Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iron keeps tripping fuse box

• 23-01-2010 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I live in a oldish house with the more modern fuse box where the ELCB switch is activated before any fuse in blown.
    The problem I have is that lately when using the iron the ELCB trips out, I tried this in different sockets but still kept happening. I have now replaced the iron but I still have got this problem.

Can anybody tell me why this happens and what to do about it, I read somewhere that there may be an earthing problem with the electricity in my house.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Is there anything else that would be on while you are ironing?
    Has it ever happened without the Iron being on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Might be a short circuit within the iron

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

jimmyw wrote: »
    Might be a short circuit within the iron
    beckett1 wrote: »
    I have now replaced the iron but I still have got this problem.

Must be something else.

Might be best to get a sparks to check it out, will be hard to diagnose from here

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭davebuck

All socket circuits are protected by the ELCB is the wiring still old in the house and only the fuseboard replaced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

When you say you still have this problem, what are you using now when it trips out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭mossie110

it could be that the amp rating on the elcb may be to low, look the elcb which is tripping im not an expert but elcb's which are running sockets are 20 amps lights are 10amps, if your not comfortable working with electric wouls advice call a sparky just to make sure. better safe that sorry.
    mossie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭cpl_mick_1234

Hi Beckett,
    ELCB's are for Earth Leakage and Normally only Trip if you have a problem with the appliance.
    However if you have replaced the appliance and it is still Happening I would say that you may have a faulty earth into the house or your ELCB it's self maybe going. I would diffo say get your self a spark's to look at the Problem.
    It may also be a Problem with your Nuetral having a short some where that only show's up under a Load.
    Has the problem ever happened with anything else apart from the Iron?.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

It could be a dmamged power cord.

Plug out the iron and examine the power cord for damage, particularly where the lead enters the iron.

It is common enough for the lead to fail causing a short circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 beckett1

Hi

The power only trips out when using the iron which I only bought 2 weeks ago.

I have unplugged everything else in the house and I tried using the Iron and with in a few minutes the power tripped again.

I think I might need to get an electrician in to have a look.

thanks for the advise

Karl

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

dingding wrote: »
    It could be a dmamged power cord.

Plug out the iron and examine the power cord for damage, particularly where the lead enters the iron.

It is common enough for the lead to fail causing a short circuit.

Read his post :)
    He replaced the iron!
    So we know for a fact its not a fault with the iron or its power cord

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i would try a double-insulated appliance like a hairdryer (on high setting) see if it trips-might indicate a fixed wiring problem
    Could even be some 'standing leakage' or faulty rcd.
    A new board and old wiring can be troublesome!
    Unlikely to be an insulation fault with the new iron but you never know.

Advertisement