Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HBO [US] Boardwalk Empire **Spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

What's people opinions on the show following gangsters that actually existed, and furthermore accounting their history fairly accurately?

I find it detracts from the show to be honest, mainly because certain storylines are pre spoilered for me, I mean I know who will survive certain situations and when it's likely they are going to be killed. I suppose If i wasn't aware of any mobster history it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I have to say that knowing the fate of certain characters hasn't lessened my enjoyment. I have read a fair bit about 20th century mob activities so I knew what to expect. I find the show to be quite an education.

walshb wrote: »
    I have to say that knowing the fate of certain characters hasn't lessened my enjoyment. I have read a fair bit about 20th century mob activities so I knew what to expect. I find the show to be quite an education.

Ye, i'm still really enjoying the show but suppose it takes a small bit of tension away from certain scenarios for me.

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Ye, i'm still really enjoying the show but suppose it takes a small bit of tension away from certain scenarios for me.

I can well understand that. I knew before I watched the first episode that it was based on fiction and reality and that there would be real life characters. I guess that prepared me best. Avoided all spoilers until I accidentally read that a favourite character of mine, Slater, was "deceased."

Stay away from boardwalkempire.wikia.com

I can well understand that. I knew before I watched the first episode that it was based on fiction and reality and that there would be real life characters. I guess that prepared me best. Avoided all spoilers until I accidentally read that a favourite character of mine, Slater, was "deceased."

Stay away from boardwalkempire.wikia.com

Ha I spoiled that myself, except I went to the actors wiki page to see he was listed as Boardwalk Empire - Owen Slater (Season 2 + 3)

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Things are happening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

Tristram wrote: »
    Things are happening!

yup. Finale is gonna be a belter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭irishcsifan

Really good episode. Just saw the trailer for the season finale. I can't wait to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

Anyone got a link for the trailer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

That was definitetly a setting things up for an unreal finale kind of episode.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Why would anyone intentionally watch a trailer for the finale?

Don't suppose the finale will be feature length?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well that got interesting! Took about 10/15 mins to get going but what a setup for the finale.

EDIT: Trailer for next week looks great! :)
    but epic as it was last year, I really don't want another Harrow killing spree. He's done nothing all season that it'd just cheapen the rest of the story they've built if that's how it goes down - again! If anything I think it's time for Harrow to go (probably should have at the end of last season)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Those scenes in the farmhouse were fantastic. Love deciphering the way the black characters talk, it's so full of imagery, wit and dense language.
    The Pinkerton twist was a bit strange though. It seems like a pretty elaborate ruse to go to for *just* a random character's murder but I'm aware the Pinkertons were pretty ruthless back in the day so maybe they did do stuff like that.
    Regarding Nucky, it seems he's copped on to what Eli's up to and is setting up Todd to take over from him instead of Eli. I reckon at the start of the episode he was about to hand over to Eli but then realised something's not right and is now going with Todd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Love deciphering the way the black characters talk, it's so full of imagery, wit and dense language.

"That chicken is drier than grandma's snatch."

Hi,

half way thru ep 11 season 4. Can someone detail the relationship between Chalky and the old blind man for me. I couldn't understand a word either man was saying. No subtitles on the recording I have.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Hi,

half way thru ep 11 season 4. Can someone detail the relationship between Chalky and the old blind man for me. I couldn't understand a word either man was saying. No subtitles on the recording I have.

Thanks.

Yeah it was quite difficult to understand but what I got was the old man was his mentor and taught him everything he knew?

Yeah it was quite difficult to understand but what I got was the old man was his mentor and taught him everything he knew?

Yes, I thought that too. Really poor diction between them. Nothing to do with accent or dialect, just poor diction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

As far as I could make out Chalky was the old man's protege back in the day. In fact I think the old man used to have Chalky's current job in Atlantic City under Nucky's old boss the Commodore.

After believing he was betrayed by Nucky, Chalky went back to him as the only person who he could really trust. It looks like it back-fired though as one of the younger guys sold him out to Narcise.

As far as I could make out Chalky was the old man's protege back in the day. In fact I think the old man used to have Chalky's current job in Atlantic City under Nucky's old boss the Commodore.

After believing he was betrayed by Nucky, Chalky went back to him as the only person who he could really trust. It looks like it back-fired though as one of the younger guys sold him out to Narcise.

What makes you think it was one of the guys?

I thought it was the woman, as she just left beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Indeed. Alternatively, maybe Narcise got his hands on one of Chalky's men and beat him until he gave up the name of who Chalky trusts the most and where would he be likely to hide?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Falthyron wrote: »
    Indeed. Alternatively, maybe Narcise got his hands on one of Chalky's men and beat him until he gave up the name of who Chalky trusts the most and where would he be likely to hide?

Agreed, i thought the young guys were backing Chalky at the end and wouldnt have sold him out.

Also took out fo it that the old guy was the "former Chalky" to the Commedant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

I think the guy that went to Baltimore sold chalky out, that look he gave him before he left says it all. Daughter just left.

The Pinkerton storyline was very disappointing it just didn't make much sense and I don't really see the point of it, they should have just had her o.d or let her ride off into the sunset with this asshole, what they did was just ridiculous.

did any one catch what the old man said to her after she confessed something along the lines of "I owed it to someone" what was this about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I think the guy that went to Baltimore sold chalky out, that look he gave him before he left says it all. Daughter just left.

The Pinkerton storyline was very disappointing it just didn't make much sense and I don't really see the point of it, they should have just had her o.d or let her ride off into the sunset with this asshole, what they did was just ridiculous.

did any one catch what the old man said to her after she confessed something along the lines of "I owed it to someone" what was this about?

