Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liimited Account for Browsing Security

• 23-01-2010 10:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Some time ago someone said it was better for security reasons not to use your admin account for general browsing because if its attacked more damage will be done and to just use a limited account and if thats attacked you can remove/delete the account.

Seems sensible all right but I find it a nuisance going back and forth and can't send an email from limited a/c and a lot of my files are duplicated, its a bit of a pain.

So do you bother with a second a/c and if so how do you manage both a/c's without it doin your head in (sometimes) :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Sounds a bit OTT to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

i agree with webmonkey. seems a bit ott. i suppose it depends on your OS and firewall. you can set the UAC to notify of any program that tries to install anything. Zonealarm firewall and spybot are handy in that they ask you for anything that wants to change system settings. with IE8 too, security isn't a problem for me. best security of any browser, methinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

You have to balance security and convenience. If you want to completly protect yourself you have to remove all cd drives floppy drives usb ports and lock up your computer with a padlock and disconnect from the internet to ensure never getting infected. Of course this isn't practical or convenient.

Personally i find it too much hassle but the proper way you WOULD do it is to simply right click any programs and run as. Type in the details of your admin account and run. it is true that running you account as an admin does leave your computer open but with vista and windows 7 they've implemented natural ways (such as uac as said before) to cover that. Tbh i just disabled that too.

The real question is, can you afford to be in infected. Answer isn't always no. Hell if all you do is browse the web and play games (and don't do any banking or have important documents on your pc that you can't loose) then it wouldn't hurt you that much to reinstall or to loose some data. Simply backing up everything you need to a cd or usb stick and then using your windows install disk to reinstall would be pretty simple. Of course that's not even guaranteed to happen. If you know a little about what you should stay away from and keep your computer up to date you reduce the chance of being infected significantly.

Advertisement