Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Van Nistelrooy gone to Hamburg !

• 23-01-2010 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Just saw a report there on rte.ie that he has joined them!!! Really thought he would come Premier League!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I don't think his legs would've been the same for the pace of the PL to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

tax is too high in england

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

Same here, expected him to end up in the Prem League. Was hoping he'd go to Liverpool. He must reckon that this is the best way to make the Dutch team for the World Cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

thanks. Ill put this in my january transfer window thread.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Read yesterday that Spurs refused to pay him £100,000 a week. He's a damn good goal-scorer, but there's no point breaking the bank on him when there's such a risk of serious injury.
    Wonder if Hamburg will pay him that much...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

That_Guy wrote: »
    I don't think his legs would've been the same for the pace of the PL to be honest.

I think that he would have been fine. Is a good move for him, reckon he will score goals.

I think that he would have been fine. Is a good move for him, reckon he will score goals.
    didnt finish well for him with United. Had him in my fantasy league the year he finished with United. If i had known there was stuff going on between him and fergie would have sold him straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

He wasnt worth £100,000+ a week as he has a woeful injury record.

He came back at the start of the season after nearly a year out with a knee injury then he got himself injured again for another couple of months. Also the fact he is 33 going on 34 this year. Definitely high risk.

redout wrote: »

He came back at the start of the season after nearly a year out with a knee injury then he got himself injured again for another couple of months. Also the fact he is 33 going on 34 this year. Definitely high risk.

its a risk worth taking. compare him to a "low risk" signing like harewood at villa

Harewood
    transfer fee: £4m
    wages: £20,000 pw approx
    time at club: 3 years
    total outlay: £7.1m

RVN
    transfer fee: £0
    wages: £100,000 pw
    time at new club: 18 month contract
    total outlay: £7.8m

i know who id rather have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

It had to be RvN that David Sullivan at West Ham had said they had offered £100,000 a week to sign like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

He made the right choice in going to Hamburg.

He done well in Holland, UK, Spain and now he can throw his hand at Germany.

He made it clear a couple of days ago that he wouldn't be joining a Premier League team.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

Helix wrote: »
    its a risk worth taking. compare him to a "low risk" signing like harewood at villa

Harewood
    transfer fee: £4m
    wages: £20,000 pw approx
    time at club: 3 years
    total outlay: £7.1m

RVN
    transfer fee: £0
    wages: £100,000 pw
    time at new club: 18 month contract
    total outlay: £7.8m

i know who id rather have

Tell me this:

What if he gets another serious longterm injury which he has record of and your stuck paying £100,000 per week for a dud. If he wasnt so injury prone then perhaps but not with his record and age.

EDIT: Just to add he only moved because he came out of retirement again (how many times now?) to try go the world cup.

Tell me this:

What if he gets another serious longterm injury which he has record of and your stuck paying £100,000 per week for a dud. If he wasnt so injury prone then perhaps but not with his record and age.

as opposed to a "low risk" player who never plays anyway? at least with rvn youll get goals when he plays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

RVN is not worth 100k a week :rolleyes:

didnt know hamburg had monies like that floating around tbh

Helix wrote: »
    as opposed to a "low risk" player who never plays anyway? at least with rvn youll get goals when he plays

All I am saying is that I would be more prudent to go for a player who doesnt have an injury track record like his especially if your going to have to pay such high wages. Surely players can be brought in who score goals and dont carry a dodgy injury record.

All I am saying is that I would be more prudent to go for a player who doesnt have an injury track record like his especially if your going to have to pay such high wages. Surely players can be brought in who score goals and dont carry a dodgy injury record.

yeah possibly, but would they also have the marquee factor of rvn? for clubs like hamburg, that factor cant be disregarded. there are a LOT of clubs who could do with a big name like that to kick them on a little in terms of how theyre seen in terms of ambition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Wonder if Hamburg will pay him that much...
    With a lower tax rate, they won't quite have to. 45% top rate v 50% but it'll give them a bit of help.
    didnt finish well for him with United. Had him in my fantasy league the year he finished with United.
    Still scored 24 goals though, 21 in the league despite being dropped for a bit. Hardly shabby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

RVN is not worth 100k a week :rolleyes:

didnt know hamburg had monies like that floating around tbh

them german clubs are bloody well run. The premiership would do well to take a look at the bundesliga's business model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Good move for him tbh. German league isn't renowned for it's defensive qualities these days, so he'll get a lot of opportunities and chances to demonstrate his finishing imo. And Hamburg aren't exactly blessed with big names either so he should have no problem carving a starting place. I think he'll give van Marwijk a good headache.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    them german clubs are bloody well run. The premiership would do well to take a look at the bundesliga's business model.

and adopt a drinking culture like them also...:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

ZOMFG!121!!! he didnt go to the "best league in the world"!?

