Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HBO [US] Boardwalk Empire **Spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Wish they spent more time on Narcisse vs the Italians rather than on the pointless Chalky story, even the Margaret storyline was more interesting than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

squonk wrote: »
    The Flashbacks and the Gillian storylines are both useless IMHO. There's only 6 episodes left and they're adding nothing. They should focus on Capone, Van Alden and Nucky really. Anything else is just timewasting.

Well the show has always been about Nucky, so the flashbacks are obviously going back to that ideal. The Capone, Rothstien, Luciano etc stories were all just supposed to be background, they were all really interesting, probably more so than Nucky, but the show is about Nucky, so that's why they are focusing on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

I'm glad this series is ending once and for all - the writing has been garbage and it's reflected in the ratings.

There's so many stories they could of focused on - Rothstein, Capone Vs. The North Siders, St. Valentines Day Massacre, the story leading up to Massaria Vs. Marrazano, Castellamerse War etc - but they'd rather waste time filming utter rubbish.

When the whole concept was conjured up it had so much promise - Martin Scorcese was directing ffs. It's just gone tits up. Good riddance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

Dayum wrote: »
    I'm glad this series is ending once and for all - the writing has been garbage and it's reflected in the ratings.

There's so many stories they could of focused on - Rothstein, Capone Vs. The North Siders, St. Valentines Day Massacre, the story leading up to Massaria Vs. Marrazano, Castellamerse War etc - but they'd rather waste time filming utter rubbish.

When the whole concept was conjured up it had so much promise - Martin Scorcese was directing ffs. It's just gone tits up. Good riddance.
    Its called boardwalk empire, its based in atlantic city about a boot legger called nucky thompson. Its not called how the mafia was formed.

Its called boardwalk empire, its based in atlantic city about a boot legger called nucky thompson. Its not called how the mafia was formed.

Doesn't matter what it's called or what it is because whatever they're doing - not enough people give a flying ****e about it to keep it on the tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Chocolate Lions

Doesn't matter what it's called or what it is because whatever they're doing - not enough people give a flying ****e about it to keep it on the tv.

You're an angry troll. You must have some issues in real life to come on here spouting hate speech about a tv show.

Did uncle Nucky.. touch you inappropriately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Instead they are watching shyte like The Walking Dead and Homeland, both shows that are nowhere as good as Boardwalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

That last episode was one of the poorest in the entire series I reckon, very hard to believe it was the 5th/6th last episode!? They are obviously building the storyline for the various characters end games but they are doing it in a very poor way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Agree, really poor and rather dull for the most part.

With only 5 episodes left it will be hard not to see everytng at the end feeling a bit forced. Have a feeling we might only get a resounding ending for Nucky and then an "Al Capone ..... " etc. ending with a voiceover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

I like the season so far. There's a bit of immediacy to it that was lacking in previous seasons. That being said, did we really need an entire hour watching Chalky and his accomplice get holed up in a house terrorizing two women for Chalky to make a break for it on his own?

Margaret's storyline actually seems to be going somewhere at last. Why couldn't they have done something like this earlier? She didn't have to be shagging Rothstein. It could have been someone else who got bumped off earlier. Instead we got several seasons of Margaret making her own way in the world slowly seemingly now connected to the main storyline in no actual way whatsoever.

Was Gillian thrown in last week for shíts and giggles? I really can't see that storyline developing in any kind of serious way over the next 5 episodes. Wasted time.

Happy to see Narcisse getting shaken down. Couldn't happen to a nicer chap!

I'm just not seeing where the Nucky flashbacks are going! They're a bit of a diversion but with 5 episodes left, we need to be on the motorway and not the scenic route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

As has been said the main focus of the show is Nucky, it always has been, the other elements support him and thats why we are getting the back story. We might all like to see more of the violence in Chicago and NY but thats not the main focus so Nucky and those close to him will have to do, im really enjoying the pace of the series so far.

At this stage I don't think the season is going to up the ante much at all. I imagine the flashbacks will run right up until the end. The notion that the last scene will be a young Nucky being instilled with something or other came across my mind, whether it cuts to that after he's been killed or imprisoned or what I don't know. going for the poignant angle maybe. Just a thought.

You knew Chalky was going to kill that guy from the go. It really was drawn out how long that took, that would be my main criticism there.

At this stage I don't think the season is going to up the ante much at all. I imagine the flashbacks will run right up until the end. The notion that the last scene will be a young Nucky being instilled with something or other came across my mind, whether it cuts to that after he's been killed or imprisoned or what I don't know. going for the poignant angle maybe. Just a thought.

You knew Chalky was going to kill that guy from the go. It really was drawn out how long that took, that would be my main criticism there.

It seems theyre giving some of the main characters a nice chunk of one episode in a sort of reminiscing about whats gone kind of way, Chalkys piece was about Maybelle and whether she knew what he was, Van Alden asked Eli last week about his wife and whether he missed her i.e he was talking about missing his own wife, Luciano had the being made thing in the opener, Capone making bags of money while Torio was enjoying retirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'd have to agree with some of the above.. this season is going to feel very rushed or a complete let-down by the end I think.
    Yes I know it's always been about Nucky, but why Margaret and Gillian are still in it is beyond me - both were pretty much wrapped up last season, and these flashbacks are doing nothing for me.

It's been on a slide since last season IMO - the Gyp Rosetti saga was its peak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I agree that Margaret and Gillian definitely shouldn't be in this season but... I kinda like the flashbacks. :o

I agree that Margaret and Gillian definitely shouldn't be in this season but... I kinda like the flashbacks. :o

Boy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Nucky is facing a choice. To go with Joe Kennedy and go "legitimate". Or fall under the thrall of Luciano. Given that Scorcese and the other producers have insisted Nucky is entirely fictional he could go either way.
    If he doesn't choose fast, Luiciano is beginning to clean up shop and will be making minds up for the undecided along the lines of Harlem.
    At this point, Capone is just a dead-ended sideshow.

Guys, Boardwalk Empire was CANCELLED.

The ratings plummeted and HBO pulled the plug. They granted everyone a short-season to tie things up which is the best anyone could have hoped for.

Let's be honest - season one was a masterpiece and was nominated for everything including the kitchen sink. The only other show that surpassed it in awards was the West Wing. They had it all - Terence Winter (Writer of the Sopranos), Martin Scorcese (Director of Goodfellas, The Departed, etc) and Steve Buscemi that worked with Tarantino (Reservoir Dogs etc).

The writing has been dire the last couple of years.

It's pretty much universally accepted that mistakes were made along the way.

Far better writers of drama out there. Downton Abbey, a show I've never seen in my entire life, but judging by the amount of awards it has under it's belt is how you do drama (and not even a gun in sight). Tarantino had a knack for it. He could put two people in a room discussing daisies and you'd be on the edge of your seat. Boardwalk Empires writing has been a shambles.

The guy that writes Mad Men (ironically wrote the Sopranos with Winter) has won countless awards for MM. Maybe BE should have got him on board instead of Winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

We get you don't like it.

• Advertisement

I have no problem with you disliking the show, but annual award shows mean **** all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The writing has been dire the last couple of years.
    Chip Rosetti and Nucky on the run was boardwalk at its peak...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Thargor wrote: »
    Chip Rosetti and Nucky on the run was boardwalk at its peak...

Gyp :)

But yes, that was my favourite period

There is a point about Boardwalk Empire being a missed opportunity. Where else would you have characters such as the founders of the modern mafia (Luciano, Lansky) being sidelined as extras. Capone promoted from comic historical sidejoke to a central part. And some middle aged corrupt politician as a central character. The interesting stuff is happening in the background. Nobody cares about Chalky and the plight of the working black psychopath. The focus should have switched about the time of Gyp onto the main historical players. Tossing Joe Kennedy in as an afterthought when he should have been there all along is clumsy writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

There is a point about Boardwalk Empire being a missed opportunity. Where else would you have characters such as the founders of the modern mafia (Luciano, Lansky) being sidelined as extras. Capone promoted from comic historical sidejoke to a central part. And some middle aged corrupt politician as a central character. The interesting stuff is happening in the background. Nobody cares about Chalky and the plight of the working black psychopath. The focus should have switched about the time of Gyp onto the main historical players. Tossing Joe Kennedy in as an afterthought when he should have been there all along is clumsy writing.

It seemed to me that the big historical characters were beginning to come into focus in the last season and had the show not been cancelled (it effectively was) the focus probably would've shifted to emphasise Capone, the happenings in Harlem and the corruption among politicians.

Whoever said that the writing being dire the last few years is just plain wrong though. Any opinion I've come across has mostly been that the first season or two were nowhere near the best seasons, rather it was the last two seasons where the show really clicked.
    Memorable parts of the last two seasons off the top of my head; Gyp being the possibly the greatest TV bad guy of the past 5 years, "breadstick in a bow-tie", Nucky on the run, the scene where Capone unexpectedly arrives in Atlantic City and "talks about who dies", Richard Harrow mowing down a house of goons, Harrow's death, Narcisse's moustache, the scene when Herc from the Wire and Eddie have dinner then go to a German bar, Eddie's death, Chalky's daughter in the club...
    The first few seasons have not had the lasting impact of the last two for me.

