Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acer 3810T / Lenovo SU7300 / Sony Y11

• 23-01-2010 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

All three available from Elara.ie around 810-860 euro

Just checking in for any experiences, comments?

Or alternatives for an ultrathin ultraportable notebook under a grand?

Light weight is important.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What do you want to do with it? As if it's only basic things like office, web browsing movies etc, a netbook could be a good option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

tried the netbook myself and didn't like it.. too small, underpowered and limited.
    Ended up with the Acer 1810 - 11.6" SU4100 CULV dual core laptop. 8hrs battery life, very light (1.4kg) and portable.
    trustedreviews gave it a good score, and having it now for just over a week I concur.
    I bought from laptopsdirect (I know many don't recommend them) but you can get from elara or dabs for €550 delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sysmod

if it's only basic things like office, web browsing movies etc, a netbook could be a good option.

Office yes, but I understand netbooks are too underpowered for big Excel models with VBA which is my main use. That's why I'd like dual core and 4GB RAM. HD size not too important.

web browsing yes, movies no, although again most reviews AFAICS complain about video performance.

Thanks for the reply,

Patrick

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sysmod

8 hours and 1.4Kh looks good to me - I'll check that - thanks!

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

Sysmod wrote: »
    8 hours and 1.4Kh looks good to me - I'll check that - thanks!

P.
    Your welcome - I've posted a small review on my blog here http://irish-networx.com/blog/blog4.php/2010/01/22/review-acer-aspire-10810tz
    Sysmod wrote: »
    Office yes, but I understand netbooks are too underpowered for big Excel models with VBA which is my main use. That's why I'd like dual core and 4GB RAM. HD size not too important.

web browsing yes, movies no, although again most reviews AFAICS complain about video performance.

Thanks for the reply,

Patrick
    Yep - these are the issues. Video is the killer on the netbook. That and the prices now. With 2GB ram a netbook is usable, but video is an issue. Sometimes you come across pages with multiple youtube embedded links and the atom just grinds to a crawl.. Many times having to kill the browser to do anything.
    the 1810tz is really good - and they have a 13" and 15" versions if the 11" screen is too small for you - but typically doesn't increase the res, just the size.

• Advertisement
Advertisement