He owed it to the Commodore e.g he knows she was essentially the cause of his death

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Hopefully we won't have to see any more of her in the show anyhow. That is one of the more pointless storylines this season imo. I wish she had just od'd at the end of last season.

When the old man wen tout with the shotgun he said "Whatsisname didn't go to no Baltimore" implying that that guy had gone into town to round up a posse to come back and get the girl and Chalky for Narcisse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭geecee

Thats was no old man... It was Junior Soprano!

"I owed Louis [Commodore Louis Kaestner] something... I'm sure you can understand that"

They weren't after her for the death of Roger... they were after her for teh death of the Commodore...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

5starpool wrote: »
    Hopefully we won't have to see any more of her in the show anyhow. That is one of the more pointless storylines this season imo. I wish she had just od'd at the end of last season.

I think she is one of the best characters in the show. Her dialogue with Tommy is great, every time she meets him you get the sense that they're never been apart, usually done fairly badly in tv shows.

I thought the episode was a bit boring. I thought we'd have a bit more of a build up for the finale next week. It was not Daughter that betrayed Chalky. No way she goes through all that to then do a complete nonsensical U turn and betray him

geecee wrote: »
    Thats was no old man... It was Junior Soprano!

"I owed Louis [Commodore Louis Kaestner] something... I'm sure you can understand that"

They weren't after her for the death of Roger... they were after her for teh death of the Commodore...

My read on that was a bit different. They were after her for the death of Roger. They got Roger's friend to walk into the restaurant a few episodes and rattle her early on as a test. That was part of the scam, as was the dinner with the 'client' and the subsequent 'murder'. All just to get her to admit the murder of Roger, which was the point at which the "Big Reveal" occurred.

Leander saying that line to her implied that he had a small part to play in the ruse (suggesting to her that she take the offer for the house and letting the Pinkerton's in to the house at the end. This he did because he owed it to the Commadore). After all I don't think anyone would be financing a pretty expensive sting operation on the Commodore's behalf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

God dammit, the finale was a a real punch in the gut
    RIP Harrow

Very sad alright.

Not sure how I feel about the episode over all. Bit of a let down maybe in terms of drawing things together. Have to wait for next season to see where things go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Morally,
    the end of Richard was justified.
    Eli had a great scrap, I didn't expect him to come out on top.

I'd say
    we won't see a huge amount of Gillian again, unless they spring her out of jail or she hatches some hairbrained scheme to get tommy back.

I'd say she is gone for good. That storyline has been tied up nicely.

If I liked soprano's would I like this? Looking for a new series to get into :)

So long Harrow. Felt his story had come to an end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Richard is dead. Not cool. Much eye sweat.

I can understand why the writers did it, but I didn't want it to happen. :P

One word to describe the episode: intense.

Only 9 months until Season 5... :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

does this mean chalky is gone too? he was out at the old house in the country, possibly taking the old mans place as exile from atlantic city?

eli being picked up by van alden was all sorts of well.jpg. really looking forward to season 5 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Didn't really feel like a finale, but excellent nonetheless. Shame to see Harrow go, but his story was tied up with finding Jimmy's body and Gillian going to jail.

Man that was one of the greatest send offs for a character I can remember, not his actual death but the scenes he was dreaming as he died. He was my favourite character, but like many have pointed out, it was the logical end for him. He couldn't just keep becoming the good guys ace in the hole.RIP Richard Harrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Man that was one of the greatest send offs for a character I can remember, not his actual death but the scenes he was dreaming as he died. He was my favourite character, but like many have pointed out, it was the logical end for him. He couldn't just keep becoming the good guys ace in the hole.RIP Richard Harrow

Yeah you got it pretty much spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Evoaps

how do i view the comments marked spoiler?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hedgehog2

I knew nucky woukd'nt kill his brother,be interesting to see how eliah gets on with capone in chicago now johnnie was shot.
    Sorry Richard was killed he was a great character,season 5 will b good with chalwky out for revenge after his daughter was shot.

God damn this show is amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭irishcsifan

OMG what a episode
    Poor Harrow brilliant send off and OMG Chalky's daughter
    . It was briliant.

Evoaps wrote: »
    how do i view the comments marked spoiler?

select them with your mouse

if you're on mobile, i think you're screwed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Probably the most devastating season finale I've seen in any show I think. Everything has been changed. Certainly not the most deaths or action you'll see on TV but each was weighty and really, really meant something. And that is exactly what this show does better than any other. It also means you get something genuinely moving and heartfelt like Harrow's sending off. That got to me a fair bit...
    The killing of Maybelle also was pretty rough. I genuinely let out a gasp as she wandered in front of the crosshairs and Chalky's reaction was just brutal.
    I dunno if it's tiredness after a long day at work, but I found some of that episode pretty tough to watch. Which I think is a testament to the writers, directors and actors.

I really want to know what happened between Nucky and the Bureau guys, they seemed to come to some arrangement to keep Eli safe and blame it on Narcisse. Or have I missed something there?

What a fucking season of TV though. Rivetting stuff throughout.

rewatching sopranos

in season 1 (so no major spoilers)
    the guy in the bakery, that chris shoots in the foot.... ****ing agent knox. laughed so hard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Ed Bader - the most useless Mayor of all time, surely.
    Ed, get the fúck out of here!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Tristram wrote: »
    I'd say she is gone for good. That storyline has been tied up nicely.

It seems
    not according to the writer. Unfortunately imo/

• Advertisement
Advertisement