Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how to change oil in suzuki scooter ?

• 23-01-2010 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi Guys
    I've been given a suzuki estilete scooter but it's been sitting in a shed for 7 years and wont start. I've put in a new battery but it only goes for a second and then cuts out and theres loads of white smoke coming out when i try to start it. I've been told this means the oil needs changing and I have new oil but i cant figure out how to change it. Any help would be great :)

oh yea could it be possible that the engine would seize up after being left for so long ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

the oil probabaly isnt the problem but it wouldnt hurt to change it, its a 2 stroke so there isnt any engine oil(2 stroke oil mixed with petrol lubricates the bike whilst its running) but there is a small amount of gear oil in a gearbox near the back wheel but this wouldnt stop it running.

more than likely whats wrong is the carburettor and/or the air filter is dirty.

also, did you put fresh petrol and 2 stroke in or did you just use the old stuff?

cleaning the carb can be an easy task but f you dont know what you are doing i would take it to a garage as you can end up making more of a mess of things than when you started. I doubt it would cost you more than 50 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭johnson1

Cheers weeder. I put in fresh petrol and oil but there was some old oil in it already i wanted to get out but couldn't. I don't see any gear oil container ?
    I wont be gong near the carburetor so I suppose i'll be off to a garage. Would you recommend any particular garage in dublin ?

not in dublin so thats not really my area, ive mixed fresh petrol and oil with old stuff before and it got me going but its not recommended, worst case scenario there is the garage will drain it all out and clean the system but it shouldnt be nessesary if they get the carb clean imo.

the gear oil lubricates the gearbox at the rear of the bik, im not sure where it is on your bike but im sure if you asked a garage they would change it aswell.

how many miles are on it? ive seen some scooters go 20k klms without a hub(gear) oil change.

weeder wrote: »
    not in dublin so thats not really my area, ive mixed fresh petrol and oil with old stuff before and it got me going but its not recommended, worst case scenario there is the garage will drain it all out and clean the system but it shouldnt be nessesary if they get the carb clean imo.

the gear oil lubricates the gearbox at the rear of the bik, im not sure where it is on your bike but im sure if you asked a garage they would change it aswell.

how many miles are on it? ive seen some scooters go 20k klms without a hub(gear) oil change.

Theres only 10000km on it it was rarely used.
    Do you think thats why it wont start ? or could it be something else ?
    I don't want to bring it to a garage and end up paying loads for it.

2 stroke engines need 3 things to run, spark, fuel and compression,you seem to have compression and spark so that leaves fuel(carburettor)

try a new sparkplug before you bring it to the garage though, bring the old one to the shop and they will know what type to give you. you could get lucky and only have a bad sparkplug

• Advertisement

I found the carburetor and the spark plug and it is caked in muck so i rekon your right on the carburetor. Would it be a stupid thing to get the hose and wash it off ? If you hadn't already noticed i haven't got a clue what im doing :)

bring it to a garage, whats on the outside of the carb wont effect how it runs.

Advertisement