Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HBO [US] Boardwalk Empire **Spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

TheDoc wrote: »
    Good episode, really enjoyed it.

Only question I have, is what information did Van Alden share with Al in the morgue, as to how his brother was shot. I didn't catch it, something about special detectives ?

Special detectives from Chicago who had heard that the local police were not to be trusted. Its too early for Elliot Ness and the Untouchables to be in business but something along those lines was the impression I got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Special detectives from Chicago who had heard that the local police were not to be trusted. Its too early for Elliot Ness and the Untouchables to be in business but something along those lines was the impression I got.

That's what I thought I heard but it made absolutely zero sense.

Detectives absolutely maiming a bloke to bits. Didn't seem to make much sense to me, I though initially it was maybe the flower guys men, and maybe it will transpire that way, I don't know, just didn't seem legit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

That's what I thought I heard but it made absolutely zero sense.

Detectives absolutely maiming a bloke to bits. Didn't seem to make much sense to me, I though initially it was maybe the flower guys men, and maybe it will transpire that way, I don't know, just didn't seem legit.
    Frank Capone was killed by plainclothes cops sent from Chicago.In the show Frank drew his gun on Van Alden but in real life he is supposed to have pulled his gun on the cops thinking they were a rival gang.either way the cops shot him numerous times.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Frank Capone was killed by plainclothes cops sent from Chicago.In the show Frank drew his gun on Van Alden but in real life he is supposed to have pulled his gun on the cops thinking they were a rival gang.either way the cops shot him numerous times.

haha, bit excessive for cops :D

Thanks for clearing it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

haha, bit excessive for cops :D

Thanks for clearing it up

cops,police

police cops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

This is still great, beautifully shot and acted and all that but is anyone else finding the current plots seriously underwhelming? Maybe it was just the adrenaline overdose last season that would have been hard to beat but right now to me theres a real sense of a show winding down from its past highs before cancellation. I know its been renewed but thats how it feels to me, still the best thing on tv at the minute I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Thargor wrote: »
    This is still great, beautifully shot and acted and all that but is anyone else finding the current plots seriously underwhelming? Maybe it was just the adrenaline overdose last season that would have been hard to beat but right now to me theres a real sense of a show winding down from its past highs before cancellation. I know its been renewed but thats how it feels to me, still the best thing on tv at the minute I suppose.

The stuff with Nucky, I'd agree, but I do expect that to get going again, but Capone and Shannon's side isn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

At least Margaret's appearance time was kept to a minimum. I'm not sure where they are going this season tbh. I guess the FBI agent might close in on Nucky come the season's end. There's a lot of different minor storylines going on at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Shane St. wrote: »
    At least Margaret's appearance

Ah damnit! :mad:
    time was kept to a minimum.

At least that's something I suppose!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 397 ✭✭welkin

Poor Warren Knox (or whatever his real name is) days are numbered.

I'd imagine Eli had that page translated himself and gave it to Knox testing him. There was obviously a lot more than "congratz son on your child" - plus the napkin thing had his real initials on it.

Then again Eli isn't the sharpest tool in the box so we'll see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

welkin wrote: »
    Poor Warren Knox (or whatever his real name is) days are numbered.

I'd imagine Eli had that page translated himself and gave it to Knox testing him. There was obviously a lot more than "congratz son on your child" - plus the napkin thing had his real initials on it.

Then again Eli isn't the sharpest tool in the box so we'll see what happens.

I think the napikin is what did him. I don't think he suspected anything before that.

Kirby wrote: »
    I think the napikin is what did him. I don't think he suspected anything before that.

Well I suspect Eli now knows, and will take a course of action.
    Hoover was reluctant to provide resources and manpower to this theory of a country wide network of organised crime. It took the death of an undercover agent who kept bringing the theory to the front, for Hoover to start deploying assets and resources to the fight on organised crime. So yeah, I expect Knox is dead pretty shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

At least Margaret's appearance time was kept to a minimum. I'm not sure where they are going this season tbh. I guess the FBI agent might close in on Nucky come the season's end. There's a lot of different minor storylines going on at the moment.

