Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HBO [US] Boardwalk Empire **Spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Why don't more people watch this damn show?! I thought that episode was an absolute cracker all round but completely stolen by Michael Shannon going for a good chew of the scenery, which was just so satisfying to see after the guy being downtrodden and awkward for the last couple of seasons. Reminded me of Richard going into super soldier mode last year. So many of Van Alden's lines could come across as hammy with a lesser actor but Shannon just nails them. When the camera zoomed on his face as he said "I warned you" and then took all three of the guys down... Fist pumping stuff. That's exactly where a slow burn type of show pays off as the violence has genuine impact and you know there'll be consequences.

Enjoyed Nucky's dealing with Rothstein early in the episode and the mini confrontation with Narcisse. I'm actually starting to wonder if Nucky will end up siding with Narcisse purely from a business point of view, wouldn't surprise me. I find Nucky quite a bit more interesting and even a bit more likable this year but at the same time he seems colder and more ruthless than ever. Such an odd character. Eli's "anything else I w
    should know?" comment was both hilarious and kind of depressing as it all but confirmed that he's going to rat out Nucky.

I'll say it again, more people need to watch this! Same story every year after 4 episodes, "it's boring", "nothing's happening" etc. People need to have patience with the early episodes and not want action and instant payoffs, this is by far the best written and acted show going.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Eli's "anything else I w
    should know?" comment was both hilarious and kind of depressing as it all but confirmed that he's going to rat out Nucky.

I thought that was a great scene, the look between them was very telling. Nucky obviously was very suspicious of that question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Missed episode 1, series 4.( episode 2 is currently showing) - any hope of catching episode 1 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

I'll say it again, more people need to watch this! Same story every year after 4 episodes, "it's boring", "nothing's happening" etc. People need to have patience with the early episodes and not want action and instant payoffs, this is by far the best written and acted show going.

The problem I think with Boardwalk is that it lacks a kind of central theme or unity that shows like Deadwood and The Wire have which makes it frustrating to watch even if it can be excellent. It's like a collage of loosely connected stories.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/boardwalk-empire,104705/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I might have missed it but was there any particular relevance to that bit at the end with your one having a shotgun in bed with her? Seems a strange way for someone to be sleeping...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Very enjoyable episode. Great to see unhinged Van Alden again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

JohnK wrote: »
    I might have missed it but was there any particular relevance to that bit at the end with your one having a shotgun in bed with her? Seems a strange way for someone to be sleeping...

She lives in Florida, gators and the like I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

She lives in Florida, gators and the like I'd imagine.

• Gators
    • People who frighten alligators
    • Lucky Luciano / Meyer Lansky et al. and the friends that they bring are regulars in her establishment
    • She's off her nut herself

Its the shotgun I feel sorry for.

I know smart men fall for dangerous women, but Nucky...this is borderline stupidity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Fantastic episode.. Nelson finally snapped! Been a long time coming! :D

I think Chalky is on the way out myself. He's too volatile and led by his emotions and therefore bad for business.. and Nucky is all business this year.. with the exception of the one in Florida (don't get that at all myself)

I know everyone loves Richard here but once again this year I think he's adding very little to it and like Margaret, his scenes only serve as a unwelcome interruption to the real stories. Be honest.. he could be written out in the next episode and would he really be missed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Just the gif I was looking for.

One of the most satisfying moments of my viewing history. I've been waiting for this look ever since he ran out of that office back in Atlantic City.

From this:

To this:

XhitfK4.gif

I think he might be the only character on tv at the moment who has the potential to become even more of a psycho than Al Capone. And that's saying something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Just the gif I was looking for.

