Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Help to Set up Wireless Router

• 23-01-2010 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi all,
    I wouldn't be the most technologically advanced when it comes to Wireless Routers and PC's but I 'm not with the Dinosaurs either.
    I bought a Buffalo Router and am trying to set it up.
    I have an existing Zykel router. The wire from this passes through a DSL Filter "Z-Blocker" and then it passes through another thing that splits between line and phone. I don't know whether either of these two things is necessary. I do know it definately works when they are all connected.
    So now to my new Buffalo Router.
    It has a set up wizard. It gives me lots of choices but none of whom I can get to set up.
    I get a choice between
    PPPoE/PPPoA
    Dynamic IP address
    Static IP Address
    and Bridge Mode.

Its says PPPoE/PPPoA is the normal selection for DSL.
    I'm on Broadband through the telephone line if this makes any difference.

Which of these 4 should I be selected?
    With almost all the choices I can go next next next without providing any information.
    Should I be providing some info (IP address (mine or the ISP's) - I don't know either)
    As this is a new router straight out of the box and it comes with just a black telephone wire (its described as a twisted pair telephone cable used for ADSL connection). Should I just have to connect this directly into the telephone socket? Or are adapters, filters, low pass filters or something else supposed to be on the end of this cable before it hits the telephone socket in the wall.

I'm baffled why at this stage in technology I can't just power it on and plug it into the telephone socket and it work straight away.:confused:

Any help or advice would be gladly taken:)

Kind Regards
    Hector

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 hectorhector

Hi ,
    Anyone have any ideas to help me get this wireless router setup?

Kind Regards
    Hector

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Hi all,
    I wouldn't be the most technologically advanced when it comes to Wireless Routers and PC's but I 'm not with the Dinosaurs either.
    I bought a Buffalo Router and am trying to set it up.
    I have an existing Zykel router. The wire from this passes through a DSL Filter "Z-Blocker" and then it passes through another thing that splits between line and phone. I don't know whether either of these two things is necessary. I do know it definately works when they are all connected.
    So now to my new Buffalo Router.
    It has a set up wizard. It gives me lots of choices but none of whom I can get to set up.
    I get a choice between
    PPPoE/PPPoA
    Dynamic IP address
    Static IP Address
    and Bridge Mode.

Its says PPPoE/PPPoA is the normal selection for DSL.
    I'm on Broadband through the telephone line if this makes any difference.

Which of these 4 should I be selected?
    With almost all the choices I can go next next next without providing any information.
    Should I be providing some info (IP address (mine or the ISP's) - I don't know either)
    As this is a new router straight out of the box and it comes with just a black telephone wire (its described as a twisted pair telephone cable used for ADSL connection). Should I just have to connect this directly into the telephone socket? Or are adapters, filters, low pass filters or something else supposed to be on the end of this cable before it hits the telephone socket in the wall.

I'm baffled why at this stage in technology I can't just power it on and plug it into the telephone socket and it work straight away.:confused:

Any help or advice would be gladly taken:)

Kind Regards
    Hector

Go with

PPPoE/PPPoA
    Dynamic IP address

The rest depends on you internet supplier.

With Eircom you do not need to set a username and password. With others you do.

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 hectorhector

Does anyone know if I need a password for Voadafone broadband to get a wireless router set up?:confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

It would be a help in posing such questions if the following basic information could be given (it saves attempting to extract it painfully over mulitple posts)

Who is your isp?

What make and model did you buy?

For example it is not clear so far whether you bought a 'cable router' or what is known as a gateway i.e. a wireless router with an integrated modem.

So hector I am hectoring you for alot more information please? As I regularly point out here boardsies are eager to help but we are not mindreaders.

Advertisement