Was thinking the same, there is no real obvous way its going. Think Gyp had me spoilt a little bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Another stellar episode this week, the Knox stuff is quite good and as said above im assuimg Eli has him copped now. Nucky down in Tampa with Lansky and Petrocelli has the potential for problems especially as Petrocelli is cousins with Masseria who Luciano said still wants to kill Nucky. The Omar(oops) Chalky stuff was a long time in coming, interesting to see where it goes, maybe Dunn will use it against him. His line on describing Dr Narcisse was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Another stellar episode this week, the Knox stuff is quite good and as said above im assuimg Eli has him copped now. Nucky down in Tampa with Lansky and Petrocelli has the potential for problems especially as Petrocelli is cousins with Masseria who Luciano said still wants to kill Nucky. The Omar(oops) Chalky stuff was a long time in coming, interesting to see where it goes, maybe Dunn will use it against him. His line on describing Dr Narcisse was brilliant.

I really do fear for Chalky, He has totally underestimated Narcisse.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Was this weeks episode a double feature? Just downloaded it there and it's almost 2 hours long?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Is it any good this week? Kind of falling behind atm because it's not very interesting tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

I just watched it there and it was the usual 55 minutes or so... Unless I've missed something.

snausages wrote: »
    Is it any good this week? Kind of falling behind atm because it's not very interesting tbh

Yeah, don't mind me. Figured out why the file is so long.

Bit of a filler ep. Next week should be fun now that Capone has the go-ahead to do O Bannion. Lucky not too happy about being demoted back to errand boy....thats so much funnier if you know the history. Killing the pastor in such a manner was a bit clumsy and is bound to have repercussions in polite society.
    At this point, I'm wishing Nucky, Eli and the rest of the fictional cast would take a step back and let the real gangsters and Hoover hammer it out.

• Advertisement

Far too much Margaret :( She really adds nothing to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Bit of a filler ep.

:rolleyes:

I really am liking this season, the show is simply a joy to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Bit of a filler episode alright this week.

Still lots happening though, this is the best show on TV at the moment, shame it doesn't get more hype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What does the handkerchief mean? I thought it said TPI or something...

Thargor wrote: »
    What does the handkerchief mean? I thought it said TPI or something...

Its the agents real initials. In those days, it was extremely common for a man to carry a monogrammed hankie - my grandad was a gardener back then and he had his initials engraved on the back of a pocketwatch that I still own.
    ie. I'd be FV, you'd be Th (or possibly the names our mothers gave us). Carrying someone elses means you nicked the hankie or its not your real name. Not good when assuming a false identity in the company of known murderers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

eddhorse wrote: »
    Bit of a filler episode alright this week.

boardwalk empire is 12 episode season there are no filler eps :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

Class episode, was really worried for
    Chalky
    there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

The end of a great character - he always had a real air of menace about him.

Micky Doyle is hilarious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i didn't expect chalky to deal with purnsley that soon. it seems like the doctor corrupted him and he died in a very short time frame, think the character deserved more than that :(

• Advertisement

Kind of Liked Dunn. He had real demonic character to him.

Really after warming to Doyle. That guy is solid gold. And absolutely scummy of Nucky to belt him in the face with that cane.

loved it, if it had to be one of them I'm glad it was dunn, chalky is way to good to be killed off yet. thank fcuk he copped on before it was too late. Things are really coming together now, can't believe its 2/3 over already.

loved it, if it had to be one of them I'm glad it was dunn, chalky is way to good to be killed off yet. thank fcuk he copped on before it was too late. Things are really coming together now, can't believe its 2/3 over already.

Err he didn't cop on before it was too late, Dunn almost strangled him to death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Jesus that was tense. I really feared Chalky was going to be making a sudden exit. I'm glad they didn't drag it out and thought it was really well handled. Very curious to see what happens next.

welkin wrote: »
    Err he didn't cop on before it was too late, Dunn almost strangled him to death.

I he had not realised that dunn had turned on him, and challenged him in the room then he would defiantly be dead.

I he had not realised that dunn had turned on him, and challenged him in the room then he would defiantly be dead.

Are you for real? Dunn kicked his ass and had him on the point of death.
    Chalky "copping on" about 10 seconds before he got his ass whooped didn't do him much good. In fact it looked like Chalky was completely unarmed so if Dunn didn't do a Samuel L Jackson in Pulp Fiction and try and put the fear of God into him first Chalky was finished. All he had to do was whip out his gun and shoot Chalky in the head.

But then again it's a bloody tV show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I agree with jcsoulinger. Chalky suspecting him was what saved his life. He was able to take a few steps forward towards his own gun which is what started off the fight in the first place. If Chalky doesn't suspect a thing, he follows him outside and gets gutted in the back.

Just caught up now.. great episode after last week's somewhat lackluster effort - plus, no Margaret! :p

Thought Chalky was a gonner myself but to be honest I thought the more interesting storyline was the Fed's (even if it's not yet the FBI) leaning on Eli.. interesting exchange at the end then with him and Nucky!

It's starting to kick up a gear I think but seeing as there's just 4 episodes left that's a good thing.

One question.. has this been renewed yet? I was looking on Wikipedia and it seems the US viewing numbers have been steadily dropping over season 3 which is a tad worrying....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Wikipedia confirms a 5th season in its intro!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

only 4 eps left?

jesus this season has flown by.. boardwalk always seems to go by so slowly but not this time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Just watched the episode

wow what a fantastic tense fight scene, Eli turned into a rat, Nucky getting annoyed by Mikey Doyle :)

overall a great episode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

only 4 eps left?

jesus this season has flown by.. boardwalk always seems to go by so slowly but not this time

Have to agree. This season has been very well paced.

So did the girl who stabbed Purnsley change her mind when she saw him cry when she sang the song?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

kingtiger wrote: »
    Just watched the episode

wow what a fantastic tense fight scene, Eli turned into a rat, Nucky getting annoyed by Mikey Doyle :)

overall a great episode

I wouldn't write Eli off as being a rat just yet. I think he just needs time to work out how best to approach it in his head. He's not the sharpest tool in the box.

5starpool wrote: »
    I wouldn't write Eli off as being a rat just yet. I think he just needs time to work out how best to approach it in his head. He's not the sharpest tool in the box.

Not sharp but the basics are very clear to him given his prognosis- can he trust Nucky to stay alive and protect the family. Or take the deal.
    Or turn double agent and feed crap to the feds in return for a large payout.
    Eli knows Nucky could be dead in a second given the company he keeps so one is out.
    He's too honest to turn grass just because some dipstick mumbled a threat to him.
    I think he'll go for three - giving Nucky et al the knowledge that the Feds are seriously closing in on them.
    But I don't know so I'll still be watching this little classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Finally caught up.

This season has been a joy to watch. Stephen Graham and Michael Shannon are two fantastically gifted actors. The two of them and Frank Capone provided much of the entertainment for me. Hearing van Alden delivering the line "I do have a sense of humour" was priceless. I'm really looking forward to seeing where they go with van Alden and Capone.

The scenes with Ralph Capone and Eddie Kessler were the highlights though. I was nervous for Eddie at the start but then they just went off and had a ball. It was great to see Eddie break free of the butler character for one episode at least.

My second favourite scene is the one where Al, Frank and Nelson go and collect cash. Al and Frank are polar opposites when it comes to talking to people. One brash, the other a sweet talker. They are both the exact same when it comes to dealing with people who owe them - ruthless. Nelson is just Nelson - awkward.

I haven't been counting but there has been a distinct lack of tits and sex in this season. I can't remember there being too many episodes without anything at all in previous seasons. It hasn't taken away from the season at all. In fact, I think it has made it even better.

Also, it's pretty cool to see Hoover being introduced now. We're getting to see the rise to prominence of some of the most influential people in 20th century America.

Strange no comments on the latest one. I guess it was a bit of a lull after last week's action but things are set up for a big confrontation between Chalky and Narcisse. And **** will probably go down w O'Bannion being killed.
    Where those men sent by Capone??

Strange no comments on the latest one. I guess it was a bit of a lull after last week's action but things are set up for a big confrontation between Chalky and Narcisse. And **** will probably go down w O'Bannion being killed.
    Where those men sent by Capone??

I've just finished it.

I thought it was brilliant. Van Alden went total Heisenberg in this episode. The look on his face after he killed those three guys from his old workplace was intense. His inner psycho has been released. **** knows the kind of damage he will do over the next few weeks. This outburst has been simmering for a few seasons now.
    "Is this true?"

"No, it is sarcasm."

That exchange is up there with the best I've ever seen. Shannon can be so dry when he wants. Plays van Alden perfectly.

Was searching on YouTube there and I stumbled across this video. It's a video someone took of the filming of the scene where Al, Frank and Nelson call up to the house looking for the money. You can't hear anything but it's cool to see the contrast between the normal houses and the one they have done up for filming.

And this is what we got to see:

Is this true ?

No, it is sarcasm.
    There are so many truly stupid people I have known that I wish I'd said that to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement