Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney could do with HMV

Options
  • 23-01-2010 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭

Odds are pretty slim but it'd be great to have something like HMV in Tralee or Killarney,ust for a proper mix of cds and dvds, I know online is cheaper but it'd be sweet to have a proper selection in store, xtravision in Killarney is pretty good in value but seems to stock the same thing in dvds, it has probably the best value for new realese games, xtravision in the square Tralee is pretty rubbish. Gamestop can be easily beaten online for games, most of their second hand stuff can be bought for cheaper brand new online. What do people think of Roxy Records? They're shocking beyond belief.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Buy on the net..its the only way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I just want to kno what people think of Roxys!

siblers wrote: »
    I just want to kno what people think of Roxys!
    In a word..sh1t
    If you like buying complilation albums and best of collection its great...

I ordered two Jason Becker albums last year and they couldnt get any of them,in the end i felt like i was hassling them seeing if they had them in.

I work in one of them and they are terrible really, the choice of cds etc is appauling and the staff have pretty much no say in ordering srock , the special orders are a pure disaster alright. It's all done through the head office but they're understaffed so half the stuff is forgotten about.

Is Poxy Records the only music shop in killarney,apart fron that Director place in the Outlet centre,which is also a hit and miss place.

• Advertisement

Music Express has some ok back catalogue musicstuff but it's pretty pricey, in all honesty if you have a credit card you're gonna buy online. I don't ever really see myself buying on the high street anymore, for an extra couple of days waiting you've saved usually 20-50%

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Cant see anyone opening a CD/DVD shop in Killarney, music sales are mostly online and when Broadband speeds increase DVD/Film will follow.

Plenty of empty units in Killarney for one but cant see anyone replacing *oxy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Roxy are smug and complacent because they've been around so long, then again so was Kiely's Electrical.:(

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Roxy are smug and complacent because they've been around so long, then again so was Kiely's Electrical.:(

Roxy in Killarney have Ticketmaster so that brings in customers but as for buying a DVD my call is Directors Cut in the Outlet Centrs

newman10 wrote: »
    Roxy in Killarney have Ticketmaster so that brings in customers but as for buying a DVD my call is Directors Cut in the Outlet Centrs

Ticketmaster, a boil on the arse of humanity.

Last time I bought something from Roxy was a 99cent bargain cd single about 5 years ago. When I got back home twenty miles away I opened the case and it was empty.:(

• Advertisement

Ticketmaster ruins my life, absolute pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I didn't know people actually still buy cds. Don't think I've ever bought a cd to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

I guess there is Tesco for new cds.
    I always had it in my mind to open up a cool music and dvd store in Killarney.
    I guess it is quite difficult with the huge competition but I dont know if you did it right you might be onto something.
    I guess Trad Irish music stores do well during the summer with the tourists.

A rumour doing the rounds is that Gamestop are looking to expand into CDs and DVDs but they may not stock the top 20 sellers until they become a discount product

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

There is also Lee records, who are good at ordering in stuff [no longer in Killarney tho']

HMV are pretty crap, gimmie an independent record store anyday !

A rumour doing the rounds is that Gamestop are looking to expand into CDs and DVDs but they may not stock the top 20 sellers until they become a discount product

That would be the death of roxys, they already totally killed off game sales for Roxys. Problem with them doing it is room, kinda hard to do a full range of new games and 2nd hand games while trying to do cds nad dvds.

Gamestop always have no room!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Given the state of the music industry both worldwide and in Ireland, there isn't a hope in hell of HMV or anyone like them opening in Killarney.

Chances are Roxy will do well to survive into the medium future as there's just no way a physical shop can compete against online in terms of costs.
    Combine that with the overall decline in the sale of physical recorded music and things look very bleak for record stores.

Given the state of the music industry both worldwide and in Ireland, there isn't a hope in hell of HMV or anyone like them opening in Killarney.

Chances are Roxy will do well to survive into the medium future as there's just no way a physical shop can compete against online in terms of costs.
    Combine that with the overall decline in sales of physical recorded music and things look very bleak for record stores.

IMO they are very bleak for many Shops in Killarney:(

IMO they are very bleak for many Shops in Killarney:(

It's bleak all round.:(

Every town you go through, there seem to be large numbers of empty shops. Any landlords with mortgages on these empty properties must be suicidal at this stage.

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It's bleak all round.:(

Every town you go through, there seem to be large numbers of empty shops. Any landlords with mortgages on these empty properties must be suicidal at this stage.

Just got a 30% rent reduction from my Landlord today and now the Rent is not the bigest issue for me.

Just hope that people will start to spend a few pennies again.

With Adams Childrenswear in Administration, a location for a large DVD/Music/Book shop may be available but I could not see anyone except a € Shop taking it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

While it's bleak all around, I think it's very hard to see any future in record stores long-term. At least with other retail type operations there is the possibility that things will improve when the recession ends and things start to pick up, but I don't think you can say the same about the sale of recorded music industry i.e. record stores. Saw a stat saying the sale of recorded music was down 20% in Ireland last year.
    Just got a 30% rent reduction from my Landlord today and now the Rent is not the bigest issue for me.

Just hope that people will start to spend a few pennies again.

With Adams Childrenswear in Administration, a location for a large DVD/Music/Book shop may be available but I could not see anyone except a € Shop taking it

Congrats on the rent relief - I think landlords have finally realise it's better to have a tenant paying some rent than no tenant at all.

Was talking to someone recently and they were saying that €2 Stores and bookies were the only ones making any money. I think the last thing we need in Killarney is more bookies, so could well be on the money about the €2store.

Adams has the closing down sign so it did not last long in administration

More job losses and another empty Shop :(

Advertisement