Its coz hes finished innit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

As a loan signing 100,000 a week wouldn't be too bad for a player of his calibre. It is no surprise that he went to Germany. I would say that there is limited money available in the EPL for players like RvN. Good gamble for Hamburg.

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    With a lower tax rate, they won't quite have to. 45% top rate v 50% but it'll give them a bit of help.

Still scored 24 goals though, 21 in the league despite being dropped for a bit. Hardly shabby.
    think he finished the second half of season on bench. Not disputing his form at all. One of the best strikers United have had but there seems to have been a bit of a falling out between him and fergie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

He came back after injury, scored a goal within 3 minutes, then injured himself celebrating....out for another couple of months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He's 33 now, but he still has something to offer imo. Should be a good buy for Hamburg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

PHB wrote: »
    He's 33 now, but he still has something to offer imo. Should be a good buy for Hamburg.

Agree , good move for both IMO, Even at 33 he'll still score goals ,one of the best finishers in the last ten years , Has scored goals every where he has been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

Van Nistelrooy came off the bench and scored 2goals in 2mins helping hamburg to a 3-1 win.

Such a pity he didn't come to the Premier League on loan.

The man is an absolute legend.
    The Dutchman entered the fray in the 65th minute with the score at 1-1 and struck twice in a three-minute spell to hand Stuttgart their first defeat under former Tottenham Hotspur coach Christian Gross.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I was working for Nike in Holland and who should sit down in the canteen at the table beside us but old Ruud himself. Had to resist the temptation to go up and shake his hand. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Was he eating grass? Or salt-lick?

I'm terrible.

Nah seriously, if I were in his shoes I would probably want to try a new league rather than go back to the EPL.

Good move for him tbh. German league isn't renowned for it's defensive qualities these days, so he'll get a lot of opportunities and chances to demonstrate his finishing imo. And Hamburg aren't exactly blessed with big names either so he should have no problem carving a starting place. I think he'll give van Marwijk a good headache.
    Surely he would want to be playing against top defenders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Surely he would want to be playing against top defenders?

Theres only a handful of top class defenders in the Premiership, don't kid yourself. Standard of defending in the league, especially this season is appalling. Even in the top four theres been some pretty awful stuff this year. Outside it, a lot of it is laughable.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Theres only a handful of top class defenders in the Premiership, don't kid yourself. Standard of defending in the league, especially this season is appalling. Even in the top four theres been some pretty awful stuff this year. Outside it, a lot of it is laughable.
    the point im making that moving to Germany because defending is supposedly not as good as other leagues shouldn't be an incentive for RVN. Anytop player worth his salt wants to play against the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

the point im making that moving to Germany because defending is supposedly not as good as other leagues shouldn't be an incentive for RVN. Anytop player worth his salt wants to play against the best.

Point I'm making is that he wouldn't have ancountered that much top class defending in the Prem either way. Most of it is cat.

Well I assume the lack of defensive talent in the prem is alluding to the teams below the top 4?

If so I would it is a really tough comparison unless you watch alot of football in the other leagues (especially when it isn't the so-called big teams playing each other).

However there are players like, Dunne, Cahill, Collins, Haangland, King (deswpite injuries), Onuhaha (sp?), Yobo, etc etc.

Maybe we mean the general setup/stlye of defedning that is poor rather than the individual players? I certainyl find it hard to believe the Prem's defenders are any worse that La Liga's, Germany's or Dutch. Serie A is really all I can believe .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

noodler wrote: »
    Well I assume the lack of defensive talent in the prem is alluding to the teams below the top 4?

If so I would it is a really tough comparison unless you watch alot of football in the other leagues (especially when it isn't the so-called big teams playing each other).

However there are players like, Dunne, Cahill, Collins, Haangland, King (deswpite injuries), Onuhaha (sp?), Yobo, etc etc.

Maybe we mean the general setup/stlye of defedning that is poor rather than the individual players? I certainyl find it hard to believe the Prem's defenders are any worse that La Liga's, Germany's or Dutch. Serie A is really all I can believe .
    Again tho even Serie A is due to the set up and mindset of the teams more so then the over all quality

Again tho even Serie A is due to the set up and mindset of the teams more so then the over all quality

Thats fair enough, it just seems harsh the PL defenders would get so much stick just because the whole team plays faster football.

Maybe we do have to distinguish between differences in team defending and individuals defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Have you seen any matches in Serie A this season? Actually, have you seen any of the scorelines even? It's far from 0-0s this seasons.

cson wrote: »
    Have you seen any matches in Serie A this season? Actually, have you seen any of the scorelines even? It's far from 0-0s this seasons.

Great, even more of a boon for teh PL.

Two neat finishes. One on his left and one on his right. Great movement for both.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

• Advertisement
Advertisement