Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car driving on map effect.

Options
  • 23-01-2010 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.
    I am making a promotional video for our team for the mongol rally.

What I want to do is have a miniture car driving along the route on a map.

I have seen this on other videos.

I am using Adobe Premiere Pro.

Could anyone give any tips on this.

Thanks

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

Have you any experience with 3d software? Maya? 3ds Max? Cinema 4d?

Theres probably tons of ways to go about this but if I was approaching it myself Id just model a basic car and then use a simple plane with the map as the texture, draw a curve on the map for the route thats been travelled and then use this as the animation path. To be honest its actually one of the more basic things you can do in the 3d apps I mentioned so if you can find anybody with a vague idea of those programs you're laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

Thanks for that.
    I thought I might have to use some of that software.
    Here is what I am talking about.
    It is at the start about 12 secs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

floydmoon1 wrote: »
    Hey guys.
    I am making a promotional video for our team for the mongol rally.

What I want to do is have a miniture car driving along the route on a map.

I have seen this on other videos.

I am using Adobe Premiere Pro.

Could anyone give any tips on this.

Thanks

John

Get the map you want as a jpeg or whatever. Stick that in on your video layer. Then get a png of a car, drop that in as your 2nd video layer, size it down to the size you want it, then use a motion effect to trace its route.
    I don't use Premier but would be very suprised if you cant do this with it. It could be done in Final Cut this way very quickly.

You dont need 3ds max etc to do this kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

As I mentioned theres probably a ton of ways to do it, I certainly never said you needed to use 3ds max, maaya etc, its simply how I would have gone about it. The method you mention would be flat and 2 dimensional, which may well be what hes looking for, I just personally prefer 3D.

This thread actually popped into my mind earlier and I did up a quick little mock version on a map of Ireland.

http://www.becomingproductions.net/route.avi

Its pretty basic and the movement of the car is in no way realistic but if you like the idea of it drop me a pm and I can do up a proper version for your dvd. It didnt take long to do so its no bother at all, plus Ive already got the car model and plane in place so its just a matter of replacing it with a map of your route and then animating the car model along that route. Sure let me know anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

I wasn't suggesting that what you said was wrong at all. He posted an example after you posted your suggestion and that example was 2d. I said he didn't need 3ds to do that kind of thing. Thats all.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

I'd use After Effects to do it, could be awkward in Premiere Pro. OP, get the After Effects trial, look at some tutorials on http://www.videocopilot.net and give it a whirl ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

Thanks for all the assist lads.
    PM sent to Splinter.
    Will link to the video once it is created.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

there's a tutorial on creative cow for a line tracing on a map. You could start with this if you would want a line trail. Then use after effects trial motion tracking to add you car

Advertisement