, and would be more than happy if we don't see him again. Its his resolution, he finally went home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Harrow is probably being buried deep plotwise, As the 20s progress men like him come into more demand. No history lesson on this one - it gets bloodier as the 20s move towards the 30s.
    See you in two seasons, you two-faced / nutjob / nice person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Sorry but who is Richard killing and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Thargor wrote: »
    Sorry but who is Richard killing and why?

I'm not sure but my best guess would be, they are involved with a corrupt insurance company that have been screwing disabled war vets out of claims.

I'm not sure but my best guess would be, they are involved with a corrupt insurance company that have been screwing disabled war vets out of claims.

Good man himself - any chance I can pm Richard the details of some VHI people that come to my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just stuck on ep 2 here now.. haha - what a first scene!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Another solid episode.

I like the addition of Valentine and he should make for a very interesting central antagonist (let's face it, for all of Rosetti's scene stealing he was just a delusional nutjob and not much of an adversary for Nucky without Masseria's men).

Also good to see that the introduction of Valentine will likely mean Purnsley and Chalky getting more screen time. Two characters that were really underused last season and who deserve bigger roles in the overall storyline over the likes of Eli, Margaret, Gillian, etc etc.....

I'm also glad to see Eddie given more responsibility but something tells me he's in for a fall (and will probably end up getting cuffed by Hoover's agent while doing jobs for Nucky).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Really enjoyed that episode. Lots of stuff set up without any seeming rushed. Absolutely loving that we're getting to see inside the beginning of the FBI. More than likely will be a plot that'll be developed over several seasons, which is a good thing as the writers probably have some very clear ideas of where they're taking the show (unlike some others... Dexter *cough*).
    Not sure how long Valentine is gonna last but he certainly seems an interesting character, I do sort of hope he's not simply going to be this year's Gyp Rosetti but even if he is it wouldn't really be a bad thing. We'll be getting much more Chalky and Purnsley at the very least.
    Chicago is brewing nicely too. Chicago has been moving along relatively quietly over much of the last three seasons so I'd imagine things will be picking up pace there soon. I know Stephen Graham get a lot of praise for Capone but it really is amazing how he can flip between having some of the most comical and slapstick scenes in the whole show while always having a threatening air of menace about him.
    And obviously it's great to have Van Alden back in the mix too. After two seasons in the dumps I'd imagine he'll start climbing up the ladder again this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Has everyone given up on this show all of a sudden? :(

Great to see Van Alden back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Another very good episode,setting things up nicely. No Margaret again,and its only a good thing. Does anyone know if she has been dropped from the show or should we expect her to be shoe horned back in at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I love the name mr.purnsley

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

tvnutz wrote: »
    Does anyone know if she has been dropped from the show or should we expect her to be shoe horned back in at some stage.

we couldn't be that lucky, she'll be back :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

we couldn't be that lucky, she'll be back :/

Her name still shows up in the credits at the start so yeah unfortunately looks like she'll be back

Oh dear, Hoover and the Criminal Assets Bureau have arrived to look at the books. I wonder will we see him in a ballgown before this is out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Rather boring episode. I don't really care about Harrow and his sister, Eli's son in college and whatever Jimmy's mom is doing.

• Advertisement

i'd watch an entire series about harrow and his sister, if jimmys mom would make the odd cameo. eli's son and his erection doesn't really interest me that much though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Seemed like a filler episode really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

felt like bioshock there for a minute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

excellent episode things are brewing nicely so far

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It's quite a change in storyline so far. I'm not sure of the point of the 3 episode Richard arc with his sister other than perhaps that he can't ever live with his sister, and what is the point of junkie Gillian and the lad from Early Edition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,606 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

5starpool wrote: »
    It's quite a change in storyline so far. I'm not sure of the point of the 3 episode Richard arc with his sister other than perhaps that he can't ever live with his sister, and what is the point of junkie Gillian and the lad from Early Edition?

That's not the guy from early edition.

i thought it was him too at first, but it's yer man from office space

they do look ridiculously similar

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

i thought it was him too at first, but it's yer man from office space

they do look ridiculously similar

Yes, that's where I actually know him from.

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Renewed :cool:

I heard a rumour that season 5 might be the last. I guess that's ok and all but I wonder what kind of endgame the creators have in mind if it is? How do you end something like Boardwalk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I heard a rumour that season 5 might be the last. I guess that's ok and all but I wonder what kind of endgame the creators have in mind if it is? How do you end something like Boardwalk?

I wouldn't like that, I was hoping they would show how Nucky manages his empire right through to when prohibition was repealed?

I wouldn't like that, I was hoping they would show how Nucky manages his empire right through to when prohibition was repealed?

That's a very large space of time to be dealing with in a series like this though. Anyway the rumour might be unsubstantiated but both the last two series have seen a ratings decline so who knows.

Knocking off in season five (about 1925-1926) would make sense historically. Historical spoliers ahead for the squeamish -
    The power of professional amateurs like Nucky ends and full time gangsters like Al, Lucky and Meyer begins. We've already seen heroin being moved through the same channels as booze. Hoover has already made an appearance and won't be going away. Anything apart from full-time gangsters will either be dead, subservient or going straight fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Very good episode this week. Loved the stuff with Capone, his brother and Van Alden, and then Lansky and Rothstein.

As for when it's ended, if it can do two more seasons (will need some jump forwards) it could end with HISTORICAL SPOILERS
    Capone in trouble with Elliot Ness in 1929, Rothstein's death in 1928, Luciano being attacked in 1929 which gave him lots of publicity, him starting relations with future mob leaders and the beginnings of the National Crime Syndicate which was hosted in Atlantic City

That would give a suitable ending for the main characters, and a way for Nucky to bow out or be forced out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Boardwalk really can make even the most plain things in life seem interesting, like eating dinner with a stranger or a game of cards. The dialogue just sizzles along and the acting is pretty damn flawless. I actually feel no need to try and work out where a story line might go or what might happen to a character but just want to sit back and enjoy it.
    I know some people don't like its slow plot pacing but I think that sort of misses the point, it's more of a Mad Men type of drama now where it's all about the development of characters and changes in the relationships between characters.
    As for this week, I think the biggest thing to come out of it was finally seeing a real weakness of Rothstein's. He had nearly always been shown as a really cold, calculating character that never let emotion get in the way of making money. Meyer looks like he could become a real player now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

As for this week, I think the biggest thing to come out of it was finally seeing a real weakness of Rothstein's. He had nearly always been shown as a really cold, calculating character that never let emotion get in the way of making money. Meyer looks like he could become a real player now though.

Yeah,
    Arnold Rothstein ended up being murdered for failing to pay back a debt from a poker game, which sent his organisation into a spiral. Rothstein was infamous for being a winner in poker, the apt line in this episode was " learning to lose". Rothstein was remarked to have lost a high stake poker game, to which he never recovered, until he ran up such large debts from losses it ended in his murder. As Rothstein moved into more and more losses, he would frequently blame dealers, obscure conditions in rooms, and just about anything. Very neatly placed was his request to change a brand new deck. It's subtle, but if you like your gangster history, it's a real " oooo" moment. He is finally starting to slip.

Meyers buy into Tampa, is starting his rise to power. If your not familiar, Meyer was one of the most intellegent and evasive criminals of that era. He was a main stakeholder in creating the Syndicate. His investment outlined in the show in Tampa, is mirroring that of when Meyer first became involved in Florida with his first large investment on his own which set him the platform to go onto the things he did

As a lover of mob history, the show is hitting things nail on the head, and it's just so impressive watching the rise and fall and arrival of characters and how they are going about their journey.