Far better writers of drama out there. Downton Abbey, a show I've never seen in my entire life, but judging by the amount of awards it has under it's belt is how you do drama.

No. Just no. Downton Abbey died a much faster, much worse death than you think Boardwalk Empire did. Started out really well, and then it became utterly boring so they started killing central characters while simultaneously raping history. Fairly sure the show only gets awards because it has some pretty faces and costumes.

It's a shame that BE is getting a short and rushed last season, but imo it was very good for most of its run.

• Advertisement

I have no problem with you disliking the show, but annual award shows mean **** all

They do when you consider longevity. As a Boardwalk Empire fan you'd want to see it go on. The producers wanted 8 seasons. HBO said no. This is not how the producers wanted to end it but the writing killed it.

No. Just no. Downton Abbey died a much faster, much worse death than you think Boardwalk Empire did. Started out really well, and then it became utterly boring so they started killing central characters while simultaneously raping history. Fairly sure the show only gets awards because it has some pretty faces and costumes.

It's a shame that BE is getting a short and rushed last season, but imo it was very good for most of its run.

BE killed off central characters as well.

In fact, the only interesting characters were killed off - Jimmy, Harrow, Gyp - probably throw Eoin in there too with him being Irish. As soon as a persona gets established they're ushered out swiftly. How can you get attached to these characters when they come and go so fast? It's been a nightmare.

In fact, the only interesting characters were killed off - Jimmy, Harrow, Gyp - probably throw Eoin in there too with him being Irish. As soon as a persona gets established they're ushered out swiftly. How can you get attached to these characters when they come and go so fast? It's been a nightmare.

Trust me, Boardwalk Empire's main character killing is nothing like Downton Abbey's. If anything, Harrow should've left the show earlier, when his story came to a natural conclusion. In Downton Abbey they killed main characters just as their full, proper story was about to begin. Not that the show is worth watching after one or two seasons anyway, and then only if you can tolerate depressing soaps where nothing good happens without a few tragedies.

If you think the only interesting characters are the ones that were killed off (Jimmy? Seriously?), why do you bother watching it at all? You obviously don't like the show. Watching it *and* discussing how much you dislike it here seems a little odd! :confused:

Trust me, Boardwalk Empire's main character killing is nothing like Downton Abbey's. If anything, Harrow should've left the show earlier, when his story came to a natural conclusion. In Downton Abbey they killed main characters just as their full, proper story was about to begin. Not that the show is worth watching after one or two seasons anyway, and then only if you can tolerate depressing soaps where nothing good happens without a few tragedies.

If you think the only interesting characters are the ones that were killed off (Jimmy? Seriously?), why do you bother watching it at all? You obviously don't like the show. Watching it *and* discussing how much you dislike it here seems a little odd! :confused:

I WANT the show to be good.

It seems constructive criticism doesn't go down well these days. Why shouldn't I be upset that the show is ending because the writing is ****e?!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It seems constructive criticism doesn't go down well these days. Why shouldn't I be upset that the show is ending because the writing is ****e?!
    Well I'm not really seeing a huge amount of constructive criticism - just criticism. Don't expect those of us who are still enjoying the show, even if not as much as some seasons, to suddenly go "You know what - he's right! This show is awful!" Understand we're going to disagree with you. And if you really want to see a HBO show go to the dregs then watch "True Blood"'s final seasons.

• Advertisement

Jimmy and Eoin were anything but interesting, Jimmy was moody and quite boring and slowed the pace of the show, his scenes with Gillian were also just plain nasty. The writing is very good, the acting is mostly superb and the series has gotten better as it goes on. It needs to end, it cant go on forever, the best series always bow out on a high, look at the state Dexter was when it finished, started and peaked at around an 8 or 9 outta 10 for me and ended up being a 4 or 5. None of your criticism is constructive is just full of expletives which make for an angry and immature posting style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I guess you aren't a fan of Game of Thrones then either?

I have watched Boardwalk since it first aired and have yet to waiver despite the criticisms you suggest. There have been other shows that I also watched since they first began, The Walking Dead is one example, and I can tell you that was an incredible disappointment.