From this:

[youtube........./youtube]

That's interesting - I had completely forgotten that the Deacon was the witness to Van Alden murdering his partner. Maybe that means he's more likely to return to Atlantic City now that the deacon is dead.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Why don't more people watch this damn show?! I thought that episode was an absolute cracker all round but completely stolen by Michael Shannon going for a good chew of the scenery, which was just so satisfying to see after the guy being downtrodden and awkward for the last couple of seasons. Reminded me of Richard going into super soldier mode last year. So many of Van Alden's lines could come across as hammy with a lesser actor but Shannon just nails them. When the camera zoomed on his face as he said "I warned you" and then took all three of the guys down... Fist pumping stuff. That's exactly where a slow burn type of show pays off as the violence has genuine impact and you know there'll be consequences.

Enjoyed Nucky's dealing with Rothstein early in the episode and the mini confrontation with Narcisse. I'm actually starting to wonder if Nucky will end up siding with Narcisse purely from a business point of view, wouldn't surprise me. I find Nucky quite a bit more interesting and even a bit more likable this year but at the same time he seems colder and more ruthless than ever. Such an odd character. Eli's "anything else I w

People say similar about Mad Men but I love both shows.

I'm assuming that Boardwalk has been renewed for a 5th season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

5starpool wrote: »

They are both my top 3 shows by far. Only Deadwood surpasses them both, for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Just caught up on the last two episodes. What a duo to watch back to back, wow.

Van Alden finally coming to terms with where he is at was amazing to watch. The show has two real heavy hitters, one in Harrow with his military training, the other with Van Alden and his prohibition background. Both now aligning themselves back into the game, means probably alot of death on the way.

I think Van Alden's character has been shaped beautifully. I've spoilered the following as some people might not be familiar with American gangland history, and this is a spoiler for things to come
    Torrio and O'Banion infamously started a massive gang war which ended in 1920, inevitibly seeing the demise of the Irish gangs in Chicago and the rise of the Italian based ones. O'Banion was infamously gunned down in his store while attending to what he thought was customers. It looks like the show is skipping the war as such, but if so, Capone soon became successor to Torrio. Not sure how the show will spin it, but it's coming, probably by end of season.

Van Alden is a completely fictional character in Boardwalk Empire, but he seems to be bearing some somewhat similar traits to Frank Nitti, who I'm sure many are familiar with. Nitti while not a prohibition officer, spent some months/years off the grid under different alias' before moving to Chicago ( or some say returning). Upon his return he gained employment under Daniel O'Banion, but only after the Irish gangs demise, was he taken on board by Al Capone during his meteoric rise to the top, and became Capones right hand man, through displays of loyalty and violence. We should have been introduced to Nitti by now, and that we havn't only makes me assume they are using the fictional Alden character to assume the role. If so, absolutely brilliantly scripted and played out

5starpool wrote: »

Yup, confirmed for season 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

TheDoc wrote: »
    Torrio and O'Banion infamously started a massive gang war which ended in 1920, inevitibly seeing the demise of the Irish gangs in Chicago and the rise of the Italian based ones. O'Banion was infamously gunned down in his store while attending to what he thought was customers. It looks like the show is skipping the war as such, but if so, Capone soon became successor to Torrio. Not sure how the show will spin it, but it's coming, probably by end of season.
    I think your timing may be out, O'Bannion was killed in 1924 and the gang war between the South Side gang (Capone) and the north Side (Irish) effectively ended in 1929 with the St. Valentines Day massacre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Van Alden's character is one of the best in the show!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Loved how his old colleagues came back to kick the sh1t out of him aswell, there was something so 1930's about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

i was wondering is narcisus character based on anyone in particular

some thought he was based on a real guy who created a black empowerment movement, but they say he's actually based on a different black mobster who gave money to black causes, they mixed the stoies together more directly.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2013/09/29/is-boardwalk-empire-trampling-the-legacy-of-marcus-garvey/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Miprocin

I'm kind of enjoying Margarets' scenes with Rothstein. The attack on Capone was great too. The show really come into it's own and I think this might be my favorite season yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

They are really setting it up for some great scenes in the final 2 episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Chalky is one lucky fecker! Though if he'd made sure that he got his man in the first place that would've helped! Guessing he'll think that Nucky set him up.

