Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HBO [US] Boardwalk Empire **Spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is Nucky really Jimmy's father?

No, the Commodore is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

weiland79 wrote: »
    I don't actually want to look at any part of this thread but i would love to know if there is any sign of this show coming to one of the Irish channels soon e.g TV3, RTE2.

Thanks.

It doesn't look like it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

lol...this weeks ep.of Gossip Girl, Blair confessed her love of BE and Nucky...so it must be good! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    This was a fascinating series. I thoroughly enjoyed it but my god the accent of a certain Mrs Shrooooooooooowwwwwwwwdurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr really annoyed me.
    Didn't bother me so much, have heard far far worse.

Might be just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Perhaps but it annoyed me greatly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

just got into this on sky atlantic the last few episodes , really love it , best tv drama at the moment , great cast , loads of different interesting unpredictable plots goin on , captures the 1920/30s era really well , havent seen the first few episodes , any idea where i can watch these ?

Article/report on filming season 2, expect some spoilers: http://www.silive.com/northshore/index.ssf/2011/02/boardwalk_empire_filming_in_br.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Bessiemae

Have started watching this on Sky Atlantic so am only on episode 5 but I am surprised with all the positive feedback and acclaim it's been getting on this thread and else. It's entertaining enough but I think for a HBO show the overall quality of writing, photograhy etc is quite poor. The sets look flat and totally fake to me and I don't even have HD. When you compare the overall look of it to Carnivale for example I think BE seems really lacking. There's been some pretty hamfisted and cringy moments as regards dialogue and writing, I'm thinking mainly of the scene where Nucky walks in to the hotel lobby and looks at the trail of muck his shoes have left :rolleyes: and the scene where Omar (sorry I can't think of his name in the show) confronts the KKK leader in interview room. If I was supposed to feel tension I didn't.
    I don't think it comes anywhere near the quality of The Wire or Mad Men for that matter. It all feels a bit fur coat and no knickers if you know what I mean.
    I'll stick with it though and see how things play out, it might blow my mind yet.

• Advertisement

^ it ramps up from ep. 6 onwards...stick with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Finished this the other night. Cannot wait for season two....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,625 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The second season of Boardwalk Empire will also introduce Ralph and Frank, the young brothers of Al Capone (Stephen Graham). Both roles are currently yet to be cast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

excuse me in advance if this seems like a stupid question but can you download HBO productions for a fee somewhere ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Quick question for anybody watching on sky Atlantic. What do they do with the tobacco product placement on the boardwalk (lucky strike)

Also agree with Bessiemae, Omar (sorry) just isn't a good actor in this (or maybe the role is just wrong) felt the whole KKK thing was just a bit pandering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

Quick question for anybody watching on sky Atlantic. What do they do with the tobacco product placement on the boardwalk (lucky strike)

Also agree with Bessiemae, Omar (sorry) just isn't a good actor in this (or maybe the role is just wrong) felt the whole KKK thing was just a bit pandering

Really?? I thought that was one of the best if not the best scene in the whole series!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I don't know I just thought it would have made him a bit more of an interesting character if he was a bit racist, don't mean that in a way about encouraging racism at all but at the time the views weren't at all uncommon (majority maybe) and would have made his character more ambigious at a deeper level for modern audiences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

I don't know I just thought it would have made him a bit more of an interesting character if he was a bit racist, don't mean that in a way about encouraging racism at all but at the time the views weren't at all uncommon (majority maybe) and would have made his character more ambigious at a deeper level for modern audiences.

I think making him a bit rascist would sort of sell him short as a character, it would only really explore his hate towards white people and would probably change his modus vivendi with Nucky and sort of trivialise the whole thing to wrong doing=angry revenge...I thought they handled it well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Finally got to see the series the weekend.I have been looking forward to this for months.Up to episode 5 now and while its ok ,I hope like others have said , that it improves as I progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Finally got to see the series the weekend.I have been looking forward to this for months.Up to episode 5 now and while its ok ,I hope like others have said , that it improves as I progress.

It really steps up a gear after epidose 5 - enjoy:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

Just finished it last night.
    Very good but can be slow at times, great set of characters and really looking forward to the second season.

Didn't know this even existed until I received my sky magazine :)

love these hbo endings when it just goes quiet and both the characters and the audience take in what has changed and brought them to there present point.

Wow!....yer wan who plays Lucy is a TRAINWRECK!, she's been papped drunk off her face several times, now this: http://news-briefs.ew.com/2011/03/23/paz-de-la-huerta-arrested/

Me thinks she might get the axe, useless character anyways....great body!

reg_634.paz.lc.022811.jpg

http://uk.eonline.com/uberblog/b232483_boardwalk_empire_hot_mess_paz_de_la.html?cmpid=rss-000000-rssfeed-365-topstories&utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=rss_topstories

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pauldoo

just got to the end of it, found it very poor, one of the worst hbo productions. very slow moving, seems season 1 was all leading up to season 2 and not the season finale, wont be watchin season 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

pauldoo wrote: »
    just got to the end of it, found it very poor, one of the worst hbo productions. very slow moving, seems season 1 was all leading up to season 2 and not the season finale, wont be watchin season 2
    I thought the total opposite, I loved it. Thought it was brilliant, performance wise and visually too.

:rolleyes: go back to watching Jersey or that Essex crap! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

:rolleyes: go back to watching Jersey or that Essex crap! :o
    A tad "rich" from you Rich! :pac:

Basq wrote: »
    A tad "rich" from you Rich! :pac:

I only watch QUALITY tv Basq,

The Killing
    Mildred Pierce
    The Borgias
    Game Of Thrones
    Breakout Kings............and that's just my Sunday!!!

:D

I only watch QUALITY tv Basq,

The Killing
    Mildred Pierce
    The Borgias
    Game Of Thrones
    Breakout Kings............and that's just my Sunday!!!

:D
    You seem to have made the great move from Network TV, to Cable/Subscription TV. :D I rarely ever watch "Network" TV anymore seeing as 90% of it is terrible, and is so dependant on ratings. I still have to get through Six Feet Under, The Sopranos, Big Love, The Pacific, Breaking Bad and Bored to Death. Some good has come out of never seeing a series in its original airing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Just watched the last episode last night, thought it was a fantastic end to an amazing series. Can't believe we have to wait a year for series 2! I thought the finale really fleshed out some of the characters, the scene with Nucky talking to Margaret about his wife and child was very well done, very moving. It was interesting to see another side to Nucky. I thought it was intriguing the way Margaret returned to Nucky, was it because she saw his vunerable side, or was it because she found the rag in the brack and realised she would be destitute without him??? Maybe not as moral as she thinks she is?

My favourite character is definitley Nelson (or as I call him, Rex Banner http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Rex_Banner ) His face when Lucy told him she was pregnant was absolutely priceless. He is a whole lot of crazy and I can't wait to see how that story unfolds.

I really don't get the critism that it is slow moving. I don't find it slow at all, true it isn't your typical 'shoot em up' gangster series, but a lot happens in each episode. I think they just allow the acting and dialogue to take centre stage rather than relying on shoot outs and cheap shots.

I can't believe the people who say it looks cheap and fake, I think they are really picking faults. I think the set and costumes are just sumptious, and I would never have guessed that there was so much CGI involved.

Roll on series 2 and beyond I say!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Thought it was OK, certainly not as enamoured with it as others on this thread. Some good acting, personally I like the look of it but its all just a bit hollow and all by the numbers.

Oh, and I wish Jimmys missus would just f*ck off to Paris, what does she bring to the story apart from a nice line in looking miserable. Talking of Jimmy, was the meeting at his dads house supposed to be the same night as the victory party? He sobered up fecking quick if it was.

ncmc wrote: »
    Just watched the last episode last night, thought it was a fantastic end to an amazing series. Can't believe we have to wait a year for series 2! I thought the finale really fleshed out some of the characters, the scene with Nucky talking to Margaret about his wife and child was very well done, very moving. It was interesting to see another side to Nucky. I thought it was intriguing the way Margaret returned to Nucky, was it because she saw his vunerable side, or was it because she found the rag in the brack and realised she would be destitute without him??? Maybe not as moral as she thinks she is?

My favourite character is definitley Nelson (or as I call him, Rex Banner http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Rex_Banner ) His face when Lucy told him she was pregnant was absolutely priceless. He is a whole lot of crazy and I can't wait to see how that story unfolds.

I really don't get the critism that it is slow moving. I don't find it slow at all, true it isn't your typical 'shoot em up' gangster series, but a lot happens in each episode. I think they just allow the acting and dialogue to take centre stage rather than relying on shoot outs and cheap shots.

I can't believe the people who say it looks cheap and fake, I think they are really picking faults. I think the set and costumes are just sumptious, and I would never have guessed that there was so much CGI involved.

Roll on series 2 and beyond I say!
    Have to agree with this point. I thought in each episode there was a lot of character development, and thought each episode was enjoyable in general.

nessy382 wrote: »
    hi

Hey Nessy....um, anything to add? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

nessy382 wrote: »
    hi
    Hey Nessy....um, anything to add? ;)

Not a lot by the looks of her posting history, but maybe she's just warming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Whilst not quite as damning, I wasn't impressed by it either, every now and then it seemed about to spark into life, before another appearance of the pathetic Mrs. Schroeder intervened.
    As someone pointed out earlier Kelly Macdonald and Michael Pitt were both difficult to watch, Macdonald's case wasn't helped by awful dialogue bestowed on her character.

All in all, well below average for HBO.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Flashgordon197

Shame if you dont get sky atlantic-you dont get this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Shame if you dont get sky atlantic-you dont get this!

....well, not quite. Its a bit like getting alcohol under prohibition otherwise.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Honestly, bar the production values, this felt like something you'd expect from Showtime. Really poor stuff. Buscemi wasn't very good either, and I usually really like him.

• Advertisement

Mindkiller wrote: »
    Honestly, bar the production values, this felt like something you'd expect from Showtime. Really poor stuff. Buscemi wasn't very good either, and I usually really like him.

Sorry but i have to add --> :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Well he isn't very good. His performance is flat and wooden. When he tries to go for cunning and guile he comes across as creepy and slightly goofy.

It's all a bit Emperor's New Clothes. Critics are raving about it yet I really don't see why.

The thing I hate the most about it, other than then hammy dialogue, is how they hammer home just how different the 20s are to our more 'enlightened' era. Like how they handle the suffragette stuff. Nothing subtle about it whatsoever. Everything about the writing in this series is so clunky.

So it probably isn't Buscemi's fault that he's so awful as Nucky. Maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

Considering the expense they went to with the massive set and costumes etc they should have made sure they had a decent storyline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Any dates for Season 2 to start? That teaser has me wanting to rewatch the first season

Any dates for Season 2 to start? That teaser has me wanting to rewatch the first season

I assume like last year, late September......the new trailer looks excellent!

• Advertisement

LOL!...Paz is at it AGAIN!!!!!!!

http://www.popeater.com/2011/06/27/boardwalk-empire-star-gets-sloppy-at-hotel-party/

http://uk.eonline.com/uberblog/b249464_boardwalk_empires_paz_de_la_huerta.html

'Boardwalk Empire' star Paz de la Huerta is in the middle of another sloppy scandal. The HBO troublemaker reportedly caused quite a scene last week at a fancy hotel party in New York, new that's definitely not helping her less-than-stellar reputation.

According to E! Online, de la Huerta attended UrbanDaddy's Chivas Day of Brotherhood gala at the Bowery Hotel and had her fair share of fun at the expense of other guests.

The actress, reportedly wearing a barely-there, slinky black dress, first angered partygoers when she cut the line to have her picture taken in faux photo shoot, set up on a couch. The photographer, who tried to give the HBO star suggestions, got snapped at by the sassy actress.

In what must have escalated into a really sloppy scene, de la Huerta reportedly began rolling around and making faces on the couch while an intrigued and irritated crowd began to form around her.

And then came the girl-on-girl kiss. After rolling around, the actress decided to grab a female friend for a makeout sesh on the couch in front of the crowd.

Luckily, two friends helped de la Huerta down off the couch and saved her from continuing the bizarre scene.

This isn't the first time the 'Boardwalk Empire' star has made headlines thanks to her less-than-appropriate public behavior. She was arrested last month for alleged assault when she reportedly threw a glass and punched a woman in her face while in New York City.

De la Huerta was charged with five misdemeanors, including attempted assault, harassment, fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon and dual counts of third-degree assault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Lesbian action, i'm sort of sad I missed out on it tbh. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,625 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is Season 1 out on dvd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭alcomoholic

hey im just currently on episode 7.

some questions i have.

who was the guy jimmy saw in the hospital who only had one eye??was he a guy in a previous episode that someone had stabbed in the eye or something??

also who are these three italian brother guys that your man doyle is hanging around with.

so in the first episode nucky had arranged a whiskey arrangement with dyle, but then doyles place got raided because of jimmy ratting.

then in the next episode, doyle was telling the three brothers that nucky had screwed him over, and the three brothers were saying ''you still owe us a hundred grand'' to doyle...

i dont understand who they are or how they're linked to doyle and his previous whiskey operation with nucky.

and why are they now just lurking in atlantic city for no reason, (ok obviously they performed that little robbery on nuckys bagman, and it looks like now theyre planning a robbery on nuckys casino)

any explanation for me?? no spoilers also please, beyond episode 7!!! thanks :)

and why did jimmy stop him and the other war hero from going into the room for the ''personnel inventory'' questions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭alcomoholic

just finished season 1.

watched game of thrones last week and loved it but this is definitely another step up in class.

brilliant. episodes 6 - 11 are just sensational, thoroughly hooked and jaw dropped numerous times, finale was slow paced but it resolved everything and sets us up nicely for season 2.

really loved the characters, jimmy really developed well throughout, almost going from boy to ruthless man. loved buscemi, tin man, van walden and jimmy. rothstein was also quite good, and al too.

definitely up there alongside the likes of the sopranos, here here i say!! long may it continue! another five or six series would really do the job!!

didnt see any problems with cgi, didnt even notice any had been used until i read it here in this thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement