Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HBO [US] Boardwalk Empire **Spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Mc Love wrote: »
    Still hasnt a patch on Southland South Park

Fixed that for you. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭larchielads

for me i think it is better than any of em cos its based on real life gangsters capone, rothstein, lucky etc. its that bit more believable if u like cos of those people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

for me i think it is better than any of em cos its based on real life gangsters capone, rothstein, lucky etc. its that bit more believable if u like cos of those people.

I was saying earlier though that some excitment/tension etc is absent from the show because we know how many of these characters pan out, I think i'm certainly more engrossed with the fictional characters as they can go anywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭IrishSkyBoxer

Sad sad end for Richard Harrow.

One of the most beautiful, and one of the most saddening, scenes in the history of television.

I genuinely wiped away tears as the camera cut to show him maskless,cold and dead.

I felt physically sick and struggled to sleep for a few days after the finale.

That was no way for a warrior to go.

He deserved a hero's end, not one that befits a low-life gurrier.

Done with this show. F you HBO. First James, now Richard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

richard dun ****ed up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Sad sad end for Richard Harrow.

One of the most beautiful, and one of the most saddening, scenes in the history of television.

I genuinely wiped away tears as the camera cut to show him maskless,cold and dead.

I felt physically sick and struggled to sleep for a few days after the finale.

That was no way for a warrior to go.

He deserved a hero's end, not one that befits a low-life gurrier.

Done with this show. F you HBO. First James, now Richard.

Ah come on now the man was a killer plain and simple. Just because he was a very pitiable character which happened to be killing the "bad guys" doesn't make him any less of killer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Devastated by that ending, so sad that Richard's new found conscience was his undoing in the end. Not sure if I bought his botching of the whole thing though, until now he was an unbelievably accurate killer. Even if he was second guessing the situation, I still would have expected him to take in his surroundings.

That being said, there was no way out for Maybelle, even if Richard got a clean shot on Narcisse then his goon probably would have shot Maybelle purely on instinct anyway.

The Van Alden centric episode was probably my favourite this season, Shannon took over from Stephen Graham in being the highlight of the show for me.

I like Chalky as a character but not sure where he goes from here. At least he got some much deserved prominence this season though, I particularly enjoyed his jibes at Narcisse. :D

Thought they dealt with Eddie's death awfully though, almost as if the actor gave them short notice that he was intent on leaving. I just couldn't believe that the guy who took a bullet for Nucky caved down to simply not wanting the shame of being deported and having to face his family. IIRC Knox didn't actually threaten his children, how could he?

All in all an enjoyable season, much preferred it to Season 3 but I guess I'm on my own in thinking 1 & 2 has been the show at its best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Devastated by that ending, so sad that Richard's new found conscience was his undoing in the end. Not sure if I bought his botching of the whole thing though, until now he was an unbelievably accurate killer. Even if he was second guessing the situation, I still would have expected him to take in his surroundings.

Yes, but eventually even the best slip up. It's not like a major cock up. He fired just as she stuck her head out. Pure chance. One in a million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Went to queue up all the weeks downloads for the trip home this weekend, forgot there was no Boardwalk :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Had fallen behind on this, just caught up and finished it there, watched 10 episodes in the last 3 days. Great season overall, and some ending. Richard was a great character, probably the right time for him to leave, pity it wasn't off into the sunset with his new family though!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Finally caught up. Excellent finale to a season that wasn't quite as focused as last year's for me (then again they're constrained by history). This was probably the most beautifully shot episode this year too, peaking with that fantastic ending. I was never enamoured with Richard the way many are here but he was a good character and the send off was perfect.
    Lots of stuff set up for next year that I'm looking forward to and I'll just ignore the link above detailing a certain character getting major prominence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

hedgehog2 wrote: »
    Margaret is singed up for a major part in season 5,read an interview where she says her character will take a dominant role in the nxt season.

Maybe they impale her on a milk churn in episode 1 and hang her corpse in a gibbet for the rest of the season! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

I hope they don't keep going down the route of having a new bad villian each season.
    personally i found this seasons plot to be hit and miss. I didn't care about anything regarding Nucky, it was so boring. I never felt he was in real danger.

I didn't care at all for Jimmys mother. Again.

But the stuff with Van Alden, Capone etc. was great. wish they showed more of that. I also lived Eddies story. Wish he didn't go so soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

EyeSight wrote: »
    I also lived Eddies story. Wish he didn't go so soon

And you are still with us?

:D

And you left your family behind in Germany too?

