Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HBO [US] Boardwalk Empire **Spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

deadwood only got 3 seasons

tells you all you need to know about the relationship between quality and ratings

Still bugs me that they cut that just as it was about to get really good

Christ I miss Al Swarangean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Still bugs me that they cut that just as it was about to get really good

Christ I miss Al Swarangean

I started watching last night, unbelievable stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

7 year time jump
    for next season

actor Michael K Williams revealed that the final season of the HBO show will
    be set during the Great Depression.
    The actor, who plays Chalky White, said: "The storyline has jumped seven years [into the future], which is why I have the beard now.

"The Depression has set in. The days of the shiny shoes and fancy suits are long gone."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Good move imo, interesting times, leaner and meaner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Excellent news. I was getting tired of watching future mob royalty being errand boys. By the time of the Depression everybody is set up nicely. Its gonna be bloody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

When is it starting again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭NinetyForNone

Thargor wrote: »
    Fall 2014 - 81 days from now.
    That's an estimate based on previous seasons.
    If they're still filming wouldn't that schedule be tight?

Never saw the astrix sorry, Id say if it was going to slip to 2015 we'd have heard by now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement

Cannot wait to get back to the good stuff in Autumn and Winter, stupid Summer mush, Under the Dome, Falling Skies, True Blood, The Last Ship etc, like they were written and directed by 17 year olds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I have a feeling that this could be an amazing season. So many good characters are involved.

Secretly hoping "Mad Dog" Coll will be involved, but given the timeframe it would take some creative storytelling, his character seems like it would be a good fit for the show though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Season 5 Premieres on Sept 7th and is only EIGHT episodes long. Really disappointed that they aren't giving it a full season as a send off, far too much to be resolved in 8 episodes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

iMuse wrote: »
    Season 5 Premieres on Sept 7th and is only EIGHT episodes long. Really disappointed that they aren't giving it a full season as a send off, far too much to be resolved in 8 episodes

True. But hopefully they can just make every episode incredibly intense - like the final breaking bad season. No filler, every single scene was important to the story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Not mad on that trailer. Choice of song was awful too. Nonetheless it's one of my favourite shows and I can't wait for the new season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Tommy to kill Nucky. Calling it now :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Eli's quote is one of the best from any drama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

D-FENS wrote: »

Nah, Gyp's quote above is better! :p He was fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

Feck it might have to go on Boardwalk marathon before the new season starts. What a fantastic show can't believe it's being cancelled. Although I never really liked the guy that played jimmy it was more than made up for with some of the other characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

D-FENS wrote: »

You seem to be forgetting, "I am relaxed!"

When should we expect this to be back?

September 7th, excellent :D

http://hbowatch.com/hbo-series-premiere-schedule/

http://www.pogdesign.co.uk/cat/9-2014

Maybe time to binge on the first couple of seasons again, couldnt remember anything I read on the wikis when I went researching those quotes.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Final season being only 8 episodes long is really annoying, but looking forward to seeing how they conclude it as well. Like many others, I could get behind another 3-4 seasons of this show. I'll definitely miss it when it's gone, and along with the coming demise of Mad Men it'll be two of my favourite shows gone, although Mad Men got a longer run of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

5starpool wrote: »
    Final season being only 8 episodes long is really annoying, but looking forward to seeing how they conclude it as well. Like many others, I could get behind another 3-4 seasons of this show. I'll definitely miss it when it's gone, and along with the coming demise of Mad Men it'll be two of my favourite shows gone, although Mad Men got a longer run of course.

I think it'll be a challenge for them to wrap-up BE in 8 episodes, but hopefully this means no pointless filler episode(s) as a result.

Was very into MM when it started but lost interest around season 4 (I think) when the focus seemed to move to the "new generation". Did it get better?

Mad Men never dipped imo, always riveting even with boring Mhegan.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Can't wait for this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Shane St. wrote: »
    Can't wait for this!

Same as that I'm strung out for some good TV, I've nothing to watch at the moment with Boardwalk Empire and Sons of Anarchy not back till next month and Walking Dead not back till Octobre.

I'm predicting 8 episodes won't be enough to tie it all together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I'm predicting 8 episodes won't be enough to tie it all together

Its eight hours of solid TV to document the amateur bootlegging adventurers of the 1920s turning into the organised murder machine that was the US Mafia of the 1930s. There will be blood is an understatement. I can think of at least two massacres, one arrest, a murder and probably a conference that will have to feature.
    How they use that eight hours is for us to find out.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Its a shame that
    arnold rothstein
    won't be returning at all. His death takes place in the time jump between the seasons so won't be covered. A lame end to a main character, also seems extremely pointless
    having the scenes with him and Margaret last season

Thats mad^, as you said,
    why film all the scenes with him last season if they weren't going to do anything with them? They were filmed as pure setups for this season to my eye. Did they not have a plan all along? Why even set him up as a kingpin from day one? There were a million others to choose from...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Thats mad^, as you said,
    why film all the scenes with him last season if they weren't going to do anything with them? They were filmed as pure setups for this season to my eye. Did they not have a plan all along? Why even set him up as a kingpin from day one? There were a million others to choose from...

Because it was history

• Advertisement

I know it happened historically, Im asking why the show chose to focus on it so much if they were just going to skip over it, Boardwalk Empire is a long way from being a documentary at this stage. Its bad screenwriting.

I know it happened historically, Im asking why the show chose to focus on it so much if they were just going to skip over it, Boardwalk Empire is a long way from being a documentary at this stage. Its bad screenwriting.

That's the way TV works unfortunately, I doubt the writers would of chosen to end the series with an 8 episode season, I assume HBO forced their hand and they were forced to make cuts to the original script they had in mind, happens all the time, Deadwood was just plain cancelled for instance.

I haven't read up on this so I may be wrong :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

That's the way TV works unfortunately, I doubt the writers would of chosen to end the series with an 8 episode season, I assume HBO forced their hand and they were forced to make cuts to the original script they had in mind, happens all the time, Deadwood was just plain cancelled for instance.

I haven't read up on this so I may be wrong :pac:

I think it was forced on them too. The ratings for Boardwalk Empire were never amazingly high and it did cost a lot to make. Despite what Terence Winter says in the link a few posts up, I imagine there was an element of HBO saying "you'll get one more series and no more." It is a pity about
    Arnold Rothstein
    though, he was a great character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Any chance that history kills off Margaret Schroeder before or fairly early into the final season?

Any chance that history kills off Margaret Schroeder before or fairly early into the final season?

W can all but hope :D

Has the character mentioned in the above few posts
    been confirmed as not taking part or are we just putting 2+2 together? I'd imagine he would be involved in some small way, possibly in a flashback showing his death

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

W can all but hope :D

Has the character mentioned in the above few posts
    been confirmed as not taking part or are we just putting 2+2 together? I'd imagine he would be involved in some small way, possibly in a flashback showing his death
    He wasn't in episode 1 anyway, and his death was mentioned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Decent enough episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

Whats up wit Luckys right eye?

He wasn't in episode 1 anyway, and his death was mentioned.

Disappointing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Whats up wit Luckys right eye?

Yeah I noticed that. I thought maybe some added scar effect or something. It was an ok episode. I wasn't too interested in the flashbacks, or the frequency of them after most scenes was a bit jarring.

• Advertisement
Advertisement