I spoilered the above which is pretty much fact in terms of the history, and I can envisage what will probably happen in the show. Just spoilered for those not familiar with mob history. :)

TheDoc wrote: »
    Yeah,
    Arnold Rothstein ended up being murdered for failing to pay back a debt from a poker game, which sent his organisation into a spiral. Rothstein was infamous for being a winner in poker, the apt line in this episode was " learning to lose". Rothstein was remarked to have lost a high stake poker game, to which he never recovered, until he ran up such large debts from losses it ended in his murder. As Rothstein moved into more and more losses, he would frequently blame dealers, obscure conditions in rooms, and just about anything. Very neatly placed was his request to change a brand new deck. It's subtle, but if you like your gangster history, it's a real " oooo" moment. He is finally starting to slip.

I feel like I miss out on an awful lot by not reading up on the history before watching. Knowing the context doesn't so much spoil it as it enhances the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

When is this back on Sky?

I feel like I miss out on an awful lot by not reading up on the history before watching. Knowing the context doesn't so much spoil it as it enhances the moment.

It's fascinating stuff, and now that it is all so long in the past the indepth analysis and commentry available is breathtaking. The rise and fall of organised crime of that era, is just frightening to read about.

Boardwalk empire is for me capturing it brilliantly. Jimmy Darmody is a totally fictional character, used brilliantly to intertwine and connect what is essentially the start and "idea" of a country wide syndicate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 397 ✭✭welkin

That scene with Bottles Capone and Eddie Kessler in the German Bar was one of the best scenes I've seen in Boardwalk Empire, was class. I looked up Eddie on Wikipedia and apparently the guy playing him is a famous opera singer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,606 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

boobar wrote: »
    When is this back on Sky?
    Boardwalk Empire starts on Oct 26th @9pm Sky Atlantic

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

welkin wrote: »
    That scene with Bottles Capone and Eddie Kessler in the German Bar was one of the best scenes I've seen in Boardwalk Empire, was class. I looked up Eddie on Wikipedia and apparently the guy playing him is a famous opera singer!

Yea, was a great scene, all the lads singing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

That was really sad. I'd grown to really like him. It seemed completely unexpected but looking back I guess I should have seen it coming. I was fiddling with my phone replying to a text in the final moments of the episodes when my face just dropped and I had to go back. RIP Eddie :(

Opr

Van Alden's reaction to his first line of coke is classic. "Curious. Must Try More Later. EXTERMINATE"
    Anybody see the bit where he showed he had a gun and sort of waved it in Al's direction. I think if the other guy had given the nod...Al was retiring far too early from history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Van Alden's reaction to his first line of coke is classic. "Curious. Must Try More Later. EXTERMINATE"
    Anybody see the bit where he showed he had a gun and sort of waved it in Al's direction. I think if the other guy had given the nod...Al was retiring far too early from history.

The whole point of that scene is that Van Alden is thinking about shooting Al. The brother spots this and is pulling a gun to shoot Van Alden before he gets a chance to shoot Al but is gunned down just as he's drawing his gun.

Opr

Eh? He very clearly was about to kill Al. And the "other guy" was his brother, who was about to pull his gun on Van Alden.

Good episode though, looking forward to Capone stepping up a gear. I'd put money on Eddie still being alive.

Didn't know "other guy" was Al's brother. Would that really have made a difference in Chez Al ? I mean we know what happened to Fredo :).
    If the Capone family could rewrite history, Al taking a bullet about the time his God complex got introduced to cocaine might have been wise timing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 397 ✭✭welkin

opr wrote: »
    RIP Eddie :(

R.I.P Eddie my foot:

1)He ran off on his wife and kids with a young one from the lingerie dept.

2)Ripped off the department store where he worked.

3)Sang like a bird on the only person who cared about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Miprocin

Didn't know "other guy" was Al's brother. Would that really have made a difference in Chez Al ? I mean we know what happened to Fredo :).
    If the Capone family could rewrite history, Al taking a bullet about the time his God complex got introduced to cocaine might have been wise timing.

It was made quite clear that it was Frank Capone.

I was sorry to see Eddie go though I had a feeling he was going to off himself after I saw him leaving the interrogation

Good episode, really enjoyed it.

Only question I have, is what information did Van Alden share with Al in the morgue, as to how his brother was shot. I didn't catch it, something about special detectives ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement