Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HBO [US] Boardwalk Empire **Spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Trailer really has me excited about it again.

Good to see Michael K. Williams more to the fore.

Different show, same character. I'm not complaining anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Season 2 premieres Sunday September 25th according to the show's facebook page.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Episode #13: “21”:
    Nucky is rocked by an insurrection among his inner circle; Chalkyʼs life and livelihood are threatened by a vicious KKK attack; Margaret copes with her sonʼs disciplinary problems; Angela vies with Gillian for Jimmyʼs
    affections at home; Van Alden shows his wife Rose around town as an anniversary present. (Written by Terence Winter; directed by Tim Van Patten.) Playdates: September 25, 27 and 28.

Casting news per TVguide: The last time many viewers saw Dominic Chianese, his legendary Sopranos alter ego, Corrado "Junior" Soprano, was languishing with senile dementia in a rest home. This fall will find him substantially more compos mentis in the second season of HBO's Boardwalk Empire, which premieres September 25. According to the show's creator/executive producer (and fellow Sopranos alum) Terrence Winter, Chianese will guest in six of the season's 12 episodes as one Leander Whitlock, whom Winter describes as a contemporary of Dabney Coleman's Commodore. "He's almost unrecognizable," says Winter of Chianese's appearance. C'mon, we'd know that mug anywhere!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Excellent cant wait, back just in time for the open fire and hot cocoa.

Nucky%2B%2521.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

She couldn't act if you put a gun to her head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

'You go to school with dees crackers'

I don't know whether to lol or cringe at that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Excited for this.

The show was pretty great in Season 1, especially the fantastic Michael Shannon. In a cast so strong, it's a testament to him that he stands out!

Two things i'd like to see in Season 2. A bigger role for Michael K. Williams and the expansion of the character of Richard Harrow. I get the feeling both of these things are inevitable! Harrow's character seems to have such great potential.

Anybody got any idea when Sky Stlantic are gonna show this? Any chance it could be a situation like Entourage where they show it the night after the US premiere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Anybody got any idea when Sky Stlantic are gonna show this? Any chance it could be a situation like Entourage where they show it the night after the US premiere?

I suspect that's probably how they'll do it, they started airing the teasers a couple of weeks ago unless they plan on boring us with teasers for it for another 3 months. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

sorry to drag up an old thread, but I've been watching re runs of season one of Boardwalk Empire, and it seems to have just stopped on Sky Atlantic. I was recording it on Sunday nights., (or was it Monday mornings), and it seems to have disappeared off the listings????? Season 1 not even over yet going by the schedule I have been keeping to....

I have to agree with a lot of the posts. It's a fairly insipid show. It's not half as intelligent or well-written as some would have you believe. Seems like a cynical cash-in on the popularity of Mad Men if you ask me. Very similar show, except without the gangsters and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

Possibly the dullest show on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Geezer1000 wrote: »
    Possibly the dullest show on TV.

Possibly the dullest post on Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Found it boring enough myself.
    Could not give a shite whether any of the characters lived or died in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Personally I thought the characterization of all the characters was great - One benefit of the slower pace.

The obvious exception being Chalkie White who I hope gets more of an airing in Season 2

DON'T FORGET!!....TONIGHT PEOPLE....season 2 premiere!

Great looking forward to watching this tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Mindkiller wrote: »
    'You go to school with dees crackers'

I don't know whether to lol or cringe at that :rolleyes:

He said "you go school these crackers"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Yessssssssssssssssssssssss!!! I can't believe it new season starts today I didn't even know until I stumbled across this thread yahooooooooooooooo :D what a nice surprise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Any idea when this is back on Sky Atlantic?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

There's no sign of it showing up on the Sky planner yet, and that's up to next Sunday (2nd October).
    I thought I saw something somewhere about it coming 'in October', but I can't remember where exactly. :(

If they were showing it a day or two after the US début, I'd watch it on Atlantic, but it's looking like I'll be relying on the American cousin again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Nobody watches actual TV anymore - it's a dead medium. ;) Just download it, like the rest of us.

Dermighty wrote: »
    He said "you go school these crackers"
    Yeah I know, I typed it wrong. But I just thought it sounded so corny.

I dunno i gets mine from my second cousins neighbours uncle who sends it over to me by express post, the only way to go;)

2x01 now out, along with Pan Am....waiting for my CSI fix and i'll kick then nights viewing off :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

October 8th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

yeeeeha the winter tv viewing commences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Van Alden :eek:

What a twist :D
    He's a right cold fish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I lol'd hard at the bed hopping off the wall scene. Classic :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

great opening for the new series. have to say the chalky scene at the beginning was quite shocking and unexpected i hope it sets the tone for the rest of the series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Are we going to see a race war I wonder?

Chalky was arrested for his own protection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

"When Jimmy was a baby.. I use to kiss him on his winky"

:eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Totally forgot that this started again, can't wait to see the first episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

It creeps me out that Jimmy always kisses his mom on the lips but his wife on the cheek..... I wonder if there is more than meets the eye. His mother is just gorgeous!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

he kissed his wife on the lips in the most recent ep, just after he kissed his mother

the winky thing was just strange

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Great new episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

Good episode. I enjoyed the montage at the start and the song playing in it suited it's tone. Van Alden is becoming one of my favourite characters. Richard "The Tin Woodsman" Harrow is an excellent character and has kept me intrigued since his first episode.

That "winky" line from Jimmy's mother was nuts! On the run up to this I've been watching series 1 again and noticed a strange scene with them both When Jimmy first visits her after he returns from the war she's just after getting off stage, nearly in the nip and she leaps on him and kisses him quite alot. As a previous poster mentioned I think there may be more than meets the eye with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Couldn't find a thread on this so...

I didn't entirely enjoy the first season of Boardwalk. It was OK, I guess, but it never really grabbed me and pulled me in, despite the fantastic production values and some very fine acting.

The first episode of season 2 had the same effect on me. Left me a little cold. Not much really happened, but then again I suppose they had to spend most of the time reintroducing the characters. Van Halden was funny (him punching the waiter was a real HOLY S**T kinda moment), and Richard is brilliantly creepy as always. But I don't really care about any of the characters to be honest and unless the next few episodes grab my attention I'll probably be abandoning it tbh.

Oh, and that theme song is STILL f**king atrocious. I hate it.

I watched the last few episodes of the season recently when I had nothing else to watch. I definitely agree that there's something a little off about it. It's a tad soulless. Almost like it's just a cynical attempt to cash in on the popularity of gangster shows and period dramas. Madmen meets Tony Soprano if you will. It's all very 'me too'.

Buscemi is usually quite good but I found him almost a little camp as Nucky Thompson. I'm not sure if he's just miscast or if he's meant to be corny. Margaret Schroeder seems to be bordering on satire with her accent but then again I guess people from Brooklyn probably think the same of Stephen Graham's accent.

The writing isn't all that sharp either. Goes through the motions. No real surprises.

Definitely agree that the intro is cack as well. One of the worst I've seen for a HBO show. Those closeups of Buscemi looking all triumhpant and gloating as all the bottles come crashing in during a storm are about as subtle as a hammer to the face. The CG-ed Buscemi is nightmare inducing. The music is very out of place as well. Too modern.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055807506&page=11

also the boardwalk intro is ****ing amazing, you two are just nuts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

Returns to Sky Atlantic on Saturday 8th October 9pm.

Jubbly Luvvly!

I know someone will probably call me out for deliberately picking one of the more negative reviews out of the bunch, but this review on AOLtv articulates exactly what I found so insipid about the first season: http://www.aoltv.com/2011/09/22/boardwalk-empire-expensive-misfire-for-hbo/

It's notable as well that there aren't as many hyperbolic reviews out this year.

It creeps me out that Jimmy always kisses his mom on the lips but his wife on the cheek..... I wonder if there is more than meets the eye. His mother is just gorgeous!

They have such a creepy "relationship"...it wouldn't surprise me if incest was par for the course for these two! :eek:

great line though!...the look on his poor wife's face! :p
    I think mommy had been doing a bit more then kissing his winky, if you get what i mean :eek:

• Advertisement

Good episode. I enjoyed the montage at the start and the song playing in it suited it's tone. Van Alden is becoming one of my favourite characters. Richard "The Tin Woodsman" Harrow is an excellent character and has kept me intrigued since his first episode.

That "winky" line from Jimmy's mother was nuts! On the run up to this I've been watching series 1 again and noticed a strange scene with them both When Jimmy first visits her after he returns from the war she's just after getting off stage, nearly in the nip and she leaps on him and kisses him quite alot. As a previous poster mentioned I think there may be more than meets the eye with them.

Just now watched the first ep. - excellent opener, 100% agree about Richard Harrow...he's just a fascinating and engrosing character, i suspect based on that ep. he is developing a fixtion on Jimmy's wife!, it's more then cutting up pics and playing happy families with him.

Van Alden, lol!....the bed, brilliant scene!, loved how he cooly just eats his dinner and called in the raid, timed it to perfection :D
    The wife was well impressed and wanted to jump his bones, but...he's on the take?, i wonder if Van Alden will murder the Paz who is preggers, cut out the baby and give it to his wife! :eek:

I also noted they are starting an IRA plotline with the "supporting the cause" line to the Irish bloke, i think margaret's Oirish accent has improved...bless her.

Chalky and the machine gun, woah!...loving the KKK angle here too, there is just TONS to history here to explore, so many stories to play on. great opener, looking forward to tonight!

4/5

Advertisement