Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero Wi-Fi problem

• 23-01-2010 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Posted in the HTC Hero Mega thread at first but it is so easy to get lost among all the other questions so I started this thread. Hope that is OK with the mods.

Is anyone else finding the wifi connection on the Hero a bit flaky? It works perfectly for me at work but not on my home setup. At home it will connect at first but then it drops after 3-5 mins even though the signal strength is still showing as ok.

This issue has been discussed elsewhere online and it seems there is a problem with the Hero and n grade routers but my router is g grade. I've tried changing all the security settings on the router, even turning off all security didn't solve the problem. My other wireless devices have no problem connecting to my home router - a Belkin Wireless G Plus MIMO.

I'm hoping someone might have a work around. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

what wifi channel is used by your router?
    what wifi channel is used by your phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭MrMan

The router is on Auto but I can't see a setting for it on the Hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

MrMan wrote: »
    The router is on Auto but I can't see a setting for it on the Hero.

wireless settings - press menu - advanced - regulatory domain.

Thanks for the help. Found the setting on the Hero and set it to 11 channels as the manual selection on the router runs from 1 to 11. Tried it with the router on Auto and then on channel 6. Same problem.

Is it worth going through all the other channels on the the router, 1 through 11?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

MrMan wrote: »
    Thanks for the help. Found the setting on the Hero and set it to 11 channels as the manual selection on the router runs from 1 to 11. Tried it with the router on Auto and then on channel 6. Same problem.

Is it worth going through all the other channels on the the router, 1 through 11?

it is - but do yourself a big favour first and download the wardriver app from the market.
    Turn on Wifi, and then walk around your house. It should pick up all the wifi points around and you can then deduce what channels are free for you to run without interference.

Also avoid the lower numbers 1-3 as they tend to overlap with a lot of wireless RF devices and bluetooth (other channels do too, but I find these 3 get hit a lot).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

There is an App for the hero "Wifi Analyser"

Will show you all the nearby witreless networks and the channels they are on.

Very good for moving yours to a free channel.

I found my home network was using the same channel as next door. Working much better now.

Shane

Thanks for the wardriver tip RikD.

As suggetsed I've gone through all the channels on the router but I still have the same problem each time, after 3-5 mins the connection drops.

Advertisement