I see Boardwalk as a 1920s period drama wrapped in the turbulent times of prohibition in Atlantic City. I am unable to find any other show that matches that description, or quality. Although, I might consider checking out Peaky Blinders if I get the time. Boardwalk Empire, from its cinematography, acting, scriptwriting, right down to its style is top quality stuff from HBO. It has not changed direction from what I can see and my only concern is what will fill the void when it ends. I am secretly hoping for a Capone or Luciano spin-off, but I guess we will have to wait and see.

Boardwalk is obviously boring you, for whatever reason that may be, but you shouldn't waste any more time if it continues to cause such distress. You suggest that this is a sudden revelation you have stumbled across, perhaps since the end of Season 3, when the greater shock (if you look at the series objectively) is that it has not changed at all and, instead, your expectations are not being met. I fully expect Boardwalk to end in a very open manner with little if anything resolved, as it should, because events don't end suddenly.

I am, however, hoping the writers make their own path towards
    Tommy coming back to kill Nucky so his actions come full circle, I also suspect the homeless kid Micky picked up is Tommy
    , and that would put some sort of poetic end to the show, but I really do expect it to finish open-ended. And I fully suspect that will anger you far more than the apparent poor acting, badly written scripts, and ill-chosen decisions to follow Atlantic city and not Chicago/New York.

^ I'm also hoping for a Luciano / Lansky spinoff. The birth of the modern mob was a very dangerous subject to tackle for a long time in the US. Historical spoilers herein:
    Luciano himself died in suspicious circumstances on the way to meet some Hollywood producers back in the 1960s. Lansky died in a Florida resort in 1982 leaving a missing fortune that the FBI are probably still sniffing after.
    Anybody doing a biopic of that pair before this era would be getting into choppy waters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'd watch the whole episode again just for another glimpse at 'dat ass'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Quite enjoyed that episode. More so than last weeks.

That scene with nucky and eli at the dinner table where he realises how sh*t his life has been and what it could have been was fairly heart breaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Just checking. The killing of the prostitutes was at Narcisse's joint? I assume that was Lucky and Lansky that arranged that in order to squeeze Narcisse and have him play ball with Manzarano?

Yep, pretty shocking scene I thought, wonder if Narcisse is still the feds puppet?

Yeh, maybe I missed something, but Narcisse just came out of nowhere. I thought he was banged up?

No I dont think so, he was told by J. Edgar Hoover to carry on as he was but as an informant at the end of the last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

so i take it nuckys cuba deal has gone tits up ?

• Advertisement

A lot crammed into that. Van Alden has just played the two most dangerous characters in the entire series off each other and lived. Time to leave the country, never mind Chicago. And the feds are onto him.
    It will be interesting to see how Nucky plays the Charlie cleaning house situation now that Al has warned him.
    I wouldn't write off Nucky's Cuban dream yet - Castro and his boys won't take power for another 30 years. The gang at the roadblock were just a warning that Cuban nationalism was always there. She played it right - they were going to torture and/ or gang-rape her then shoot her. Skipping the prelims was her only option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was that meant to be Irish Joe and Margaret were talking? Sounded a bit messed up. Maybe was just the accents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

I reckon Van Alden will be rehired as an undercover agent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

I reckon Van Alden will be rehired as an undercover agent.

He's wanted by the feds for murder and he sure as hell wont be doing undercover work in Capone's gang now anyway.

Stephen Graham is fantastic as Al Capone. When he threatens someone my own palms get sweaty just watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭GREENGEKO

damn i read it before watching...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Was that meant to be Irish Joe and Margaret were talking? Sounded a bit messed up. Maybe was just the accents.
    Yeah it was mangled Irish. Margaret said "Slan go Foill". God knows what the Yank garbled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

KerranJast wrote: »
    Yeah it was mangled Irish. Margaret said "Slan go Foill". God knows what the Yank garbled.

Yeah picked up it was an attempt at Slán go fóill. I think Joe was drunk because he sounded like he was slurring his speech

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

No American show ever gets Irish right. It always sounds like some sort of German/Latin mix and you can never understand a word of it.

Stephen Graham is fantastic as Al Capone. When he threatens someone my own palms get sweaty just watching.

I think at times Capone is over played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

walshb wrote: »
    I think at times Capone is over played.

Capone was already suffering from general paresis brought on by contracting syphilis in the 1920s. Moreover, he appears to have been taking cocaine for over seven years now. The behaviour of someone suffering from paresis and the effects of cocaine is in line with what we see on-screen. Doctors later concluded that Capone had the mental capacity of a 12 year old. I think Stephen Graham has this spot on! :D

Advertisement