EyeSight wrote: »
    I hope they don't keep going down the route of having a new bad villian each season.
    personally i found this seasons plot to be hit and miss. I didn't care about anything regarding Nucky, it was so boring. I never felt he was in real danger.

I didn't care at all for Jimmys mother. Again.

But the stuff with Van Alden, Capone etc. was great. wish they showed more of that. I also lived Eddies story. Wish he didn't go so soon

I'd imagine you'll get your wish. Historically speaking, theres a lot more dramatic material in Capone and / or Lucky than in keeping up with the soap opera that is Nucky and alligator lady. I can see Buscemi staying around but moving into a spectator role. It really depends on when they want this to end - it could roll on year by year for all time...they've taken the emphasis off alcohol/prohibition and moved towards heroin, which is still gangland controlled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Falthyron wrote: »

Hopefully this is just a ploy to increase viewing figures? They might row back on this decision if ratings are way up halfway through season 5?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

As much as it pains me to say, I think it's the right call.

For me, bar the peppering of the odd excellent episode, the show has lost its way since the end of S2. BE was at its best when it had a primary focus (ie Jimmy/Nucky), once they lost that and tried to set the net wider so to speak the show kind of faltered.

The show still has and had great characters such as Richard and Van Alden, but that doesn't necessarily translate to an excellent, focused, plot. That's actually one of my biggest gripes with the show; so many great characters with sweet FA to do for much of the season.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

As others said earlier the show is hitting a point where much more real history is going to have to come into play (Capone) etc. so it's a good call to end before turning fully into a period drama.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

As much as it pains me to say, I think it's the right call.

For me, bar the peppering of the odd excellent episode, the show has lost its way since the end of S2. BE was at its best when it had a primary focus (ie Jimmy/Nucky), once they lost that and tried to set the net wider so to speak the show kind of faltered.

The show still has and had great characters such as Richard and Van Alden, but that doesn't necessarily translate to an excellent, focused, plot. That's actually one of my biggest gripes with the show; so many great characters with sweet FA to do for much of the season.

Couldn't disagree more, the show has gotten better and better.

I don't mind only one more season, go out on a high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The show has gone from strength to strength, this season was excellent.........probably due to the lack of Margaret :pac:

As much as I don't want it to end at least it'll go out on a high rather than dragging on beyond it's sell-by-date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Gutted, as it is my favourite show. Thought season 3 and 4 weren't par with the first two, if not better.

More Capone and Chalky and less Margaret. What's not to like?

Probably the right call though. Still a shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The show got better after jimmys exit. I thought it wouldnt happen with the lose of such a major role but it has. Sad to see it end after one more season but I trust the writers to give us a sensational climax

Yes ... as much as I loved the show it couldn't continue onwards in time without a major gear change.
    Nucky and co. would be moving sidestage and the roles of Lucky, Meyer and Al would be upgraded with room for Hoover. It would in effect become a different show. Very few of the bigtime players in 1920 were still alive or calling shots by the end of that decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Finally saw the finale on Sky Atlantic.

Christ on a bike it was sensational. The closing montage
    Richard coming home to Wisconsin
    was arguably the best bit of television in the entire series. Just something poignant and beautiful about it considering the chaos of the episode.

Overall, my favourite season yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Agreed that it is probably for the best that it finishes at the end of series 5. A show can run a series or 2 too long and could ruin its memorability.

Will be sad when the last episode is over none the less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I’m a bit late to the party as we just finished watching season 4 last week. Thought it was absolutely outstanding. I did think this series was a bit slow to get going, but I suspect that could be a hangover from the action packed season 3. If I were to find fault with it, I felt there were too many story arches this season. For me, Gillian, Richard and Margaret’s stories came to a natural conclusion at the end of season 3. There was no benefit to bringing them back in this series and it just left it feeling a little cluttered. Gillian’s story this season seemed especially pointless, it all seemed a bit ludicrous that a private detective would go to so much hassle. Richard’s story was very drawn out too, the whole part about him going home to his sister was boring and yet we never really found out what caused him to lose his nerve so much. I felt season 4 offered very little extra to his history or personality. I would have preferred more time given to the likes of Narcisse, who I thought was an interesting character.

I thought the acting in series 4 was masterful, as usual Michael Shannon and Stephen Graham were superb but I thought Shea Whigman as Eli really came into his own this season. The scene in the final episode with him and Nucky in the hotel with Nucky holding the gun to Eli’s head was super. Very tense, you really didn’t know which way it was going to go.

One thing I’m confused about though, how did Eli manage to get out of a murder rap for Agent Knox? When Hoover was talking to Narcisse he said an ‘unidentified coloured man’ killed him. I know Nucky has friends in high places, but a murdered agent and Eli with a criminal record for violent crime? Seems strange that he would get away with it so easily.

Eli didnt get out of it, he legged it to Chicago and got a job with Capones crew, same as Van Alden, thats all you had to do to get away with murder in those days, switch towns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Thargor wrote: »
    Eli didnt get out of it, he legged it to Chicago and got a job with Capones crew, same as Van Alden, thats all you had to do to get away with murder in those days, switch towns.
    I know he had to skip town, but Hoover was blaming the murder on a black man. Was he just saying that to get Narcisse to turn, or are they happy enough to perpetrate that story as long as Eli leaves town?

Hoovers a racist in this so it was probably just convenient to blame the blacks, well maybe not a racist just paranoid about any suspicious groups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Starting this now, hopefully its as good as they say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭DeKing

When is the new season due to air? Suffering withdrawal symptons since the end of season 4 before Xmas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

DeKing wrote: »
    When is the new season due to air? Suffering withdrawal symptons since the end of season 4 before Xmas!

Autumn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭4Dlolz

Have to say I'm gutted this is ending. I cannot understand why they've decided to end the show when epic historical events are just about to go into overdrive....

For those that have knowledge of real life circumstances, there are lots of events that could have been played out to fill another 3 or 4 seasons nevermind one.

For example....

Season 4: More Al Capone/Chicago focused. The North Sides fight against the South Side gang. The introduction of Hymie Weiss, Bugs Moran etc. All leading up to a fantastic Quentin Tarantino-esque St. Valentines Day Massacre.

Season 5: More New York focused. The Castellammarese War and Lucky Luciano's powergrab against Massaria which would eventually lead to the creation of the 5 New York Mafia Families.

The one thing I do accept is that if the story was to continue, Nucky Thompsons role would diminish as Johnson in real life took a back seat entering the 30's and the show is primarily centered around him. Nevertheless, the fictional "Thompson" could have had some interesting roles written to allow us to live through the events of Chicago and New York.

So much of the real world story is yet to be told and it's regrettable we won't see it.

4Dlolz wrote: »
    Have to say I'm gutted this is ending. I cannot understand why they've decided to end the show when epic historical events are just about to go into overdrive....

For those that have knowledge of real life circumstances, there are lots of events that could have been played out to fill another 3 or 4 seasons nevermind one.

For example....

Season 4: More Al Capone/Chicago focused. The North Sides fight against the South Side gang. The introduction of Hymie Weiss, Bugs Moran etc. All leading up to a fantastic Quentin Tarantino-esque St. Valentines Day Massacre.

Season 5: More New York focused. The Castellammarese War and Lucky Luciano's powergrab against Massaria which would eventually lead to the creation of the 5 New York Mafia Families.

The one thing I do accept is that if the story was to continue, Nucky Thompsons role would diminish as Johnson in real life took a back seat entering the 30's and the show is primarily centered around him. Nevertheless, the fictional "Thompson" could have had some interesting roles written to allow us to live through the events of Chicago and New York.

So much of the real world story is yet to be told and it's regrettable we won't see it.

I think there problem there might be the SVDM was in 1929, right now in the show its only 1924

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    I think there problem there might be the SVDM was in 1929, right now in the show its only 1924

I think it's a given now at this stage that they'll jump a couple of years.

As it stands, we're not in 1924 anymore. Torrio was shot in 1925 so last season ended in 1925. They will only need to jump one year to 1926 to see Al Capone and his fight against Bugs Moran and Hymie Weiss which ultimately concludes in 1929 at the SVDM.

If the show is done right, it will undoubtably be one of the most interesting seasons. Capone getting his bullet proof car, the introduction of the Tommy Gun, several assassination attempts on Capone, Capone's decent into paranoia, a whole host of big characters being killed off, the SVDM itself, Elliot Ness and the Untouchables, Rothstein, Lucianos situation with Massaria and the Castellammarese War is just about to get under way. Interesting to see what role Eli and Van Alden will play in all of this...

So much to look forward to....

I think it's a given now at this stage that they'll jump a couple of years.

As it stands, we're not in 1924 anymore. Torrio was shot in 1925 so last season ended in 1925. They will only need to jump one year to 1926 to see Al Capone and his fight against Bugs Moran and Hymie Weiss which ultimately concludes in 1929 at the SVDM.

If the show is done right, it will undoubtably be one of the most interesting seasons. Capone getting his bullet proof car, the introduction of the Tommy Gun, several assassination attempts on Capone, Capone's decent into paranoia, a whole host of big characters being killed off, the SVDM itself, Elliot Ness and the Untouchables, Rothstein, Lucianos situation with Massaria and the Castellammarese War is just about to get under way. Interesting to see what role Eli and Van Alden will play in all of this...

So much to look forward to....

I agree all that would be great, question is are the producers willing to drop focus from Nucky?

Started this and on season 2 already and find it truly brilliant. One knocks though is some characters ( Margaret) in particular are just very frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Started watching this just after Xmas and fully caught up tonight. Richard Harrow has got to be one of my favourite characters of all time. I'm absolutely gutted right now even though I understand completely, it was a great sendoff all the same especially using it as the end of the season.

"What's it like? To have everything?" - At least you found the answer, however brief it was :):(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

Started watching this just after Xmas and fully caught up tonight. Richard Harrow has got to be one of my favourite characters of all time. I'm absolutely gutted right now even though I understand completely, it was a great sendoff all the same especially using it as the end of the season.

"What's it like? To have everything?" - At least you found the answer, however brief it was :):(

:(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Did anyone notice Harrow in American Hustle?

I think he looks better with the mask.

Just starting fourth season final episode now so excited to be caught up with everyone. Thought this season was poor compared to 2 and 3 but still very good.

Just after seeing this and agreed absolutely gutted. Thought it was real when he was outside the house, but suppose tragic characters like him never get the ending we all want for them.

As I stated earlier, it would deny viewers the chance to see the fitting ending to some of the characters by ending it next season. For example...
    Massaria has been a big character. Lucky Luciano killed Massaria in a restaurant in the 30's I believe.

How can a big character like that not have the fitting ending? They're just going to end the series without exploring these big stories? It's like having the end credits go up halfway through a movie.

I definitely think they are right to end it next season. all characters we have grown accustomed to have either left or their stories are nearly up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭weiland79

What an absolutely amazing show. I've literally just finished the last episode of season 4 and I'm.blown away.
    So many things racing through my mind. Richards death of course being foremost. Fantastic character, gutted he's gone.
    Gillian. Started off being hugely attracted to.her and ending up despising her.
    Have to say I never really took to the chap that played jimmy and wasn't too upset when he bought it.
    Owen. Couldn't believe it when.he ended up in a box. Thought he was one of the best characters in the show.
    Mr.Hessler, Elli, Nelson, Chalkie, Meyer, Lucky.
    Margaret,
    Arnold Rothstein,
    Mickey Doyle ( love the laugh)

The list goes on. What a truly fantastic set.of characters. Loved every minute of it and will definitely be watching it all again.

Without a doubt deserves to be.counted amongst some of the best tv ever produced.

weiland79 wrote: »
    What an absolutely amazing show. I've literally just finished the last episode of season 4 and I'm.blown away.
    So many things racing through my mind. Richards death of course being foremost. Fantastic character, gutted he's gone.
    Gillian. Started off being hugely attracted to.her and ending up despising her.
    Have to say I never really took to the chap that played jimmy and wasn't too upset when he bought it.
    Owen. Couldn't believe it when.he ended up in a box. Thought he was one of the best characters in the show.
    Mr.Hessler, Elli, Nelson, Chalkie, Meyer, Lucky.
    Margaret,
    Arnold Rothstein,
    Mickey Doyle ( love the laugh)

The list goes on. What a truly fantastic set.of characters. Loved every minute of it and will definitely be watching it all again.

Without a doubt deserves to be.counted amongst some of the best tv ever produced.

Unfortunately millions disagree with you as the ratings are very far off the mark which is why the show is ending after season five. :mad:

Unfortunately millions disagree with you as the ratings are very far off the mark which is why the show is ending after season five. :mad:

The Wire performed much worse ratings wise, and is still considered one of ( if not the ) best tv series ever produced

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

deadwood only got 3 seasons

tells you all you need to know about the relationship between quality and ratings

• Advertisement

deadwood only got 3 seasons

tells you all you need to know about the relationship between quality and ratings

I believe the reason Deadwood finished up was to do with politics moreso than anything else.

Nobody wants BE to go on at least another 2 seasons more than me. I can't believe they're not covering the SVDM and the Castellemarse war but viewership is down sadly. They should of got Martin Scorsese back for an episode or two to hype it up again.

Advertisement