Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HBO [US] Boardwalk Empire **Spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

5starpool wrote: »
    It seems
    not according to the writer. Unfortunately imo/

That could just be him keeping his options open or not wanting to fire her in public. This soon after the finale I doubt they have an even more-reduced bit part mapped out for next season, unless keeping her involved for this one was a way of getting to another, bigger storyline down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

leggo wrote: »
    That could just be him keeping his options open or not wanting to fire her in public. This soon after the finale I doubt they have an even more-reduced bit part mapped out for next season, unless keeping her involved for this one was a way of getting to another, bigger storyline down the line.

Maybe, they're playing the really wrong game and Jimmy's son will end up killing Nucky when he gets older before going off to fight in World War 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

That ending.

It's just...

wow, it's just... all...

wow

There was just so much in that episode. The ending though, it was done just soooo right.

Damn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Ohh man that was something. It was just non stop.

There are so many interesting characters in this show, every scene keeps you glued to the tv.

Already pumped for next season.

That episode was almost perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭theblaqueguy

Gutted it was the season finale I didn't know it was until I read this thread
    It was a crazy episode with so much going on it I'll have to watch it again

Does anyone know when the next season will be aired next year?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Gutted it was the season finale I didn't know it was until I read this thread
    It was a crazy episode with so much going on it I'll have to watch it again

Does anyone know when the next season will be aired next year?

Usually second week in September. 40 weeks only :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Absolutely loved this season and the best thing was Kelly McDonald had only a small part in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Absolutely loved this season and the best thing was Kelly McDonald had only a small part in it.

I literally skipped every scene in season 3 where she was on her hospital quest, pretty sure I missed absolutely nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What a suspenseful and tense episode. Perfection. Can I ask, did Capone sanction the hit on Torrio? I assumed he did? Also, when Nucky and Narcisse are talking in Bader's office, did Nucky imply that he wanted Chalky dead? Did he do this to gain Narcisse's trust, and then use Harrow to take out Narcisse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

select them with your mouse

if you're on mobile, i think you're screwed

On mobile you just tap the spoilered text and it becomes visible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

walshb wrote: »
    What a suspenseful and tense episode. Perfection. Can I ask, did Capone sanction the hit on Torrio? I assumed he did? Also, when Nucky and Narcisse are talking in Bader's office, did Nucky imply that he wanted Chalky dead? Did he do this to gain Narcisse's trust, and then use Harrow to take out Narcisse?

Harrow asked Nucky for a favor with locating Jimmy's body, he paid back the favor with the attempted assassination

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Can I ask, did Capone sanction the hit on Torrio? I assumed he did?
    My reading of it was that he didn't, seeing as Torrio didn't recognise the guy that shot hit him (I assumed he would at least recognise anyone involved with the Italians), so the hit was probably by the same people that did the attack on Capone. Which then means that Torrio didn't organise that attempt on Capone. It can probably be thought of either way at this point though. I just don't think Al would go straight to taking out Torrio without confronting him.

The Master wrote: »
    Harrow asked Nucky for a favor with locating Jimmy's body, he paid back the favor with the attempted assassination

That bit I got, but did Nucky imply to Narcisse that he wanted Chalky taken out? Bluffing him into thinking this so he could have Narcisse's trust? Narcisse intimated to Chalky at the end that Nucky wanted him dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

That bit I got, but did Nucky imply to Narcisse that he wanted Chalky taken out? Bluffing him into thinking this so he could have Narcisse's trust? Narcisse intimated to Chalky at the end that Nucky wanted him dead.

that's how I took it. Nucky implied to Narcisse that he was done with Chalky, he said something like " I don't want to worry about that spook coming at me again" and then Narcisse said something about them being on the same page.

Nucky then had Harrow attempt to take out Narcisse and set everything right with Chalky.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Must say i'm thinking differently on the Capone/Torrio issue...

I think it's too much coincidence that the scene after Capone pretty much tells Torrio to retire that there is a ambush on capone on his men, just as Torrio leaves the room. Also much coincidence that the scene after Capone is clearly overcome with rage at Torrio, who claims to know nothing of the shooting, is Torrio getting hit at his home.

My reading is that Torrio wanted Al gone because he disrespected him, once Al survived and his subsequent shooting, Torrio realised Al was just to dangerous to go to war with so he gave up while he still could.

This spoiler is for people with Mob history knowledge
    Can anyone see a bit of a time jump going into the next series? The chicago plot kind of needs one. Bugs Moran was mentioned by Torrio, and is now the leader of the irish north side gang. I presume Boardwalk is going to get into the war between Al and Moran, which culminates in the Valentines day massacre, but isn't that like 5 years from where we currently are?

• Advertisement

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Must say i'm thinking differently on the Capone/Torrio issue...

I think it's too much coincidence that the scene after Capone pretty much tells Torrio to retire that there is a ambush on capone on his men, just as Torrio leaves the room. Also much coincidence that the scene after Capone is clearly overcome with rage at Torrio, who claims to know nothing of the shooting, is Torrio getting hit at his home.

My reading is that Torrio wanted Al gone because he disrespected him, once Al survived and his subsequent shooting, Torrio realised Al was just to dangerous to go to war with so he gave up while he still could.

This spoiler is for people with Mob history knowledge
    Can anyone see a bit of a time jump going into the next series? The chicago plot kind of needs one. Bugs Moran was mentioned by Torrio, and is now the leader of the irish north side gang. I presume Boardwalk is going to get into the war between Al and Moran, which culminates in the Valentines day massacre, but isn't that like 5 years from where we currently are?

I am more inclined to believe that Capone tried to whack Jonny as opposed to Jonny trying to whack Capone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

I thought the
    Harrow dying scene
    was one of the best scenes in the episode. Nicely done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I thought the
    Harrow dying scene
    was one of the best scenes in the episode. Nicely done.

not just that episode but in the entire series. I love the character Eli and look forward to him in chicago next series

I thought the best scene in the entire series was when
    Nelson was getting beat up by the 3 salesmen behind the flower shop. He is like 'gentlemen please stop' and acting all wimpy. Then he fcuking snaps and that cold bastard we all know he really is puts a bullet in each of their heads, beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Nelson was getting beat up by the 3 salesmen behind the flower shop. He is like 'gentlemen please stop' and acting all wimpy. Then he fcuking snaps and that cold bastard we all know he really is puts a bullet in each of their heads, beautiful.
    Fantastic scene I enjoyed nearly all of nelsons scenes this series

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

What a show.. 4 years later and it can still pull off a finale like that.

RIP Harrow. Excellent final scene but I think it was a season overdue. He didn't do much at all this/last year except for in the final episode of each but he went out in a very moving style nonetheless.

Eli in Chicago should be interesting. I was worried a few times during the fight but glad Knox got what was coming to him.

Not knowing the real-life history, I think Al ordered the hit on Johnny to scare him out - either that or yer man was the worst hitman ever!

Chalky/Nucky.. not sure where this will go now

Gillian like Harrow didn't really serve a purpose this year so hopefully that's the end of her part in the show

Minimal Margaret this year was a great plus, though I did enjoy her scenes with AR. I have a feeling she'll play a bigger part next season though

Overall a very different tone to last year and a lot slower paced but with much more substance (not that I didn't love Gyp Rosetti!). Fantastic show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    with much more substance

I think it isn't a coincidence that there has been very few sex scenes this season in comparison to previous years. Also, there have been almost no casual naked scenes (apart from Will's fine woman).

Less boobs and more storylines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

I don't own a box set of series 1 so maybe some you boardwalk fans can help with a little problem thats been niggling at me all day....
    Van Alden/Mueller picked up Eli in Chicago,So given that in the 1st series Van Alden was a prohibition officer in Atlantic city then surely he would have been known to Eli with him being sheriff and would be recognized and vise-versa?Did they ever share a scene together?I'm certain that Van Alden had meetings with Nucky at some point.Was Eli in the same room?Maybe this will unfold in the next series.
    All in all it was a great ending to a great series,Not the bloodbath that i expected between Narciss and Chalky but more poignant with both men losing their daughters.
    Harrows end was very sad but i saw it coming right from the episode where he couldnt put the sick dog down at his sisters farm and when he couldnt carry out the hit early on in the series.He had had enough of killing,probably why he hesitated at the last minute with Narciss in his sights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

That was unbelievably powerful.

Absolutely felt tears in my eyes during the end. I knew it was coming throughout the episode...but you felt he could do it. Was so intense.

Everyone coming full circle in a way. And Eli getting the lift in Chicago...genuinnly shouted o ****.

Cannot wait until next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Van Alden/Mueller picked up Eli in Chicago,So given that in the 1st series Van Alden was a prohibition officer in Atlantic city then surely he would have been known to Eli with him being sheriff and would be recognized and vise-versa?

yep Eli called him "the Prohi with the big head"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Agreed. Shannon is amazing in it. It's the moment when Nelson flips completely. There's no going back from this. That look at the end is as intense as it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

RIP Richard, such a tragic character. Just when you think he might finally get a happy ending, that happens. But you just knew something bad would happen when he was saying his goodbyes at the station. And like others said, his final scenes were perfect.

Such an intense fight between Eli and Knox, was glad to see that Knox pr!ck get his comeuppance, never liked him.

Also great to see Van Alden being so comfortable with the Capones now, casually sitting down having a drink, a big difference from earlier in the season. He could play a big part in Chicago under Al's new operation. Eli in the mix will also be very interesting!

Delighted Mickey Doyle is still in it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

HBO released a dedicated highlight reel of Harrow through boardwalk empire.

Was pretty moving if I'm honest, one of the most compelling characters you could see on television. I had general sympathy for him everytime on screen. Just that guy that constantly got dragged into the dirty stuff, but to protect those important to him.

It also just showed the vunrability of the character after his injury earlier in the season. After walking into a house and blowing away about fifteen lads, to struggling to take a clean shot, it was a sad sad ending. I'd say Boardwalk will clean up at the next TV awards. Eli really came through as a powerful character this season as well. Himself and Van Alden definitely in with shouts for best performances this season

TheDoc wrote: »
    HBO released a dedicated highlight reel of Harrow through boardwalk empire.

Was pretty moving if I'm honest, one of the most compelling characters you could see on television. I had general sympathy for him everytime on screen. Just that guy that constantly got dragged into the dirty stuff, but to protect those important to him.

It also just showed the vunrability of the character after his injury earlier in the season. After walking into a house and blowing away about fifteen lads, to struggling to take a clean shot, it was a sad sad ending. I'd say Boardwalk will clean up at the next TV awards. Eli really came through as a powerful character this season as well. Himself and Van Alden definitely in with shouts for best performances this season

Agree with all of that.

Where is the higlight reel of Harrow?

I also feel he is probably the most tragic character I have ever come across, every single scene he was in I was hoping nothing bad would happen to him. The scene at the end where it showed his full face was perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Great ending, especially without the mask on. Dunno but I felt a little underwhelmed with it at the moment. I really thought either Chalkie or Narcisse would get it, maybe that's why.

Really enjoyed this season though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Does anyone know the song Daughter was singing at the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭prodsc

Does anyone know the song Daughter was singing at the end?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY1hkeRrUNg

Farewell Daddy Blues was also the title of the Episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭royster999

Best of the 4 seasons I think.

Which season would ye rate most?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

royster999 wrote: »

Hard to say really. Adored season 3 but season 4 is right up there with it.

Tbh I would have to watch all 4 again to give a better opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I think they're best in descending order; 4,3,2,1.

Which is funny because I didn't think it would be that good once Jimmy was killed off. How wrong was I.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

royster999 wrote: »

Season 3 by miles for me! It had action and intrigue the whole way through. It started to really bring in the outside elements like Chicago and New York mobsters. Gyp Rosetti is up there with the best bad guys of all time. The second last episode of the season would easily be in my top 5 TV episodes ever.

Season 4 was great especially the last 2 episodes but I think they went a bit overboard in building up as opposed to moving the story along. The Atlantic City storyline almost seemed at a standstill compared to the Chicago storyline?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Why is everyone using the spoiler tag when the thread title says **Spoilers**?? Very annoying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Mc Love wrote: »
    Why is everyone using the spoiler tag when the thread title says **Spoilers**?? Very annoying!

For this show in particular - historical spoilers are needed. Some people know who lives and who dies and when. Al, Meyer, Lucky and a good few more were all real people.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hedgehog2

Margaret is singed up for a major part in season 5,read an interview where she says her character will take a dominant role in the nxt season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

hedgehog2 wrote: »
    Margaret is singed up for a major part in season 5,read an interview where she says her character will take a dominant role in the nxt season.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hedgehog2

I think she represents the Irish lady of the time very well,I am nit 100% on her accent but she is a great actress.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I think she represents the Irish lady of the time very well,I am nit 100% on her accent but she is a great actress.

Her accent sounds like the Ryanair safety announcement voice where it is vaguely Irish but slowed down and over enunciated to within an inch of it's life. Surely they could have got an Irish person to play an Irish person, it's not like there is a shortage.

Thank god for fast forward.

• Advertisement

She's very hard to listen to I feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

She's very hard boring/dull/annoying to listen to I feel.

FYP :)

But seriously, it wasn't too bad this year (except for the painful scene with Nucky) as it was an interesting twist linking her with AR but much like Gillian she adds very to the larger/main storylines - it's merely a (generally) annoying interlude between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭larchielads

here's a question folks, do ye think its better than Breaking Bad or Sopranos, The Wire etc?????????

here's a question folks, do ye think its better than Breaking Bad or Sopranos, The Wire etc?????????

For me first two seasons - no

Season 3 and 4 - Up there with BB and The Wire. The Sopranos for me is always a little bit higher than anything else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Still hasnt a patch on Southland

• Advertisement
Advertisement