So is Eli playing Knox then? I assume so from the conversation between him and Nucky after Nucky made the deal with the good Doctor and Joe.

After a slow burn all season it's really starting to come together.

Setup so nice now for a bloodbath. Capone going to cease power and Atlantic city about to explode.

Thought the ending scene was amazingly well done. Eli's son looks taller...stronger... Elis reaction. Its such a well acted show.

Van Alden and Harrow came back into the mix at the point where you can't no believe they are going to cause genocide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

Who attacked Capone? O'Banion's men? I thought for a second it could be Torio's...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭irishcsifan

I just watch this weeks episode. They are really gearing up for something
    Thank god Chalky is okay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Who attacked Capone? O'Banion's men? I thought for a second it could be Torio's...

Pretty sure it's O'Banion's men. Wouldn't be surprised if Torrio got hit or something in as he just left before hand, and allows Capone to take over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I thought it was Torio for sure at the time, especially with the Italian accent on the other end of the line. He deliberately didn't stay for a drink, then right after Al being thankful he left while Van Alden gave him the "ehhhh..." look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Yeah, Torio could have been planning to use O'Bannion's men doing it as a cover for taking back control from Al or it could have been genuinely been revenge for O'Bannion. I'd imagine Torio's at least gonna come under serious suspicion from Al, and possibly killed, no matter who did it. My first reaction was that Torio set it up though.
    Great episode overall too. I love how in early seasons people were clamouring for more Chalky and here we are 4 seasons in getting it. I think it goes to show that no character has been wasted by the show nor have there been any pointless ones introduced over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Brilliant episode! so much happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Great episode. Things are really heating up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

You know the weakest most pointless thing in this season? Jimmys mom. She needs to be killed off very soon

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

EyeSight wrote: »
    You know the weakest most pointless thing in this season? Jimmys mom. She needs to be killed off very soon

She's been weak and pointless for the majority of the show IMO.

This series has been quality, first one where I've not waited till the end to watch them back to back. Mondays are a real treat at the moment!

It was setup by Torrio...

He left conveniently making a snide remark and Capone even commented " Just as Johnny leaves huh?!" Obvious retaliation to what came earlier in the episode, Torrio thinks Capone is getting to big for his boots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

I liked this ep a lot but it felt like a rethread of the penultimate episode of season 3. Feels kind of over-familiar at this point. I hope at least Chalky gets it or something big and surprising like that happens. The (second) big fallout between Eli and Nucky seems like it will be a big finale moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The attack on Capone was O'Banion's men.I think the makers of the show set it up so people will think it was set up by Torrio.
    In real life
    Al was Torrio's protege and he eventually retired and gave the business to Al.Torrio was also attacked by O'Banion's men and was extremely lucky to survive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Very good episode, Uncharacteristically things moved very quickly in this episode. Not sure if I prefer that but it was nice for a change tho.

I'm loosing faith in these guys gangster credentials, three assassination attempts all failed, very amateurish.

Glad Chalky didn't get taken out. I will be very dissapointed if Narcisse wins that battle.

One thing I found strange is when Nucky is way out in the sticks interrogating Meyer, before he leaves his man says Chalky has left a message for him or something along those lines. presumably someone drove all the way out there with the message, it just didn't make much sense to me.

Best show on TV right now, absolutely brilliant episode!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Another superb episode.

So much going on that I haven't time to comment.

One thing I noticed about van Alden though was how at ease he seems around Capone now. He was handling money (I think) at one stage. The van Alden of two episodes ago would be bricking it.

I sense he will be a big player before the season ends. As will Harrow. He has been skulking around doing nothing much. He hasn't been brought back just to empty bins surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Wouldn't like to meet Richard in a dark alley. He just happened to have a knife up his sleeve ,as you do, but no gun. Is he getting soft ?

What's the relationship between Harrow and Chalky? Something happen between them before? I forget.

• Advertisement

Another superb episode.

So much going on that I haven't time to comment.

One thing I noticed about van Alden though was how at ease he seems around Capone now. He was handling money (I think) at one stage. The van Alden of two episodes ago would be bricking it.

I sense he will be a big player before the season ends. As will Harrow. He has been skulking around doing nothing much. He hasn't been brought back just to empty bins surely.

I think it is a bit of acceptance on his part. When he was operating as a prohibition agent, he was pretty ruthless if you remember back. And he wasn't afraid of confrontation. I think we are just seeing the realisation and nearly thriving of Van Alden being able to deploy his skillset to earn what is for him a decent living to support his family.

He was always irky and in some ways a threatening, scray character. But the saving grace was that he was a law man. Now.... he is probably one of the most notorious characters in the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

What's the relationship between Harrow and Chalky? Something happen between them before? I forget.

Jimmy Darmody and Harrow helped capture the KKK men who killed Chalky's men in Season 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

So glad Chalky is still there. He's lethal. Bad ass MOFO! Best show on tv. No doubt!

One big criticism from ep 9 I think. Chalky's failed hit on the doctor. It was very unreal. He walks forward with a gang with guns blazing and starts shooting. He never even confirms that the doctor is hit or is killed. He then casually walks away with his back turned allowing the doctor to shoot him from behind. I am sure it's been discussed already. Any thoughts?

Yeah, Torio could have been planning to use O'Bannion's men doing it as a cover for taking back control from Al or it could have been genuinely been revenge for O'Bannion. I'd imagine Torio's at least gonna come under serious suspicion from Al, and possibly killed, no matter who did it. My first reaction was that Torio set it up though.
    Great episode overall too. I love how in early seasons people were clamouring for more Chalky and here we are 4 seasons in getting it. I think it goes to show that no character has been wasted by the show nor have there been any pointless ones introduced over the years.

Not to spoil, but Torrio is based on a real character. On HBOs site they let you know that they keep it real as much as possible, so Torrio being killed is not going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

walshb wrote: »
    One big criticism from ep 9 I think. Chalky's failed hit on the doctor. It was very unreal. He walks forward with a gang with guns blazing and starts shooting. He never even confirms that the doctor is hit or is killed. He then casually walks away with his back turned allowing the doctor to shoot him from behind. I am sure it's been discussed already. Any thoughts?

Great episode but, yeah, that scene wasn't done very convincingly. Going to kill him you'd imagine they'd make sure they got him, even if they just maimed him they'd make sure the job was done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Just finally catching up after giving up towards the end of season 2, it just got very boring to me then for some reason. Started season 3 fresh about a month ago and delighted I did!

It's written so well, and the dialogue between characters snaps along fantastically. So many good characters, Mr. Purnsely was terrific, pity he had to go. Harrow, Mickey Doyle, AR, Lansky , Massaria are all exceptional recurring characters. Van Alden steals every scene he is in. Notable mention to Gyp Rosetti is Season 3, another scene stealer.

My main problems in season 1-2 was I found Nucky and Margaret so intensely boring, and there was so much of them. Thankfully that isn't much of a problem anymore although Nucky is still the least appealing and believable character imo.

Can't wait to see how this season pans out.

Also am I the only one that really dislikes Al? Not sure if he is intentionally written that way, or if you are supposed to be rooting for him!

Only posted on this thread from today. Glad I am not alone in thinking that Margaret is dire. One of the worst characters in tv history. Desperately poor.

Favourite scene of all: Has to be the stand off between Gyp and Chalky in the penultimate episode from season 3. Absolute magic. The dialogue and delivery was genius Add this to the fact that it was something I was waiting for, Gyp and Chalky talking/facing off/battling!

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    J
    Also am I the only one that really dislikes Al? Not sure if he is intentionally written that way, or if you are supposed to be rooting for him!

His laugh bugs me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

walshb wrote: »

I'd imagine it's a case of they just emptied their clips on him, or else there would've been a gun fight after he came back firing. When he's sitting right in the window as they started firing, it'd be a safe enough assumption that he'd be killed. Of course that didn't happen though.

Advertisement